Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I ended up making a paypal account to grab one :dogstare: I figure canceling on the CC side will be good if the product doesn't show

do you recommend moving he bottom element to the top or what mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I ended up making a paypal account to grab one :dogstare: I figure canceling on the CC side will be good if the product doesn't show

do you recommend moving he bottom element to the top or what mods?

Disabling the temperature cutoff, and moving both elements to the top are all I did for mine, and it was great. If you want to go low-commitment, you can disable the cutoff by itself and see how that goes. My issue there is the stone would get way too hot, and the bottom would get scorched before the top could cook. I think that's why both-on-top works so well (if you want high temps). The stone can handle the bottom, but you need a ton of heat on top and a single element isn't enough.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

For margherita in a gas oven, pizza stone on the top shelf-- any input on whether it's better to put the cheese on from the beginning, or bake halfway without, and then add it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

clockworx posted:

Disabling the temperature cutoff, and moving both elements to the top are all I did for mine, and it was great. If you want to go low-commitment, you can disable the cutoff by itself and see how that goes. My issue there is the stone would get way too hot, and the bottom would get scorched before the top could cook. I think that's why both-on-top works so well (if you want high temps). The stone can handle the bottom, but you need a ton of heat on top and a single element isn't enough.

more elements seem to be about the price of the oven so I'll stick with this until I can source more ovens. Do you recall where you got the instructions for disabling the temp cuttoff?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

more elements seem to be about the price of the oven so I'll stick with this until I can source more ovens. Do you recall where you got the instructions for disabling the temp cuttoff?

I actually didn't buy another element, I just grabbed the one from underneath and put it on top. That heated the stone up to plenty hot.

Temperature cutoff I think depends on the oven - in most cases it's like this: (Also, you need to keep in mind where you are on the dial since you no longer have a "stop" - typically I was only 90-180 past the stock "stop" point)

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5980.0

One oven I had had an additional thermal cutoff located in the lower area below the stone, which I just snipped out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll have to wait for another sale (or even availability of these ovens) the seller wasn't legit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'll have to wait for another sale (or even availability of these ovens) the seller wasn't legit.

Can you offer any details? Nice to know what to do in case it happens to anyone else.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
See if I can get the right thread this time.

I tried a google search but it just gave me 8,000,000 hits on recipes... I've been buying Boars Head pepperoni and it's way too greasy. Should I be looking for something specific for pizza or buy another brand?
(or as suggested elsewhere, precook the pepperoni)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ola posted:

Can you offer any details? Nice to know what to do in case it happens to anyone else.

Got an email saying the account was compromised. It was somewhat expected with not acceping CC's directly and the feedback from the seller being a year old (mostly buying.) It was a yahoo account and every one of those that've ever existed got compromised a few years back. I'm just going to mash I didn't get the item on ebay & dispute with my CC if the paypall transaction goes through.

I cannot find an analogous product available in the US anymore though. There's the Breville, Forno, and Kalorik but I cannot find any literature that they are modable

wormil posted:

I tried a google search but it just gave me 8,000,000 hits on recipes... I've been buying Boars Head pepperoni and it's way too greasy. Should I be looking for something specific for pizza or buy another brand?
I don't see a problem tbh. If you can get the top heat cranked up more that can also help with grease.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 25, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Yeah microwaving the pepperoni really quick sandwiched between a couple paper towels does wonders.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

wormil posted:

Maybe check out the Boar's Head natural casing vs the pre-cut stuff. Maybe it was just the way I cut it but I didn't find it especially greasy vs other pepperoni, and the flavor is top notch.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Easy solution: Quarter the pepperonis, apply the same count of pepperoni units. Treat them more like a spice than the meat in a main course.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

I cannot find an analogous product available in the US anymore though. There's the Breville, Forno, and Kalorik but I cannot find any literature that they are modable

Most of the clamshell ones work the same way - element on top, element on bottom.

Here's one of the "original" ones one eBay that is moddable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DENI-PIZZA-BELLA-Electric-Pizza-Stone-Oven-NEW/123133157184?hash=item1cab4edf40

I had a custom search I set up on ebay, but you'll still get tons of noise from other stuff - there's just so many variations, and also false positives.

pizza (maker,oven,bella) -hamilton -mini -breville -presto -toaster -quesadilla -oster -red -crocker -rotating -infrared -mirro

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Easy solution: Quarter the pepperonis, apply the same count of pepperoni units. Treat them more like a spice than the meat in a main course.

I prefer having joy in my life.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

I prefer having joy in my life.

It's not as sad as it sounds. It's like the learning experience everyone in this thread has had, when you go from "all the cheese!" to "the right amount of cheese..."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

clockworx posted:

Most of the clamshell ones work the same way - element on top, element on bottom.

Here's one of the "original" ones one eBay that is moddable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DENI-PIZZA-BELLA-Electric-Pizza-Stone-Oven-NEW/123133157184?hash=item1cab4edf40

I had a custom search I set up on ebay, but you'll still get tons of noise from other stuff - there's just so many variations, and also false positives.

pizza (maker,oven,bella) -hamilton -mini -breville -presto -toaster -quesadilla -oster -red -crocker -rotating -infrared -mirro

Thanks I grabbed that one.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

It's not as sad as it sounds. It's like the learning experience everyone in this thread has had, when you go from "all the cheese!" to "the right amount of cheese..."

(to be fair its tough to go overboard with pan pizza, which is what I've been doing more of lately)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

(to be fair its tough to go overboard with pan pizza, which is what I've been doing more of lately)

Post/username combo.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah microwaving the pepperoni really quick sandwiched between a couple paper towels does wonders.

Seems like the simplest solution, will give it a try.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

For margherita in a gas oven, pizza stone on the top shelf-- any input on whether it's better to put the cheese on from the beginning, or bake halfway without, and then add it?

I put the cheese on at the beginning and add the basil leaves about 3 minutes before it’s done so it doesn’t burn.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Apparently what my guests all want are pizzas rolled out flat with no discernible outer crust and weak gluten. Neapolitan with a thin center but narrow, but puffy crust is meh. New York with a smaller outer crust but less thin center is not wanted. However, if I just blow the whole thing away with a roller, then everybody is happy. I ultimately made 18 pizzas that way yesterday.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Apparently what my guests all want are pizzas rolled out flat with no discernible outer crust and weak gluten. Neapolitan with a thin center but narrow, but puffy crust is meh. New York with a smaller outer crust but less thin center is not wanted. However, if I just blow the whole thing away with a roller, then everybody is happy. I ultimately made 18 pizzas that way yesterday.

Yeah, some people have taught themselves than "thin pizzas" is what is cool and that no discernible dough is what constitutes a thin pizza. Might as well drop the dough and put sauce and toppings on tortillas.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Held a pizza and hockey party for us crazy Vegas people.

Standout was the tomato truffle sauce with fresh fig off my fig tree with buffalo mozzarella.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ola posted:

Yeah, some people have taught themselves than "thin pizzas" is what is cool and that no discernible dough is what constitutes a thin pizza. Might as well drop the dough and put sauce and toppings on tortillas.

Funny you should say that, because last minute tortilla pizzas are loving delicious. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/extra-crispy-bar-style-tortilla-pizza-recipe.html

There are about a million different styles of pizza, and all are awesome in different ways. Thin, crunchy, cracker crust pizza cut into squares (sometimes called bar pies, sometimes Chicago-style thin, etc.) is much different than a spergy, perfected Napoletana for sure, but it's not inherently better or worse, either.

There are lots of recipes on the pizzamaking forums for cracker-style pizzas. I own a giant heavy dough docker because of them!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

We had a goon here who was attempting to do super thin crispy crust at home and never came back to report :(

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I tried making a calzone. I used fresh mozzarella and it was like cutting into a water baloon :(

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

I tried making a calzone. I used fresh mozzarella and it was like cutting into a water baloon :(

When using very wet fresh mozzarella I put them between two plates (with paper towels above and below) and put some weight on the top of it to get out some of that water.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

When using very wet fresh mozzarella I put them between two plates (with paper towels above and below) and put some weight on the top of it to get out some of that water.

Good tip! I should have thought of that, it's similar to cooking with tofu.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We had a goon here who was attempting to do super thin crispy crust at home and never came back to report :(

Either he got it right and is now too fat to reach his keyboard, or he got it wrong and died of shame.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Just made pizza on the new baking steel for the first time tonight. Trip report: hell yes

Fake edit: used the Serious Eats NY style crust recipe and made my own sauce. I made 3 pizzas, and figured out after the first one that I need to lower the oven rack to avoid burning the cheese under the broiler before I get nice spots on the crust. Also, I really underestimated how much time the stone would need in the oven to heat back up between pizzas. ...And I think when I do this next time, I will let the dough cold ferment for 3 days instead of 1 if I can plan ahead far enough. But overall they were some delicious pies and I'm considering doing this again this weekend.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The browning on that cheese in the first pic looks pretty spot on imo!

I need to make some pizza again this weekend, it's been too long.

....but first I need to polish off the leftover frozen pizza already in the freezer.

Goon_world_problems.txt

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Does this thread have a favorite pizza peel? I am looking for a metal one with a relatively short handle.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

legendof posted:

Does this thread have a favorite pizza peel? I am looking for a metal one with a relatively short handle.

Any particular reason for a metal one? In my experience, wood is about a million times easier to launch off of, with way less flour. Below is the small wooden one that I used and loved.

https://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Royale...mboo+pizza+peel

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there's the super peel that's been mentioned as good but I don't have it yet. I probably will if the paddles suck for the clamshell. Clock you drilled holes in yours to move the elements? I may get a second one to mod and just do the temp and maybe a reflector for this one.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

Any particular reason for a metal one? In my experience, wood is about a million times easier to launch off of, with way less flour. Below is the small wooden one that I used and loved.

https://www.amazon.com/Pizza-Royale...mboo+pizza+peel

Because I also need to use it to get pizzas off of the baking steel while it's still in the oven, which I imagine is much easier with a metal one.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

legendof posted:

Because I also need to use it to get pizzas off of the baking steel while it's still in the oven, which I imagine is much easier with a metal one.

A wooden peel is so much better for launching, and launching is much more critical. A lovely launch turns all your hard work into a soggy pile of trash.

I don't use a peel or spatula to get a finished pizza, I use tongs or gloves and slide onto a cutting board.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I don't even bother with tongs. I just turn my cutter sideways, press it against the inside crust and pull the pizza onto the cutting board.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

legendof posted:

If you only want to have one thing, get the wooden one still. Once the crust is even partially cooked, you can lift it with tongs or a fork or whatever to slip the wooden one underneath.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Hmm in that case, is there a significant advantage over using a large wooden cutting board I already own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Clock you drilled holes in yours to move the elements? I may get a second one to mod and just do the temp and maybe a reflector for this one.

I think I snipped the wires in the bottom and unscrewed it, but did have to cut a "gap" in the top rim similar to the existing element.