Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

dogstile posted:

I have a question that i'm actually having trouble working out.

I'm getting lots of "app default was reset spam", which I thought was being caused by a few of my apps being out of date. Updated them across the company, still happening, pdf viewer and browsers keep getting reset and now its just notified a user that its just swapped photo viewer to photo viewer.

Surprisingly little information about this online, anyone else experienced it?

Feature updates in Windows 10 do this all the time. A feature update just came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

For clarification: Microsoft will reset your user-defined default programs because gently caress you thats why. No you can't stop it and the current DISM release that you export default program settings from is broken.

Windows 10 is garbage now that MS has decided to tell people how to use it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fantastic, at least I know what i'm dealing with. I'll just teach a few key people at each site we have how to reset it and let knowledge spread from there. Luckily my users aren't opposed to writing things down and referencing them until its common knowledge.

Yes, i'm blessed. I know :v:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Please note it is only feature updates that cause this they are released about twice a year. You can also just not install them if you are using patch management until it's a good time. Check the list of new features if nothing seems useful don't approve it until you are nearing the point you'll need it to keep security updates, which should be 18 months.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Digital_Jesus posted:

For clarification: Microsoft will reset your user-defined default programs because gently caress you thats why. No you can't stop it and the current DISM release that you export default program settings from is broken.

Windows 10 is garbage now that MS has decided to tell people how to use it.

This and all the poo poo that they put on the start menu by default are two of my biggest Windows 10 pet peeves in the enterprise. If I image a machine with Win10 Pro, there's absolutely no goddamn reason that all that ad poo poo should appear on the start menu of an OS meant to be used in a place of work. Xbox poo poo, ads for games and other apps, all of that should not be there. What the gently caress is bubblewitch saga? Then to add insult to injury, they make it a pain in the rear end to customize the start menu.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Something something XML file you edit somewhere in there and then you customize the start menu. Perfectly obvious.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Something something XML file you edit somewhere in there and then you customize the start menu. Perfectly obvious.
Make sure there are no extra spaces or carriage returns in that XML file, though. If there are, it just won't do anything, and won't give you any error message or anything telling you why.

This makes me happier we use the LTSB.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We only use OEM Windows 10 Pro. No Ent licenses. I've spent a lot of time fixing Windows 10 for our corp by getting rid of the garbage. So of course 1803 upgrade via WSUS pushes OneDrive back down, loving assholes. Per user account too.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

GreenNight posted:

We only use OEM Windows 10 Pro. No Ent licenses. I've spent a lot of time fixing Windows 10 for our corp by getting rid of the garbage. So of course 1803 upgrade via WSUS pushes OneDrive back down, loving assholes. Per user account too.

Thats another thing I love about Win10...updates re-enabling a bunch of poo poo that you've disabled. The seemingly random taking-over of file associations is a cool feature too. Yep, I'd love to open my .pdf files in Edge.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Thats another thing I love about Win10...updates re-enabling a bunch of poo poo that you've disabled. The seemingly random taking-over of file associations is a cool feature too. Yep, I'd love to open my .pdf files in Edge.
Don't you want to open everything in Edge?

I wish I could get the LTSB for home. I at least managed to get the Win7 photo viewer working there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Don't you want to open everything in Edge?

I wish I could get the LTSB for home. I at least managed to get the Win7 photo viewer working there.

Opening PDFs in edge would be perfectly fine here if it wasn't a horrible piece of poo poo that printing from it caused HP M402n drivers to clog up. Nothing has ever jammed any 402n queue, except for edge garbage. Even printing a JPG from edge has caused the queue to become backed up, and the only way I've ever gotten it to recover is pressing cancel on the job, restarting spooler, canceling the job, and restarting spooling again. Everything else in the qeue prints.

Even our big office printer sometimes chokes on edge stuff though generally I can get the rogue file to go away, and maybe just reboot spooler once. While restarting spooler is quick, it does mean every printer on that print server is going to have 2-3 seconds of downtime.

I'd still be angry about it changing my defaults, but I could live with it and just give up and let them be the defaults, but nope they are a tire fire.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair I would blame HP along with Edge. HP just sucks anymore.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Be sure to check your printer supplier too, I've spent days on the phone with HP when Canon was to blame and the reverse. Edge isn't great but it's not even close to hardware suppliers in terms of shittiness

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Not really sure if this is the right thread, but I'm trying to get some info on field service management software, and not really sure where to turn.

Basically I manage a small construction company that needs to update our workflow processes from paper to digital in a bad way. There seems to be quite the umbrella of companies making software for "small business", but holy hell it seems to be either mostly snake oil, or barely functional UIs from the 80s. Since this is a small shop thread was wondering if any of you actually manage or run these kinds of platforms for small companies? I'm trying to sort out brands and it is truely hellish.

Or if there is a better thread to run this through let me know SH/SC is not a forum I go into much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

One of our subsidiaries recently evaluated a bunch of options and selected ViewPoint ( https://viewpoint.com/ )

I'm not involved in the implementation, but haven't heard any horror stories.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Avoid Sage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm trying to sort out brands and it is truely hellish.

I have no advice to give other than your mission is to find the least stinky piece of poo poo in the pile, good luck.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
All of the companies i've worked for have developed this poo poo in house, so I can't help, sorry!

Good luck trying to find the least lovely software. I'd note that just because the UI is old, doesn't mean the software is poo poo. Demo what you can, you might find that the lovely 80's UI program actually works perfectly for what you need.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

thebigcow posted:

Avoid Sage.

Seconding this.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Alternately, avoid one monolithic product for all your needs. Instead buy the right smaller, focused product for each process/department. Workday for your financials and possibly erp. Salesforce (I am about to be dogpiled) for crm. Suicide for your file sync and sharing.

If you can make the case for hiring good transition consultants for whatever platform you get, do so. Make sure they've got the academic credentials to back them up. There's nothing quite like watching someone with an advanced degree in industrial systems design and business process management cut through your users' bullshit like a planet-cracking laser and extract their actual needs and business process from the rubble.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 30, 2018

stevewm
May 10, 2005

thebigcow posted:

Avoid Sage.

Thirding this.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Come on, Sage [MAPI Error] is perfectly [Data Corruption Error] fine [Error Clr20r3]

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've actually never had a problem with it over the last 5 or so years, every problem was user error.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Alternately, avoid one monolithic product for all your needs. Instead buy the right smaller, focused product for each process/department. Workday for your financials and possibly erp. Salesforce (I am about to be dogpiled) for crm. Suicide for your file sync and sharing.

I'm starting to think this will be the way to go. We have such a vast set of needs, and there are a bunch of all-in-one platforms out there, but they seem universally dogshit. Our two big need areas are better invoicing/materials/inventory as one, and CRM as the other. The big thing I want with CRM is something that can have a customer facing portal to access inspection reports and work logs. Any pointers would go a long way as that seems harder to find than invoicing software.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I agree with "use smaller, more specific products." These days you can probably find stuff that integrates. Having one monolithic piece of software is nice from a simplicity standpoint, but you really do limit yourself and your workflows. I have done a lot of work in the legal field and we basically have the same problem with "case management software" or "practice management software." You end up with some super-niche product made by developers stuck in the 80s because they can't attract talent.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm starting to think this will be the way to go. We have such a vast set of needs, and there are a bunch of all-in-one platforms out there, but they seem universally dogshit. Our two big need areas are better invoicing/materials/inventory as one, and CRM as the other. The big thing I want with CRM is something that can have a customer facing portal to access inspection reports and work logs. Any pointers would go a long way as that seems harder to find than invoicing software.

Having been in that space for some of my days, look at Prolog. Haven't worked with a version newer than 2006, but it may serve your needs. Looks like Trimble bought it a few years ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's loads of really decent little products to take care of various aspects of business and customer management, but a huge amount of them are "what's SAML?" and it's annoying as gently caress

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

There's loads of really decent little products to take care of various aspects of business and customer management, but a huge amount of them are "what's SAML?" and it's annoying as gently caress

My experience has been "SAML is an enterprise feature and we need an extra couple thousand a month"

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
My last company did that, buy what fits our specific needs for this specific process. It was good, except we ended up with 20 different SaaS applications that did specific things well. Integration was a pain, and IT didn't have the staff for custom development (2 people, zero real programmers). Even things like managing logins was a hassle.

This was very manageable when the company was under 100 people. When it was 300, it was a bigger hassle.

If you go that route and can find trusted "power users" (sorry for using that term) who can manage specifics (access, credentials) in the applications, that can work. Just be sure there is a documented process for when someone needs to get access so they don't pile onto you because "IT should be doing all of this anyway."

Good luck!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh yeah the SaaS apps that don't let you have logins for admin purposes only and want you to pay for a full seat or have your regular users run as full application admins can take their place up against the wall as well.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh yeah the SaaS apps that don't let you have logins for admin purposes only and want you to pay for a full seat or have your regular users run as full application admins can take their place up against the wall as well.

More fun is when they advertise the cost of user accounts, say that setting up a new company is free but you can't actually add any users without an "IT account" and IT accounts are 10-100 times the cost of a user account, so you end up with a shared IT account with the name of someone who left the company 5 years ago.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

thebigcow posted:

Avoid Sage.

Too bad they keep buying everyone else :(

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I've got my head on a bit better and the first hurdle I want to tackle is CRM stuff so that I can keep all my accounts in better order. Any good recommends besides salesforce? Again from a pretty small business perspective.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Hey guys, I’m back!

For those who may not remember, I’m helping my friend’s dad/client w his pursuit of a new server. The previous estimates seemed really high, and now I’m convinced that they are.

The current server is running Small Businesss Server 2011 Essentials w SP1.

The specs are an AMD Athlon II Neo N36L, 8GB RAM, 2X 250GB HDDs. The software is just server editions of tax software. Are there any pre-fab options that would work? Would a home-build be adequate?

I have no server experience so I would appreciate any and all advice!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

The specs are an AMD Athlon II Neo N36L, 8GB RAM, 2X 250GB HDDs. The software is just server editions of tax software. Are there any pre-fab options that would work? Would a home-build be adequate?
Never home brew a server, you’re only asking for pain. Buy something with redundancy (power supplies, disks) and a support contract/warranty.

You could easily do everything you want to do on a low-mid range Lenovo SystemX or Cisco C series.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah just running Tax software though? That could be anything really. I dunno why people are so averse to building a server box for a small operation. I use Asrock Rack motherboards, seasonic PSUs. Enterprise HDs, ECC RAM. Not hard whatsoever. Never had a failure or even so much as a call about something breaking.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dell T30 with a xeon is a sensible upgrade to a hp microserver. Little bigger but not using a laptop cpu like the microserver does.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redeyes posted:

I dunno why people are so averse to building a server box for a small operation.

Liability. I'd never build a PC for any company I work for. You end up being support after you leave, and any problems are instantly your fault. God forbid the thing fails.

When you buy a server you get a warranty, you can probably sell the company on extended warranties and what not too if you are the IT guy and buying the server. "This has everything on it, you don't want to be sourcing spare parts on your own, have to pay overnight shipping on then after the failure, and all this takes 3-4 days while you are doing nothing" A server warranty generally has a next day on site, or even 3 hour mission critical option. The next day tends to be pretty reasonably priced too.

You could be the hero that saved the company $200 on a $2000 server, or be the guy that made a slow or broken piece of junk for cheap and didn't know what they were doing. It all depends on if the server dies before they expect it to, which I find small businesses think a server should last 10+ years.

Also never buy direct, always contact someone, even Dell. You can get a discount and they'll talk about what specs you need. Now if they suddenly want 5 additional pieces of software running on the server that you didn't plan for because no one mentioned them, you can bring up that you spoke with Dell about the software packages and tailored the server to the expected workload. Saying you did research and came up with the same specs could easily wind up them blaming you for "not planning for growth".

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

You could be the hero that saved the company $200 on a $2000 server, or be the guy that made a slow or broken piece of junk for cheap and didn't know what they were doing. It all depends on if the server dies before they expect it to, which I find small businesses think a server should last 10+ years.

There's a difference in the initial target audience for each of these. The latter case hits support people more until it later escalates into an issue to the former.

Like someone deciding (nonclustered) machines don't need failover power supplies, dual NICs, disk RAID or a license for OOB console features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

Liability. I'd never build a PC for any company I work for. You end up being support after you leave, and any problems are instantly your fault. God forbid the thing fails.

When you buy a server you get a warranty, you can probably sell the company on extended warranties and what not too if you are the IT guy and buying the server. "This has everything on it, you don't want to be sourcing spare parts on your own, have to pay overnight shipping on then after the failure, and all this takes 3-4 days while you are doing nothing" A server warranty generally has a next day on site, or even 3 hour mission critical option. The next day tends to be pretty reasonably priced too.

Also never buy direct, always contact someone, even Dell. You can get a discount and they'll talk about what specs you need. Now if they suddenly want 5 additional pieces of software running on the server that you didn't plan for because no one mentioned them, you can bring up that you spoke with Dell about the software packages and tailored the server to the expected workload. Saying you did research and came up with the same specs could easily wind up them blaming you for "not planning for growth".

Key word, 'small operation'. Im curious though, what kind of server couldn't run a few extra software packages? I honestly can't even think of a scenario other than not having enough storage space or an older OS.