Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

Somewhere out there is an Indian Rob Manfred frantically trying to reduce the time between bowls.

You joke but slow over rates are actually a thing in cricket and captains can get fined for them.

Also you occasionally get ridiculously close fielders in cricket, like within 20 feet. Usually a position given to the youngest player on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/999733270404386816

Austin Meadows has played in six (6) major league games.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trout has a legit shot at 40/40. Homered and stole a base today and is on pace for ~48 HR and 39 SB.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

Trout has a legit shot at 40/40. Homered and stole a base today and is on pace for ~48 HR and 39 SB.

I never realized this list was so rare and loving Jose Canseco is one of them :lol:

I knew Bonds and A-Rod did it, Soriano is the fourth.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
e. Wrong thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vlad was one sb short iirc

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

euphronius posted:

Vlad was one sb short iirc

An HR, actually, as was Matt Kemp in 2011.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Austin Meadows is good

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Does anyone have any nice charts for how Felix Hernandez went from incredible to butt since the 2014 season?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
No Pirate has hit 40+ home runs in my lifetime lol.

Last instance was Stargell in 1973. Giles hit 39 in 1999.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Don’t look up what a career wicketkeeper’s hands look like

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shiroc posted:

Does anyone have any nice charts for how Felix Hernandez went from incredible to butt since the 2014 season?

That's probably not the whole story but I would imagine it's part of it!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Don’t look up what a career wicketkeeper’s hands look like

EDIT: I regret this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Arm death”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

He still hasn't been caught stealing this year, so he needs to run more and get some padding on that 40-steal pace

Some Numbers posted:

An HR, actually, as was Matt Kemp in 2011.
Kemp was also denied a final shot at it that year, as the Dodgers only played 161, never making up a rainout vs WAS since both teams were bad.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Considering his walk rate, he had another one today, he should absolutely be stealing more.

Ohtani with a 2 double, 2 walk day. :toot:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

That's probably not the whole story but I would imagine it's part of it!

10 consecutive seasons of 190 IP or greater, with five of those being +230 IP from 2006-2015. That his arm hasn't fallen off is a miracle.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/999692059702382592

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Felix has thrown over 2500 innings and he hasn't discovered Verlander's secret, which lets him keep throwing in the upper 90s.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: I regret this.

Good lord, you weren't kidding. It's like ballet dancer feet but for hands.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Felix Hernandez posted:

“My style doesn’t change because I still have the same pitches, and they’re pretty good pitches,’’ Hernandez said. “The only thing is my fastball is not quite as fast.’’

Maybe Felix just needs to get extremely fat so he can make the Bartolo/Sabathia transition from fireballer to soft tosser.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Rays, who just lost Faria to an oblique strain, are going to have opening pitchers for all 3 games of the upcoming O’s series lol

The new rotation is Romo/Stanek/Romo, this team rules

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Shiroc posted:

Maybe Felix just needs to get extremely fat so he can make the Bartolo/Sabathia transition from fireballer to soft tosser.

I'm imagining a montage where Felix seeks out the snowbound monastery of the Slowmaster Supreme, Jamie Moyer

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shiroc posted:

The's M's need a Romo for Felix.

Edit: drat. I was joking, but he's now faced 16 batters over the next 5 innings after getting lit up early again.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 24, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

The's M's need a Romo for Felix.

Edit: drat. I was joking, but he's now faced 16 batters over the next 5 innings after getting lit up early again.

The Mariners just need some runs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Charlie Morton is one of the best pitchers in baseball

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edit:

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Rays, who just lost Faria to an oblique strain, are going to have opening pitchers for all 3 games of the upcoming O’s series lol

Okay, I know it's the O's, but is Cash just trying to out-Maddon Maddon? Relievers starting all three games seems insane.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If I had a shitshow team like the rays I’d try all kinds of wacky poo poo. Why the hell not? Maybe it boosts ticket sales.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

There was a sports science episode where they had a professional cricket player try to hit a baseball pitch and he looked terrible. Then Mark Reynolds went to play cricket and just smashed the poo poo out of everything.

Here's the segment. It's the best thing Mark Reynolds has ever done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qD2SlT_i38

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Play the All-Star game with cricket bats just to see what happens

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They called a guy who plays for the US national team a professional cricketer? :laffo:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

euphronius posted:

Charlie Morton is one of the best pitchers in baseball

I think the fact that Miles Mikolas is up there is more :vince:, but both are pretty bonkers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

They called a guy who plays for the US national team a professional cricketer? :laffo:

I didn't know we even had a national team.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This is what happens when you don't think about what you should do if they hit it to you.

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/999724930949439488/video/1

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dan Odowd's wet dream

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

the popes toes posted:

This is what happens when you don't think about what you should do if they hit it to you.

Hahahahahahaha, this rules.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

the popes toes posted:

All errors are bad but this is one of the most catastrophic I've ever seen

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I didn't know we even had a national team.

It's basically a team of first- or second-generation south Asian or Caribbean immigrants, who are basically reasonable-level amateurs in world cricket standards. In their last tournament the US team lost to Oman and Singapore. Putting one of their players up against a major leaguer is like putting a random 5k runner into the Olympic marathon.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

All errors are bad but this is one of the most catastrophic I've ever seen

It's not even the right play, he should be looking the runner back to 3rd then throwing to 1st.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

It's not even the right play, he should be looking the runner back to 3rd then throwing to 1st.

There were 2 outs! He shouldn't be doing ANYTHING except throwing to first

That's why the guy on 2nd was able to score he just started booking it when the ball was hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

It's basically a team of first- or second-generation south Asian or Caribbean immigrants, who are basically reasonable-level amateurs in world cricket standards. In their last tournament the US team lost to Oman and Singapore. Putting one of their players up against a major leaguer is like putting a random 5k runner into the Olympic marathon.
tbf the cricketer was batting against 80 mph fastballs and he still couldn't hit poo poo

• Locked thread