Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Podcast confirmed that Michio Pa's role is now in Drummer, and they've put aspects of Bull into both Drummer and Ashford. Ashford's a bigger part now because they got an actor they like so wanted it to be more than it is in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Apparently there's a big contingent of Bull fans on the internet who are sad he's not showing up. :confused: He never really stood out to me as anything more interesting than a pair of eyes on board the Behemoth, so I'm all in favor of divvying up his plot to more interesting characters.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Apparently there's a big contingent of Bull fans on the internet who are sad he's not showing up. :confused: He never really stood out to me as anything more interesting than a pair of eyes on board the Behemoth, so I'm all in favor of divvying up his plot to more interesting characters.

:agreed:

he was a nice badass to have around but so is Drummer.

e: mech suit Drummer :getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bull and Pa were both fine but Drummer vs Ashford in this episode was great so focusing on just that is fine by me. Always more Drummer. She's three and a half whole characters now, how many can we feed her?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

He was one of my favorite characters in the whole series. Put in an impossible situation, setup to fail, but fiercely loyal. He consistently makes the correct judgement on the correct side. He's one of the true good guys. You could see he wasn't going to make it but still when he didn't survive it hit me hard.
Having said that, I totally understand why he gets left out.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

drewhead posted:

He was one of my favorite characters in the whole series. Put in an impossible situation, setup to fail, but fiercely loyal. He consistently makes the correct judgement on the correct side. He's one of the true good guys. You could see he wasn't going to make it but still when he didn't survive it hit me hard.

i feel like Cara Gee is eminently capable of carrying that arc as Drummer

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Drummer always looking like she really wants to shoot everyone she's talking to who isn't Naomi or (sometimes) Fred is my favorite thing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Drummer always looking like she really wants to shoot everyone she's talking to who isn't Naomi or (sometimes) Fred is my favorite thing.

:same:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Will Drummer die like Sam or Bull

I hope Bull. I also hope for Robo-Drummer

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Naomi stays on with the OPA, Drummer ends up leaving and signing on with the crew of the Rocinante after this season.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

zeal posted:

i feel like Cara Gee is eminently capable of carrying that arc as Drummer

Agree, but that wasn't the dynamic I got from last night. Ashford seemed the cool calm and collected type, and Drummer was the hothead. While Bull is the one who spaces the pixie dust dealer, he does so with some reluctance and the point is more about appealing to the Belters in a manner in which they are use to/understand even though he's not one of them. The act gives Pa the ability to stick up for Belters even though she knows Bull did the belter thing. None of that nuisance was there in the show with the changed cast of characters. Drummer seems to be going down the book Ashford motivations, and Show Ashford seems to be more of the Bull/Pa to me.
But it's early in this arc and I may be just misreading things. I mean they can't ultimately take Drummer down book Ashford's arc and kill her off right? RIGHT?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Grand Fromage posted:

Podcast confirmed that Michio Pa's role is now in Drummer, and they've put aspects of Bull into both Drummer and Ashford. Ashford's a bigger part now because they got an actor they like so wanted it to be more than it is in the book.

Gonna be interested to see the show Drummer fanclub react to her being complicit in the biggest war crime in Human history if we get that far with the show and assuming she's going to take over Pa's role in the Free Navy plot too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They might find it interesting to start Drummer and Ashford in these spots and then reverse them later. Instead of the commander -> mutiny -> mutiny #2 thing just have a single mutiny with Ashford taking over to be crazyman.

ATP_Power posted:

Gonna be interested to see the show Drummer fanclub react to her being complicit in the biggest war crime in Human history if we get that far with the show and assuming she's going to take over Pa's role in the Free Navy plot too.

Well, in a theoretical world where we get all nine books adapted they'd have to change that to have Drummer in her book seven role, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Expanse is written by liberals and as such the entire Marco storyline is red-scare style anti-left slander, to not only sympathize with imperialism but advocate for it.

I'm hoping it will be more nuanced and correctly identified as a Martian plot.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Inaros did literally nothing wrong

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Crazycryodude posted:

Inaros did literally nothing wrong

well except betray the revolution

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

They might find it interesting to start Drummer and Ashford in these spots and then reverse them later. Instead of the commander -> mutiny -> mutiny #2 thing just have a single mutiny with Ashford taking over to be crazyman.

That hadn't occurred to me. But that actually makes a lot of sense.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, in a theoretical world where we get all nine books adapted they'd have to change that to have Drummer in her book seven role, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Not too much though right? Didn't Pa more or less just ride off into the sunset post time-skip after the establishment of the spacing guild?

I really need to reread the last few books to refresh my memory.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

Not too much though right? Didn't Pa more or less just ride off into the sunset post time-skip after the establishment of the spacing guild?

I really need to reread the last few books to refresh my memory.

Yeah Pa gets to be the first boss of the ITU for being less insane than Marco and being the first belter in sight of Holden when he gets offered the job and is all “gently caress no” (if she hadn’t been he would have given the job to naomi)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Drummer vs Ashford in this episode was great

Drummer is always a joy to watch but I'm kinda in love with Ashford already just for the insane accent.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that's about what I'm expecting.

drewhead posted:

That's fair! Anna's one of my favorite characters in the series for similar reasons, which I think isn't an extremely popular opinion itself.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's fair! Anna's one of my favorite characters in the series for similar reasons, which I think isn't an extremely popular opinion itself.

HA! Anna's one of my other favorite characters. She gets to ask all the good questions. Also it's refreshing to see a religious leader portrayed in the light of trying to further mankind's understanding of itself and it's surroundings. In particular I thought her scenes early in last nights episode were great.

But she's suppose to have red loving hair goddammit :colbert:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

PriorMarcus posted:

From the non-spoiler thread;

What a loving prick.

He's doing it again:

Rah! posted:

drat that was crazy

I haven't read the books, this is all speculation based off of the show, but the last time i did this the post got spaced :rip: so i'll spoiler tag this: i'm thinking the ring might be a gate. It could be that the protomolecule was created by aliens for finding habitable systems (among other things) and then collecting the materials necessary to build some kind of hyperspace/wormhole gate so that the aliens themselves could travel there. But maybe something went wrong with the probe carrying this protomolecule sample, and it crashed and never activated...until it was discovered 2 billion years later by humans who fed it with lasers and people and radiation, and then it grew and fed itself everything, and completed its job of building the gate that now links our solar system to a gate in a habitable system a long way away, with a long dead (or maybe not?) civilization in it and a bunch of weird crazy hosed up and cool poo poo to explore and colonize and get killed by.

As for the guy getting turned into meat goop by the ring, here's what i think might have happened: the gate activated. oops lol. Maybe any ship passing through the ring activates it, or maybe there's some some invisible technobabble energy field inside the ring (im thinking the ring needs enough energy or a magic quantum space signal from home to activate the gate), and passing through that field at high speed can activate it (we see a ship pass through the ring at slow speeds earlier in the episode with no effect, though maybe that was a protomolecule drone thing, not a human ship). But unfortunately for racer dude, the act of passing through the activated gate into the warp dimension or whatever, is a slow process, so it slowed him down really fast. Not so fast that his ship was destroyed, but fast enough to rip his body apart.

or maybe you need some protomolecule with you in order to pass through the gate safely...and doesn't the Rocinante have some rogue protomolecule stowed away in the bulkheads? :vince:

or maybe its just a giant space goatse

:awesome:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What's even the point of doing that? Looking smart to internet strangers? Nobody's fuckin buying that it's speculation, coyo, stop posting spoilers in the non-spoiler thread.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 25, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
As much as I think tviv often goes overboard about spoilers, that's a dick move.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How dare someone make educated guesses based on prior knowledge and common scifi tropes. Quick, someone post in the thread that they're mostly correct and should edit their post. That'll solve the problem.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So not spacing the guy is gonna bite Drummer in the rear end, right? Ashford is going to throw the prison barge order he gave in her name back in her face later: if Drummer was that fuming about not spacing the guy the average Belter probably wont view it favorably, either. I vaguely remember this plot from the book, so I am interested to see how they shake it up!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

Well nearly everyone she’s been talking to who isn’t Fred (and sometimes Naomi) really needs shot.

ATP_Power posted:

She could be one tenth of one percent responsible for the rockfall and she would still be worse than Hitler.

She’s dead to me if she even hears rumours of the plot and doesn’t warn the UN.

That seems likely. :smith:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope they find a way to have Drummer be in some crazy 5-way marriage like Pa was, that was fun to see.

Also I liked Bull a lot, he just kinda worked for me.

Edit: I'll miss engineer what's her face who gets capped for slowing stuff down to help the good guys, though if Naomi ends up put in that position that's going to make for a hell of an intense scene for us book readers even knowing she has to have plot immunity from death. She might still end up with a robo-arm or eye or something, you never quite know for sure.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 25, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Kinda feel 'Melba' was miscast. Wasn't she supposed to be identical to Julie, or am I misremembering?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

Kinda feel 'Melba' was miscast. Wasn't she supposed to be identical to Julie, or am I misremembering?

Not literally twins or anything, just similar enough that she gets mistaken for Julie by A) someone looking at an untextured 3D model of her face and B) someone who hasn't seen them since they were kids.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Toast Museum posted:

Not literally twins or anything, just similar enough that she gets mistaken for Julie by A) someone looking at an untextured 3D model of her face and B) someone who hasn't seen them since they were kids.

Ah, okay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Well nearly everyone she’s been talking to who isn’t Fred (and sometimes Naomi) really needs shot.

She could be one tenth of one percent responsible for the rockfall and she would still be worse than Hitler.

She’s dead to me if she even hears rumours of the plot and doesn’t warn the UN.

That seems likely. :smith:

Imagine being so brain broken you say "every belter should be shot" and then be angry about the rocks in the next sentence

Garnering sympathy for the evil inner empires is the worst liberal bullshit this series ever pulled

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Earth deserved the rocks, the belt deserved independence

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Marco did nothing wrong except being named Marco and generally being a tool.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Phi230 posted:

Earth deserved the rocks, the belt deserved independence

bloom posted:

:yeah:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

bloom posted:

The Belter revolution needed to happen but Marco was probably the worst pick to lead it for everyone but Duerte.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Speaking of Marco, IIRC Naomi didn't even flinch when Dawes namedropped him in season 2 (well, his OPA clan).

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Remember when his scientist economist guy says "we really have to start working on our new nitrogen based economy plan now." and he's like "shut up nerd I'm going along with all my best ships to chase after my ex and her new boyfriend."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phi230 posted:

Imagine being so brain broken you say "every belter should be shot" and then be angry about the rocks in the next sentence

This is like if I said “nearly everyone Hitler’s dog meets needs bitten” and you accuse me of wanting to kill every ethnic German.

The fact that they are meeting people of only one race is a because the people they are meeting are the leaders and facilitators of a fascist ethnostate.

• Locked thread