Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Just think, if the Bulls had never traded LMA for Tyrus Deer-in-Headlights Thomas, you'd never have gotten to experience The Return, and all the subsequent BACKness questions.

tell me a team in the history of basketball that could possibly beat LaMarcus, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, and The Freaking Captain Kirk Hinrich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

tell me a team in the history of basketball that could possibly beat LaMarcus, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, and The Freaking Captain Kirk Hinrich

the cavs without lebron next year. jordan clarkson bitch

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jordan clarkson gonna have the first ep of detail with no advice needed

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Ghost Dog posted:

"it's jordan clarkson time" - cavs gm looking at a spreadsheet of lottery odds

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

which one of those chumps is stopping Andres Nocioni

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Maybe MAYBE the 2018 Golden State Warriors

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

im not going topf ind out who that is, but larry legend

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Uh, the Baby Bulls with LMA would be super awesome. Re-do the "Ben Wallace is like my bigger brother protecting me from bullies" (-Captain Kirk) saga, and you've got the perfect team right there.

Look at this lineup. Just look at it:

Ben Wallace
LMA
Loul Deng pre-attempted murder
BEN JORDAN
The Captain

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just for my part it's not as much about fit of LeBron and more about the fact that I think it takes a very specific set of skills to beat the Warriors and I don't think the Sixers roster has it (mostly because Simmons is such a loving awful shooter) so I question the team as a Warriors Killer which is... well, pretty much the point.

I think they'd be terrifying because they'd abuse the Warriors physically with their length and their strength. We can scheme all we want about creating systems or whatever other nonsense when at the heart of it most people that get in the ring with the Warriors try to dance with them as if they're Floyd Mayweather when the best way to beat them is what the Rockets just did- lean on them HARD. No one in the league can outshoot them and no one will be able to for the next few years, so grind them down a la Memphis but with a bit more offense which LBJ could easily bring.

Embiid would absolutely destroy Draymond in a 7 game series, Ben Simmons or LBJ would wear down Durant on both ends, and a few bone rattling screens on Steph would shake his world. Klay, as always, is the beautiful, unflappable enigma :allears:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've always believed Noce had a little of Drazen in him in that he never showered and so defenders didn't want to get too close, which would explain basically any of his offense being successful.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

TheKevman posted:

I think they'd be terrifying because they'd abuse the Warriors physically with their length and their strength. We can scheme all we want about creating systems or whatever other nonsense when at the heart of it most people that get in the ring with the Warriors try to dance with them as if they're Floyd Mayweather when the best way to beat them is what the Rockets just did- lean on them HARD. No one in the league can outshoot them and no one will be able to for the next few years, so grind them down a la Memphis but with a bit more offense which LBJ could easily bring.

It'll probably be a few years if/before they match up but Boston could theoretically start 5 40% three point shooters while keeping up an elite defense next year, I'm interested to see how that's gonna turn out

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheKevman posted:

Embiid would absolutely destroy Draymond in a 7 game series, Ben Simmons or LBJ would wear down Durant on both ends, and a few bone rattling screens on Steph would shake his world. Klay, as always, is the beautiful, unflappable enigma :allears:

That's actually a good take.

Just FYI I PM'd you in case you don't have email notifications on. Take a gander when you get a chance. :)

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i don't think any team can beat the warriors without having one player at least as good as kd/steph. and yeah that certainly narrows the field to...two teams? one?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Are we really pretending like LeBron isn't going to do what Iverson couldn't and beat the Warriors completely by himself, like, every single point belongs to him, not assists, all the rebounds, etc., etc.?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
What if LeBron just straight up retires after the Finals

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

TheKevman posted:

It would be fun to watch but the spacing on that team would be terrible.
Blowing up GSW's motion requires switching everything. Embiid can't end up on the perimeter against KD or Curry consistently.

E2M2 posted:

What if LeBron just straight up retires after the Finals

Lebron 2020.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If the Cavs win the series behind LeBron averaging something absurd like 45/15/10 (which let's be real is entirely possible considering the last two games) then he could absolutely retire on top and I think the GOAT discussion is over for good

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

are you ever right about anything? a lineup of JJ reddick, robert covington, lebron james, ben simmons and joel embiid would have 3pt shooters of 41%, 39%, 34%, 0% and 32%. how is that bad spacing? two great 3pt shooters, an average one and a good one at his position. if thats not good spacing then there's like one single team in the entire nba with good spacing and only sometimes

e: and the thing about needing to switch and that making embiid impossible to play is still utter nonsense since the last page.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 31, 2018

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
But has anyone ever considered...

LeBron to the Knicks?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Probably Magic posted:

Are we really pretending like LeBron isn't going to do what Iverson couldn't and beat the Warriors completely by himself, like, every single point belongs to him, not assists, all the rebounds, etc., etc.?

He's gonna lead both teams in every category like he did the last 2-3 years

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ghost Dog posted:

are you ever right about anything? a lineup of JJ reddick, robert covington, lebron james, ben simmons and joel embiid would have 3pt shooters of 41%, 39%, 34%, 0% and 32%. how is that bad spacing? two great 3pt shooters, an average one and a good one at his position. if thats not good spacing then there's like one single team in the entire nba with good spacing and only sometimes

As much as I'd love to see LeBron in Philly, I'm just just seeing it happening, especially with this shitstorm going on right now

(Simmons dating Kendall Jenner)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TheKevman posted:

But the nebulous, chameleon front runners that comprise the group you talk about, Foochs, are always going to be there, regardless of franchise.

And I'm always - always - gonna hate them. Because it's never going to be my team

Papercut posted:

You'll have to forgive Warriors fans for not carefully tracking all of the myriad things you are annoyed by or indignant about.

The Hell he does

Cool Buff Man posted:

BEFORE the 2015-16 All-Star Game 3 Point Little Man Big Shooter Competition with Kevin Hart, over the course of his career Draymond Green shot

247 for 724, good for a decent if not spectacular 34.1% 3 point percentage

AFTER the 2015-16 All-Star Game 3 Point Little Man Big Shooter Competition with Kevin Hart, Draymond has shot

191 for 615, good for a now terrible, no good, very bad 31% !!!

Kevin Hart sucked his soul!

This makes it very easy to determine the most basic of measures of certainty - a standard deviation and some reasonable confidence intervals.

A quick and dirty analysis of his pre Kevin Hart numbers using the adjusted Wald calculation reveals we can be 95% certain his "real" 3pt% is between .3075 and .3765 - not very useful! If we accept a lower level of confidence - let's go with 70% on a purely arbitrary basis - then we can say he's between a .3231 and a .3596 shooter. His single likeliest shooting value on a functionally infinite timeline is .3416.This is helpful because it means we can be somewhat sure he's an above average shooter, but not by much. He was ok. He was slightly good.

After Kevin Hart beat him in a totally fair, reasonable, and accurate contest which cannot in any way be questioned or mitigated...

we can be 95% sure he's between a .2753 and a .3482 shooter, and 70% confident he's between a .2916 and a .3302 shooter. His likeliest single long term shooting percentage is a squalid .3112.

So in both directions, his likeliest value falls within the 95% confidence interval of the other sample, but outside the 70%. We have a pretty strong case to say he got genuinely worse after, but not an airtight case. I would personally feel good about those odds - I would bet money that post Kevin Hart Draymond is a really and genuinely worse 3pt shooter, though we'll never know if losing to an irritating midget in a contest that doesn't simulate real in game 3 point shooting is why.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DeimosRising posted:

This makes it very easy to determine the most basic of measures of certainty - a standard deviation and some reasonable confidence intervals.

A quick and dirty analysis of his pre Kevin Hart numbers using the adjusted Wald calculation reveals we can be 95% certain his "real" 3pt% is between .3075 and .3765 - not very useful! If we accept a lower level of confidence - let's go with 70% on a purely arbitrary basis - then we can say he's between a .3231 and a .3596 shooter. His single likeliest shooting value on a functionally infinite timeline is .3416.This is helpful because it means we can be somewhat sure he's an above average shooter, but not by much. He was ok. He was slightly good.

After Kevin Hart beat him in a totally fair, reasonable, and accurate contest which cannot in any way be questioned or mitigated...

we can be 95% sure he's between a .2753 and a .3482 shooter, and 70% confident he's between a .2916 and a .3302 shooter. His likeliest single long term shooting percentage is a squalid .3112.

So in both directions, his likeliest value falls within the 95% confidence interval of the other sample, but outside the 70%. We have a pretty strong case to say he got genuinely worse after, but not an airtight case. I would personally feel good about those odds - I would bet money that post Kevin Hart Draymond is a really and genuinely worse 3pt shooter, though we'll never know if losing to an irritating midget in a contest that doesn't simulate real in game 3 point shooting is why.

This is beautiful, thank you Deimos. Now, because we'll never know for sure, might I suggest my favorite tiebreaker (very scientific) - "which version is funnier to believe?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If LeBron wins somehow I want all statues and depictions of Michael Jordan melted down into a throne for the GOAT to sit upon and also they castrate Kobe because...c'mon.
KD's Next Chapter? Being cool again in Cleveland 😎 KD + LeBron mutilate Boston every year and match up against whoever is strongest in the West.
Amen!

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

It'll probably be a few years if/before they match up but Boston could theoretically start 5 40% three point shooters while keeping up an elite defense next year, I'm interested to see how that's gonna turn out

Agree, this would be cool and interesting to see. The 3 point shooting doesn't even really matter though. Boston's defense was scary good.

What was the consensus on Kyrie? I rememebr pre injury people were talking about how he was playing defense, possibly at an elite level? Was that right? Sadly, I didn't see many Celtics games earlier other than Gordon Hayward blowing up his ankle which made me want to scrub my eyes with bleach.

The rockets just gave the blueprint for the rest of the NBA. Beat the poo poo out of the Warriors physically on both ends and shoot maybe 4/27 from 3 and they die.

Also, don't have your starting PG blow up his hamstring in game 5.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 31, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

in 2016 i was fully melting down in chats with aggro dumbo about TT getting minutes over clearly superior player timofey mozgov

He was really good before the Warriors shredded his knee. Guys who get hurt and then get paid always get pilloried by fans as if it's their fault that the team paid them money. I hope Timofey is enjoying Brooklyn and buying WEAPONS and TACTICAL CLOTHING

He would have diminished naturally as the NBA figured out verticality, but he could screen and he had nice touch as a rim runner

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 31, 2018

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

TheKevman posted:

Agree, this would be cool and interesting to see. The 3 point shooting doesn't even really matter though. Boston's defense was scary good.

What was the consensus on Kyrie? I rememebr pre injury people were talking about how he was playing defense, possibly at an elite level? Was that right? Sadly, I didn't see many Celtics games earlier other than Gordon Hayward blowing up his ankle which made me want to scrub my eyes with bleach.

The rockets just gave the blueprint for the rest of the NBA. Beat the poo poo out of the Warriors physically on both ends and shoot maybe 4/27 from 3 and they die.

Also, don't have your starting PG blow up his hamstring in game 5.

Kyrie was having a career year offensively / advanced metrics wise until he went down. As far as defense, he definitely wasn't elite or anything, but he also wasn't anywhere near IT scrub tier defense like he had previously had been. He's pretty easy to hide on defense and that's good enough for a PG

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Kyrie was having a career year offensively / advanced metrics wise until he went down. As far as defense, he definitely wasn't elite or anything, but he also wasn't anywhere near IT scrub tier defense like he had previously had been. He's pretty easy to hide on defense and that's good enough for a PG

So essentially he offsets Steph at a minimum. That's kind of a big deal. I rememebr seeing his offense was awesome but I felt like I heard people crying about the fact that he didn't play defense in Cleveland but now he was. Interesting.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
jordan clarkson played 76 minutes against the celtics and had 0 assists. Literally every Cavs player who played had more assists than him. That includes Cedi Osman and Ante Zizic

edit: In those 76 minutes he also shot 13/43 for a cool TS% of 38.0

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 31, 2018

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

JesusSinfulHands posted:

jordan clarkson played 76 minutes against the celtics and had 0 assists. Literally every Cavs player who played had more assists than him. That includes Cedi Osman and Ante Zizic

edit: In those 76 minutes he also shot 13/43 for a cool TS% of 38.0

He'll rebound against the dubs. He always gets them for whatever reason.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yo 9 and 8 Pm start times are some bullshit NBA.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

It’s going to be interesting to see what Stevens does rotation wise next year, because that defense was really loving great, and I think you’re going to want to have that sort of lineup (no Kyrie/Hayward) our there for some minutes to get stops.

Or maybe it won’t matter and they’ll be ridiculous defensively all game anyway because Brad is a wizard.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Hayward is pretty decent defensively and if his ankle bounces back can guard most teams 2-4, so I don't think he is easy to exploit on switches. If he's a starter I'd assume he'd take Brown's spot, or they'd play Tatum, Brown, and Hayward together for a 6'8" tapestry. Hayward should be really easy to fit in.

Kyrie won't hurt the defense much, he was working fine in Brad's system.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Irving, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Horford is an excellent starting five. Well suited to the modern NBA. If the young ones make progress over the summer, Golden State better watch out.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bigass Moth posted:

Yo 9 and 8 Pm start times are some bullshit NBA.

I have to get up at 7 for work at 9PM starts are killing me cause I'm a baby who likes sleep.

I miss living MST. Best timezone for watching sports after work. Live sports from 5/5:30 to 11. Real easy to get degenerately addicted to a screen without even interrupting your normal schedule.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I know this isn't the NFL thread but I'm scared to go there. I'm British. Do normal Americans care about the anthem? Like if I didn't stand while it was being sung and I'm just sitting in the stands playing candy crush is someone gonna call me out?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

I know this isn't the NFL thread but I'm scared to go there. I'm British. Do normal Americans care about the anthem? Like if I didn't stand while it was being sung and I'm just sitting in the stands playing candy crush is someone gonna call me out?

No, the people who are mad about this are not mad because of “disrespecting the anthem” they are mad because they are racist hth

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Paul Zuvella posted:

No, the people who are mad about this are not mad because of “disrespecting the anthem” they are mad because they are racist hth

I mean it's not ONLY because they're racist, it's because they're racist and black people are complaining about racist people killing black people.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Quizzlefish posted:

Some people would probably get bent out of shape over it. Just stand for the anthem, it's not long. I would stand for another country's anthem, just out of respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Not standing for the anthem will get you shot. Standing for the anthem will get you shot. Not eating your required 3,500 calorie burrito will get you shot. Being the wrong shade of color and doing something that could possibly one day lead to a petty crime will get you shot.

Don't come to America, it's a silly place.

• Locked thread