Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Sazabi posted:

As long as we are rewriting Divers why not remove decal break and just do a tournament or MMO setting with the main groups rise to the top. Or if you must keep the break decals, have it be a sailor Moon/ power rangers thing where me. Salty infects people or their gunpla and they go berserk with all the negatives on the game too. It removes the constant "this will make me stronger". Anything but the current toothless stuff. Since next few episodes will either solve it or just fizzle into another super gunpla breaking a few things and Riku stopping it immediately.

Honestly, the solution to break decals, if I were writing the show at least, is to have them be an accepted in game powerup that most people think is distasteful or risky. Have it be like a form of hardcore mode, where damage taken by your mobile suit in GBN is suffered in the actual model (either in a build fighters format, or just the staff smashing it with a hammer.). Pro's/True Gunpla lovers hate it because it is disrespectful to their beloved gunpla, while those who use it in story basically use it for the same reason.

quote:

Have you considered what's probably happening in the dozens of situations where there aren't pro-tier players able to stop them on-hand? Like, oh, the bit at the end of the episode?

Show don't tell. Every instance of a Break Decal that has appeared on screen has ended up getting absolutely wrecked without accomplishing anything of note. You aren't establishing your bad guys as a credible threat by having the protagonist constantly style on them without effort, even if you throw in the occasional line or five second scene of serious folks talking about how powerful they are. Like I said, team rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If only there were secondary effects catastrophically disrupting vast areas of the game world any time somone used a break decal.

:thunk:

They're not Team Rocket, anyway. They pretty clearly only exist as individual tests for Shadowy Villain's break decals and it doesn't matter if they're stopped. He still learned what he needed from them running. Eapecially considering he told Ayame to let this latest one play out without her interference and it went waaay worse/better than previous ones. Which means any others he's given out more recently (like whatever smashed Rommel's team) are probably just as bad.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 30, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I get the point of it, it's just annoying that they lazily finished it off screen. It was a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the difference between Do-ji, the experienced but untalented player, and Riku, the plucky new talent. They could then take a few of Rikus moves from the Do-ji fight an have him play them against Ogre who, being both experienced and talented, would play off of them with relative ease. So overall we get a more concrete idea of where Riku stands in his progression and also reinforces the idea that while he was able to mostly keep up with Ogre even in Transam, he would have ultimately lost the fight if it hadn't been interrupted. Then we could actually have Riku show some god drat emotion over the whole thing.

Predictions for next episode: Rikus gonna get given a hilariously important position in the federation of cool dudes.

I'm hoping for Super General King and Lord President.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Honestly I can probably tell you exactly how the series is gonna play out, based on how it's escalated;

The next three/four episodes play out the Break Decal arc to its conclusion, Shadowy Villain whose name I can't be arsed looking up either gets outed and/or vanishes into the shadows with his plans ruined.

The second half of the show is the tournament arc, and somewhere in there they figure out Sarah's ACTUALLY there in the GBN world rather than just another player-avatar.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If only there were secondary effects catastrophically disrupting vast areas of the game world any time somone used a break decal.

:thunk:

They're not Team Rocket, anyway. They pretty clearly only exist as individual tests for Shadowy Villain's break decals and it doesn't matter if they're stopped. He still learned what he needed from them running. Eapecially considering he told Ayame to let this latest one play out without her interference and it went waaay worse/better than previous ones. Which means any others he's given out more recently (like whatever smashed Rommel's team) are probably just as bad.

Yeah, terrifying catastrophic effects that don't negatively impede the lead characters in any way, ones that immediately close up shortly after team rocket gets sent blasting off again. Those scoundrels.

Every example of break decals in use has had them get immediately stomped into mud. Following that up with 'and then they wiped out this group of experienced players' comes off as absurd because I'm fairly certain you could throw a rock at a suit with a break decal active and the thing would shatter into a thousand pieces, given the credibility of the threat that they've been presented as. Like I said, show, don't tell. The viewer cannot take break decals as a reasonable threat when they are effortlessly defeated every time they are used.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

I fell asleep and didn’t finish this episode, break decals plot is bad
Tbh I fell asleep too, though I did wake up later and finish the episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caros posted:

Yeah, terrifying catastrophic effects that don't negatively impede the lead characters in any way, ones that immediately close up shortly after team rocket gets sent blasting off again. Those scoundrels.

Every example of break decals in use has had them get immediately stomped into mud. Following that up with 'and then they wiped out this group of experienced players' comes off as absurd because I'm fairly certain you could throw a rock at a suit with a break decal active and the thing would shatter into a thousand pieces, given the credibility of the threat that they've been presented as. Like I said, show, don't tell. The viewer cannot take break decals as a reasonable threat when they are effortlessly defeated every time they are used.

Eh, it felt like Riku and Ogre were at least getting pushed this time around, and had to resort to unorthodox tactics to bring that thing down.

It’s also worth remembering the purpose of the Break Decals. They’re pretty obviously a sabotage attempt by a bitter fan of the previous Gunpla game designed to discredit and destroy GBN. Their success isn’t measured in the protagonists they beat, but in the subscriber-count they reduce because the game just isn’t fun any more.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What really shocked me is that we have a clear "rampaging Cyber Newtype" deal and no one tried to talk Ogre Kid down. I know it's all online, but that's the equivalent of them just straight up murking the poor kid. :stare:

Also it's really telling that Red Ogre didn't try to calm his brother down and just went straight to attacking him. Hell, it was his teammates who tried to comfort Ogre Kid after the whole thing while he just walked away without a word. It's no wonder the poor kid was completely insecure and resorted to PKing newbies or using the Break Decal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amigolupus posted:

What really shocked me is that we have a clear "rampaging Cyber Newtype" deal and no one tried to talk Ogre Kid down. I know it's all online, but that's the equivalent of them just straight up murking the poor kid. :stare:

Do-Ji does actually say something like "I'M TRYING, I CAN'T STOP IT!" when they try to talk him down, which is why they go in to kill it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do-Ji does actually say something like "I'M TRYING, I CAN'T STOP IT!" when they try to talk him down, which is why they go in to kill it.

He said that almost immediately, in fact, so yeah, there was zero reason for them to try to talk him down.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's interesting, because it directly contradicts what happened last week, when they were able to talk that girl down and she deactivated the thing on her own. And given that we know the guy with the hood was monitoring the situation (calling Ayame and telling her not to interfere), I'm half wondering if those things have some kind of back door access that lets him take control of the Gunpla remotely and override the player's commands.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

It's interesting, because it directly contradicts what happened last week, when they were able to talk that girl down and she deactivated the thing on her own. And given that we know the guy with the hood was monitoring the situation (calling Ayame and telling her not to interfere), I'm half wondering if those things have some kind of back door access that lets him take control of the Gunpla remotely and override the player's commands.

He said Do-ji was a ‘special customer’. That was totally a next-gen Break Decal prototype he was testing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Given that his gunpla actively, and nigh-unstoppably, mutates, I'd say it's more likely Do-Ji unwittingly got to field-test the latest version of a Break Decal (Hence the "don't interfere" order). Remember, the real point is to break/brick the game rather than give the user a boost.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I re-checked and you're right, I missed him saying that. I guess I'm just really used to Gundam protagonists trying to talk down rampaging pilots, so I still expected them to try. :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The new decals at least seem to be more of a threat, what with the mutating the gunpla and the post credit scene showing that part's of rommels team got their asses kicked.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm okay with a couple more Mass Divers if we get cool horror mutant mobile suit designs out of it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

amigolupus posted:

I re-checked and you're right, I missed him saying that. I guess I'm just really used to Gundam protagonists trying to talk down rampaging pilots, so I still expected them to try. :v:

in fairness, it was kinda weird for none of the characters to really comment on this big escalation in the overall threat of the series

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

in fairness, it was kinda weird for none of the characters to really comment on this big escalation in the overall threat of the series

The last Break Decal caused serious, area-wide disruption in a festival hub housing thousands of players, even if it was temporary. This one may be an escalation, but it’s not an immediately obvious one, so I can see why they didn’t immediately panic about it. It’ll probably sink in when they get the news from Rommel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The last Break Decal caused serious, area-wide disruption in a festival hub housing thousands of players, even if it was temporary. This one may be an escalation, but it’s not an immediately obvious one, so I can see why they didn’t immediately panic about it. It’ll probably sink in when they get the news from Rommel.

It's also poo poo they've seen on a similar level before with the Devil Gundam bursting through the cracks.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ninja girl comments on how much this decal is effecting the game. Even though all we see are tornadoes that don't damage any building. Not that it would matter if they did since the map is instanced and gets reset. But ohhhh so threatening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Ninja girl comments on how much this decal is effecting the game. Even though all we see are tornadoes that don't damage any building. Not that it would matter if they did since the map is instanced and gets reset. But ohhhh so threatening.

Have you still not considered what'd happen if someone set off one of the loving things in that lobby/city zone? Especially one with effects that don't go away after the decal's shut off? What we've seen so far are very patently disposable test-runs leading up to some major event. It's why the guy's handing the things out like candy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Break decal effects are eventually going to progress to colony drops and moonlight butterfly if the writers have a clue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Break decal effects are eventually going to progress to colony drops and moonlight butterfly if the writers have a clue.

Moonlight Butterfly with colonies for wings.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Moonlight Butterfly with colonies for wings.

Butterflies shaped like colonies. Make it an attraction. "Come to GBN and watch the migration of the monarch side3s as they head south to Australia to complete their life cycle.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you still not considered what'd happen if someone set off one of the loving things in that lobby/city zone? Especially one with effects that don't go away after the decal's shut off? What we've seen so far are very patently disposable test-runs leading up to some major event. It's why the guy's handing the things out like candy.

Given their effectiveness so far? I presume if someone used a break decal in a populated area, the result would either be the person getting talked down and hugging it out with friends, or some plucky newcommer or ace pilot murdering them easily. If your point is that they'd stomp on the unprepared people, then I gotta point out that you don't really need a break decal to step on folks, nor does there appear to be any penalty for pilot death that we know of, if that is even possible when not in a mech.

Even if it did matter, that is pretty shitt from a narritive perspective. Yay! One day, about halfway through the show's runtime, the show's main antagonist may do something on a scale slightly more threatening than vaguely annoying some newbie players. I sure am glad we got all this setup with them as laughable monsters of the week who don't accomplish anything of note.

There are ways to write break decals as being an actual threat. Have them actually damage or destroy a mech on the protagonist's side (there are five of them for crying out loud). Show damage to bystanders. Have them deal any sort of lasting environmental damage, or glitch out a quest to the point it becomes unwinnable. Hell, have them break game logic to force pvp in pve only areas, like the fatass tried did in the first area with his trick. Literally anything would be better than 'Oh, he's so powerful all of a sudden', followed by a near effortless victory'

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 30, 2018

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Caros posted:

Given their effectiveness so far? I presume if someone used a break decal in a populated area, the result would either be the person getting talked down and hugging it out with friends, or some plucky newcommer or ace pilot murdering them easily. If your point is that they'd stomp on the unprepared people, then I gotta point out that you don't really need a break decal to step on folks, nor does there appear to be any penalty for pilot death that we know of, if that is even possible when not in a mech.

Even if it did matter, that is pretty shitt from a narritive perspective. Yay! One day, about halfway through the show's runtime, the show's main antagonist may do something on a scale slightly more threatening than vaguely annoying some newbie players. I sure am glad we got all this setup with them as laughable monsters of the week who don't accomplish anything of note.

There are ways to write break decals as being an actual threat. Have them actually damage or destroy a mech on the protagonist's side (there are five of them for crying out loud). Show damage to bystanders. Have them deal any sort of lasting environmental damage, or glitch out a quest to the point it becomes unwinnable. Hell, have them break game logic to force pvp in pve only areas, like the fatass tried did in the first area with his trick. Literally anything would be better than 'Oh, he's so powerful all of a sudden', followed by a near effortless victory'

I think the only thing break decals could do that would make me care is if they somehow damaged or broke the actual model. Specifically Momokapool or the Galbaldy Rebake. Everything else has been so toothless. Even today's post credit. The Rommel's rookies aren't shown traumatized, frustrated, upset, or quitting. It's just some diorama of a zaku graveyard.

The bear park has zero injuries. The rides just go faster for a bit then stop. And everyone is like "cool event. I like how the added bonus stuff to make it different from last year."

Fatty's suit going demon nine tails was cool not threatening. Also Sarah didn't say a word so we can assume the gunpla felt fine about getting swole. Fatty crying was a sweet consolation prize for not having a proper fight, or doing justice to the War in the Pocket set. Yeah a really wasted opportunity.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The MMO aspect really is double edged because there are honestly no stakes to what happen in GBN other than wounded pride and lost loot or exp so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you die in gbn you die in real life.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zodack posted:

The MMO aspect really is double edged because there are honestly no stakes to what happen in GBN other than wounded pride and lost loot or exp so far.
I'd say that's been a problem with all three Build series to varying degrees.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Raxivace posted:

I agree - In Fighters at least since it was a new concept, there were tournament stakes, and the models could break, it felt like losses, cheaters, and upgrades meant something substantial. I got that vibe from the Force battle a bit but insofar it's pretty difficult for me to be invested especially when this is all in an MMO world.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Strongly disagree, at least in regards to the first BF. BF was a sports anime where the sport happened to be fighting toy robots, and it had fine stakes. The mistake this show made is moving away from that by giving it more "serious" stakes with the break decals and failing to live up to that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Even in GBF the whole "your gunpla gets damaged!" thing was entirely toothless and even the most destructive battles in the series involving the protagonists(Build Strike vs Zaku Amazing, Build Strike vs Fenice, Build Strike vs Sengoku Astray) had literally zero long term consequences re: suit damage.

The only stakes these shows should really need is emotional investment in who wins or loses the fights. I don't really care about the enduring fate of GBN, an MMO I will never play and if it is profitable will likely be replaced by the company that runs it if hooded man somehow ruins it. I just want to watch cool robot fights and cheer for dumb kids to win the sportsball cup.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GBF even felt the need to escalate into Plavsky particles malfunctioning and making the fights actually real to the degree they could damage the real world, which sure was a place to go.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

ah, bandai syndrome

Seems more like standard operating procedure for every single corporation in every single media field really, not something limited to Bandai.

Darth Walrus posted:

Their success isn’t measured in the protagonists they beat, but in the subscriber-count they reduce because the game just isn’t fun any more.

It might help if the show would at least talk about how the spread of break decals has affected player count, or better yet, show the user base dwindling in some form. Have the central hub areas getting quieter and quieter over time, have Riku and friends have trouble finding opponents because Forces are quitting. If you really wanted to rub it in you could have Patrick not show up because his player quit. As is, it's really just an implication with no definite substance to it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He said it so quickly and was hesitating so long over whether to activate the break decal that I actually wonder if he even did so in the first place, or if the hooded guy was able to remotely activate it without the user's permission once it had been installed. It'd at least be a step up in threat if the user could not only lose control but had no control over it's activation once it was installed. Especially if the hooded guy found some way to mass install them without people realizing or giving consent in the next episode.

Sazabi posted:

Butterflies shaped like colonies. Make it an attraction. "Come to GBN and watch the migration of the monarch side3s as they head south to Australia to complete their life cycle.

Colony cyliner centers with Libra fortresses and/or Solar Ray arrays for wings.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am disappointed that not everyone in ogre force is an ogre.

Also, uhhh youtube?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 2, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

chumbler posted:

Also, uhhh youtube?

Now I'm sad Break Decals don't take the form of sassy AIs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

break decal v2, now voiced by magee

Caros
May 14, 2008

dogsicle posted:

break decal v2, now voiced by magee

Sassy, not assy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caros posted:

Sassy, not assy.

So it's Assy MaGee? Has he been a Gunpla Detective all along? Is Sei's father Magee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chumbler posted:

Also, uhhh youtube?

I actually had to go back when I saw that line to see if it was actually subbing anything, but no. There's nothing on-screen. I have no idea where that came from, but it's...appropiate.

• Locked thread