Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/xorrior/status/1000053217298997257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
admittedly i havent followed very closely but kinda perplexed as to what CPU manufacturers are expected to do to be "secure", are they supposed to abolish all out of order execution so that the processor can never do anything clever???

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lemme tell ya there's nothing i like more than simpletons thinking up security mandates in committee and then piling them on me until I literally have no discretion to develop any product features

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
IT big boss: "if i have to shut down a system to meet security requirements, then i will shut it down" well fine, enjoy having the most secure Nothing in the world

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

admittedly i havent followed very closely but kinda perplexed as to what companies are expected to do to be "gdor compliant", are they supposed to abolish all access to pii so that the employees can never do anything clever???

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
eu law does not actually apply to people outside the eu just because they’re an eu citizen, that is not how international law works. a tourist is subject to the laws of the place they’re visiting

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i work specifically in the software domain of identifying and tracking people and first there was this equifax breach which sent a shitload of security mandates my way and now there's the facebook and GDPR blowup and in the same time frame our headcount has been slashhed, idk how i can take another month of this

but none of these stupid mandates has changed my conviction that the software i worked on provided value to customers and end users

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 25, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rjmccall posted:

eu law does not actually apply to people outside the eu just because they’re an eu citizen, that is not how international law works. a tourist is subject to the laws of the place they’re visiting
That's not what people are saying. If you're doing business with EU citizens (residing in the EU at the time of transaction) then you're effectively doing business in the EU. In that sense, your compliance with GDPR is not contingent on your business being in the EU.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

the same principle is why Americans aren't taxed for income earned in other countries

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
as an american citizen my 2nd amendment constitutional rights allow me to open carry my ar-15 worldwide :getin:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

That's not what people are saying. If you're doing business with EU citizens (residing in the EU at the time of transaction) then you're effectively doing business in the EU. In that sense, your compliance with GDPR is not contingent on your business being in the EU.

Shifty Pony posted:

that's the best drat part of gpdr. my understanding is that even those "block the entire EU IP space" things won't make you compliant because an EU citizen could access your service while vacationing.

evil_bunnY posted:

If you service EU citizens, you gotta be compliant. If you're not an EU entity you can still be found non-compliant and fined, tho enforcement might be problematic.

it's not just a matter of enforcement, eu rules do not apply outside the eu as a matter of law

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
like if you're a non-eu entity servicing eu citizens in the eu that's different, as is an eu entity servicing whomever outside the eu. but a non-eu entity is not subject to eu law outside the eu just because their client is an eu citizen

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Gazpacho posted:

i work specifically in the software domain of identifying and tracking people and first there was this equifax breach which sent a shitload of security mandates my way and now there's the facebook and GDPR blowup and in the same time frame our headcount has been slashhed, idk how i can take another month of this

but none of these stupid mandates has changed my conviction that the software i worked on provided value to customers and end users

that software is bad and you are bad for choosing to work on it and no amount of suffering for you is too much as long as you continue to work on it

sure i built a pervasive surveillance state that facilitated horrible poo poo but I think the people i tracked appreciates the personalized ad experiences we were able to deliver

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

that software is bad and you are bad for choosing to work on it and no amount of suffering for you is too much as long as you continue to work on it

sure i built a pervasive surveillance state that facilitated horrible poo poo but I think the people i tracked appreciates the personalized ad experiences we were able to deliver
say all that after someone who isn't you successfully gains access to your online banking, you jackass

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

say all that after someone who isn't you successfully gains access to your online banking, you jackass

The legislation seems to have pretty big get out clauses for legal and financially obligated data collection, doesn't that apply here?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's ok, i use a password manager and two...
wait, is that your bank that allows only 6 character pin with only alphanumeric characters that constantly gets posted in here? :v:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Chalks posted:

The legislation seems to have pretty big get out clauses for legal and financially obligated data collection, doesn't that apply here?
no

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So you're providing fraud protection but a bank cannot argue that fraud prevention is an essential part of their service or that they're legally/financially obligated to perform it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

So you're providing fraud protection but a bank cannot argue that fraud prevention is an essential part of their service or that they're legally/financially obligated to perform it?

if the fraud prevention is mandated by law then you must do it and you can keep the data for that, but if you have some kind of internal fraud or quality system that isn't mandated by law the data related to that is subject to gdpr protections

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Chalks posted:

what i work on has nothing to do with "know your customer" mandates. it is identity verification, not identity gathering as such

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/andrewrstine/status/1000079766123245568

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rjmccall posted:

like if you're a non-eu entity servicing eu citizens in the eu that's different, as is an eu entity servicing whomever outside the eu. but a non-eu entity is not subject to eu law outside the eu just because their client is an eu citizen
Correct. Pony's got his stuff mixed up I think.

Gazpacho posted:

people in civilized countries DGAF because they're not liable, and banks have actual standards to begin with.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 25, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

evil_bunnY posted:

people in civilized countries DGAF because they're not liable, and banks have actual standards to begin with.
i didn't say what countries we provide service in

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

i didn't say what countries we provide service in

Which bit of the legislation is it that's causing headaches for you? It seems like fraud prevention would only really be concerned with the stuff about storing data securely.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Chalks posted:

Which bit of the legislation is it that's causing headaches for you? It seems like fraud prevention would only really be concerned with the stuff about storing data securely.
fraud prevention is a problem of verifying an actor's trustworthiness, not of providing a super-slick system for the actor to lie to

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

fraud prevention is a problem of verifying an actor's trustworthiness, not of providing a super-slick system for the actor to lie to

I clearly don't understand enough about the methods being used here, and maybe you can't discuss them, but holding user data for your purposes seems to be fine by my understanding of it, and gathering information is presumably a case of requiring people to consent to fraud protection measures which seems straight forward to obtain. I guess you're monitoring people who aren't the legitimate user but are impersonating the legitimate user - but surely you're not responsible for collecting data about people who are pretending to be people who have given consent?

I'm obviously missing some huge piece of the puzzle here but I'm legitimately interested in situations where non advertising companies are being hosed over by this legislation so if you're able to explain I'd be interested to hear it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there are no specific mandates regarding gdpr or data management yet but the previous round of mandates showed that the management is inclined to overreact blindly with zero fucks given about resources or preserving the system fucnctions that we need to develop and maintain product features

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 25, 2018

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

External mandates are just the pain of life but for internal stuff if you dont have a story about how to respond to things someone else is going to make one (and that person will be an exec and dumb)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

there are no specific mandates regarding gdpr or data management yet but the previous round of mandates showed that the management is inclined to overreact blindly with zero fucks given about resources or preserving the system fucnctions that we need to develop and maintain product features
i'm incredibly sorry that for the very first time in your career you've been told to consider information security. please accept my warmest condolences and sympathies

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i have considered it throughout my employment here and have consistently been told "doesn't fit in the time frame" or "we don't sell that" and eventually stopped making suggestions leaving it to the idiot big boss to finally come in and drive things after we'd accumulated shitloads of debt. (gfys)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
gee whiz it's like i'm the only person in yospos who ever worked under management who thought basic best practices were "not a priority" (until they were, and then having resources to deploy them was not a priority)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

gee whiz it's like i'm the only person in yospos who ever worked under management who thought basic best practices were "not a priority" (until they were, and then having resources to deploy them was not a priority)
no but you did come in here to lay the blame squarely at the feet of the regulations, of which the rest of the world has known about for uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh two years?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

no but you did come in here to lay the blame squarely at the feet of the regulations, of which the rest of the world has known about for uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh two years?

i mean, nobody thought they'd actually do it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
not being a european resident i had never heard a peep about gdpr until it came up obliquely in the zuckerberg testimony, my "blame" is directed at the magical idea that a data management utopia can be created by blasting out blind mandates (legal or corporate) without regard for resource availability or the continuity of existing services

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
sounds like whoever it is in your company that deals with european customers is a real fuckup

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i mean if they're getting blindsided by new laws on the day enforcement begins it sounds like their company might not even have a legal department

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gazpacho posted:

You're complaining about GDPR (because you see it creating headaches for you), but it sounds like your job is the root cause to your problems. Have you considered fixing that, or are you stuck where you are for the foreseeable future for external reasons?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

not being a european resident i had never heard a peep about gdpr until it came up obliquely in the zuckerberg testimony, my "blame" is directed at the magical idea that a data management utopia can be created by blasting out blind mandates (legal or corporate) without regard for resource availability or the continuity of existing services

if you don't have assets in the EU ur all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Shaggar posted:

if you don't have assets in the EU ur all good.

what if that's true of your company but not the clients you provide services to, and those clients are sending out forms to all their vendors requesting certification of gdpr compliance, because apparently gdpr says something about getting your vendors to comply?

• Locked thread