Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

Should have gone Mighty Gym Sock full of Blooded Bronze Nickles.

Enkidel invents the cosh.

Also now we've got parchment, we could invent the MillwallKavodel Brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Uriah getting to Tudiya levels of power and actually being willing/able to interpret what the hell he thinks is going on would be amazing. This is like, a taste of what could be.

So he intuits how to use the tool, and uses it superhumanly, but the spear is just a spear because he isn't touching it? When he throws the spear, he's throwing it superhumanly, and his super human oomph is more than the super human assist on a normal spear? Something like that? So then the bow and arrow works because we're touching both the bow and the arrow?

Ask Uriah why he thinks a bow and arrow "works" and the atlatl doesn't. Is it because we're touching both the bow and the arrow and using them together?
Actually gently caress it bring the scenario up with Tudiya. Ask if he has any thoughts on atlatl vs bow and arrow and why the former doesn't work while the latter does.
Yes to both of these. We can ask Uriah to ask Tudiya if we're worried it might look suspicious.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

+1 to asking Tuds about his thoughts on the matter.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It's interesting that Uriah also has some senses or experiences that don't translate well to language.

Diog, can we ask Uriah to try and harden the projectile he's attempting to use with the atlatl thing we made? I'm willing to bet that he can't because it isn't in contact with him, and that using stuff like blooded hardening and other supernatural powers depends on being in physical contact with the object because they are extending their self into the object to change it.

MF_James posted:

We should let Uriah fire our bow, not just any bow and see how he feels about it and does with it.

I'm going to laugh when we try this and find that Uriah can't even draw the string because that's how insane our strength is.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hey, critical theology question I'm drawing a blank on, what happened to Labaras? Where'd he go? I feel vaguely like he eventually climbed the Mountain but now that I think on it I can't actually remember that being explicitly stated, or his reason for doing so.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crazycryodude posted:

Hey, critical theology question I'm drawing a blank on, what happened to Labaras? Where'd he go? I feel vaguely like he eventually climbed the Mountain but now that I think on it I can't actually remember that being explicitly stated, or his reason for doing so.

Pretty sure he was all: "My work here is done. I'm out! Peace!" And went back up to party with El for the rest of forever.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also while we're on theology, just to confirm, it's a Serious Religious Crime and/or Sin to depict El in any way, but also to convey the name of El in any form of writing, EVER. Just stick to the off panel binding light of glory, correct?

What about depictions of Mount Har?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Also while we're on theology, just to confirm, it's a Serious Religious Crime and/or Sin to depict El in any way, but also to convey the name of El in any form of writing, EVER. Just stick to the off panel binding light of glory, correct?

What about depictions of Mount Har?

Har is fine. It’s the symbol of the house of El.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Not really related, but sin seems to be restricted to major willful fuckups of a religious nature, or maybe doing something accidentally moronic like incorrectly burying human remains, right? Or pulling a Gomorrah? Definitely NOT in any way like modern dogmatic stuff, or that's the vibe I get.

There's sin offerings and stuff so sin is a thing in Ur, but what is our understanding of it? I get the sense of "this isn't just a crime, but an extremely bad offence against religion, or possibly profoundly bad against society."

So like, eating people, desecration of a temple even by accident, worshipping anything that's not El (especially demons), breaking laws of El even by accident maybe, etc.

There's an obvious difference between being a terrible hosed up person and sinning. You could be insanely cruel and that's bad but not necessarily a sin?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TK-42-1 posted:

Is Har usually depicted mostly as a huge mountain with clouds, huge mountain with El-rays, or both? Neither?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://killsixbilliondemons.com

Kill Six Billion Demons posted:

“Know this, thou sinners all: we are the eternal servants of God called YISUN, who were forged by him, and from his fiery breath were we given life. Our flesh is smokeless fire, and our eyes are set upon the rim of a wheel which encircles the world. Swords will turn against our skin. We need not steeds, for we do not tire. We need not chariots, for our limbs can smash a cart into splinters with the greatest of ease. We have one ship, which we call Wind of Besh. It was made for us by God, called YISUN, and it has ten thousand portholes through which we may rain death upon you. Our bows are strung with dragon sinew, and our arrows can not miss their targets.

If thou harbour’st the slightest stain of evil within thy heart, we will know; thy breast shall be torn open, thy skull shall be ripped from thy spine, and we will feed thy fetid corpse to the crocodile god. This is my decree.”
Today's comic quote made me think of all of you.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is Har usually depicted mostly as a huge mountain with clouds, huge mountain with El-rays, or both? Neither?

I think it’s just a basic /\ shape. The house of el has a square around it or something like that. Maybe the earth symbol from stargate. I’m phone posting so I can’t look it up but it’s somewhere in that wheelhouse. It’s just El proper that can’t be written or shown.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

https://killsixbilliondemons.com

Today's comic quote made me think of all of you.

I really don’t know how Abaddon has the time to not only write the comic and draw it, but also write all the weird rear end scripture along with it. It truly is something amazing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheCog posted:

He's told us not to eat magical items.

He's told us it's wasteful to do so. He's also said we can do whatever we want with magic items.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

the_steve posted:

This is going to lead to the revelation that "normal" Blooded people have SpearTime or something similar and get to regularly enjoy it's effects while we get in trouble for asking about Arrow Time.

Well they kinda do- Diog iirc said that when Mighty Men fight they use brief surges in their strength or reflexes to strike/dodge blows at the opportune time (I don’t recall how he worded it exactly, but that was the gist)

Whereas our strength/reflexes are ‘less’, but unlike theirs, constantly on

MightyTime

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TK-42-1 posted:

I really don’t know how Abaddon has the time to not only write the comic and draw it, but also write all the weird rear end scripture along with it. It truly is something amazing.

I dunno when diog made gebek scream in rage about tearing the stars out of the sky, did he bullshit it up or poach it fringe some secret ancient tome?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder what would have happened if we'd eaten Snarls instead of the flute. Would he be dead, or would he be inside us?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

TK-42-1 posted:

With a pair of gates, yes.

Olothreutes posted:

Diog, can we ask Uriah to try and harden the projectile he's attempting to use with the atlatl thing we made?
You could, but we aren't directing further Capybara processing power away from the update for side experimentation unless people want that.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Diog - Try to telekinetically move the red cedar club
See the above. We appreciate people want to do other stuff, but we think we should focus on completign the update, aside from answering a few questions.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Ask Uriah why he thinks a bow and arrow "works" and the atlatl doesn't. Is it because we're touching both the bow and the arrow and using them together?
Actually gently caress it bring the scenario up with Tudiya. Ask if he has any thoughts on atlatl vs bow and arrow and why the former doesn't work while the latter does.
Uriah says "I don't know."

When you later ask him, Tudiya says "Your toy-" Zepathans dont use spear throwers, though he is apparently aware of them, you are also, they exist in Ur they just don't see use in this part of Ur "-is not a real weapon. Such a thing is not fit for use as such."

the_steve posted:

Out of curiosity, how did it fare when Enkidel tried using it?
Worse then when Uriah did. Poorly for both of you.

Schwza posted:

How good are the archers in the Kavodelian militia? Enkidel is probably without peer anywhere but Seir but how does the common to slightly blooded do? 50-100 yard bullseyes? Can they reliably use the tactics that Paebel was trying to teach them?
As good as a city of trained archers in a city whose national sport is archery would, if that city was also as a baseline minorly Blooded and had a number of quite Blooded families in it. If you want a metric, that is One Kavodel Archery Skill Unit. Or one KASU.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Diog - are we building the wall around Kavodel at it's current size, or leaving room for future growth?
It accounts for some future growth. There won't be sprawling farmland within it, or well, any really, but you've set aside room for future buildings.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Are Slings a thing in Ur?
Yes.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ask Adina what he did with that Blooded Scalpel of his, the super-sharp knife he made. Maybe Lefkandi could find a use for it? Or we could use it when crafting things artistically.
"It is in my shed somewhere." As to the rest, see the post above about not exploring side ideas while we are still working on the main event.

gnarl posted:

That does make me wonder if Ishamal sleeps. Diog, can we ask Ishamal if he sleeps or needs to sleep?
Ishamal looks at you as if you are kidding and then says, not sure if you are or not "Yes, of course I sleep." His tone seemed to imply he either thinks you are kidding, or a fool for asking such a question.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Presented without comment, aside from the fact I got tweaked because they got Og's height wrong then remembered its not our Og.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder what would have happened if we'd eaten Asahel instead of the flute. Would he be dead, or would he be inside us?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Diogines posted:

Uriah says "I don't know."

When you later ask him, Tudiya says "Your toy-" Zepathans dont use spear throwers, though he is apparently aware of them, you are also, they exist in Ur they just don't see use in this part of Ur "-is not a real weapon. Such a thing is not fit for use as such."

:saddowns: Why is this thing worse?
:geno: Because it is.

It was worth a shot I guess :shrug:

Diog's explanation about coordination and stuff seems slightly different from Uriah's concept of not being able to feel the spear, but alas we'll either have to wait until Uriah gets even better or until we finally get to sit down with someone while they get taught how their blooded powers work.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I assume the melachim would get testy if we swallowed one of their own. Our magic dog they might let pass.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Diogines posted:

Ishamal looks at you as if you are kidding and then says, not sure if you are or not "Yes, of course I sleep." His tone seemed to imply he either thinks you are kidding, or a fool for asking such a question.

Ishamal, as you know, I need much less sleep than I did when I was younger, it seems I need less as I grow in power. Since you are old and obviously powerful, why did it surprise you that I might question whether or not you need to sleep?

Is it because you're an arrogant douchenickel that lacks empathy for basic human curiousity?

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 30, 2018

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Whoops double post

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Ishamal, as you know, I need much less sleep than I did when I was younger, it seems I need less as I grow in power. Since you are old and obviously powerful, why did it surprise you that I might question whether or not you need to sleep?

Is it because you're an arrogant douchenickel that lacks empathy for basic human curiousity?
He says "Because everyone else you know, needs sleep and you are an oddity in that regard. And as I said, you need sleep as well. Go without it for too long and there will be problems. You should still sleep."

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Diogines posted:

He says "Because everyone else you know, needs sleep and you are an oddity in that regard. And as I said, you need sleep as well. Go without it for too long and there will be problems. You should still sleep."

Thank you, this is true and i have followed your advice. As you mentioned, I am an "oddity" and perhaps i thought I may have more in common with you than those around me because of that? Are you saying that you and I are not the same type of "oddity"?

You donkey.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do we have an agreement with Chait not to let anyone else use our bow?

Yes. Also to see it disposed of in some fashion that won't lead to its use if we no longer want it / die / turn into Asherah Mk2.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Thank you, this is true and i have followed your advice. As you mentioned, I am an "oddity" and perhaps i thought I may have more in common with you than those around me because of that? Are you saying that you and I are not the same type of "oddity"?

You donkey.

Yes, ishamal has said this many times. This is littearlly a question he has answered.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Diogines posted:

"Father, it is not so much the utility itself that I seek to understand, but more the why. Uriah explained that when wielding a spear, he could feel it, guide it, and with this device, he could not. He has little problem with a bow and arrow, which too is two items working together as one in the hands of a warrior. You know I feel things differently than you do sometimes, and you are wiser than I could hope to be, that I am as a fumbling child to you, grasping for answers in the dark, but it is that wisdom and understanding I seek from you now."

eh, or something to that effect. Asking for his deeper thoughts on the matter and explaining what Uriah explained to us. I'm not feeling as flowery with my prose today as I ordinarily would.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 30, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I assume the melachim would get testy if we swallowed one of their own. Our magic dog they might let pass.

There's a shitload if melachim. They probably wouldn't even notice one less.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Diogines posted:

I wonder how hard Ish and Tuds facepalmed when they realized what kind of hornets' nest we poked with a stick when we went south.

Also, I think we should try making a sweet bigass Bar Mace. Of Doom. +18.

Hell, El likes Eagles right? Lets make a battle version of this, but with 18nrods instead of 13.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 30, 2018

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Magnusth posted:

Yes, ishamal has said this many times. This is littearlly a question he has answered.

Well poo poo, I musta missed three words of a useless answer 2000 pages back. I would be shocked if he actually gave a conclusive answer though.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Hey, on the subject of weaponschat, I had a passing thought. It might have already come up earlier, but what the hey.

So as we know, guns exist in Ur. As we also know, guns aren't terribly useful to the Blooded because they rely on chemical power, which is inferior to the muscle power of very Blooded men like ourselves, and there's no way to convert our muscle power into firepower.

But what about crossbows? The whole point of a crossbow is that it allows you to "store" accumulated muscle power, giving it greater draw weight than a comparable bow. Sure, a normal crossbow would probably snap under the weight of the pressures that a Blooded man can put on it, but we know it's possible to make legendary bows out of exotic ingredients like dragon bone and giant sinew and whatnot. If we learn how to make such things for ourselves, could we not apply that same knowledge to crossbows, giving us a weapon capable of storing up even Blooded muscle power into a single deadly package? We could potentially create a weapon capable of railgunning on demand without the need for ??? expenditure or a handy bit of masonry around. It'd be overkill for most of the things we face, but it'd be potentially a powerful weapon against the truly deadly threats - and one they're not likely to expect.

It might be worth applying that kind of thinking to other parts of Urian technology, too. We keep trying to introduce "modern" technology into Ur, but the fact is that most modern technology was created to surpass muscle power. When we DO have Blooded muscle power available, we should be thinking up techniques to harness that particular, unique resource. For instance, something like a giant spinning wheel with a foot paddle could allow a Blooded man to function as a one-man mill, and if we ever develop electricity, it'll take a while for steam generators to be more efficient than a Blooded man turning a crank. The question should always be this: How do we convert the incredible muscle power of the Blooded into useful energy?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tomn posted:

How do we convert the incredible muscle power of the Blooded into useful energy?

This is why I've been waiting this whole time to see how long it takes Lefkandi to invent a Velocipede

Kavodel circa: 20-100 years from now

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Well poo poo, I musta missed three words of a useless answer 2000 pages back. I would be shocked if he actually gave a conclusive answer though.

He has repeatedly confirmed that he is not the same thing as Enkidel.

Incidentally you could just use the archiver to search Diog's posts for what you want instead of being a dick to an NPC.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

"I was not saying that, but it is so, my parents were human."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tomn posted:

Hey, on the subject of weaponschat, I had a passing thought. It might have already come up earlier, but what the hey.

So as we know, guns exist in Ur. As we also know, guns aren't terribly useful to the Blooded because they rely on chemical power, which is inferior to the muscle power of very Blooded men like ourselves, and there's no way to convert our muscle power into firepower.

But what about crossbows? The whole point of a crossbow is that it allows you to "store" accumulated muscle power, giving it greater draw weight than a comparable bow. Sure, a normal crossbow would probably snap under the weight of the pressures that a Blooded man can put on it, but we know it's possible to make legendary bows out of exotic ingredients like dragon bone and giant sinew and whatnot. If we learn how to make such things for ourselves, could we not apply that same knowledge to crossbows, giving us a weapon capable of storing up even Blooded muscle power into a single deadly package? We could potentially create a weapon capable of railgunning on demand without the need for ??? expenditure or a handy bit of masonry around. It'd be overkill for most of the things we face, but it'd be potentially a powerful weapon against the truly deadly threats - and one they're not likely to expect.

It might be worth applying that kind of thinking to other parts of Urian technology, too. We keep trying to introduce "modern" technology into Ur, but the fact is that most modern technology was created to surpass muscle power. When we DO have Blooded muscle power available, we should be thinking up techniques to harness that particular, unique resource. For instance, something like a giant spinning wheel with a foot paddle could allow a Blooded man to function as a one-man mill, and if we ever develop electricity, it'll take a while for steam generators to be more efficient than a Blooded man turning a crank. The question should always be this: How do we convert the incredible muscle power of the Blooded into useful energy?
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ish, are you secretly Labaras?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Without looking, I'm going to guess this is the "Superman: A Transitional Power Source" comic and I KNEW someone was going to bring that up. I was tempted to do so myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tomn posted:

I actually want to revisit the crossbow too. It's not useful for blooded men who can pull more than the bow could take, but unblooded men could use it as an equalizer as it provides more power than a conventional bow.

Diogenes, did we ever try shooting at bnaimokt armour with a crossbow? Maybe with a blooded bronze arrow?

A massed rank of bnaimokt could get bloodied by an otherwise outclassed force of common men.