Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Rinkles posted:

"Over the same time period" means Skyrim probably sold more. Maybe significantly. Game had legs and now multiple ports.

Yeah. Still, this is hilarious since FO4 is the worst game in the franchise excluding Brotherhood of Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah. Still, this is hilarious since FO4 is the worst game in the franchise excluding Brotherhood of Steel.

It's better then F3. I might also say it's better then Tactics.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Man, I've got a review for you guys but I don't want it to get buried by all this Bethesda stuff because it's for something really, really, really good. Go read it here if you want to hear about how much I love Tower of Time right now, and then I'll post it up in the thread for discussion after everyone gets the Fallout out of their systems.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Oh my, what? That's terrible.

Oh geeez, that game was unironically bad, for me. Like, I was super stoked about it, got the season pass (which I never do) and realized after ~15 hours that I had paid $90 for a lovely version of Minecraft that I didn't want.

Ugh...really hoping CDPR drops some Cyberpunk news at E3... :sweatdrop:

Too Shy Guy posted:

Man, I've got a review for you guys but I don't want it to get buried by all this Bethesda stuff because it's for something really, really, really good. Go read it here if you want to hear about how much I love Tower of Time right now, and then I'll post it up in the thread for discussion after everyone gets the Fallout out of their systems.

This looks neat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rookersh posted:

It's better then F3. I might also say it's better then Tactics.

It's only better than F3 in the gameplay department, it's worse in every other way.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
fallout 4 is the most playable modern fallout game

you can actually hit shots outside of vats

e: i played 3 and nv on console

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

:siren: Bethesda is live on Twitch with a Please Stand By screen.
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

Get ready to be disappointed by something dumb like Fallout Online.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

fallout 4 is the most playable modern fallout game

you can actually hit shots outside of vats

e: i played 3 and nv on console

Yes, it is the best shooter in the franchise. But it's loving terrible as a Fallout game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Yes, it is the best shooter in the franchise. But it's loving terrible as a Fallout game.

It's also still bad as a shooter even if it is better than the previous ones

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Andrast posted:

It's also still bad as a shooter even if it is better than the previous ones

I got doom 2016 and FO4 at the same time.

I hated everything they did on FO4 compared to New Vegas and why would I play it if it was a substandard shooter compared to Doom.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
New Vegas > 3 > 4 for the modern ones in my opinion. FO3 at least had the excuse of resurrecting the series in a totally new style for its foibles. Everything about 4 was just hilariously bad to me: the wasteland aesthetic made no sense, two-thirds of the writing went into those little memento mori scenes (because nobody has moved those skeletons in 200 years despite running a shop), and there were two towns. It was more like a Rage sequel than a Fallout game...

Also, unless you do a gimmick Luck build, FO4 is pretty much no fun gameplay wise. It did give us this video, however, so maybe it was all worth it in the end...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'll accept a fallout 3 remaster if they follow up with a new vegas remaster. Odds aren't good for that one though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's gonna be something stupid and/or boring. Any big announcements won't come until the proper E3 conference at June 10.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ok, by good story and characters, do you mean like an ARPG, or like a proper RPG?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Too Shy Guy posted:

Would you recommend this for someone who loved Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 or is it more in the vein of Pillars Of Eternity and old Black Isle games?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deakul posted:

It's only better than F3 in the gameplay department, it's worse in every other way.

I know I've made this argument before, but go replay Fallout 3. It won't hold up, I guarantee it.

It's got a two towns total. One has 3 quests, one has 4. Combined there are between 9 and 12 side quests in the entire game. There are no factions. ( Fallout 4 only also really has two real towns, but there are significantly more quests in each town, and reasons to go visit them. The accessory towns also tend to have more quests/reasons to visit and stay at them then stuff like Little Lamplight or the Vampire Tunnels. ).

There are only 5-6 unique locations, and all are located in Downtown D.C. Most environments don't actually lead to story/content they just have loot you can grab ( but due to the small loot table, you generally just get guns you can throw into the endless repair furnace. ).

There are only 3-4 Ranged Weapons, and 2-3 Energy Weapons. There are no real unique weapons. If you go Energy Weapons you at least have something of an upgrade path as you can eventually go from Hunting Rifles > AKs > Energy > Plasma, but if you went Ranged only you'll probably be stuck with the Hunting Rifle all the way to max level, maybe the Chinese Assault Rifle. There is technically a single Sniper Rifle in the game, but it's still bugged to do less damage then the Hunting Rifle because Bethesda thought it's range was enough of a bonus ( so you'll use the Hunting Rifle due to the bulletsponge problem. ). None of the Shotguns do fuckall after about midway through the game due to the rapidly rising HP of enemies.

It suffers from the Borderlands problem of bulletspongey enemies, to a degree worse then F4. If you hit Point Lookout at max level you can easily go through 3-5 reloads with the Chinese Assault Rifle per ghoul, even with max Ranged Weapons/full stims. Energy Weapons don't do much better.

You can explore between 75%-80% of the entire world in sub 20 hours. You can do all the DLC as well in sub 25 hours. This is with all/most quests done and getting to max level.

It's not a bad game, but it tries to be Fallout 1 without the writing/experience of being a 2d Isometric game. A short form experience doesn't translate well to an open world like that, especially with how much is missing. They do a lot of fillin with random encounters, but it's not enough to offset that the entire game is so devoid of content. It gets a LOT of credit here for both being the first real wasteland open world, and due to the Fallout 4 backlash. But it's not that much better.

Like we can talk about how F4 just has "Sarcastic" as an option all we want, but at least those options generate different responses. In F3 every response is "Yes." "Sure." "Ok, gotcha." but worded differently. There is no interplay at all until you get to one of the three quests that offer you choices.

Fallout 4 has more quests in a single faction then Fallout 3 has in it's entire game world. It's got factions to join, it's got multiple unique environments, it's got dozens of gun types to use ( even if you end up using pipe for a bit too long. ). It's got dozens of side stories and basically every location has something that happened there you can learn about that's unique to it and interesting. There are reasons to pop into random abandoned houses/warehouses even outside of the Settlement System and you find cool stories everywhere, unlike F3.

Neither has good main story quests, both are way too forced so that's a net neutral.

Like it basically boils down to what they try to be and what they are. F3 wants to be a tight story driven experience and thus eschews exploration and gearing up. Except it's story is almost worse then F4s, and there really isn't enough else in the game to support sticking with it for long periods of time. F4 wants to also be a story driven experience, but at least took a step back and built out the exploration/world/auxiliary content so when the story failed the player was still left with plenty of content to enjoy. I put something like 60-70 hours into F4 and basically never continued the core quest after Kellogg because it bored me. I had a lot of fun exploring dozens of different building types, forts, towns etc. I did something like 50-60 side quests. I made a new character and started as a bandit. I did all sorts of cool stuff and the game actually supported that to a degree.

I'm 100% down for a F3 Remaster, but I'm also going to find it really funny if people jump in expecting better F4 and then beat the game over a weekend and see all it's really glaring issues again. Ideally if they are remastering 3 they are also adding in new content/quests, or at the very least more guns to use. A F3 built in the F4 engine with all the F4 guns could ease a lot of the games issues.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

New Vegas > 3 > 4 for the modern ones in my opinion. FO3 at least had the excuse of resurrecting the series in a totally new style for its foibles. Everything about 4 was just hilariously bad to me: the wasteland aesthetic made no sense, two-thirds of the writing went into those little memento mori scenes (because nobody has moved those skeletons in 200 years despite running a shop), and there were two towns. It was more like a Rage sequel than a Fallout game...

Also, unless you do a gimmick Luck build, FO4 is pretty much no fun gameplay wise. It did give us this video, however, so maybe it was all worth it in the end...

How was the ending of 4? Before DLCs 3 had that loving infuriating "It's something YOU have to do" radiation death room that your rad-immune ghoul and supermutant buddies just couldn't do for you ending. On the other hand I got bored of 4 and never finished it.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Anyone give Moonlighter a try? It looks just like Recettear, but pixel graphics instead of anime.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606150/Moonlighter/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

How was the ending of 4? Before DLCs 3 had that loving infuriating "It's something YOU have to do" radiation death room that your rad-immune ghoul and supermutant buddies just couldn't do for you ending. On the other hand I got bored of 4 and never finished it.

It's just kind of there?

Seriously the story just ends with one generic slideshow that doesn't represent your choices at all. There's no dumb self sacrifice bit or anything at least.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Depends on the faction, but if you side against the Institute the whole 'no we can't harvest all this technology for good, we have to blow it all up' aspect is irritating.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The ending missions are just you going around destroying all the factions you've become enemies with along the way. It varies by faction but they're all variations on a very big fight followed by a very big explosion, which is then followed by everyone telling you you're the greatest and then a disappointing end-cutscene which only depends on whether you picked male or female and which faction you went with.

It's annoying that there's no other options beyond the scorched earth approach, but it's not quite as dumb as FO3.

You do get to keep playing afterwards if you really want to, with your selected faction being more obvious (I played Institute, for example, and ended up with a whole bunch more synths hanging around the Commonwealth).

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 29, 2018

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sinteres posted:

Depends on the faction, but if you side against the Institute the whole 'no we can't harvest all this technology for good, we have to blow it all up' aspect is irritating.

Also, on the opposite side, "I'm the loving chief of the Institute, let's just give the robots their freedom and leave the Railroad alone" is not on the table either.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Darkrenown posted:

You get a Deus Ex-style choice of:

• Side with the Brotherhood and be the leader of a military dictatorship
  • Side with the Militia and be the leader of a benign dictatorship
  • Side with the Institute and be the leader of a fascist utopia

It's all really dumb, high-school level sci-fi dystopia. I agree with pretty much everything Rookersh said, but ~more stuff~ wasn't enough to make FO4 better for me. I expected the team to take some pages from NV and incorporate it into their design, but they just updated 3 and balloned it with more nonsense. :shrug:

Also, Bethesda games used to wow us with the graphics or technical achievements (Morrowinds armor/graphics, Obilvion's forests/physics). I know that era of PC gaming has mostly left us by, but their inability to push any envelope at this point is depressing.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

MussoliniB posted:

Anyone give Moonlighter a try? It looks just like Recettear, but pixel graphics instead of anime.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606150/Moonlighter/

I'm liking it so far, but the focus of the game is much heavier on the Dungeon diving aspect than the shopkeeping.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Xander77 posted:

Ok, by good story and characters, do you mean like an ARPG, or like a proper RPG?

Definitely proper RPG. Your party members are very distinct characters (and the game brings everyone along as you adventure, not just your active party) and their discussions and arguments are always pretty interesting.

Flaggy posted:

Would you recommend this for someone who loved Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 or is it more in the vein of Pillars Of Eternity and old Black Isle games?

It's hard to say because I haven't played either of the Original Sins but it's way more approachable than Pillars of Eternity. The text is more to the point and the combat is leagues better. The story and interactions may not be as deep, but the plot remains very focused on the neat ideas it raises. Honestly I would recommend it to anyone who likes RPGs period, it feels like it falls into a real sweet spot between complex, verbose games and lighter, less technical ones.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The true battle legale is on: PUBG is suing Fortnite.

Edit: Apparently that news is a day old? I'm out of the loop :(

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Too Shy Guy posted:

Definitely proper RPG. Your party members are very distinct characters (and the game brings everyone along as you adventure, not just your active party) and their discussions and arguments are always pretty interesting.

It's hard to say because I haven't played either of the Original Sins but it's way more approachable than Pillars of Eternity. The text is more to the point and the combat is leagues better. The story and interactions may not be as deep, but the plot remains very focused on the neat ideas it raises. Honestly I would recommend it to anyone who likes RPGs period, it feels like it falls into a real sweet spot between complex, verbose games and lighter, less technical ones.

Thanks for that, the reason I was asking is D:OS is a ton of fun and I had a blast playing it, but Pillars and similar ilk I just can't get through anymore.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Jagged Jim posted:

I'm liking it so far, but the focus of the game is much heavier on the Dungeon diving aspect than the shopkeeping.
It's also pretty difficult so far. To be fair I am a dumb baby, but I feel like I'm missing one or two tools to avoid damage. I'm safe as long as I roll, but when I get a quick jab in I'm left wide open and get wrecked from all directions. The shield isn't good for much since most medium enemy attacks stun you after one hit.

I'd love to be able to lock on to enemies and circle-strafe around them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GhostDog posted:

How dare they steal from us what we stole from a novel.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

GhostDog posted:

I wonder if it's possible for both sides to lose big on this.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is the new Deus Ex game with all the DLC worth $8?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Frog Act posted:

is the new Deus Ex game with all the DLC worth $8?

Yes.

edit: The Pallisades Bank level is one of the best designed exploration hubs...really reminded me of the original DX. Exploring that alone is worth the $8, imo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Re: the PUBG lawsuit, I would imagine the judge will look at the landmark Atari vs everyone lawsuits and laugh them out of court.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
leaked, wrap it up folks

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1001537677714391041

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anyone playing the Street Fighter collection?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Just loving lmao if this isn't a clever shop

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I hope it's for a battle royale Fallout. With lootboxes.

hahahahaha!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

this has to be a fake

has to be

right

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

this has to be a fake

has to be

right
Well, let's check the replies.

(smh that a blurry off-center photo of a computer monitor still fools people. what's next thread, a blurry photo of a sheet of paper with a "NINTENDO E3 LINEUP CONDIFENTIAL" header?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The Kins posted:

Well, let's check the replies.

(smh that a blurry off-center photo of a computer monitor still fools people. what's next thread, a blurry photo of a sheet of paper with a "NINTENDO E3 LINEUP CONDIFENTIAL" header?)

shake your head all you want jerkface that poo poo's still believable in today's gaming market :colbert: