Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I dry aged a bunch of bone-in ribeye (following the serious eats guide), then sous vide for 90m at 53*C, then sear in a cast iron while torching (also as per the Serious Eats recommendation) and I'm drat proud of how it came out:

The 7lb of ribeye I started with ending up feeding 6 over 2 meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Mentioned I bought a sous vide elsewhere recently and had a guy post that it was unsafe, something about "petrochemicals". It's pretty much ringing my bullshit detector(Chemicals,toxins,yadda yadda) but I'm still curious. Is this a common debate?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does he not believe in food-safe plastic?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Mentioned I bought a sous vide elsewhere recently and had a guy post that it was unsafe, something about "petrochemicals". It's pretty much ringing my bullshit detector(Chemicals,toxins,yadda yadda) but I'm still curious. Is this a common debate?

People have extensively tested and investigated this. In general, quality food-safe bags pose an absolutely negligible risk at SV temps.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Unless he works in the petrochemicals/similar industry, the fact that he said "petrochemicals" alone is a red flag. Food-safe materials are regulated pretty thoroughly in general, I can't imagie "vacuum bag for foods that poisons you at 85 Celsius" would ever get into retail.

If you check the temperature range for food-safe plastic bags and stick to it, you should be fine. Buy known brands to be on the safe side.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Anything marketed today as a sous vide bag will be made from HDPE, LDPE, or polypropylene. Most plastic wrap and storage bags are also made from one of these plastics. These are well-studied and there's no reason to believe they're anything other than safe.

Some food service storage containers, bags, and wraps are made out of cheaper PVC. PVC is known to leach phthalates (specifically DEHP, a plasticising agent) under certain circumstances, and heating is known to accelerate this. DEHP is believed to be an endocrine disruptor. The actual health consequences of using PVC for something like s-v aren't really known, but there's enough legitimate room for concern here that it isn't just woo. If you're concerned about this, check the kind of plastic you're using. If the specific plastic isn't named, look to see if it's listed as microwave safe. If it is, it isn't PVC.

The other main kinda-sorta legit concern is with polycarbonate. It is commonly used in hard plastic containers (like large Cambros). Food-safe polycarbonate containers still contain BPA. BPA is a whole kettle of fish, but concerns about it aren't in the same category of woo as generic OMG chemicals poo poo. That said, the only place you're likely to use polycarbonate in s-v cooking is as a container, and so won't come into direct contact with food. Its solubility in water is also low, so even if you wanted to postulate transfer from container > water bath > s-v bag > food the risk would still (as far as I know) be de minimis.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Related, I’ve been thinking about freezing pasta sauce in vacuum sealed packs and then reheating them in the pasta water as it boils. How likely am I to end up with a mess? Assume I clip it to the side so it doesn’t melt on the hot bottom of the pot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Related, I’ve been thinking about freezing pasta sauce in vacuum sealed packs and then reheating them in the pasta water as it boils. How likely am I to end up with a mess? Assume I clip it to the side so it doesn’t melt on the hot bottom of the pot.

You don't need to clip it to the side, boil-in-bag works the same way. You might make a mess of sealing a liquid sauce. My father-in-law often cooks big batches of bolognese. He fills plastic boxes with lids, then seals those.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

You don't need to clip it to the side, boil-in-bag works the same way. You might make a mess of sealing a liquid sauce. My father-in-law often cooks big batches of bolognese. He fills plastic boxes with lids, then seals those.

I’ve had success sealing bolognese via an early stop, and my sauces tend to be thick, so I think I’ll be OK there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I freeze my tomato sauce and bolognese in thick freezer ziplocs and haven't had any trouble yet. I keep them in the freezer for 3-4 months.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sorry, I mean with the reheating plan. Basically holding foodsavered bags at boiling for ten minutes or so.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Use the circulator to reheat water to below boiling and thaw out the bag and then dump it into a pot? Alternatively dethaw in fridge night before...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I mean with the reheating plan. Basically holding foodsavered bags at boiling for ten minutes or so.

Oh. I freeze my sauce flat in bags, pull them out of the freezer and crack the sauce into fourths, then dump those in a little sauce pot and put it on low next to the pasta water as it heats up.

Works fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

That should work fine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Use the circulator to reheat water to below boiling and thaw out the bag and then dump it into a pot? Alternatively dethaw in fridge night before...

Chemmy posted:

Oh. I freeze my sauce flat in bags, pull them out of the freezer and crack the sauce into fourths, then dump those in a little sauce pot and put it on low next to the pasta water as it heats up.

Works fine.

I currently do the pot thing, I’m just looking to optimize for no particularly compelling reason. Adding the circulator to the mix — though circulator-thawing is indeed a big part of my life — goes the other way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That should work fine

Great, thanks.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Dewgy posted:

So this isn’t a great pic overall since it’s leftovers since gone cold on the counter, but I tried out finishing a steak with a heat gun today and holy hot drat.

That surface to center line looked photoshopped even in real life. I usually finish on cast iron with some butter and I’m more than happy with it but this was a whole different experience.

Roughly how long did it take you to sear using the heat gun? I ask because I tried this last night but got impatient due to hungriness, and gave up after 2-3 minutes a side with an unsatisfying sear.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

asciidic posted:

Roughly how long did it take you to sear using the heat gun? I ask because I tried this last night but got impatient due to hungriness, and gave up after 2-3 minutes a side with an unsatisfying sear.

Only a couple of minutes, but yeah, it’s easy to get impatient. Probably the weirdest part of it is getting used to how close you have to put it to the surface to really get things going, the flat metal nozzle I had on the end was almost touching the meat.

If you look real close, you’ll start to see the surface start to bubble and crackle. Once that starts happening you’ll see color changes real quick and then it’s easier to get a feel for how long you have to run over it. It also seems like it’s really hard to overcook this way even though you feel like you will. Unlike using a pan or grill or oven, most of the excess heat from the gun gets deflected away instead of absorbed into the middle.

Just like the Searzall from the test video a few posts back, it kind of feels like painting once you get into the swing of it. I definitely want to play with it a bit more though, I may try it on some frozen tuna next, since that came out pretty decent but a little overdone in the middle the last time I tried it SV.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Thanks, I'll give it another try this weekend. I think the issue may have been that I didn't have the air speed cranked all the way up because I didn't want to blow seasoning off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I’m new to having a foodsaver. I got 3 nice New York’s at the store today. I plan to puddle them in the coming days...

So I vac seal them.

Fridge them.

If I plan to eat any this week, I assume fridge is ok... but if longer, freeze.

Then puddle them to temp whenever I’m ready to eat, sear, and enjoy, yes?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I let my frozen steaks come up to temp in the fridge and then cut the bag open, season and re bag. If you’re ok with unseasoned steak you can puddle frozen

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Feenix posted:

Ok I’m new to having a foodsaver. I got 3 nice New York’s at the store today. I plan to puddle them in the coming days...

So I vac seal them.

Fridge them.

If I plan to eat any this week, I assume fridge is ok... but if longer, freeze.

Then puddle them to temp whenever I’m ready to eat, sear, and enjoy, yes?

yeah, you're fine, make sure you season first though

sear in a hot as gently caress pan with butter and a sprig of rosemary, spooning the butter

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
then make sous vide carrots to go with it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:discourse:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Plinkey posted:

yeah, you're fine, make sure you season first though

sear in a hot as gently caress pan with butter and a sprig of rosemary, spooning the butter

Thanks all. Yeah I’m no stranger to SV just new to vac sealing. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of Vac sealing, I got overly eager and seasoned my steak with Salt prior to Vac Sealing. (I only ever place in a ziplock right before I cook, so I wasn't thinking. It wasn't insane, but it was a generous sprinkling on both sides. I panicked last night and googled and Kenji seems to think that overnight is an ok amount of time to leave salt on a steak. It's been overnight.

I have a couple of options:

Cut the bags and then, what, rinse and reseal?

Puddle them today. (Will this stop whatever the salt is doing to the meat?) or does that not take place until I sear them?

Puddle *AND* sear them today... then rebag and reheat/sear in the future, post-freeze/fridge.

What's my best course of action here? :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
just cook and eat your steak

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bottom Liner posted:

just cook and eat your steak

Yes, that is the general idea, but I have 3 big ones. So I doubt I can do all of that today. :p

One, MAYBE 2 if I skip lunch...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Always vac at less than full power, hit the seal button before it seals itself. Full power on a foodsaver seems to give meats a dryer/firmer texture

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
quick question - I'm doing my first sou vide tonight, just went with 3 chicken breasts. Anyway, I naturally just assumed there's be a container here that would work good but all my roommates had was a whisking bowl sort of deal. It's tall enough for the chicken breasts, but I had to slide the little clamp down onto the metal skirt part for it to be low enough to clamp to the side of the bowl. Is that going to be okay at ~145 degrees? I checked the manual and in the warnings it didn't say anything about not doing that.

e: https://imgur.com/a/6Lxhqrw in case my explanation sucks

also cooking times online say 1-4 hours. Would say, 2.5 be a good starting point to pull it out and check it with a thermometer? They started from frozen but they already seem to be completely thawed after 30 minutes. I'm at 148F.

e: chicken came out pretty good. Any time I cooked breast in the oven or on the foreman grill it seems like it was always too tough or had some gross rubbery texture, but that wasn't the case here. I didn't bother with searing it or anything fancy. Pork Tenderloin in there now, have it set to 140.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 4, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

quick question - I'm doing my first sou vide tonight, just went with 3 chicken breasts. Anyway, I naturally just assumed there's be a container here that would work good but all my roommates had was a whisking bowl sort of deal. It's tall enough for the chicken breasts, but I had to slide the little clamp down onto the metal skirt part for it to be low enough to clamp to the side of the bowl. Is that going to be okay at ~145 degrees? I checked the manual and in the warnings it didn't say anything about not doing that.

e: https://imgur.com/a/6Lxhqrw in case my explanation sucks

also cooking times online say 1-4 hours. Would say, 2.5 be a good starting point to pull it out and check it with a thermometer? They started from frozen but they already seem to be completely thawed after 30 minutes. I'm at 148F.

e: chicken came out pretty good. Any time I cooked breast in the oven or on the foreman grill it seems like it was always too tough or had some gross rubbery texture, but that wasn't the case here. I didn't bother with searing it or anything fancy. Pork Tenderloin in there now, have it set to 140.

As long as the heating implement and thermometer are covered you shpuld be good, but hit up a cash n carry they have good containers.

Most sous vide times mean that for 1-4 hours, its ready in 1 hour but keeps for another 3 after that without any trouble.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I did Chefsteps’ sous vide brisket. One half of it turned out a little dry and tough, and the other half was juicy and moist. I guess people say the “point” is always better than the “flat” of a brisket.

Will cooking the flat to a different temp solve this, or is it always a problem?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I did Chefsteps’ sous vide brisket. One half of it turned out a little dry and tough, and the other half was juicy and moist. I guess people say the “point” is always better than the “flat” of a brisket.
What people.

Like if you're smoking a brisket both the point and the flat should come out edible. The point's good for burnt ends, chopped brisket sandwiches, and that kind of thing. But you go into a decent bbq place and just order brisket by default you're going to get slices off the flat. Most of the brisket you'll see submitted in competition is going to be off the flat too.

If you're making a brisket and the flat turns out dry then something went wrong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm I trimmed maybe 3/4 of the fat off both. Would leaving more fat in have helped?

I can’t think of anything else I could have done, I followed the Chefsteps recipe with no deviations

24 hours st 154F

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 4, 2018

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm I trimmed maybe 3/4 of the fat off both. Would leaving more fat in have helped?
Nah, probably not. Trimming brisket is one of those holy war subjects and I don't particularly want to go there, but really you only need a lot of fat on the flat if you're smoking the brisket in an offset smoker that has a hotspot due to the position of the firebox. When I'm doing brisket in a WSM (which has a water pan between the smoke chamber and the firebox, so the meat doesn't catch any direct radiant heat from the firebox), for example, I trim it way closer than when I'm doing it in an offset, and if anything it comes out better---better bark production, smoke ring penetration, and so on. If you're doing the brisket s-v you could probably get away with trimming the brisket bare.

As to what went wrong I really dunno. I'm generally skeptical of the ChefSteps method, so I'm probably not the best person to comment on that part specifically.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I would have smoked traditionally, but the neighbors had a condo fire and I thought it might not be a good time

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This probably isn't _just_ a sous vide question, but I don't know where to get raw octopus tentacle in the Philippines--though I can easily get tentacles that are ready for sushi. Can I sous vide this to get the same results as the recipes I've seen seeing for western/Spanish style octopus?

Also, I have no idea what those are actually supposed to taste like so for all I know these tentacles from the Japanese store are already suitable for said dishes as is. Anyone have insight on this?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Steve Yun posted:

I would have smoked traditionally, but the neighbors had a condo fire and I thought it might not be a good time

This is both polite and hilarious. Reminds me of that ancient bash.org quote:

quote:

#349567 +(16416)- [X]

Rabidplaybunny87: Okay, so my neighbors officially hate me
GarbageStan23: why?
Rabidplaybunny87: Well, me, david and andrew were having a bonfire in the backyard, and we were making s'mores and all... and suddenly we here sirens, and see a firetruck turn into the street in front of us.
Rabidplaybunny87: So we all went running to see what was up, and our neigbor's house was on fire!
GarbageStan23: oh poo poo!
Rabidplaybunny87: Yeah, and when we got there, the wife was crying into her husbands arms, and we were just kinda standing there, and then she saw us, and then like for 10 seconds, gave us the dirtiest look ever
Rabidplaybunny87: Turns out, we were still holding our sticks with marshmallows on it, watching the fire....
Rabidplaybunny87: talk about bad timing...

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

SubG posted:

I'm generally skeptical of the ChefSteps method, so I'm probably not the best person to comment on that part specifically.

I've done Serious Eats' method a couple times now and aside from one smaller piece that I put too much salt on, it's come out fine. Didn't trim them, they came from the butcher with maybe 1cm or so of cap.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Night Shade posted:

I've done Serious Eats' method a couple times now and aside from one smaller piece that I put too much salt on, it's come out fine. Didn't trim them, they came from the butcher with maybe 1cm or so of cap.
Oh god I just looked up His Holiness López-Alt's brisket photos and the finished slices have like a cm of fat on them. I mean if that's your jam more power to ya. But that poo poo looks (to me) more like `done hosed up' than `better get pics for a how-to'. Like if you were in a competition and your brisket came out like that you wouldn't even bother putting it in the box. Not that everyone needs to cook like they're in a competition or anything, it's just really striking because seriouseats photography is usually hardcore food porn. Which leads me to believe that it's supposed to look like that.

Is this one of those `some people just like it like that' things or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Let’s hope not.