Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Also, I'm not trying to say that hardware trumps skill, but lovely hardware can and will hinder you a lot when it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

i like the implication that a 1080 is some bare minimum baby-tier graphics card and not the best you can buy short of a Titan

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Also, if everyone is experiencing FPS drops in firefights, then the playing field is level from a hardware perspective so your actual general FPS skill and PUBG specific skills will be what put you ahead of others.

I mean seriously, are people attempting to argue that an average person that plays games for 4 hours a week can be just as good as shroud who plays >40hrs a week, provided they have the same setup as him? Is this actually a thing being argued here?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 29, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why do we play this imperfect game?

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

cargohills posted:

i like the implication that a 1080 is some bare minimum baby-tier graphics card and not the best you can buy short of a Titan

I assumed they meant 1080p vs 1440p, rather than a gtx1080.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Star Man posted:

Why do we play this imperfect game?

Because Fortnite is terrible and TPP only.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

Because Fortnite is terrible and TPP only.

I play on TPP when I play solo PUBG :ohdear:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The original implication was that someone like Shroud is so good because they can afford the greatest hardware.

I mean, yes, he would be a lot worse if he had to play on an ascii-only terminal, so for some definition of "hardware makes the gamer" thats pretty true.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I've hacked my microwave in such a way that my food selections control my pubg character. anything less is an insult to real gaming.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Chard posted:

I've hacked my microwave in such a way that my food selections control my pubg character. anything less is an insult to real gaming.

I bet you still weren't able to turn off it's house-alerting beeps, though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

John DiFool posted:

Having consistently high frame rates is definitely an advantage. If your machine starts stuttering or dropping frames in a firefight then it becomes extremely difficult to retain accurate control over mouse movement and recoil compensation.

Dropping frames literally as the gunfire of CQB erupts (I'm not a programmer but that is what happens and I'm assuming they're related ) is the single biggest reason I'm back to playing more overwatch than PUBG. Love the game, just need an up to date PC to really love playing it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I have an i7 920 with a 1070 and 8gbs of slow as gently caress ram, and I've found since March/April my performance has been much better than it was in beta/early release.

I do have everything on low except for anti-aliasing, and it seems to run fine. The only stutters I get are when I manually cut a shadowplay clip, but that's probably because the clips are being sent to a HDD and not an SSD.

I also have my monitor overclocked to 96hz so that's where I'm trying to get my frames, and it's not consistent, but I haven't been as disappointed with performance considering my CPU crippling my GPU.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Penpal posted:

I have an i7 920 with a 1070...
If you aren't overclocking that thing you should be (they tended to overclock better than the other CPUs of that series) going from 2.66 to 3.6ghz should be pretty easy and might not even need extra volts.

You can also buy old 6 core xeon's (x5650, x5660, etc) that work with that motherboard for about $50 and they'll hit 4ghz no problems.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Fuzz1111 posted:

If you aren't overclocking that thing you should be (they tended to overclock better than the other CPUs of that series) going from 2.66 to 3.6ghz should be pretty easy and might not even need extra volts.

You can also buy old 6 core xeon's (x5650, x5660, etc) that work with that motherboard for about $50 and they'll hit 4ghz no problems.

Hahah, exactly, I've got mine pushed to 3.55 right now because it would lock up past 6. This thing is a beast, I've had it for 9 years, holy poo poo. And yeah, I have actually considered buying an old xeon, but haven't really felt the desire to for an extra 400 mhz. I'm probably going to be building a threadripper build next year because I'm starting to do more video work and I would like to be able to render at home.

I'm just happy to hit the 90~100 frames area tbh, but it is a bit disheartening to know my video card is being bottlenecked. Can't be helped, my 7970 died and I had to replace it.

e- If anyone has a korean 27-inch 1440p monitor, overclock that poo poo.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

RIP WBG

sorry u died

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

LE posted:

RIP WBG

sorry u died

Sum1 used a dragon ball, I’m back. Worst plot device ever.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
16 people in the whole map, and a wild two final circles ends in a beach bloodbath between everyone in the match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imqvz629oOo

Really sad that the leaderboards went down before this, I woulda loved to see the stats laid out for the match, with like, all of 4 teams haha

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Xenaero posted:

16 people in the whole map, and a wild two final circles ends in a beach bloodbath between everyone in the match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imqvz629oOo

Really sad that the leaderboards went down before this, I woulda loved to see the stats laid out for the match, with like, all of 4 teams haha

I like the crate landing in the blue.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
New patch with plenty of changes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1651012430540823147

Highlights
  • Increased frag grenade damage and effective range
  • Stun grenades’ blinding effects have been improved
  • Molotov cocktails now have new effects and their damage has been increased.
  • Reduced vertical and horizontal recoil of the SCAR-L
  • Decreased basic damage of the M24 from 88 to 79
  • M24 will no longer dropped in care package. It spawns in the world
  • To make the Vector a little easier to find, we’ve increased its spawn rate at the expense of the spawn rate of the UMP-9 (overall SMG spawn rate remains the same).
  • We’ve made some improvements to our network code to reduce network latency.
  • We’ve increased the speed at which the server transfers data about objects (items, doors, fences) to address the fact that sometimes items spawn in late after players parachute in.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
What's the M24 vs Kar98 damage look like?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Xenaero posted:

What's the M24 vs Kar98 damage look like?

Both oneshot helmet 2, neither oneshot helmet 3. Torso damage varies but who cares.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Good change regarding the m24, it's an upgrade over the k98 because of bullet velocity but otherwise it was one of the shittiest package options.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The M24 does a ton of damage with a bodyshot currently, dunno how the damage nerf will effect that. Seems like you'll just take whatever sniper you find and not really worry about it unless you're better at hitting headshots with one or the other.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
If they fix the late loot spawn for reals i will be pretty chuffed about this patch.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

M24 is still the best because of the way it sounds when silenced, unff

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Flea Bargain posted:

M24 is still the best because of the way it sounds when silenced, unff

Totally agree. A silencer is the best attachment for the M24. Also the M24 just generally operates faster than the KAR which makes it a joy to use.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
M4 is a better sniper than a K98

sry not sry

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I hope the items will really spawn faster, I love jumping hot and having weapon spawn after I land is infuriating

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Increased vector spawn :fap:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I forget, is the Vector on live as good as it was on the Sanhok test?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PunkBoy posted:

I forget, is the Vector on live as good as it was on the Sanhok test?

Yeah it shreds

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah it shreds

I guess it's Working As Intended then if they're increasing the spawn rate. Fine by me!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Once again PUBG corp left the minor patch note of 'Changed tick rate to 60' out of the changelog.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is that good or bad

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Party Plane Jones posted:

Once again PUBG corp left the minor patch note of 'Changed tick rate to 60' out of the changelog.

Wait.... is this for real?

hawowanlawow posted:

Is that good or bad

It used to be 20 iirc. So way way way better

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

"We’ve made some improvements to our network code to reduce network latency."

They didn't want to full on commit to saying 60 because who knows if this will be successful or help. But yea, it's a good thing.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I think Overwatch is still at like 20/30. That's pretty big considering its triple the server load

e-

https://twitter.com/BattleNonSense/status/1001873720686923777

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 30, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

WHAT

Do you have a source for that?

Edit: vvv Thanks!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 30, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/8n9o92/server_tick_rate_was_increased_to_60_hz_with/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

One of their devs left this comment:

quote:

This is what we were talking about when we wrote this in the patch notes:

We’ve made some improvements to our network code to reduce network latency.

Sure, maybe we could be tooting our own horns more about this, but we want to make sure it's working first. Also, it's unclear whether the improvement will be consistent for everyone, so we prefer to avoid hard number commitments. Better to stay humble and hungry for more improvements.

That being said, if you're experiencing massive improvements thanks to this and the other performance changes, do us a solid and make some noise about it with your friends, online communities, whatever.

Hell, leave us a Steam review. Just let us know your genuine feelings about the update.

:fap: