Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

Is your name-list changing on you a known bug? All my humans had human-sounding names but now they all have silly alien names.
Did you cybernetically augment them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol the contingency spawned two machine worlds right smack dab in the middle of my empire and are barfing out 120k fleets faster than I can deal with them, and a third has spawned close enough that it's about three systems away from chewing into my northern borders. The Xenophile fallen empire, who have been rad dudes to me in the past, awakened via Guardian of the Galaxy. I checked their new diplomacy window and noticed I could now invite them to a federation. On a lark, I tried sending an invite to see what their text reply would be since my other ally in it they apparently hate and they had a -2062 rating on joining the federation, and...they joined anyways! So now it's the Starnosians(me), Gekkans(my last game's empire), and these cool ridge-headed dudes against the Contingency because they're kicking the poo poo out of everyone else in the galaxy outside of a different awakened fallen empire who has been conquering the northeast of the galaxy for decades now, but seems to do a bang-up job against Contingency fleets despite having 2/3 the fleet strength on average. And now the Custodian fallen empire has malfunctioned and gone rampant, also in the northeast, declaring war on the machine empire that borders me since they can reach them through a wormhole. The northwest meanwhile has a Hegemonic Imperialist and Democratic Crusader pair of empires who have literally been waging war back and forth against each other since I started this game, like from the word go they were butting heads, and still are, even while the rest of the galaxy burns around them.

This is the sort of clusterfuck I play Stellaris for. Now Paradox just needs to fix whatever AI bug causes the game to lock up for 10-20 seconds at a time fairly frequently, and it'll be golden.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strudel Man posted:

Did you cybernetically augment them?

Correct, I assume this is the cause of the bug? Is there a way to fix it, like even save-editing?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gimmick Account posted:

Wiz or Mune, any chance we could get a cute avian portrait like a rowi kiwi lookalike in the forseeable future? I really liked the cuties pack (especially when horribly mismatched with sinister ideologies), but the avian species group that I am otherwise quite fond of doesn't really have anything that fits the bill.

for a moment I was excited that there were more adorable portraits in a new dlc pack for me to turn into zerg or purifiers or fascists, but apparently it's just the ones packaged with Leviathans :(

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the sort of clusterfuck I play Stellaris for. Now Paradox just needs to fix whatever AI bug causes the game to lock up for 10-20 seconds at a time fairly frequently, and it'll be golden.
That annual (or sometimes more often) hiccup that gets worse as a game goes in can be a real buzz kill and I hope they are able to address it soon.

As for crisis induced clusterfucks, the game I'm on the verge of calling 'done' is currently in the midst of a Contingency crisis as well and after dealing with the sterilization hub that popped up in the middle of my empire I've decided to park my fleets so I can see how the AI deals with the problem (and also I hate them and want to get as many people killed as possible). At this point the galaxy has split into two very large federations (who hate each other) plus two awakened empires who also hate each other since the first War in Heaven ended with a wet fart. The AI is actually doing pretty well for itself fleet wise and had a good handle on the situation until the Contingency unleashed their newest weapon - the siren's call:

This picture represents a pretty good good potion of the galaxy's fire power and it continues to grow as new fleets wander over and get trapped in the snare. Every two or three days they get ready to jump somewhere (their mission window saying they want to 'attack starbase', I suspect it's the sterilization hub in the next system) but they probably figure they don't have enough firepower to take it on safely and stop, just sitting there with 'no orders' until the cycle begins again a couple days later. This has been going on for years now. While all this was going on the awakened empires were doing a fairly good job of mopping up the roving Contingency fleets until the xenophobe empire decided it was time for War in Heaven 3. Now that their fleets are distracted with pacifying/cracking each other's worlds the Contingency is once again free to start sterilizing everyone.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 27, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

Correct, I assume this is the cause of the bug? Is there a way to fix it, like even save-editing?
Save-editing, maybe, but no other way. And yeah, the "flesh is weak" project randomizes your namelist based on species type. I've reported it as a bug once or twice but never got a response on the forum.

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

Has anyone found the L-gate event way too powerful for a "mid game event"? The nanobots can basically spawn infinite fleets that kill everything in one hit. Even using massed corvettes (which seems to be the best strategy given their death lasers) I was still not able to even find their base with a 75k fleet. Exploration is also screwy in the L-cluster: normally my sensors should let me see into the next system, but I found that I had to sacrifice a science ship for every hop.

The nanobots also instantly destroy any starbase you try to build, so slowly trying to take the sector doesn't seem to work. They also don't count as a faction with which you are at war, so your allies / vassals can't even help! I guess I shouldn't have played a "tall" empire focused on vassals / allies, but not being able to use them was crippling.

There were 4 L-gates in my galaxy: 2 in my empire and 2 in an AI empire. I got shared vision with the AI empire before opening the gates (to make sure the nanobots didn't go anywhere I cared about) but the nanobots just seemed to spawn at the gates in the AI empire and not move. The one in my empire would spawn a fleet that made a beeline for my capital.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'm playing with guli's planet modifiers, so I don't know if this event is from that, but either way...

:allears:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
No, that's a standard Tomb World event, from all the way back from 1.0 Stellaris. It's random what you get if you open it. Could be nothing but dead folks, could be survivors, could be mutants who attack and can overrun the planet. Lord knows how THAT will interact with the new system control rules.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 27, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bloodly posted:

No, that's a standard Tomb World event, from all the way back from 1.0 Stellaris. It's random what you get if you open it. Could be nothing but dead folks, could be survivors, could be mutants who attack and can overrun the planet. Lord knows how THAT will interact with the new system control rules.

Wow, I’ve gone 450 hours and never seen that before. I really did think it was new!

I got everyone’s dead, so no answers for the mutant question.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bloodly posted:

If it's anything like when the Titanic Life quest goes bad, they kill all the armies and occupy the planet until you take it back.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Invictus posted:

If it's anything like when the Titanic Life quest goes bad, they kill all the armies and occupy the planet until you take it back.

Back when spaceports were planetary, the mutants or giants or what have you that overran the world would gain immediate control of the orbital station as well. I had one particularly galling occasion where I lost a world to mutants, and they took over the most powerful non-FE defensive facility in the galaxy because it was on a major chokepoint facing some real jerks. It took me so long to reclaim it that it really dented my expansion.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ms Adequate posted:

Back when spaceports were planetary, the mutants or giants or what have you that overran the world would gain immediate control of the orbital station as well. I had one particularly galling occasion where I lost a world to mutants, and they took over the most powerful non-FE defensive facility in the galaxy because it was on a major chokepoint facing some real jerks. It took me so long to reclaim it that it really dented my expansion.

Did they ever fix the inability to bombard them since it's still your planet? Trying to chew through Titanic armies with full defensive bonuses was basically impossible until late game.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what's causing this, but I'm doing a cyborg run and these refugees I accepted into my empire just won't take the cyborg implants. Which is to say, setting them to Assimilation citizenship works for a few months but before any are assimilated their citizenship status is set back to Full Citizenship. I tried making a gene mod template and applying it which worked but I can't assimilate the offshoot either. It's only this one dumb species, too.

Otherwise, I'm playing without Glavius and everything is still going great by 2360. Only problem now is the galaxy is full of boring peaceful empires and the only genocidal one is being dogpiled.

Edit: also amongst all the ridiculous trade offers of (their) 12k energy for (my) 8k minerals and so on, I had an empire straight up -gift- me 9k minerals. Just out of the blue. They even had a -20 opinion of me.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 27, 2018

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I picked up some DLC and I'm having a reasonably successful early game, though I had an at times rocky start since my starting constellation is pretty energy credit poor and very mineral rich and it didn't immediately occur to me to trade to keep myself afloat. Now I have a ton of the area claimed with two (going on three) chokepoints keeping my space relatively isolated. I'm pretty well set to turtle, but I have very little military power compared to my neighbors.

How do I catch up with them? Do I just churn out a shitload of corvettes and upgrade what I have whenever I can and hope for the best? How do I best outfit my outposts in my chokepoint systems to prepare for the inevitable?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Meldonox posted:

How do I catch up with them? Do I just churn out a shitload of corvettes and upgrade what I have whenever I can and hope for the best?

yes, while researching techs to make your ships better

Meldonox posted:

How do I best outfit my outposts in my chokepoint systems to prepare for the inevitable?

if you really need to fortify a chokepoint, choose the gun/missile modules for your starbase and the uplink targeting building to give it extra range. also as many defensive platforms as you can afford

don't forget also you can build defensive platforms around unupgraded outposts, to slow down invaders

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meldonox posted:

I picked up some DLC and I'm having a reasonably successful early game, though I had an at times rocky start since my starting constellation is pretty energy credit poor and very mineral rich and it didn't immediately occur to me to trade to keep myself afloat. Now I have a ton of the area claimed with two (going on three) chokepoints keeping my space relatively isolated. I'm pretty well set to turtle, but I have very little military power compared to my neighbors.

How do I catch up with them? Do I just churn out a shitload of corvettes and upgrade what I have whenever I can and hope for the best? How do I best outfit my outposts in my chokepoint systems to prepare for the inevitable?

In my opinion, don't worry about it too much. Unless you're bordering some lunatics or you are yourself playing a lunatic, you can relax a bit and just take time teching up once you've got your space carved out. Just build up your navy gradually, and keep in mind ship upkeep costs; make sure you can support them before throwing too many minerals at ships.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I question how useful the range extenders are - I would say don't bother, I doubt they'll mean you get off more than a single shot when the fighting starts than you would without them.

The communication jammer, or whatever gives -20% disengagement chance to the enemy, is fantastic though. Win or lose, you'll be making the enemy feel the impact a lot more. It's also the reason black hole system choke points are so amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, a key thing about stellaris is that relations are generally very reliable, if it says people like you, they will probably continue to do so unless your relationship drops. Allies are dependably friendly in this game compared to something like Civ, even if they aren't generally super useful. You can rely on them not to attack you. You can also secure NAPs with people which, once broken, still take a few years to wear off before you can actually get invaded.

Throw some money at your neighbours to raise their relations enough to secure an NAP, then watch as trust builds up between you, which will generally secure your relations more permanently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bramble posted:

I question how useful the range extenders are - I would say don't bother, I doubt they'll mean you get off more than a single shot when the fighting starts than you would without them.

The communication jammer, or whatever gives -20% disengagement chance to the enemy, is fantastic though. Win or lose, you'll be making the enemy feel the impact a lot more. It's also the reason black hole system choke points are so amazing.

They are useful if you're fighting battleships at maximum range with medium size guns because otherwise they can sit and shoot at you with impunity. Starbases have a 20% range bonus inherently, I believe, but the extra 50% helps a lot to bring all guns to bear on the enemy regardless of their range. I would agree that reducing disengagement and the shield disruptor are both very good (assuming you aren't running all missiles, at least) but the targeting module is certainly a nice benefit. The earlier engagement range also makes the enemy fleet split up more because the corvettes will charge off ahead of the rest, sooner.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 27, 2018

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

They're useful because sometimes your starbase can't cover the jump points in larger systems. The AI can ignore the starbase and simply fly in, fly over to the nearest jump point while remaining out of range, and then they go gently caress up your sweet juicy undefended territory and get your colony ship killed you cheating gently caress AI the base was right there how dare you exploit weaknesses in my defense strategies

Range extenders have stopped that happening for me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Korgan posted:

They're useful because sometimes your starbase can't cover the jump points in larger systems. The AI can ignore the starbase and simply fly in, fly over to the nearest jump point while remaining out of range, and then they go gently caress up your sweet juicy undefended territory and get your colony ship killed you cheating gently caress AI the base was right there how dare you exploit weaknesses in my defense strategies

This is why I'm researching FTL inhibitors as soon as possible. Now they can't ignore that starbase anymore, the suckers! He he he he

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Korgan posted:

That is also true in the early game until you get FTL inhibitors.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Meldonox posted:

Planets are how you balance your economy. If your space is mineral rich and energy poor you go hard energy on your planets and vice versa. If you're already having energy problems building more ships will make it worse, so make sure to build some energy starbases or up your power plants.

Speaking of planets, the prospect of a new planet management system is making tile management even more frustrating :argh:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll kinda miss the puzzle Alphamod introduces to the tile system, cause I like that mod. Hell with Alphamod you need to make decisions about what buildings you build and what you leave out on a 25-tile capital world.

At the very least it is comforting to know that whatever they replace tiles with, we can be sure it at least won't be the bland as gently caress and completely nonsensical slider UIs other 4X's love. 'Slide this bar between energy and minerals to determine the output of your planet!'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes the tile system can definitely be made more interesting and the AI can be made to handle it better too, but I am hopeful that the new system is going to prove more interesting still.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere but did they change the way it works when a primitive species within your borders becomes an empire? Previously it would just randomly give them the system and you had no say, but now you get a popup where they request the system otherwise you get control of the planet which is pretty nice.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

So I think I don't have enough engineers to build multiple megastructures simultaneously because they're all melting in the first one. :supaburn:

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Yes the tile system can definitely be made more interesting and the AI can be made to handle it better too, but I am hopeful that the new system is going to prove more interesting still.

I've liked all the choices they made in this game. I doubt I'm going to be disappointed in whatever replaces the tile system.

My current game is now getting to late game an as a result I am getting long an frequent lag spikes that just hang the game for a bunch of seconds than stop, I've seen it mentioned here, but I guess I'll take a break until its patched.

The L-Cluster btw is super powerful, I strongly recommend arc emitters prior to opening the gates. Their weapons also appear to ignore armour an shields so it is probably a good idea to buff your hulls with the crystalline entity tech.

The strategic resources in the L cluster are very good too, an the whole thing is great for converting into a cluster of ring worlds for the prestige an unfuckability of it.

isndl posted:

So I think I don't have enough engineers to build multiple megastructures simultaneously because they're all melting in the first one. :supaburn:

Thats so loving cool

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

The L-Cluster btw is super powerful, I strongly recommend arc emitters prior to opening the gates. Their weapons also appear to ignore armour an shields so it is probably a good idea to buff your hulls with the crystalline entity tech.
If you examine their ships you'll see that for the most part their weapons aren't any more special than what you can find at tier IV or V. What really fucks things up is their fighters which bypass shields and armour, going straight for your hull. Having a fleet with good PD coverage is often enough to completely defang them and have a fight on even terms. You don't just need to face tank them every time.

I have noticed an interesting bug(?) that is new in 2.1 now. The fleet power calculations seem to change after a fleet has been in combat. When first built ships will have a lower power rating than they normally should but as soon as they've engaged something the numbers straighten themselves out. Not sure why that is. The hull and armour boosting techs/resources also mess with new ships. When they leave drydock they'll have 100% health/armour but they must remain docked until they're repaired to 120% to gain the full bonus.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Psychotic Weasel posted:

If you examine their ships you'll see that for the most part their weapons aren't any more special than what you can find at tier IV or V. What really fucks things up is their fighters which bypass shields and armour, going straight for your hull. Having a fleet with good PD coverage is often enough to completely defang them and have a fight on even terms. You don't just need to face tank them every time.

Test case for strike craft updates maybe?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I have noticed an interesting bug(?) that is new in 2.1 now. The fleet power calculations seem to change after a fleet has been in combat. When first built ships will have a lower power rating than they normally should but as soon as they've engaged something the numbers straighten themselves out. Not sure why that is. The hull and armour boosting techs/resources also mess with new ships. When they leave drydock they'll have 100% health/armour but they must remain docked until they're repaired to 120% to gain the full bonus.

Isn't this because ships and armies now both gain experience from combat and rank up to become more powerful?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Isn't this because ships and armies now both gain experience from combat and rank up to become more powerful?

I thought that but no, I've built ships at experienced level and they show a markedly lower power score than established ships, even accounting for admirals.

I don't really understand what's causing it but it was a matter of like, 2000 fleet power in a fleet of total 4k (new built) and 6k (old fleet, same pattern).

After I fought with both fleets for a bit they evened out, but I don't know why.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Are strike craft still bad? How has the weapons meta changed? I’m still rocking neighbors with torp/autocannon corvette swarms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nightgull posted:

Are strike craft still bad? How has the weapons meta changed? I’m still rocking neighbors with torp/autocannon corvette swarms.

That's still basically the best solution because torpedoes are extremely good. You can probably build any fleet you want because nothing is really bad (except strike craft) but torpedo corvettes are the easiest thing to build because you start with all the basic parts for them, and torpedoes ignore shields, counter armour, and do lots of damage.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

I thought that but no, I've built ships at experienced level and they show a markedly lower power score than established ships, even accounting for admirals.

I don't really understand what's causing it but it was a matter of like, 2000 fleet power in a fleet of total 4k (new built) and 6k (old fleet, same pattern).

After I fought with both fleets for a bit they evened out, but I don't know why.

Save and reload. There's a bug with fleetpower display.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is there anyway to cut down on the relentless amount of busy-work? I don't remember it being this bad at release.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

isndl posted:

You shouldn't build Dyson Spheres around stars that are going supernova.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

isndl posted:

Wow, this is so cool. Your commentary gives it the final touch. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

for a moment I was excited that there were more adorable portraits in a new dlc pack for me to turn into zerg or purifiers or fascists, but apparently it's just the ones packaged with Leviathans :(

Yeah, sorry - I should have phrased that better. Didn't want to get your hopes up and then crush them like that!

I wonder if the official Stellaris artist(s) would take commissions for species portrait mods? Probably have their hands too full with regular Paradox work, already.