Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

The real issue I have with Leno is I doubt he can fit in the AZ-1

Not with that chin of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

If they turn out to be true? There's like hundreds of testimonials in the Google search results AND the very public theft of the Tonight Show from Conan. Jay Leno is an rear end in a top hat. I can't wait for that NDA to expire so Conan can tell everything that he did.
*Shrug*

Like I said, I'd like to have a chat with him about car stuff. Maybe he'd be a dick, maybe not. I've met dicks before.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Don't care. None of this is about importing Japanese cars beyond he had one on the show.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Don't care. None of this is about importing Japanese cars beyond he had one on the show.

same sorry i even added to the discussion (really) no place for this here

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rhyno posted:

And even thought my friend doesn't like to gossip (so i will), Leno tried repeatedly to buy his bike and just refuses to take no for an answer and has been a bothersome rear end about it.
The bike in question

As a car person, I have trouble seeing that front tire tread as facing the right way.

Darchangel posted:

Have other models' communities noted any sort of market price change when cars appeared on his show?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

That’s looks like a very nice bike, but can someone please explain to this bumbling idiot why that is a very nice bike?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bolind posted:

That’s looks like a very nice bike, but can someone please explain to this bumbling idiot why that is a very nice bike?

Suzuki GT750. Water cooled 750cc 2 stroke triple. Also called the water buffalo, as it's water cooled and fat.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bolind posted:

i would also like to be educated what makes this Suzuki that desirable?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A lot of people seem to have this rose colored glasses thing going about vintage two stroke motorcycles with lovely brakes and noodle like frames.
Yeah, they are fun to poke around on or keep in the garage for a once-in-a-while cruise but...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

A lot of people seem to have this rose colored glasses thing going about vintage two stroke motorcycles with lovely brakes and noodle like frames.
Yeah, they are fun to poke around on or keep in the garage for a once-in-a-while cruise but...

Because they're a loving blast.

And also they try to kill you. But they make the best sounds doing it.

Also really the only things I want to import are 125 and 250cc bikes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I am more of a small V4 person when it comes to import bikes :v: Seems there is an alright market for the 250 2t imports, if someone knew of an auction site that covered them. Also no pesky RHD to deal with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

i would also like to be educated what makes this Suzuki that desirable?

WHat I know about it (as I am not a bike guy) is it's a very unique build (the tail thing is made from another gas tank which is a rare part or something) and the builder;s bikes are very sought after. I reached out to the owner for more details but he hasn't hit me back yet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks I mean it looks cool it’s a big 750 but why would leno want it I just like learning. Edit: because I used to have a 1200 sportster and no one wanted that lol

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 26, 2018

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Well the Cappo is gonna have to wait. Picking this up on Tuesday when the banks open.

89 CRX Si with 230k miles. No smoke or leaks. Runs perfect, shifts perfect. Just needs the R12 recharged or converted to r134a, face plate for climate control is cracked like every other CRX. Gets 32+ mpg. Body is completely staight with minimal rust. Original paint. Adult owned by a retired guy. Getting it for $2700.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Loanarn posted:

Well the Cappo is gonna have to wait. Picking this up on Tuesday when the banks open.

89 CRX Si with 230k miles. No smoke or leaks. Runs perfect, shifts perfect. Just needs the R12 recharged or converted to r134a, face plate for climate control is cracked like every other CRX. Gets 32+ mpg. Body is completely staight with minimal rust. Original paint. Adult owned by a retired guy. Getting it for $2700.

This is amazing and such a great color.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Loanarn posted:

I love it. How bad is the faceplate? Maybe you can epoxy it together.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love it. How bad is the faceplate? Maybe you can epoxy it together.

Epoxy and a cover to hide the crack should do the trick. The audio system is garbage and will eventually need to be upgraded. Gonna have the mechanic fix the AC and then turn it into my daily driver. I'll probably end up selling the 350z if everything goes well with this CRX and then use it to fund my audio and security upgrades on the CRX and GTR.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks good.

For the crack, once you've glued it back together and smoothed the repair, black plastidip is great for giving the right look to interior plastics.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fack that is a nice looking CRX.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Stock yellow Si? Someone's a loving time traveller, theiving cars from 1996.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

DJ Commie posted:

Stock yellow Si? Someone's a loving time traveller, theiving cars from 1996.

230k miles in 7 years is doable but unlikely. The car is bone stock. Absolutely nothing aftermarket at all. My first car the 91 Crx Si was beat to hell, rattlecan black, primer, ebay cold air, ebay coilovers and waaaay to low. Needed to creep over bumps. The thing had been thrashed. Interior dash lights didn't even work. That's what you get when you pay $1000 for a CRX in 2005.

This one has a few dents on the rear where someone tried to put on a roof rack and failed. It has some paint peeling around the back and sides but a totally straight body, factory paint, minimal rust and a perfectly running engine, transmission with no grinding and a clutch that doesn't slip for $2700? Hell yes. Ill post pics of the engine bay later. Its immaculate. Its had its waterpump and timing belt done recently too. Gonna get it a new set of tires since the ones on it are 7 years old and have all the fluids replaced since the braking fluid looks like bourbon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They are starting to pop up around Arizona now
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1991-mitsubishi-delica-4wd/6596186095.html

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Loanarn posted:

Hell yeah that owns, grats.

diesel smooths

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

For comparison the `97 ~90k automatic ACTIVE LIFE (still don't know what this means...) that is on a boat on the way over cost me a bit more than ~US$9000. Some good deals to be had bringing these over. This is why there's a dedicated Delica shop in Vancouver BC.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo 15 grand for those buckets of poo poo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo 15 grand for those buckets of poo poo

Now you see my/our business plan.

Strike hard and fast when the opportunity arises, $8265.90 american monies for this 3.5 grade, 42000 mile AZ-1. :getin: That's two although one of them is strictly for re-sale since how many AZ-1s does a boy need?

EDIT
This is the AZ-1 someone in AI was looking at though because someone asked if the front hood was popped or broken when they posted it, it's not broken and was just popped up in the pictures, it's been very well maintained with history and invoices going back.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 29, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

since how many AZ-1s does a boy need?

One for each foot, presumably?

Risky
May 18, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Strike hard and fast when the opportunity arises, $8265.90 american monies for this 3.5 grade, 42000 mile AZ-1. :getin: That's two although one of them is strictly for re-sale since how many AZ-1s does a boy need?

EDIT
This is the AZ-1 someone in AI was looking at though because someone asked if the front hood was popped or broken when they posted it, it's not broken and was just popped up in the pictures, it's been very well maintained with history and invoices going back.

Does that include shipping, customs fees, etc...?

edit: guess not, looking at the auction sold sheet for 901,000 Y

Congrats on a clean car

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm the RC car antenna.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Femtosecond posted:

For comparison the `97 ~90k automatic ACTIVE LIFE (still don't know what this means...) that is on a boat on the way over cost me a bit more than ~US$9000. Some good deals to be had bringing these over. This is why there's a dedicated Delica shop in Vancouver BC.

What is parts interchangability like with similar vintage Montero's in the US? I've always liked Delicas, and reasonably available spares might help move the needle more in that direction.

I'd be looking at anything from the 80s ones (although probably not if it didn't have PS) up to the more recent L400 type body style.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I absolutely cannot believe people in the US are spending 15 grand on Delicas. They're a fifth of that in the UK.

e; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/delica-L300-new-mot/263715048929?hash=item3d66a44de1:g:D6YAAOSwF8lbCTd5

Even a really desirable, top condition one only goes for 5 grand or so. Amazing the difference between countries.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 29, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Whatever you can't have is always exotic.

My old man had (late 90s) a couple of colleagues who made some decent coin, drove a lot for their jobs, and were able to write off their car on their taxes, so they went all out.

One got a Pontiac Trans Sport.

The other got a Chevrolet Blazer.

Both with automatic transmissions!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thats going all out? Lol

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Loanarn posted:

Condolences...

http://www.oocities.org/teamwhy49/

Also a former EF driver (that link shows how long I was in the game that I remember that....) , so there's a lot of overlap, and I might be sheltered, but I think the prior statement about their theft popularity is a bit overstated... Just keep it clean and don't put anything valuable inside.

Main things to know about :
Main relay. (will strand you)
Distributor shaft play taking out the CPS. (wont strand you, just something to know about)

You already know about the control panel cracks.. so you should be ok. Those wheels are directional and awesome. :3:

Keep it clean and drive the hell out of it.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Condolences...

http://www.oocities.org/teamwhy49/

Also a former EF driver (that link shows how long I was in the game that I remember that....) , so there's a lot of overlap, and I might be sheltered, but I think the prior statement about their theft popularity is a bit overstated... Just keep it clean and don't put anything valuable inside.

Main things to know about :
Main relay. (will strand you)
Distributor shaft play taking out the CPS. (wont strand you, just something to know about)

You already know about the control panel cracks.. so you should be ok. Those wheels are directional and awesome. :3:

Keep it clean and drive the hell out of it.

My first car I drove for 2 years was a "black" 91 CRX Si. It was in MUCH worse shape than this car. I payed $1000 for it back in 2005. I put another $1000 into repairs after it blew a head gasket because the guy put fixaleak in the radiator instead of replacing it and never told me. A year after that the engine died. A neighbor backed into it a few days after I parked it outside my parents place while I decided what to do with it. Insurance totaled it and gave me $2000 so I got to drive the CRX for free and rolled that $2000 and my savings into a down payment on my 350z that I still have today.

That 91 was rattle can black, lumps of unsanded down bondo and looked like fried hell. The interior lights didn't work because of a replay under the drivers seat that regulated the dimmer switch that died. It was a $150 part from the factory so for a year I used one of those battery operated lights with a sticky pad on the bottom you stick in your closet and push to turn on to see my instrument cluster until a guy who had a parts car on the CRX forums sold me one for $10.

Gonna pick up the car today and drop it off at my mechanic to put a new alternator in and convert the car from R12 to r134a or recharge the R12 depending on what is cheaper.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Loanarn posted:

My first car I drove for 2 years was a "black" 91 CRX Si. It was in MUCH worse shape than this car. I payed $1000 for it back in 2005. I put another $1000 into repairs after it blew a head gasket because the guy put fixaleak in the radiator instead of replacing it and never told me. A year after that the engine died. A neighbor backed into it a few days after I parked it outside my parents place while I decided what to do with it. Insurance totaled it and gave me $2000 so I got to drive the CRX for free and rolled that $2000 and my savings into a down payment on my 350z that I still have today.

That 91 was rattle can black, lumps of unsanded down bondo and looked like fried hell. The interior lights didn't work because of a replay under the drivers seat that regulated the dimmer switch that died. It was a $150 part from the factory so for a year I used one of those battery operated lights with a sticky pad on the bottom you stick in your closet and push to turn on to see my instrument cluster until a guy who had a parts car on the CRX forums sold me one for $10.

Gonna pick up the car today and drop it off at my mechanic to put a new alternator in and convert the car from R12 to r134a or recharge the R12 depending on what is cheaper.

I misread your prior post asking about having/had one I guess? Still, awesome find. :) May you be safe from why49.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What is parts interchangability like with similar vintage Montero's in the US? I've always liked Delicas, and reasonably available spares might help move the needle more in that direction.

I'd be looking at anything from the 80s ones (although probably not if it didn't have PS) up to the more recent L400 type body style.

No idea. I definitely have not done my due diligence with regard to parts on Delicas. The reason I have been so lax is that these cars are so drat common in Vancouver that I've just recklessly assumed that it's not a factor.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Back to Imports. Why do people like Diesel Delicas so much? There are alot of strange cars that we never got that aren't worth much.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I wonder if you can find deals on Autozams by searching for Suzuki Cara? Seems like everyone associates the car with Mazda. There was a cool looking yellow Suzuki Cara I spotted on the auction site little while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Loanarn posted:

Back to Imports. Why do people like Diesel Delicas so much? There are alot of strange cars that we never got that aren't worth much.

It is an offroad capable vehicle that fits more than 5 persons, and this is a niche that is not well filled at all by NA vehicles.

This is literally the reason I've bought one, because I need a vehicle to keep in an area with lots of dirt and sand roads where where a 4x4 is required, and I will need to transport more than 5 persons.

In the Pacific Northwest where there are lots of dirt roads and outdoor enthusiasts they're particularly popular.