Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

I love / hate it when driving and your npc buddies decide to use the rear seat behind the drivers, and you come to an action movie slide and stop infront of a horde, bailing out the car, weapons in hand, ready for action, only to be suddenly smashed to the curb by your careless buddy throwing his door open into your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is it possible to enlist more than 1 npc follower to go with you ?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
You know how in zombie movies they all do the "humans are the real monsters" thing? In this game it's ladders.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Berious posted:

You know how in zombie movies they all do the "humans are the real monsters" thing? In this game it's ladders.

I love that it gives you the tooltip to "Press W to use ladder" when you're clearly facing straight off the edge of a tower not even looking at the ladder. Also I hurt myself bad on first two ladders in game by accidentally jumping off while descending.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
*just dodge to get past people they said*
https://i.imgur.com/hI0igEr.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/HIg983R.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/X8i0wAi.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/yFxNBMS.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 28, 2018

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Are homes/outposts actually safe zones? Zombies can climb the walls and sometimes my idiot companions open the gate to fight them and then leave it open.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wow, so the Gunslinger skill really just lets you autozoom on zombie heads for quick shooting, huh? That's fantastic.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My doctor has -10 morale because he’s a “victim” wtf does that mean and how do I get rid of it? He keeps starting fights. I have water and constantly have tons of food and stuff I don’t know what more these people want.

Also, when does the game get hard? Honestly juggernaut was scary the first time I fought him, but other than that the hardest part of the game is not falling off a three story roof and getting two injuries right before you go fight a plague heart.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My doctor has -10 morale because he’s a “victim” wtf does that mean and how do I get rid of it? He keeps starting fights. I have water and constantly have tons of food and stuff I don’t know what more these people want.

Also, when does the game get hard? Honestly juggernaut was scary the first time I fought him, but other than that the hardest part of the game is not falling off a three story roof and getting two injuries right before you go fight a plague heart.

Victim means someone started a fight with him. It goes away eventually. You can just kick him out if he's causing too much trouble.

The game gets hard right in the beginning and then gets easier from there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

AndrewP posted:

Are homes/outposts actually safe zones? Zombies can climb the walls and sometimes my idiot companions open the gate to fight them and then leave it open.

They're places where zombies can't spawn, but zeds seem to wander around far more than they did in SoD1 so ostensibly safe zones are commonly overrun, plus NPCs don't use watchtowers properly so nobody is keeping things clear.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

these own.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

They're places where zombies can't spawn, but zeds seem to wander around far more than they did in SoD1 so ostensibly safe zones are commonly overrun, plus NPCs don't use watchtowers properly so nobody is keeping things clear.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sylink posted:

Is it possible to enlist more than 1 npc follower to go with you ?

If you have allied communities on your side you can enlist them to go over the one follower cap.

It's presumably doable otherwise, given that preview videos all showed 4 man groups. No clue how other than that though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
As far as I can tell, you can't enlist multiples of the same "source". That is to say, you can't have more than one enlisted home member, you can't have more than one side quest tag-along, you can't have more than one neighbour enclave enlisted. Now that I think about it, I haven't actually tried multiple side questers or enclave neighbours but you can enlist all of those to fill out a four man squad.

Most of the preview footage was probably four humans in multiplayer.

https://giant.gfycat.com/JealousBronzeEastrussiancoursinghounds.webm

This game is good and fun and broken in all the same charming ways as the first.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/KZUVC7R.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/kerRv5N.gifv

it feels like as soon as the game starts desyncing in multiplayer it just gets worse and worse until you crash out

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So today I learned some really interesting things.

The quests you get from leadership lines have branching paths. I ignored a rare book/wandering trader complaining that a nearby community (of drunk, wine producing survivors that are armed to the teeth. Think drunkenly spraying and praying and nearly blowing up my car by accident.) was threatening him with guns when he passed close by. I closed out rather than do this mission. Which failed it. Which lead to a second sheriff mission where one of the community members was falsely accused of murdering another community member and fled across the map.

I exonerated her. The interesting thing was what I discovered. Next to her was the book trader, Caleb. Who was hostile to her enclave. As in, NPC enclaves can be hostile to each other. He was not marked on the map and when she came out of the storage shed opened fire on her. They beat the poo poo out of each other before slinking back to their respective buildings. At which point I managed to start the quest. It was painfully obvious as well that Caleb was the murderer. Except it turned out that it was actually a different community member all along. She pulled a gun on me and tried to headshot the investigator as I pointed out that the entry wounds didn't match the caliber of round from the pistol of the acccused.

poo poo like this makes me want the NPC's to actually journey around the game world and interact with each other. Because holy poo poo was that entire thing was emergent as heck.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 29, 2018

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Safe Zones means Zombies don't spawn inside the white cirlces, not that they never go there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Just finished up my first community, think I can officially say that State of Decay 2 is Extremely My Speed and that I'm gonna be playing this for a long-rear end time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Staging Area; worth it? I built it hoping it would reduce all upkeep but seems to only get rid of the materials upkeep which seem kinda meh. I do like that I was able to build an auto mechanic, craft a bunch of the upgrades, then demolish it. The passive vehicle upgrades that gives seems pretty lovely so I think I'll just build one when I need to craft some upgrades but I made 2 of each which should last me.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 29, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

explosivo posted:

Staging Area; worth it? I built it hoping it would reduce all upkeep but seems to only get rid of the materials upkeep which seem kinda meh.

When I moved into the brewery I kept it around until I had all the facilities I wanted built, then got rid of it. It's nice but it's just not more valuable than something else that could go in a large slot like an auto shop

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Just finished up my first community, think I can officially say that State of Decay 2 is Extremely My Speed and that I'm gonna be playing this for a long-rear end time.

I’ve been enjoying the same a lot too. How many legacy quest to finish a community? I think I’ve done two or three legacy quest in nine days.

Also, the police cruiser owns if you find one. The sirens make so much noise and bring all the zombies too you. I have two favorite guns so far. A 5.56 bolt action that I threw a lovely homemade suppressor on. Bolt actions can’t break so the lovely suppressor doesn’t matter. Also the .22 rifle with a suppressor just because the ammo is so common.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Zigmidge posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/JealousBronzeEastrussiancoursinghounds.webm

This game is good and fun and broken in all the same charming ways as the first.

was gonna ask if this game was fun...

holy poo poo, that loving rules!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

When I moved into the brewery I kept it around until I had all the facilities I wanted built, then got rid of it. It's nice but it's just not more valuable than something else that could go in a large slot like an auto shop

Generally speaking on some of the 3,500 influence bases the staging area is invaluable. On smaller bases it's iffy and depends on your team layout and general plans. This is because as the number of building slots and moddable slots goes up the average amount of materials increases due to upgraded buildings existing in higher numbers. So you can be looking at anywhere from -5 to -7 materials per day in the worst case. Which with the staging area makes it so that you don't have to spend every in game day frantically hunting for more materials (and can consequentially spare more of them for part conversion).

If you get the Vintners/alcohol call in you can skip farming entirely and build a staging area for the removal of material maintenance. A good roll of the radio call in (There are apparently different versions of the supply drops. I had a plague drop that gave medical resources every time.) when completing the project gives a 100% guaranteed food resource drop. Couple that with the fact that the alcohol and molotovs in the package sell for as much as or more than the call in price and you have infinite food supplies/influence when capped out.

quote:

Also, the police cruiser owns if you find one. The sirens make so much noise and bring all the zombies too you. I have two favorite guns so far. A 5.56 bolt action that I threw a lovely homemade suppressor on. Bolt actions can’t break so the lovely suppressor doesn’t matter. Also the .22 rifle with a suppressor just because the ammo is so common.

Wait. It has sirens? Or is that just the unupgraded version? I used a heavy vehicle upgrading kit and it turned it into a badass heavily armored version of the Interceptor from Mad Max. Using the honk button causes an air horn to go off and attract ridiculous numbers of zombies. Which i've used to call down a massive 30 zombie horde to annihilate a group of neighbors that were trying to extort me for resources constantly by threatening violence.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 29, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Archonex posted:

Wait. It has sirens? Or is that just the unupgraded version? I used a heavy vehicle upgrading kit and it turned it into a badass heavily armored version of the Interceptor from Mad Max. Using the honk button causes an air horn to go off and attract ridiculous numbers of zombies. Which i've used to call down a massive 30 zombie horde to annihilate a group of neighbors that were trying to extort me for resources constantly by threatening violence.

Yeah. It was from the quest Parker’s Action Hero: Fast Cars. I think? It was 1. Find a badass car; two and three run over five zombies and a feral respectively. It’s just a police cruiser and has the light bar, I didn’t upgrade it.

How should I be using radio calls? I’ve more or less ignored it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^^ I've been using them when I need supplies I'm low on > supplies I'm on a mission for > looking for plague hearts, pretty much in that order of priority. I'm swimming in influence anyway so might as well.

Picked up the gamepass, been enjoying playing the game a lot even with (or because of?) the jank. Started with the bickering on again/off again lesbian couple and eventually one of them became sheriff of town while her girlfriend mostly sits in the base until she gets a hairbrained scheme to help out the local drunks.

Does anything bad happen with exiling survivors? I've got a pair of assholes who won't stop fighting with everyone they can get their hands on and it's becoming a real problem. One of them is also the one who the game always picks to voice concerns about going to help enclaves, so it just makes him seem like a gigantic, whiny rear end in a top hat who's never going to get any better. :sever:

Also, when can I move to a new place? The starting house on the hill in the plateau map is fine but it's really cramped.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CascadeBeta posted:

Also, when can I move to a new place? The starting house on the hill in the plateau map is fine but it's really cramped.

Whenever you find one and have enough influence/community members. The first upgrade from the starting base is I think 1000 influence.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

CascadeBeta posted:

^^ I've been using them when I need supplies I'm low on > supplies I'm on a mission for > looking for plague hearts, pretty much in that order of priority. I'm swimming in influence anyway so might as well.

Picked up the gamepass, been enjoying playing the game a lot even with (or because of?) the jank. Started with the bickering on again/off again lesbian couple and eventually one of them became sheriff of town while her girlfriend mostly sits in the base until she gets a hairbrained scheme to help out the local drunks.

Does anything bad happen with exiling survivors? I've got a pair of assholes who won't stop fighting with everyone they can get their hands on and it's becoming a real problem. One of them is also the one who the game always picks to voice concerns about going to help enclaves, so it just makes him seem like a gigantic, whiny rear end in a top hat who's never going to get any better. :sever:

My bickering lesbian couple ended up being two of my most badass characters, both survived to the end of the community, and I would always take them on missions together. Now they're going to be happy in the (relatively) safe valley their little community has created :v:

You can move into a new place whenever you find one and have the Influence to afford moving. Influence costs vary from like 400 to... I think the most expensive I've seen so far is 3,500?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do certain traders buy certain luxury goods for more than others? I have a trading post and a still and trying to maximize my returns.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you were getting micro-stutters, and got frustrated and gave up, a gamefaq's user gave me hope by saying that he fixed the stutters by going into his Nvidia control panel, and turned on Vertical Sync: Fast. It seemed to fix everything for me, so it might be helpful for anyone else whose still trying to get it fixed.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Bit the bullet and did the final mission for my first community so I can start a new game. Just a heads up, Characters keep whatever was in their inventory/pockets, so you can bring stuff over between playthroughs. Wish i knew this earlier: I would’ve filled up every ones backpacks with the top tier weapons I collected. I assume facility mods are carried over as well but I’ll need to test it.

Also, I started the new game plus straight away with 2 of my favorite characters from the old guard with one brand new randomly generated person. I immediately deleted that file though because I didn’t want to do the Cascade Hills map again. Turns out doing that will “kill” veteran characters, and even remove them from the pool of new game survivors, permanently. Learn from my mistakes, guys. RIP my sassy punk gardener leader, Kylee :smith:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I've only played on the valley and plateau maps and I have to say gently caress the plateau, there's nowhere to cut through because of the giant ravines and Rocky outcroppings

https://i.imgur.com/YQqdHFM.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 29, 2018

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dunno how bad Plateau is, but using a vehicle upgrade kit on a 4 door pickup truck creates a ‘Viking’ vehicle with tons of fuel and raised suspension. Worked great for the off-road sections of cascade hills, anyway.

Of course, no car can escape the dangers of a knee high guardrail in state of decay. Drive safe survivors.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i love that the kiddie pool is a giant idiot trap

https://i.imgur.com/6xcpu5S.gifv

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The plateau didn't really bother me until today when I got alerts for two enclaves on opposite sections of the map. My roadster ain't that fast yo, don't get mad at me because you guys can't do anything yourself.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

The plateau didn't really bother me until today when I got alerts for two enclaves on opposite sections of the map. My roadster ain't that fast yo, don't get mad at me because you guys can't do anything yourself.

Wish they toned down just how often these useless idiots ask for poo poo. If i spent my time catering to them i'd never get anything i want to do done

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I had to use two gas cans to get to and from that enclave that sits on top of a mountain in the plateau

To give them a 22 revolver

In exchange, they said thanks

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

I had to use two gas cans to get to and from that enclave that sits on top of a mountain in the plateau

To give them a 22 revolver

In exchange, they said thanks

Hey thats not all, They'll also hold onto 3 units of food just for you champ.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

Staging Area; worth it? I built it hoping it would reduce all upkeep but seems to only get rid of the materials upkeep which seem kinda meh. I do like that I was able to build an auto mechanic, craft a bunch of the upgrades, then demolish it. The passive vehicle upgrades that gives seems pretty lovely so I think I'll just build one when I need to craft some upgrades but I made 2 of each which should last me.

If I am building a new base I throw one up first then tear it down at the end, other than that seems like a waste.

Caidin posted:

Hey thats not all, They'll also hold onto 3 units of food just for you champ.

This is like when your parents tell you to give them your Halloween candy for "safekeeping"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 29, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Gave this a whirl over the weekend since it's part of Game pass, after having heard mixed stuff about the first one.

This poo poo is stressful and tense, but not in a bad way. Game good and is helping buffer a mild Fortnite addiction (I suck at Fortnite and get salty, and yet I play anyway...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’ve been enjoying the same a lot too. How many legacy quest to finish a community? I think I’ve done two or three legacy quest in nine days.

Sorry, missed this question earlier; I am not at all sure how many legacy quests it took, but the main one is dealing with plague hearts. Once you do that, you're in the end game, I was launched into it pretty much immediately with a sheriff leader and drove around all over the place to check on enclaves and stuff.