Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Takoluka posted:

The thread overlap that gets all of these jokes is always astounding and fun.

Stan Kelly is a national treasure, and anyone that doesn't know of him is missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

It needs about 4 more people with highly specific shirts but I applaud the effort

And an Umbrella.
e - Too many of us read Poltoons it seems, yes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don’t but I’m an FF14 Alumnus and Fracture Kelly edits had one hell of a heyday there

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ask me about optimal MNK rotations and cross-classes

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I was thinking of a different Kelly, sorry:

Needs a crying Zapfish in the background

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Good lord, I wish there was a "stay with this team" button after a match in Salmon run. Solo queue can be painful.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

This is easily the stupidest, most incompetent, most clownshoes kill I've ever gotten and I couldn't be happier.

https://twitter.com/NovasolSwitch/status/1001274043683684352

doors
May 5, 2018

straight up looks like someone trying to play a charger with stick controls. poor fucker :pray:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We should be getting the next New stage on Friday yeah?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Novasol posted:

This is easily the stupidest, most incompetent, most clownshoes kill I've ever gotten and I couldn't be happier.

https://twitter.com/NovasolSwitch/status/1001274043683684352

This is amazing. :allears:

In Training posted:

We should be getting the next New stage on Friday yeah?

Yep, the next X rank season is hitting this week. So we should be getting the update then.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A bunch of websites just put up a write up about seeing the Octo Expansion at a Nintendo event, probably their pre-E3 journalist week, so it might be coming out soon! The big thing I didn't know about is that the levels have a arcade style credit system. So when you clear a stage you get some coins, and then you spend them to try new stages. If you fail the stage you lose the coin.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I'm going to guess the Octo Expansion is going to be available "immediately following this presentation" for E3.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Canned Panda posted:

I'm going to guess the Octo Expansion is going to be available "immediately following this presentation" for E3.

It is Absolutely going to be This, and if not this then the day after the direct.

That’s when the Off the Hook amiibo and the soundtrack drop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If they had any drat sense, it would release on 8/8/2018! :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tempura Wizard posted:

It is Absolutely going to be This, and if not this then the day after the direct.

That’s when the Off the Hook amiibo and the soundtrack drop.

yeah. Octo Summer!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

drat do you guys really use gyro controls? I can't seem to get the hang of it even when I place the sensitivity up.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

obi_ant posted:

drat do you guys really use gyro controls? I can't seem to get the hang of it even when I place the sensitivity up.

Stick with it, it’s worth learning. Once you get the feeling for it down it will ruin other console third person and FPS games that don’t have gyro aiming because it will suddenly feel like your characters has giant rocks tied to their arms when looking with an analog stick. I’m glad more shooters on Switch are embracing the gyro aiming and still kind of shocks me it’s present no where on the PS4 despite the controllers having gyros

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Think of the gyro aim as if your controller is a laser pointer. You can play with detached Joycons if it helps with the visual metaphor.

Then run through the single-player missions with it. By the end you'll have it down pat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing about beating every level with every weapon is, you gotta beat that loving shower boss with every weapon

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is this game better played with gyro for aiming or dual analog? I recall that in Splatoon 1, gyro was far superior.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

obi_ant posted:

It takes a while for them to click, but when it does, its fantastic. I was in that same boat a month or two ago and it really paid off.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So reading the thread it seems that gyro is better.

I was worried since I recall Nintendo dumbing down motion controls to be in near parity for for pad in ARMS.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was worried since I recall Nintendo dumbing down motion controls to be in near parity for for pad in ARMS.

This killed ARMS for me. I felt like playing with joycons put you at a disadvantage, and I didn't see the point in playing it with traditional controls.

Luckily gyro controls in Splatoon are extremely good.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The gyro isn't that different from the Wii U gamepad. The smaller size is at least more convenient.

Anyway the Octo expansion press previews are out, and looks like it's Splatoon's version of Breath of the Wild's Master Sword Trials, meaning harder hero mode. Except you don't have to start from the very beginning. I approve of this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Speaking of BOTW, the people that worked on that game are working on Octo Expansion. :eyepop:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Elman posted:

This killed ARMS for me. I felt like playing with joycons put you at a disadvantage, and I didn't see the point in playing it with traditional controls.

The motion controls in ARMS are strictly better, as far as I know, because you have more control over simultaneously moving and aiming your punches.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bleck posted:

The motion controls in ARMS are strictly better, as far as I know, because you have more control over simultaneously moving and aiming your punches.

You can't move and punch at the same time.

Joycons do let you aim each punch separately, but aim isn't that big of a deal in that game. Using a stick makes positioning much easier.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Elman posted:

Luckily gyro controls in Splatoon are extremely good.

It's sad because if you have played Rode: The Sky Soldier, you could see the potential.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wait what did they do to ARMS? I have’t played since near release and I recall everyone swearing up and down pad controls were better even though motion controls seemed to be more versatile to me. Did they change something afterwards or was this a change they acknowledged before release?

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 29, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Full level playthroughs in Octo Expansion:

https://twitter.com/OctoboyYT/status/1001493937029304326

The Twitter thread has more level videos.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

obi_ant posted:

I do not, and I do alright enough. I'm not [s]poopsocking[/url]great like some folk here. But I do fine. Then again I bucket.

doors
May 5, 2018

you will never be able to actually track a moving target with stick controls. ever. no matter what. the best you can do is sloppily jerk your crosshair back and forth all over the place. this might be fine in turf war, or even at the lower levels of ranked play, but you'll notice yourself missing more and more of your shots as you climb the ranks. at rank S and higher, stick players have virtually no hope of success outside of a very small set of weapons (the rollers, clash blaster, ink/octobrush).

this is not a very fun situation to be in, trust me. up until a month ago, i had been playing with stick controls. i tore it up in S+ and X with brushes and whatnot, but the lack of variety in weapon types i could effectively use really dampened my enjoyment of a game i used to love to death. don't let that happen to you :eng99:

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Full level playthroughs in Octo Expansion:

https://twitter.com/OctoboyYT/status/1001493937029304326

The Twitter thread has more level videos.

First video is giving me Superman 64 vibes. "If you want to save your friends, solve my maze!". Only this looks a lot more fun and engaging. I'm really hoping for an E3/Treehouse release, too. Nintendo loves announcing access immediately after a presentation, and there seems to be too much hidden data in the game for a July/August release. But you never know.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So how is competitive Splatoon? Is there even such a thing? Like an "Evo for Splatoon" or maybe even a Capcom Pro Tour equivalent for Splatoon?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So how is competitive Splatoon? Is there even such a thing? Like an "Evo for Splatoon" or maybe even a Capcom Pro Tour equivalent for Splatoon?

It exists. The scene is pretty small though. Matches are very spectator friendly due to how the game's mechanics work, though. The team that has the map covered in their color typically has the advantage in a lot of cases.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1001750699598737408

June's new weapons have been announced!

Custom Dualie Squelchers: Splat Bombs and Ink Storm
Rapid Blaster Pro Deco: Splash Wall and Ink Armor
Undercover Sorella Brella: Splat Bombs and Baller
Carbon Roller Deco: Burst Bombs and Autobomb Launcher

Carbon Roller Deco is finally here! :supaburn::getin:

Rapid Blaster Pro Deco looks like an utter monster. And Custom Dualie Squelchers looks like a pretty strong kit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Custom Dualie Squelchers: Splat Bombs and Ink Storm

No Ink Armor, no sale. This is actually a pretty massive upgrade to the current Squelchers kit even without armor.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Rapid Blaster Pro Deco: Splash Wall and Ink Armor

Think I found my new least favorite kit to play against.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

No Ink Armor, no sale. This is actually a pretty massive upgrade to the current Squelchers kit even without armor.

Think I found my new least favorite kit to play against.

Mine is still a tie between every weapon with Sting Ray

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Finally a reason to play Dualie Squelchers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Canned Panda posted:

Finally a reason to play Dualie Squelchers!

They're my second most played kit and even without a useful sub and with a gimmick special, you're just an unkillable radius of area denial. Bombs are going to help them actually secure kills that just ran away previously, become even better at escaping dives by dropping a bomb before rolling, and I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where I'd rather have missiles over storm.