Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DeePee posted:

I received an e-mail that said "Ticket Sales Resume Thursday, May 24, at 10AM PST"

Was it actually 10am EST? :doh:

It was 10am local time.

I actually managed to get seats. I got two seats, not even close to being together and they both are terrible seats, but I got them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

It was 10am local time.

I actually managed to get seats. I got two seats, not even close to being together and they both are terrible seats, but I got them.

gently caress. My local time is EST. No idea why my e-mail said PST.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It was 10am local time.

How much you selling them for

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I keep looking because I'm dumb (so dumb I almost grabbed a seat that was better than the one I had knowing I could just sell the other one) but at least in boston there are still sporadic seats left.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I was trying to buy tickets. The clock went to zero. A screen came up saying "Tickets are about to become available...sit tight". Then when I could finally click Get Tickets, they were sold out. gently caress all this. Isn't there a way they can prevent bots from buying up tickets?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Keep trying. Tickets keep going in and out of being on sale. I now feel bad because not only could I have picked a better seat for me, I certainly could have picked a better seat for my friend who is gonna be stuck in the nosebleeds.

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
I couldn't get one for either Boston show myself. My wife not only got one, accidentally backed out and lost it, and then got another one. So i'll at least be at the Friday show.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DeePee posted:

gently caress. My local time is EST. No idea why my e-mail said PST.

Because Trent is dumb sometimes.

Despite what I said last page, I went ahead and tried to buy tickets because I'm a dumb consumer baby who's afraid this is the last time I'll ever be able to see him. But because the email said loving PST, I didn't get any tickets (I had the Thursday show, the last available Chicago show, in my cart but when I tried it failed and now whelp they're gone).

Oh well. Riot Fest goes on presale tonight so maybe I'll just see a ton of bands for the same price.

The cynic in me is wondering if Trent purposely put PST on all the emails so he could be like "see what a shitshow that was?!"

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 24, 2018

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I was able to check for NIN tickets for both Detroit shows at 11:30 EST and there were plenty of tickets still available. Back of the upper balcony is $92. No thanks. For the same price, I had APC seats at the middle of the floor and there was no pretension about "bringing people together" or 4+ hour lines.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its weird to see how old man yells at cloud hes being considering the buildup to year zero had all sorts of cool poo poo like finding usb drives in seedy concert hall bathrooms that had secret tracks on them to the arg that led to a secret meetup in a parking lot in la where people who figured out the arg and made it there in time got munition crates full of nin swag and a nin burner phone that would ring about a week later and just tell the holder of the phone an address, where they would be collected via bus and brought to a secret concert that was ended by a swat team raid juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust when they were going to play the perfect drug.

instead you guys got to wait 6.5 hours in the rain to talk to other 30-50 year olds and get some cool pieces of merch and listen to parts of a track like at a sam goody

yep basically

the year zero stuff was certainly a lot more interesting than the album ended up being

that fake FBI raid or whatever was legit cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Year Zero is still legit the best ARG that's ever been attempted.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Year zero is a top tier album

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Year zero is a top tier album
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people write NIN off as not being good anymore after a certain point (post-Fragile I guess?), but almost all of those people haven't even listened to Year Zero. It's seriously one of their best albums and it's so loving shortsighted to write them off entirely without hearing that album.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Year Zero remixed is also an extremely good album

the Great Destroyer remix :discourse:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Agreed, YZ really holds up, both musically and thematically. It was kind of a movie score and NIN album rolled into one.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people write NIN off as not being good anymore after a certain point (post-Fragile I guess?), but almost all of those people haven't even listened to Year Zero. It's seriously one of their best albums and it's so loving shortsighted to write them off entirely without hearing that album.

nin as great since year zero, an album i'd argue is better than THTF. the slip was okay, i think people were higher on it because it was free, ghosts was amazing, even beyond the marketing for the price and im kinda surprised we haven't gotten another instrumental album, hes marks was alright not a killer, i kinda dig the last couple EPs but in a way similar to the slip and not as much as Year Zero or even hesitation marks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't like Year Zero much and for the record here are the rest of my thoughts on 9" Nails

PHM - stone classic, one of the best pop albums of the 80s, like a white industrial Prince
Broken - stone classic
Fixed - even better than Broken
TDS - good, was great when i was an angry 19 year old, is less great now
The Fragile - boring, bad, and boring. can't even remember most of the songs on it.
With Teeth - boring and terrible but i did like the first and last songs alright
Year Zero - eh, 'sallright. "Capital G" is really good.
Ghosts - totally awesome
The Slip - it's bad
Hesitation Marks - it's REALLY bad

sidenote, hey remember around 2003 when Pretty Hate Machine was actually out of print and hard to find?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I didn't like Year Zero much and for the record here are the rest of my thoughts on 9" Nails

PHM - stone classic, one of the best pop albums of the 80s, like a white industrial Prince
Broken - stone classic
Fixed - even better than Broken
TDS - good, was great when i was an angry 19 year old, is less great now
The Fragile - boring, bad, and boring. can't even remember most of the songs on it.
With Teeth - boring and terrible but i did like the first and last songs alright
Year Zero - eh, 'sallright. "Capital G" is really good.
Ghosts - totally awesome
The Slip - it's bad
Hesitation Marks - it's REALLY bad

sidenote, hey remember around 2003 when Pretty Hate Machine was actually out of print and hard to find?
lmao would you even still consider yourself a fan of theirs if the last album you really liked came out 20+ years ago?

I don't even really count Ghosts. There's a lot of great material on there, don't get me wrong, but I'd sooner lump it in with Trent and Atticus' soundtrack work than call it a proper Nine Inch Nails album.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Hesitation Marks is really great

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hughesta posted:

i liked the instrumental track at the end a lot. it was an album that grew on me but it still is further in the back for my NIN queue

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hughesta posted:

Yeah, I still listen to the whole thing frequently. That album rules. There are a couple tracks that aren't so great (for example - I preferred the version of Disappointed they were playing live prior to the album coming out than the album version), but most of it is exceptional. Seeing some of that material performed live was awesome too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Hesitation Marks is about as good of a NIN album as can be reasonably expected at this point in Trent's life. It's good that it's not the nihilistic angry angst of his earlier stuff but instead is an album about his struggle to stay relevant, his insecurities, the happiness he's managed to find and what he's been through to get there and the fear that it could all fall apart at any second.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think Hesitation Marks is about as good of a NIN album as can be reasonably expected at this point in Trent's life. It's good that it's not the nihilistic angry angst of his earlier stuff but instead is an album about his struggle to stay relevant, his insecurities, the happiness he's managed to find and what he's been through to get there and the fear that it could all fall apart at any second.
He's surviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiived everything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWe_4AaH8Y

Also, I don't think they've played that song once live. I'm not sure why. Seems like one that would be fairly easy for them to pull off live (except for some of the high notes Trent would have to hit, though I imagine he could just sing them in a different octave or get Robin to sing them or something) and it looks like they've played everything else from that album live:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lmao would you even still consider yourself a fan of theirs if the last album you really liked came out 20+ years ago?

i said Year Zero was "alright", meaning "not bad". it's not great but it's totally listenable.

but i mean, i don't really want to take this thread down the "no true NIN fan" route

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saying an album is "alright" and "not great but it's listenable" doesn't make me think you enjoyed it.

I'm just saying, would you still consider yourself a Nine Inch Nails fan if you only really enjoyed the first few years of their career and everything from the mid-90s to the present has felt middling at best to you (except for an instrumental album that much more closely resembles a film score than a Nine Inch Nails album)?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Everything was sound checked and you could hear it be played live in the background in a YouTube video/documentary thing they did for the beginning of that tour

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Trent said he got tired of Everything, something to the effect of "it's become an irritant to me", which is why they ended up not playing it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

extradite THIS! posted:

Trent said he got tired of Everything, something to the effect of "it's become an irritant to me", which is why they ended up not playing it.

"There were a few moments of this album where I expected eyebrows to raise," Reznor says. "But that actually was not one of them. To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order. Somehow, that song has become representative of this as my 'happy album,' although I don't hear it as such. It's certainly not meant to make you feel like, 'Look at how great everything is!' But it seems to be the shocking moment of the record. We've not played it onstage, only in rehearsals. It's become an irritant to me."[4]

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Am I remembering incorrectly or didn't Trent write Everything as a song that was supposed to appear on a greatest hits compilation that ended up never coming out?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Honestly the actual YZ ARG was not that far off in terms of how elaborate it was.
IIRC the USB drives that were actually scattered in bathrooms at concert halls they played had audio tracks full of noise. People had to figure out that they needed to run a spectral analysis on the noise, which then revealed an image in the noise (it was the hand coming down from the sky), and I believe it also had coded letters that led you to a series of websites, and somewhere in the website's code was a link to a song.

Nah, the songs were in fact right on the flash drives. I remember being a member of ETS during the ARG and there were frantic riots of "JUST USE MEDIAFIRE HOLY gently caress" every time someone posted "guys i think i found the usb drive but idk how internet works"

There was a spectrograph image of the Presence at the end of My Violent Heart when it got found, which was moved to the end of The Warning on the actual album.

I think the craziest moment of that ARG was when a website went up offering Capital G as a free download, which confused everybody because the album was already out - but that version on the website turned out to be one with an inverted waveform, and stacking it against the audio file for the song from the actual album eliminated all the noise except a creepy voice saying the name of a new website. I wanna say it was... Red Horse Vector?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Am I remembering incorrectly or didn't Trent write Everything as a song that was supposed to appear on a greatest hits compilation that ended up never coming out?

Yes as well as Satellite, in the process of composing/recording those songs, he started work on a whole new album and it became Hesitation Marks.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Pirate Jet posted:

I think the craziest moment of that ARG was when a website went up offering Capital G as a free download, which confused everybody because the album was already out - but that version on the website turned out to be one with an inverted waveform, and stacking it against the audio file for the song from the actual album eliminated all the noise except a creepy voice saying the name of a new website. I wanna say it was... Red Horse Vector?

That might be true, but it is 100% true that if you convert the album version of The Great Destroyer at about 2:23 from stereo to mono, you can hear someone say Red Horse Vector.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RIP the Year Zero HBO show that never was :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzbuef_lLa0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Saying an album is "alright" and "not great but it's listenable" doesn't make me think you enjoyed it.

I'm just saying, would you still consider yourself a Nine Inch Nails fan if you only really enjoyed the first few years of their career and everything from the mid-90s to the present has felt middling at best to you (except for an instrumental album that much more closely resembles a film score than a Nine Inch Nails album)?

i guess i just don't understand how it matters, like am i not allowed to post or what

like it literally doesn't matter if i'm "officially" a NIN fan, i have liked many things the man has done, and so i continue to be interested in his career.

like i would definitely not say someone isn't a smashing pumpkins fan if all they like is the first 3 or 4 records

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Year Zero was the last thing NIN did that I /really/ liked as a whole project, at least before Add Violence came out. In terms of Post-Fragile, I now love With Teeth and Year Zero fully, everything else has good moments but I don't rate them too highly overall. Add Violence is really great though, first one in a while where I go back to it regularly because I want to listen to it, not because I'm hoping "this time I might like it more".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

i guess i just don't understand how it matters, like am i not allowed to post or what

like it literally doesn't matter if i'm "officially" a NIN fan, i have liked many things the man has done, and so i continue to be interested in his career.

like i would definitely not say someone isn't a smashing pumpkins fan if all they like is the first 3 or 4 records
Eh, comparing Smashing Pumpkins to NIN doesn't really seem equivalent though. The first 3 or 4 Pumpkins records are the only ones that feature the original lineup (well I guess it's more like 6 counting both Machinas). Trent was literally the only official member of NIN until the end of 2016 when Not The Actual Events came out and Atticus was added as a permanent member. Up until then, it's always pretty much been Trent's sole vision. He's had touring members and musicians who would play on his studio releases, but essentially Trent is the original Nine Inch Nails lineup.

But yeah, I don't know. There are several bands who used to release material that I loved but I fell off with them ages ago and wouldn't really consider myself a fan of theirs now because I'm either completely unfamiliar with the newer material they've been releasing or I've heard it and don't like it.

Maybe I'm just cranky. That's quite possible, actually haha

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I did not like their new song.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I will say With Teeth is a lot better in retrospect now that we've also gotten several dark, brooding, electronic-ish albums to scratch that itch. It's still lower-tier but I can appreciate it more knowing that it was a one-off. TR is one of the best producers around and it's interesting hearing him do a rock record -- sounds amazing for what it is.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ghosts was amazing, even beyond the marketing for the price and im kinda surprised we haven't gotten another instrumental album

Well he's done like a hundred movie soundtracks since then, which are pretty much the same thing. It's just classier to call it "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" although maybe now that Atticus is an official member they'll actually file the soundtracks under NIN.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I like all the albums but I think With Teeth needs more respect, it’s better than The Slip imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I honestly like ALL of his albums in different ways. I can't really say I think one is the worst of the bunch because they all scratch a slightly different itch.

That being said, Year Zero is amazing and I'm surprised there are NIN fans that disagree. I think The Slip is pretty great too. It just lags a little in the second half. Demon Seed is one of my favorites.