Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Naylenas posted:

FBI gonna raid Oleg's hotel room and use his one time pad to translate the message

It was chemically concealed. Gonna take some doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've been rewatching the series on Prime for the finale and I completely forgot about this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZZywre61X4

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Accretionist posted:

I've been rewatching the series on Prime for the finale and I completely forgot about this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZZywre61X4

You know, if you use the back arrow to rewind it at the very beginning, you can get a pretty good beat out of that guy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A family walks into a talent agency. It's a father, mother, son, daughter and an assortment of friends. The father says to the talent agent, "We have a really amazing act. You should represent us." The agent says, "Sorry, I don't represent family acts. They're a little too cute." The mother says, "Sir, if you just see our act, we know you would want to represent us." The agent says, "OK. OK. I'll take a look."

At this, the mom and dad call in one of the women accompanying them. The two of them kill her in front of the agent and then stuff her body in a suitcase. They call in another friend, whom they kill, then chop off his head and hands. As they do all this, the father calls in a 17 year old and another woman his age, both of whom he fucks in front of the agent at the same time. Meanwhile, the daughter calls in a priest and converts to Christianity right in front of their eyes. As all this is happening, the son takes a photo of the agent's wife from his desk and starts masturbating all over it. Frustrated, the agent himself gets in on the act and starts chasing them around the room until they all stop.

For the longest time, the agent just sits in silence. Finally, he manages, "That's a hell of an act. What do you call it?"

And the father says, "The Americans!"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

A family walks into a talent agency. It's a father, mother, son, daughter and an assortment of friends. The father says to the talent agent, "We have a really amazing act. You should represent us." The agent says, "Sorry, I don't represent family acts. They're a little too cute." The mother says, "Sir, if you just see our act, we know you would want to represent us." The agent says, "OK. OK. I'll take a look."

At this, the mom and dad call in one of the women accompanying them. The two of them kill her in front of the agent and then stuff her body in a suitcase. They call in another friend, whom they kill, then chop off his head and hands. As they do all this, the father calls in a 17 year old and another woman his age, both of whom he fucks in front of the agent at the same time. Meanwhile, the daughter calls in a priest and converts to Christianity right in front of their eyes. As all this is happening, the son takes a photo of the agent's wife from his desk and starts masturbating all over it. Frustrated, the agent himself gets in on the act and starts chasing them around the room until they all stop.

For the longest time, the agent just sits in silence. Finally, he manages, "That's a hell of an act. What do you call it?"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Argue posted:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Argue posted:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Rewatch Commentary: I'd forgotten how uncomfortable the Kimmie scenes were, god drat.

Argue posted:

Owns.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I kinda wanted to see what happened if they were still in the US during the collapse of the USSR...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
wow, this is how it ends?!

Matthew Rhys directs Noah Emmerich during a scene from episode 2 of this season. Or Phillip is just infiltrating the FBI via a guided tour from Stan. Still looks weird though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, so this is where all your interesting FBI stuff happens? Oh, is this the computer you use to track all those Russian spies? Oh shoot, I spilled my coffee. Sorry, I'm just a travel agent, I don't know what I'm doing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Stan, Henry and Mail Robot.

Dear god, let them be okay

Edit:

Rewatch Commentary: I forgot how much of an idiot Paige was. Going to church really hosed her up.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 29, 2018

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Stan never does figure out who the illegals are. The last scene is him showing up with a 6-pack and helping Philip and Henry bond over a game of Strat-o-Matic.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
It makes me very sad to realize the finale starts in 24 hours. The final countdown is on.

I think Stan ends up adopting Henry after Philip and Liz die in a climactic shoot out where the 2 of them refused to abandon the other. Perhaps said shoot out happens at the US-Canadian boarder with Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark's "If You Leave" for the background music. Paige plays dumb and says she had no idea her parents were spies. Oleg is traded back to the Soviet Union for another spy, but he lives in disgrace. The final shot is Renee receiving instructions from Claudia about how to evaluate Henry as a potential spy recruit.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 30, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One thing I've always been curious about in this show is the cars.

I guess somewhere there is a warehouse full of vehicles from the various decades and they just rent out for shooting?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Random thoughts from the penultimate episode

1. Why did Stan offer Philip the loan to bail out the travel agency? Was it some sort of test? He clearly thinks the Jennings are the illegals he’s been looking for. I could see Stan thinking “he didn’t take the money so he must have a secret source of funding.” Or maybe Stan really did offer the loan as a friend in the hopes that his gut feeling his best friend is actually his enemy is wrong.

2. Tatiana‘s fate does actually jive (or at least to me) with what we’ve seen of her. She’s risked a lot with her schemes in this show. Now to get back on her original career path she accepts a job that was probably above her pay grade. The fact that Elizabeth had no idea who she was also helped with depicting her isolation from the rest of the KGB (being an illegal and all she’s had next to no contact with the Residentura). I agree it could have been sett up better but I’m not sure how. This has been a tightly packed season and I don’t really see much more room for scenes with Tatiana.

3. I hope Oleg doesn’t get scapegoated for the failed hit on negotiator and Tatiana‘s death in the line of duty.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

LaptopGun posted:

1. Why did Stan offer Philip the loan to bail out the travel agency? Was it some sort of test? He clearly thinks the Jennings are the illegals he’s been looking for. I could see Stan thinking “he didn’t take the money so he must have a secret source of funding.” Or maybe Stan really did offer the loan as a friend in the hopes that his gut feeling his best friend is actually his enemy is wrong.

I sincerely think Stan's read is "my friend was dragged into this by Elizabeth", and that's why his investigation leans on her so hard. He legitimately finds Philip to be a good friend and it may be the lone thing blinding him to some truths.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

LaptopGun posted:

3. I hope Oleg doesn’t get scapegoated for the failed hit on negotiator and Tatiana‘s death in the line of duty.

Holy poo poo if he does, you think Stan could flip him?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Vakal posted:

I guess somewhere there is a warehouse full of vehicles from the various decades and they just rent out for shooting?

Yes. My brother-in-law worked for a company called Movie Cars or something like that. They had a bunch of cars plus a few sources to get others as needed. They worked a lot of the movies and TV shows like Law and Order and stuff filmed around NYC. They once cut a truck in half and fit it inside the one of the soap opera sound stages to film a crash.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Vakal posted:

They film a lot of stuff in and around Pittsburgh and not only do they put out casting calls for extras they will often ask for certain eras/types of cars.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
1-877-Kars-4-Kids
K-A-R-S Kars For Kids
1-877-Kars-4-Kids
Donate your car today

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

It makes me very sad to realize the finale starts in 24 hours. The final countdown is on.

I think Stan ends up adopting Henry after Philip and Liz die in a climactic shoot out where the 2 of them refused to abandon the other. Perhaps said shoot out happens at the US-Canadian boarder with Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark's "If You Leave" for the background music. Paige plays dumb and says she had no idea her parents were spies. Oleg is traded back to the Soviet Union for another spy, but he lives in disgrace. The final shot is Renee receiving instructions from Claudia about how to evaluate Henry as a potential spy recruit.

All scored to Sting's "Russians" to seriously get us all :gonk:ing.

Evidently they've only used it so far in the Season 2 promo.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 30, 2018

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have legit money on Peter Gabriel playing us out one last time.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

END ME SCOOB posted:

I have legit money on Peter Gabriel playing us out one last time.

We do what we're told
We do what we're told
We do what we're told to do

(Stan shoots Elizabeth, Philip shoots Stan, FBI agents shoot Philip)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LaptopGun posted:

2. Tatiana‘s fate does actually jive (or at least to me) with what we’ve seen of her. She’s risked a lot with her schemes in this show. Now to get back on her original career path she accepts a job that was probably above her pay grade. The fact that Elizabeth had no idea who she was also helped with depicting her isolation from the rest of the KGB (being an illegal and all she’s had next to no contact with the Residentura). I agree it could have been sett up better but I’m not sure how. This has been a tightly packed season and I don’t really see much more room for scenes with Tatiana.

For 1, I was thinking it’s a “keep my enemies close” type of thing. Stan offers to help out as a ploy to make Phillip keep thinking nothing was wrong. After all why would you suspect someone who thinks of you well enough to loan you however much money suspects you’re a secret spy?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Of course, you could be reading way too into it, and Philip might be so in the hole that he knows Stan's GS salary or fraction of his savings won't cover what he needs to make up.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That offer doesn't necessarily have to have a lot of meaning behind it. In Stan's eyes, his idea of the Jennings family being spies is still fairly crazy, and even if it wasn't crazy, there still a chance that his good friend is in trouble. So he wants to help his good friend.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

1-877-Kars-4-Kids
K-A-R-S Kars For Kids
1-877-Kars-4-Kids
Donate your car today

Oh gently caress you

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’m looking forward to a sick music montage at some point during tonight’s show, that’s for sure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i hope against all hopes they close it out with Tusk

Literally the only thing I want out of the finale. I'll be happy with whatever they give me otherwise.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LaptopGun posted:

I think it's just evidence of him being deeply conflicted. I don't know that it was meant to be any more than a way to show that Stan still actually cares about the Jennings' even in spite of what he knows

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I'm calling Stan's wife Renee in having some sort of roll in the demise of the Jennings. Her role and quick insertion in the FBI has been too sudden not to. What's the over/under on hearing a U2 song tonight? Specifically something off the Joshua Tree album?

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

My fingers are crossed for a shot by shot recreation of Life During Wartime

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo it's all over tonight.

I'll be running my D&D (well, technically Godbound - still, an RPG) game tonight, so won't be able to watch it live. I am hoping for payoff, is all I can say!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm calling Stan's wife Renee in having some sort of roll in the demise of the Jennings. Her role and quick insertion in the FBI has been too sudden not to. What's the over/under on hearing a U2 song tonight? Specifically something off the Joshua Tree album?

I feel like her quick insertion is going to lead to their way out of all of this somehow.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I want to see the natural evolution of existing plot points, not hamfisted twists. She's been established as just a normal woman. Let her be that. The last two seasons have been bad enough without screwing up a sure thing finale, too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If Phil goes back to Russia, to Martha? I will laugh so hard that I may tear something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Accretionist posted:

If Phil goes back to Russia, to Martha? I will laugh so hard that I may tear something.

I think this is the single outcome that could sour me on the whole show lmfao so I hope not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Accretionist posted:

Same but it's Elizabeth who survives instead. They can be neighbors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

likelihood of death, in order (imo):

1. philip
2. elizabeth
3. oleg
4. stan
5. paige

• Locked thread