Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

build a hackintosh. it's the only way to get a true "mac pro"

I’m not building a hackintosh at work.
and lol at janitorial my computer at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Is the state of hackintoshing better or worse than, say, the state of desktop Linux in 2012/15/18?

its extremely easy now, kinda depends on your hardware though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pram posted:

its extremely easy now, kinda depends on your hardware though

But it’s p. deece if you buy from the HCL?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

But its p. deece if you buy from the HCL?

all the poo poo that tonymac recommends will work fine

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just buy a dell and install one a them macos x skins

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

But it’s p. deece if you buy from the HCL?

yes. especially with 10.13, nvme m2 and most radeon cards work OOB. just dont try to build a ryzen box or something stupid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well said.

buy a mac folks

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Someone should bring a hackintosh with them to cupertino and set up a demo stand after sneaking it in to wwdc

Use the lian-li silver pc-v1000l case to confuse Jony

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

r u ready to WALK posted:

Someone should bring a hackintosh with them to cupertino and set up a demo stand after sneaking it in to wwdc

I legit liked the old G5 case (especially since they had real good cable management), are any these good or are they as bad as my posting?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

grating cheese without a proper handle?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
hackintoshes are easy now. i did find i couldnt make it work on a 22 core xeon system but that was kinda what i expected.

pram posted:

yes. especially with 10.13, nvme m2 and most radeon cards work OOB. just dont try to build a ryzen box or something stupid

yeah this.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Anyone tried it in the butt yet?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lol those casters

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I had to get a new laptop at work bc the battery in my 4-yr old mbp was expanding too much and my IT guy thought I was gonna be killed thx timb

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I had to get a new laptop at work bc the battery in my 4-yr old mbp was expanding too much and my IT guy thought I was gonna be killed thx timb

I’m busy packing for a move and while clearing out boxes I found my 08 mbp still stashed in its original packaging

Too scared to take it out and see if it has a bloated battery of death

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

mbp - Mac burnt penis?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

the engineers in Cupertino are fully aware. they develop on macs, they would love a better pro to build on. they’re not the ones making the dumb decisions.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

syscall girl posted:

lol those casters

they're legit nice if you have enough slack to slide the thing out to hit it with an air can. I have my tower sandwiched between the edge of the desk and the thing my printer sits on, pain to get out otherwise

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

syscall girl posted:

lol those casters

Geek the mage first.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Management posted:

the engineers in Cupertino are fully aware. they develop on macs, they would love a better pro to build on. they’re not the ones making the dumb decisions.

Unionize that poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

except for the dumb decision to develop on macs.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

except for the dumb decision to develop on macs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Management posted:

I’d just like to chime in an say a big gently caress you to jony and phil. I’ve been setting up a new work environment and
1) my MacBook “Pro” is overheating just sitting on a desk powering two monitors
2) there is still no Mac Pro that is anywhere close to the performance I can get from a high end Linux workstation. if they made one that had half the perf and some drive and ram slots I would probably get it. and no, the iMac pro is not it.

if you prop up the back of the new pro on something the cooling is much less bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sounds like a design flaw to me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pointsofdata posted:

if you prop up the back of the new pro on something the cooling is much less bad

I use it with the lid closed and external monitors. I find that laying it upside down helps. ideal would be mounted vertically but I need all the ports.

also I bought a cooling stand for it which works. so embarrassing. gently caress you jony.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

I find that laying it upside down helps.

lmao

nice laptop you got there. be a shame if you tried to use it for anything

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

closing a macbook makes it more or less airtight because the hinge blocks the ventilation in the back, I'm surprised you're even allowed to turn it on like that

You're supposed to make tasteful desk art with it, like so:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the xps15 intakes air thru a gap between the keyboard and display and as a result when the display is closed, the gap is still open from the bottom.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

closing a macbook makes it more or less airtight because the hinge blocks the ventilation in the back, I'm surprised you're even allowed to turn it on like that

'yo desk look like a couch

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
"oh hey i have this laptop with a fancy retina screen, better use it on my desk closed so i can't see it"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Throw your laptop in one of these and hook up a nice 4k display to it ya dummies

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...ic+laptop+stand

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

could you imagine what it'd be like if apple made a laptop that didn't require an ever growing list of 3rd party accessories to function?

me neither

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we've come a long way baby

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Throw your laptop in one of these and hook up a nice 4k display to it ya dummies

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...ic+laptop+stand

but that will allow dust to settle and collect in the keyboard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"oh hey i have this laptop with a fancy retina screen, better use it on my desk closed so i can't see it"

yeah dang it's too bad no one has made a high dpi desktop monitor

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

but that will allow dust to settle and collect in the keyboard.

I was going to say "just wipe it off ya dummy" but then I remembered that a bit of dust actually bricks this computer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I have it hooked up to a 5k display (27”) and another, inferior non Retina display (24”). the built in 15” display is useless to me at my desk.

nah, the new ones have the air intake and vent on the bottom edges, they’re unaffected by the hinge. putting the device upside down improves the airflow and also exposes the hottest part of the body to more air.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

we've come a long way baby

the :discourse: is the upside-down apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

the :discourse: is the upside-down apple

it's not upside down to the only important person in the room, the one with the five thousand dollar laptop