Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bring back redpower tubes

i want to punish my computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

with its inclusion in exoria i was maybe hoping that embers was being updated again, but nope. the pipes and whatever in that mod are great and if nothing else i'm glad the mod is at least stable right now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

didn't the embers guy have a mental breakdown when thaumcraft came to 1.12 or something

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

didn't the embers guy have a mental breakdown when thaumcraft came to 1.12 or something
From a bit of internet detecting (i.e. this is complete loving hearsay), it seems he got upset when someone treated one of his open source projects like an open source project and forked it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the dev got annoyed at everyone telling them to mix it with thaumcraft since a new version was coming out and so they just dropped it. i don't know about anything beyond that.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

How do i get glass for the Tinker Smelter?
Please tell me its not bees already

e; exoria

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

heard u like girls posted:

How do i get glass for the Tinker Smelter?
Please tell me its not bees already

e; exoria

Melt sand in the foundry stuff, using a block mold. This gives you clear glass directly. You can craft clear glass by itself to get vanilla minecraft glass.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Melt sand in the foundry stuff, using a block mold. This gives you clear glass directly. You can craft clear glass by itself to get vanilla minecraft glass.

Thank you

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i could be wrong but i don't even think bees come into the picture until you're actually getting into the magic stuff, so before then most everything for the tech quests early on should be something you can get in other ways.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eh, might have got him mixed up with someone else there. Consider me full of poo poo on that (or on everything!) until further notice.

I do know that Embers was open source, and now it's "all rights reserved" and the link to the repository 404s. Whatever went on that's kind of a dick move if you ask me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, idk what the deal is with Exoria bees. The quest book swears up and down that making the exoria bee is super important, but then the products it makes aren't used for anything. I've been keeping a pure line of Exoria bees going when I remember to replace the princesses and frames, though, just in case.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, idk what the deal is with Exoria bees. The quest book swears up and down that making the exoria bee is super important, but then the products it makes aren't used for anything. I've been keeping a pure line of Exoria bees going when I remember to replace the princesses and frames, though, just in case.

Does one of the bees grant special benefits outside of products? I was watching Soaryn stream the FTB Continuum pack, and one of the devs was showing off a bee that builds a 9x9 while it's in its house, and apparently has a dev bee named for himself that increases the speed of stuff around it passively.

So apparently some of the new bee packs have passives for having the bee working

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

Does one of the bees grant special benefits outside of products? I was watching Soaryn stream the FTB Continuum pack, and one of the devs was showing off a bee that builds a 9x9 while it's in its house, and apparently has a dev bee named for himself that increases the speed of stuff around it passively.

So apparently some of the new bee packs have passives for having the bee working

That's CareerBees, which isn't in Exoria.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Elucent (the Embers dev) definitely had a meltdown that was at least Thaumcraft-adjacent. IIRC he decided that he wouldn't be maintaining any of his mods anymore because people dared to say that with TC6, magic mods were finally returning, which he felt didn't give Roots or Embers enough credit. I think he's "returned" to modding but is sticking to his guns on never updating any of the ones people liked ever again.

As for whether or not he'll ever let someone continue Roots/Embers/etc., don't hold your breath:

That second requirement sure is something :jerkbag:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 23, 2018

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Fortis posted:

The first one is something else too given what his code looked like before he removed it. Roots was kind of a shitshow.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Roots is a beautiful, unique, interesting mod with basically no payoff and no reason to get into it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno, roots 2 has some neat stuff going on. the initial version of the mod was pretty barebones but there's definitely some cool utility stuff going on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Roots is a beautiful, unique, interesting mod with basically no payoff and no reason to get into it.

Funny, so is Embers. I only know Embers because I play challenge modpacks almost exclusively, and it has lots of fiddly, unique crafting mechanics that modpack devs love to use for gating.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fortis posted:

Elucent (the Embers dev) definitely had a meltdown that was at least Thaumcraft-adjacent. IIRC he decided that he wouldn't be maintaining any of his mods anymore because people dared to say that with TC6, magic mods were finally returning, which he felt didn't give Roots or Embers enough credit. I think he's "returned" to modding but is sticking to his guns on never updating any of the ones people liked ever again.

As for whether or not he'll ever let someone continue Roots/Embers/etc., don't hold your breath:

:chloe:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Did buildcraft pipes ever get smarter at splitting a stream of items? I remember waaaay back in the day trying to set up for the equivalent exchange ice loop that sprouted up after the glowstone loop was fixed and having problems. Unlike what I'd expect (switch which direction to send the item at an intersection to get an even spread) it just seemed to pick a direction to send them randomly.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah.

Partial Buildcraft pipe summary, for any of you who were curious (none of you:)

Wooden pipe: extracts from an inventory. Does not connect to other wooden pipes. Needs to be powered by a redstone engine.
Cobblestone pipe: basic transport pipe. Does not route intelligently, so do not use in junctions.
Smoothstone pipe: same thing as a cobblestone pipe, but does not connect to cobblestone pipes. You can use pipe plugs to separate two adjacent pipes too so these are not that useful any more.
Iron pipe: Is a chalk pipe in Exoria. Used in junctions to funnel items towards a single path. Use a buildcraft wrench on the connection between the iron pipe and another pipe to turn that connection clear, which indicates that the items go in that direction.
Gold pipe: Cobblestone pipe, but it accelerates items that pass through it.
Diamond pipe: Has a GUI that lets you pick specific items to go in specific directions.
Clay pipe: Inserter pipe. Will always try to insert into inventories it is connected to before passing items to other pipes. This is what I use on the drawers.
Sandstone pipe: Will not connect to inventories at all. Useful for running pipes in tight areas.
Emerald pipe: Wooden pipe, but with a GUI to let you pull specific items only. Extracts faster. Needs a redstone engine.
Structure pipe: Does not pass items. Used to connect pipe wire over two different lengths of pipe without affecting item transport.

The gravity pipes that I mentioned aren't core buildcraft. They extract from the bottom of an inventory with no redstone engine needed.

Diamond Pipes are Silver Pipes in Exoria. Did end up wrangling a decent looking auto-strainer system going after figuring out that trying to connect all the drawers together in a mess of clay pipes along with a trash can was a bad idea, using pipe plugs to make sure items try to insert themselves into each drawer at least once before going to the trash can fixed that though!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Tyty posted:

Did buildcraft pipes ever get smarter at splitting a stream of items? I remember waaaay back in the day trying to set up for the equivalent exchange ice loop that sprouted up after the glowstone loop was fixed and having problems. Unlike what I'd expect (switch which direction to send the item at an intersection to get an even spread) it just seemed to pick a direction to send them randomly.

Dumb pipes like cobblestone, stone, etc haven't gotten smarter. They're not intended to be used in a junction or in any way other than one in, one out.

Looking at Exoria, it looks like there is a "wooden silver[diamond] transport pipe" that claims to do "round-robin extraction." I'm not sure what that means. There's also an "emzuli" pipe, which does "gate-controlled extraction." I haven't used either of these, but I suspect one or both of these might properly affect a round-robin setup. There's also pipes that "paint" items and accept only painted items, which I also haven't used but feels like the old redpower painted tubes thing.

Also, in Exoria there's the "Additional Pipes" mod. That's where the gravity pipe comes from. It has a "distribution transport pipe" which "outputs a configurable ratio of items to each side." That sounds like a similar thing.

Round robin and load balancing is a pretty tricky problem in minecraft. E.g.: Thermal Expansion has a round-robin mode for servos, but it blocks if one of the inventories it is outputting to fills up, rather than just ignoring the full inventory.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

unrelated, but fairies keep flying into my uninsulated copper wires and getting loving destroyed and it is hilarious

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Does getting shocked by IE wires drain power? If not you could build a fairly inexpensive perimeter wall or mob grinder by just stringing a couple HV wires around.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nevets posted:

Does getting shocked by IE wires drain power? If not you could build a fairly inexpensive perimeter wall or mob grinder by just stringing a couple HV wires around.

I'm not sure. Getting zapped by an uninsulated wire does punt the entity a ridiculous distance, at least with the case of HV, though, so it might be unsuitable for a mob grinder. In Sevtech I was getting loving juggled by the bird's nest of HV wire above my base pretty regularly, and probably would have died stupidly if it wasn't for Armara god-mode.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Fortis posted:

I think the funniest thing about the whole debacle was the post that Elucent flew into a frothing rage over specifically mentioned Roots and Embers in the 'With [insert a bunch of mods here] and now TC6...' post. Just not prominently enough I guess.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Fortis posted:

LOL i hate embers even more now. I might just creative all of it in this pack..

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Is there a mod for for 1.12.2 that will make dirt and cobblestone fall like sand/gravel?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

runchild posted:

Is there a mod for for 1.12.2 that will make dirt and cobblestone fall like sand/gravel?

Don't know about cobble, but here's one for dirt.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Chisel paper walls annoy me. They are incredibly cheap to build so you'd think it's a great idea to use them for mass constructions in Exoria. Yet, they have drawbacks-- water will break them and you can't put torches on the sides of a paper wall. This makes them really bad for walls and really bad for any building that uses water.

edit: it looks like I can make electrum via the grindstone. I'm thinking I should upgrade my sky resources 2 stuff to electrum, any reason not to?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 25, 2018

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Ambaire posted:

Don't know about cobble, but here's one for dirt.

Ah, perfect, thanks. I didn’t read far enough into the description for this one when I looked at it earlier today. Disincentivizing cobble isn’t as important if I go with PrimalCore’s “cobblestone must be crafted” option, anyways.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Chisel paper walls annoy me. They are incredibly cheap to build so you'd think it's a great idea to use them for mass constructions in Exoria. Yet, they have drawbacks-- water will break them and you can't put torches on the sides of a paper wall. This makes them really bad for walls and really bad for any building that uses water.

edit: it looks like I can make electrum via the grindstone. I'm thinking I should upgrade my sky resources 2 stuff to electrum, any reason not to?

Electrum uses RF so if you've got RF then there's no reason at all not to.

Oh right nevermind.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 25, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Don't bother to upgrade your combustion chamber beyond iron, and only then so you can install a combustion collector and quick dropper if you want. Combustion is only used for making the crystal shards for the condenser in Exoria.

The condenser, OTOH, you should upgrade ASAP. I went iron -> steel -> electrum -> signalum.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't bother to upgrade your combustion chamber beyond iron, and only then so you can install a combustion collector and quick dropper if you want. Combustion is only used for making the crystal shards for the condenser in Exoria.

The condenser, OTOH, you should upgrade ASAP. I went iron -> steel -> electrum -> signalum.

I just went from 0 to stone to iron quickly last night before bed.

In MSB 2 to whatever... can you use glass on the combustion set up like it says to in exoira? Because it is SOOOOOOO nice to see stuff inside and if you can wow, i didnt know.

My problem now is space. I dug into a mountain and i cant be bothered re-settling my machines.

Oh, and how do i get to the other dimensions? so teh quest book lead me or is it something i'm meant to know. because i have my rock bees but they need to be somewhere less hot :/

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

resource automation quest tree, do the sieve questchain

exoria question: is it supposed to take a million billion fuckin' years to get laquer planks out of a cauldron of urushi

like what the hell, it goes one at a time and takes minutes per plank. this is insane

e: lmao you need 16 planks for a workbench, due to needing to make treated fences

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 25, 2018

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Meskhenet posted:

In MSB 2 to whatever... can you use glass on the combustion set up like it says to in exoira? Because it is SOOOOOOO nice to see stuff inside and if you can wow, i didnt know.

Yes. IIRC you can use anything but wood (and even wood for the wood combustion).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

FTB Continuum is by far the most robust mod I've played that uses quest-guided progression, but EFab can gently caress right off. Who thought making the Smeltery Controller take at least 7.5 minutes to craft was a good idea?

poo poo like that is why I leave cheats on and switch to Creative to skip the tedium.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

exoria question: is it supposed to take a million billion fuckin' years to get laquer planks out of a cauldron of urushi

like what the hell, it goes one at a time and takes minutes per plank. this is insane

e: lmao you need 16 planks for a workbench, due to needing to make treated fences

I THINK making the pot lid and slapping it on makes it go faster, but yeah it suffers from a pretty awful case of large RNG swing. I had it process items almost immediately, and I've had it take a long time. The best thing to do is to load it up with four buckets of water and 16 urushi paste or whatever at once, then walk away and do something else (chunkload it maybe?)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

surrounding the grill with blocks seems to have upped the heat level, i think

at least that's what my thermometer-ladle is telling me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bloody Pom posted:

FTB Continuum is by far the most robust mod I've played that uses quest-guided progression, but EFab can gently caress right off. Who thought making the Smeltery Controller take at least 7.5 minutes to craft was a good idea?

poo poo like that is why I leave cheats on and switch to Creative to skip the tedium.

I saw the 30 minutes with 1 gear box and raised an eyebrow - but I get the point, it's to break up crafting and intersperse other tasks, kind of an enforced 'don't burn yourself out on all this crafting'. Gives you a chance to build something pretty, or chunkload your base and go exploring.