Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Speleothing posted:

Undead or magical beings will probably dissolve, though, so you've got that going for you.

That's if they're mindless undead or magic beings. They'll run away like everyone else if they can think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

What if their leadership is too low for the size of the army?

a 40 leadership 0 ud leadership soulless can lead 100 soulless unless you take them out of the #squad

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I bought this game and read upwards of 1/2 of the manual, so I expect I'll be winning my first newb game any day now!

(Do I just go on the discord and wait until someone starts a noob game, sign up, and then insert the server address in the game itself? If I was good with computer I would not have gone to law school)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

von Metternich posted:

I bought this game and read upwards of 1/2 of the manual, so I expect I'll be winning my first newb game any day now!

(Do I just go on the discord and wait until someone starts a noob game, sign up, and then insert the server address in the game itself? If I was good with computer I would not have gone to law school)

Just go on discord and join a game, and ask all the questions you might have. Once the game starts, you'll get an address for the server.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

von Metternich posted:

Also watch some of Monkee and GeneralConfusions videos.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I made a mod that makes construction items extremely cheap (a lot of the crappy items cost zero gems) and also adds a bunch of stupid new items to the game, if anybody wants to try it out.

You can download the mod here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6etr8f8w6k53mgh/mu_items_v1.rar?dl=1.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does that killing charm kill immediately or start of the battle? I figure load scouts up with them and then suicide them into enemy lines.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Donkringel posted:

Does that killing charm kill immediately or start of the battle? I figure load scouts up with them and then suicide them into enemy lines.

it kills you at the start of battle, and is unlootable i think

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there any sort of benefit to the suicide item? A cool wacky strategy that I'm too dumb to spot?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Torrannor posted:

Is there any sort of benefit to the suicide item? A cool wacky strategy that I'm too dumb to spot?
This is its spell. If you can hold it without dying its effect will spill into up to 2 nearby squares.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
This mod owns bones holy poo poo

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mu. posted:

I made a mod that makes construction items extremely cheap (a lot of the crappy items cost zero gems) and also adds a bunch of stupid new items to the game, if anybody wants to try it out.

You can download the mod here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6etr8f8w6k53mgh/mu_items_v1.rar?dl=1.

Why is this a mod and not just in the base game? (Good writing, btw.)

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
imo you have majorly undervalued the power of priest +1

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Going to try out the construction mod after I complete my current game (playing pangaea with max turmoil, all of my major armies are horribly starving). Are there any other mods worth considering for Dom 5? It's hard to find good ones that are updated to Dom5, I keep getting false positives for Dom 4 and 3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

General

Foul Air didn't work in combat
Battle inconsistency fixed
New ability: Spring Immortality
Cloud Trapeze had wrong distance shown when selecting target
New summoning ritual for Greek nations: Procession of the Underworld
Battle performance improvements
New Gods for Greek nations: Titan of the Spring, Titan of Growth, Titan of the Hunt
New Gods for Greek nations: Titan of the Crossroads, Grey Ones
Destruction spells destroy one level at a time but helmets and shields too
Magic armors have partial resistance against destruction spells
Don't lose teleport ability from old age
Unique summons get orders cleared when resummoned
Broken helm had wrong info icon
New map editor feature, ctrl-x, expand area of all provinces
Fixed purging of failed random gods
LA Arcoscephale got Hydrophoros
Therodos forts prevent the last population from dying
Improved mouse click hit locations when recruiting and transferring units
Increased number of old network connections that are saved
ctrl-9 to show province numbers on map
Blinking units auto succeed at freeing from earth grip/web/tangle vines
Hell Power updated
Most horrors are now floating
All blood spells requiring blood slaves not castable under water
Death sound effects when immortals die too
g for goto province in map editor too
Ethereal crossbow now properly soul slays the target
Passwords replaced with ***
Dome of Corruption less horror marking and granting +2 magic scale
New look for soul vortex
New look for Drain Life and Leech
New spell for LA Ulm: Gift of the Moon
New ritual for late Arco: From Death Comes Life
2 new spells for late Arco
New priestesses for Arcoscephale
AI got better understanding of trinity gods
More popups for item abilities
Mistform will never negate more than 25 points from a single hit
More rituals got "goto targeted province"
Gore attack from horns will be lost when wearing a helmet
Can no longer seduce over unfrozen river
Goto province was missing on some assassination type messages
AI item distribution improvement
Capped damages will no longer damage shields
Spells affecting only demons didn't work properly
New layout for empowerment screen
Shadow on modified map text colors was inverted
UW castles now have triton defenders when owned by land nations
The Ark blesses wielder if he's sacred
Constructs can no longer heal in enemy labs
Spell casting AI more likely to cast resistance buffs to boost existing resistance
Poison res from spells increased 5 -> 10
Illithids didn't target single non mindless correctly
Reported deaths from Wrath of God, Purgatory, etc. didn't work properly
Leadership penalty from feeblemind and dementia now rounded down
Graphics for banefire strike
Destroyed temple message when conquering forts
Blood Fecundity enchantment no longer shown in battles
New divine titles

I omitted the modding part.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
drat it feels good to be a Greek nation.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
with minimal scales sacrifices you can boost the grey ones up to 90 rp. This is fair.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

How are u posted:

drat it feels good to be a Greek nation.

to be fair, aren't all the greek nations total garbage?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

GreyjoyBastard posted:

to be fair, aren't all the greek nations total garbage?

no. they have infinity diversity now because they have summons that gor into all of the paths that they dont have natively, and in la they just have every path but b lood anyway

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I omitted the modding part.
The modding part is the good part, though.

Oh and the Lampades you can summon 12 of for 15 gems GoR into an S1D2N1 mage btw for any Phlegra players wondering how to get Mass Regen / Will of the Fates / Life after Death into their armies very easily without making the quite expensive communion master hat

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 31, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Normal Adult Human posted:

with minimal scales sacrifices you can boost the grey ones up to 90 rp. This is fair.

How high can you get with a trinity god?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i think i just was screwing around and did like, f2a3e4w5s3d5n2b3 and they came out with 88. if you want to go hard you would probably boost water to 10 and death to, idk, also 10. who knows.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I want to buy this game, but am worried that playing the game takes too long in both sessions and completing conquest.

Sell me on this game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I would say 'you can be a pirate god' but the water-focus nations kind of suck, unless that's been fixed since I stopped paying attention.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you dont have to conquer everything unless you change the settings because you hate yourself

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I want to buy this game, but am worried that playing the game takes too long in both sessions and completing conquest.

Sell me on this game.

The game included some victory conditions by default in Dom4 to try to not make the endgame a long cleanup operation. In Dom5 they also included an optional soft-turn limit. There are also more options to decide who wins, research points, % of provinces conquested, etc though to be honest I never tried.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
my understanding is usually if youre playing multiplayer its just about being stubborn enough to be the last person to quit and you win by default

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

quite stretched out posted:

my understanding is usually if youre playing multiplayer its just about being stubborn enough to be the last person to quit and you win by default

Hey, don't call me stubborn!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

If I like Civilization will I like this game?

It comes across to me as Civilization: Hardcore Edition.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

punk rebel ecks posted:

You might? It's not at all like Civ, but I like Civ and I like this game. Civ is super streamlined, especially the more recent games, whereas this has a learning cliff and absolutely requires external aids for planning. The UI is passable at best. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of that is in spite of, not because of, the gameplay. I also consider it basically multiplayer only, because nothing screws with AI like having infinite options.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

The UI is passable at best. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of that is in spite of, not because of, the gameplay.

Could you elaborate please?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

punk rebel ecks posted:

Could you elaborate please?

Most of my enjoyment comes from aspects related to, but not actually part of the core gameplay. Pretender design, multiplayer and balancing long term goals with short term gains are the things I enjoy the most in the game, whereas the core gameplay, especially the battles and commander management turn to turn, are very ehh to me. I've been playing since Dominions 3, and the game is way better now than it used to be, but it is still very dated UI wise.

I'll still recommend it to people, but with caveats. If someone new to the TBS genre plays Civ and asks me to recommend a similar game, Dominions is not it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

The game is much more a fantasy wargame than a Civilization type of game. You aren't going to do a peace treaty, or developed farmlands, or build the Pyramids, or a sewer system for your population. You are going to recruit and form armies leaded by commanders, you are going to give them some battle orders and then you are going to try to beat everyone else with said armies.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Have you played the Demo? I know there are demos for 3 and earlier.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
someone suggested i would get this game to fill faster if i made a post in the thread so here you go

mandomdraft (MA Lobby)
Nation
MA Ermor
MA Pythium
MA Asphodel
MA Shinuyama
MA Uruk
MA Phaeacia
MA Atlantis
MA Ys
OPEN
OPEN
OPEN
OPEN
Player
@Kremath
@Cuthbert
@FireSight
@Meksivik
@Cryle
@CynicJester
@Fauxbot
@Gridlocked
Owner
@Cryle
Description
Picked nations will be randomly assigned before pretender creation. no banned nations. murderation.

im thinking about, maybe, idk, going with 9. if i can convince stupid fucker idiot fauxbot to not be an UW nation

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
im also spitballing an idea for a kakujen memorial game, which is a 6 player game in which everyone registers two nations

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
i changed it to the stinky lizard men because i am such a nice boy, god

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
now we just gotta shame ys and phraecia into not being such assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey guys I just logged in to play my one game turn per 36 hour period and I see there's a new patch! And it includes extra earthquake screen shake effects!!!