Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

Trying to decide tonight if I wanna do a second Divine Beast, or if I want to continue to wander the world for shrines. Or if I wanna try to get past all those flying guardians and reach the Akkala tower today, it's the last one I have to do. My first couple attempts were failures, but that was when I had 5 hearts and 2 stamina upgrades, so now I can probably just come in from off the path and avoid their searchlights.

I just beat the poo poo out of them with metal boxes. Very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I just beat the poo poo out of them with metal boxes. Very satisfying.

Agreed.

Also really getting into my second run through on the game. It's super satisfying having to use more strategy since I'm not as strong as my OG run through version. Man this is such a drat good game.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
I’m on my second play through right now on Master Mode and the Trial Of The Sword is no joke this time. I’m getting caught in the same room everyone else does on the Beginner Trials. I did Eventide just before as a warm up, but Lizalfos are still the bane of the play through

Now at least I can go blow off steam killing Gold Lynels now

Having to be more creative about everything has been a lot of fun as well. I’ve got three of the Beasts done, but still have to be clever or be accurate to kill off enemy camps

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lizalfos are really the bane of master mode in general. The fuckers like to play keepaway, move about in such a way that they're impossible to hit to reset the regen, and their attacks are hard to dodge. Golden Lizalfos gets my vote for Most Annoying Enemy, easily. Thankfully a large amount of the lizalfos in game are the elemental varieties that can be trivially destroyed via weakness.

My master mode playthrough is making me wish the maps were a bit harder to get in the game. I'm doing a lot of mapless exploration and it's really pointing out how the game actually has lots of clever ways for you to orient yourself and get your bearings without reading the map. And it really is a bit more exciting not always knowing what's around the next corner or behind the hill. I'm currently doing the climb to hebra mountain before getting the tower and this is probably the first time i've ever been lost in this game. And it's a great feeling!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Lizalfos are really the bane of master mode in general. The fuckers like to play keepaway, move about in such a way that they're impossible to hit to reset the regen, and their attacks are hard to dodge. Golden Lizalfos gets my vote for Most Annoying Enemy, easily. Thankfully a large amount of the lizalfos in game are the elemental varieties that can be trivially destroyed via weakness.

My master mode playthrough is making me wish the maps were a bit harder to get in the game. I'm doing a lot of mapless exploration and it's really pointing out how the game actually has lots of clever ways for you to orient yourself and get your bearings without reading the map. And it really is a bit more exciting not always knowing what's around the next corner or behind the hill. I'm currently doing the climb to hebra mountain before getting the tower and this is probably the first time i've ever been lost in this game. And it's a great feeling!

Playing mapless sounds really neat. I loved climbing the towers and unlocking the maps, but I think I'll make my second play-through mapless, it sounds like a really fun challenge that way. How do you orient yourself?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's lots of landmarks available (even in the hebra mountains there's the flags left on the climbing route), and the world is in general designed in such a way that you always see something remarkable on the horizon, probably hyrule castle in most of the world, to know your general location from. Not having a map doesn't mean you can't use beacons and the minimap to keep track of heading. Plus, hero's path is great if you really need a "where exactly did i come from again?" reminder.

I can't really put the full reason into words in a way that I'm satisfied with but the world design is just super good, there's always paths leading to interesting things from the main roads and your gaze is lead to the places they want you to see.

I think there's also some places which you're clearly intended to see on the map and go "hmm that looks interesting let's go there" but those are definitely in the minority.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Kass is a poor man's Rooster from Disney's Robin Hood.

Yeah I said it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

Yeah I said it.

His name is Alan-A-Dale, you philistine

He's cool too

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Yeah I said it.

I dunno, Alan-a-Dale didn't seem like he did much aside from acting as a narrator. I remember him firing a few arrows from his lute that all missed their targets, and he lent a helping hand during the prison escape.

On the other hand Kass has helped me find a half dozen or more shrines. And his music cheers me up when I'm exploring. I like Kass a bit better.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've said this before but I'd love to play a mapless run, but with a printed map of the world to orient myself with. If they made another game with a world as big as this they could even play up that aspect a bit and add things like observing the directions birds fly, finding the north star, etc.

Amppelix posted:

I can't really put the full reason into words in a way that I'm satisfied with but the world design is just super good, there's always paths leading to interesting things from the main roads and your gaze is lead to the places they want you to see.

I think there's also some places which you're clearly intended to see on the map and go "hmm that looks interesting let's go there" but those are definitely in the minority.

Have you seen that document translating bits of a talk they gave on how they designed the world?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_UmRDesMyvQkdOWV9rVjlKaDQ/view

Argue fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 26, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Argue posted:

I've said this before but I'd love to play a mapless run, but with a printed map of the world to orient myself with. If they made another game with a world as big as this they could even play up that aspect a bit and add things like observing the directions birds fly, finding the north star, etc.

Have you seen that document translating bits of a talk they gave on how they designed the world?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_UmRDesMyvQkdOWV9rVjlKaDQ/view

Better yet you draw it yourself. I didn't do it myself, but didn't tons of people do that with Zelda 1?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Better yet you draw it yourself. I didn't do it myself, but didn't tons of people do that with Zelda 1?

Zelda 1 came with a complete printed map.

I still have mine, but it's pretty torn up at the folds -I've thought of framing it with the BotW map

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Drawing a map of a realistic landscape is perhaps slightly tougher than drawing a grid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm planning to start and stick with the more minimal UI on a potential replay.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

Zelda 1 came with a complete printed map.

No it didn't, it came with a small section of the map printed that showed you how to get to Dungeon 2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NAANE.pdf

There must've been two editions or something. Here's the official manual from nintendo and there is that small section of map but also a mostly full map with only the corners missing (and obviously intended for you to draw in)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NAANE.pdf

There must've been two editions or something. Here's the official manual from nintendo and there is that small section of map but also a mostly full map with only the corners missing (and obviously intended for you to draw in)

I guess there had to be, I don't remember that in my copy of the manual and none of the scans of the manual I've found online have that page.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In addition to the manual, my game came with a six or eight panel folded map. It's the entire first quest overworld with no labels. Game graphics.

I'm 99% certain this was a pack-in and not a Nintendo Power thing or whatever, but it was admittedly a long time ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My copy of the game had that too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I haven't picked up BOTW since I beat it. How long/good is the dlc?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spacebump posted:

I haven't picked up BOTW since I beat it. How long/good is the dlc?

It's good fun. Well worth it.

DLC 1: The Master Quest is New Game + with more powerful enemies with health regeneration, and floating platforms with extra treasure on, and the Trial of the Sword is kind of a pumped-up Eventide - a series of rooms you start with no equipment, that give you a permanently-glowy double-power Master Sword at the end. And the Travel Medallion is really useful.

DLC 2: The first bit to open the Champion's Ballad quest up is mildly bullshit, but after that it's finding and clearing more shrines to get to a super-shrine where you win a Divine Beast of your very own. (A starting quest on the Plateau, then 3 shrines per Divine Beast, then a Divine Beast rerun, then a final big shrine.)

And both add extra armor to play dress-up with.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What was the recipe for the cheap elixir that sells for 100 rupees? I read it a million pages ago and can't find it again, and I need to buy some clothes. It was something like 4 bokoblin horns and a snail, but trying that got me the bad food result.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Phenotype posted:

What was the recipe for the cheap elixir that sells for 100 rupees? I read it a million pages ago and can't find it again, and I need to buy some clothes. It was something like 4 bokoblin horns and a snail, but trying that got me the bad food result.

4 bokoblin horns and a firefly

Snails are used in food recipes

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Speaking of DLC stuff, did anyone feel like the "big prize" was lackluster? It felt like a lot of work with an unequal payoff and I felt a bit cheated. Calling the Master Cycle Zero a Divine Beast, which the game seems to, is almost insulting.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 26, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gypped is a bit of an offensive word, be careful.

Otherwise, I agree. I think the MSZ is a bit lackluster, but I can see where Nintendo was going with adding some travel options to the game to give postgame exploration some kick.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
I think the dungeon you have to do before you get it is the actual Beast.
I feel like the cycle was just some gravy at the end for making screwing around in the end game more fun, though I wish we could get it earlier for second play throughs if you had already unlocked it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

4 bokoblin horns and a firefly

Snails are used in food recipes
This reminds me: has anyone else experimented with what you can put into an elixir? I was baffled by how it seemed impossible to make level 3 elixirs with just the bugs they give you (4 bugs + any monster part will pretty much always get you a level 2 effect) not to mention how hard to find the beetles are, it all seemed like a complete waste compared to regular food.

Well it all made sense when I realized that you can actually put most, but not all, of the regular food ingredients into elixirs to strengthen the effect, and add some healing too. As long as you have at least one bug and one monster part, the creation will be an elixir. Any marine life seems to be fair game as are mushrooms, but fruit for example will result in dubious food.

This way elixirs actually become the best way to make food, since you can use high-level monster parts to get the effects lasting way longer than you can on food. If you just toss five bananas into a pot you'll get four minutes of attack up, but if you use a rhino beetle, bokoblin guts, and then various things like razorshrooms, mighty porgies, and crabs, you'll get something closer to nine minutes.

As a side note it seems that using different types of ingredients in the same recipe will get you better results than using multiples of the same, too.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 26, 2018

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

This reminds me: has anyone else experimented with what you can put into an elixir? I was baffled by how it seemed impossible to make level 3 elixirs with just the bugs they give you (4 bugs + any monster part will pretty much always get you a level 2 effect) not to mention how hard to find the beetles are, it all seemed like a complete waste compared to regular food.

Well it all made sense when I realized that you can actually put most, but not all, of the regular food ingredients into elixirs to strengthen the effect, and add some healing too. As long as you have at least one bug and one monster part, the creation will be an elixir. Any marine life seems to be fair game as are mushrooms, but fruit for example will result in dubious food.

This way elixirs actually become the best way to make food, since you can use high-level monster parts to get the effects lasting way longer than you can on food. If you just toss five bananas into a pot you'll get four minutes of attack up, but if you use a rhino beetle, bokoblin guts, and then various things like razorshrooms, mighty porgies, and crabs, you'll get something closer to nine minutes.

As a side note it seems that using different types of ingredients in the same recipe will get you better results than using multiples of the same, too.

The problem with this is dragon horns raise an effect’s time to 30 minutes and are incredibly easy to get. Also dragon parts count as a spice and don’t work in elixirs. So I could just throw 4 bananas and a dragon horn into a pot and I’d get a way better result than what you just mentioned.

I suppose that’s one of my few complaints about this game: trying to be creative with cooking never works.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I suppose that’s one of my few complaints about this game: trying to be creative with cooking never works.

Honestly, same for me.

I adore this game, probably the best I've played in over a decade if not more buuuuuuuut I do wish the cooking system was a bit more complex if only because of the variety of ingredients that already exist in game. Really lost its luster when i figured out that 1 hearty anything + literally 4 of any other food and its a max health meal. oh.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Honestly, same for me.

I adore this game, probably the best I've played in over a decade if not more buuuuuuuut I do wish the cooking system was a bit more complex if only because of the variety of ingredients that already exist in game. Really lost its luster when i figured out that 1 hearty anything + literally 4 of any other food and its a max health meal. oh.

It's actually slightly more effective. 1 hearty anything in the pot = Max health meal with whatever number of bonus hearts that particular Hearty Food provides. No other mundane food is required unless you want some variety in your Hearty Meals.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Otherwise, I agree. I think the MSZ is a bit lackluster, but I can see where Nintendo was going with adding some travel options to the game to give postgame exploration some kick.
I can see about the travel thing, but chances are by that point you've unlocked at least half the shrines, and that point you *must* have activated all four Divine Beasts, so there's not nearly as much to travel to on foot/horse/bike anymore you can't just warp to.

The Gillman posted:

I think the dungeon you have to do before you get it is the actual Beast.
I mean it might be, but it's the bike that appears on the loading screen alongside the other beasts. Either way, if it's the dungeon that's the Divine Beast, it's skill a bit lame because unlike all the other beasts it just serves to hold a faster horse that takes fuel and nothing else.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dragon horns are incredibly easy to get??

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

b_d posted:

Yes: there is a cave in front of a pool where Farosh erupts from every morning and you set up a campfire in the cave, wait for Farosh to appear, jump up and catch the wind for a second and then bullet time and shoot his horn with a long-range bow. Once the piece of horn lands on the ground you just sit by the fire and start the cycle again as I think something like 20 pieces of dragon can just sit on the ground waiting to be picked up.

And I felt that MB0 adds a lot to the game but my enjoyment comes from exploring every nook and cranny of Hyrule; the shrines etc are secondary for me v:shobon:v

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

b_d posted:

Pick a spawning point, light a fire, skip to morning, shoot a chunk off, repeat.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

b_d posted:

Yeah. All the dragons have regular routes that they do not deviate from unless you shoot them (though you might need to Pray at the appropriate shrine to cause this; unsure).. Mighty bananas are probably a little easier to acquire en masse than dragon parts, but I'm hard-pressed to think of another ingredient that is easier to acquire at speed at the right location with the right equipment.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's no reason to ever do that besides when upgrading the hero set, and 30 minute effects are massive overkill anyway, and it's the most boring activity imaginable in botw, and I'd rather be having fun when i play

So I don't have huge stock of dragon horns on me. I do like experimenting to find the optimal elixir ratios anyway.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

I can see about the travel thing, but chances are by that point you've unlocked at least half the shrines, and that point you *must* have activated all four Divine Beasts, so there's not nearly as much to travel to on foot/horse/bike anymore you can't just warp to.

I mean it might be, but it's the bike that appears on the loading screen alongside the other beasts. Either way, if it's the dungeon that's the Divine Beast, it's skill a bit lame because unlike all the other beasts it just serves to hold a faster horse that takes fuel and nothing else.

By the time I got the MSZ, I had about 95 shrines unlocked. But now BotW has transitioned from "a game I play for objectives" to "a game I chill out to with a podcast going on headphones." So, I'm telling myself I can only explore on foot, that kind of thing.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

For me the biggest disappointment with the MSZ isn't that you get it way too late but that you can't use it in the desert :mad:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the no desert usage is total bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Amppelix posted:

There's no reason to ever do that besides when upgrading the hero set, and 30 minute effects are massive overkill anyway, and it's the most boring activity imaginable in botw, and I'd rather be having fun when i play

So I don't have huge stock of dragon horns on me. I do like experimenting to find the optimal elixir ratios anyway.

Same.

I have a few 30 minute meals sitting around but I've probably only farmed like ten scales total ever, and only bothered to do that because I needed the buff for the trials.

I also deliberately avoid making more than a few meals that give yellow hearts at a time and use them as emergency full heals. I have like 16 heart containers, what's the point in having them if I'm just gonna ignore the mechanic entirely and abuse yellow hearts all the time? It's more fun to play around with the system and make different foods/elixers than to just go for the boring optimal route constantly.