Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TV Zombie posted:

So what does everyone think? A good ending to the series? A bad ending?

Totally worth it for that scene in the garage alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

TV Zombie posted:

So what does everyone think? A good ending to the series? A bad ending?

A good ending. The garage scene alone as it was the culmination of everything. I think everyone is a little too used to Breaking Bad style endings with guns blazing and everyone dying. The show ended in the most realistic way it could while still basically loving everyone up for life.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I still need time to process everything but my initial reaction: I loved the story even if I am a little annoyed so much was left unresolved.

I might vote the writers are going to Hell for leaving Renee’s identity up in the air. It’s probably going into fan fiction territory, but I imagine Stan can use what he learned up the Jennings pulling the wool over his eyes to tell if Renee is a Russian plant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How much is really left unresolved? We don't get to see the rest of Paige's life? Renee being ambiguous?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
e: nm

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 31, 2018

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

phosdex posted:

Laughing thinking about Phil's last line to his best friend just sowed doubt about his wife.

Was it just me? Or was there kind of a twisted smirk on Philip’s face right after he said that to Stan..as if to say “Not only are you going to let me go to my car, but I’m gonna gently caress with you just a little more for the hell of it”.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That finale was kinda poo poo tbqh. The only good scene was the underground garage confrontation. I wasn't expecting a giant bloodbath or anything, but this was just :geno: Considering how good the last few episodes were, this just kinda whimpered out.

beanieson posted:

lmao Stan is gonna drive up to Henry’s school to intercept them there, and they just never show up to get him.

This would have been perfect.

beanieson posted:

So what’s was the moment the show runners are going to hell for

This lame unsatisfying ending.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Henchman of Santa posted:

How much is really left unresolved? We don't get to see the rest of Paige's life? Renee being ambiguous?

They could go the Graphic Novel route like Jericho.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not sure Philip and Liz's story really needed anything more. They've returned home, together. We can pull in the real world and say they succeeded in notifying the right people to make sure the nuclear arms summit went well. START, the episode title, was the name of the disarmament treaty the us and ussr signed.

We're told Oleg will do a long prison sentence. Stan will doubt his wife, like he did Nina. Henry will just be Henry. Paige I guess is pretty open for possibilities.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I suppose it's farewell to the show and the thread. My final thought. As a father of 2, everything related to leaving a kid behind hurt, until I couldn't even contain myself when P & E were discussing the kids in Russia. I now know that I am not capable of making that decision, because I watched two people pretend to make that decision and it destroyed me.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
That’s a great call “pretend” discusses getting the kids out, especially in light of Elizabeth’s dream/flashback with Gregory

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 31, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I suppose it's farewell to the show and the thread. My final thought. As a father of 2, everything related to leaving a kid behind hurt, until I couldn't even contain myself when P & E were discussing the kids in Russia. I now know that I am not capable of making that decision, because I watched two people pretend to make that decision and it destroyed me.

It's not like they can't call the kids from Russia and they could visit them in the future if they wanted to... Did you get the feeling that they just never communicate again?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That was a goddamn fantastic finale. The parking garage scene :stare: My only quibble is with what ends up happening with Paige but I'd assume she could just throw her spy parents way under the bus.

again, that parking garage scene, give Matthew Rhys and Noah Emmerich all the awards.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Very good finale. Really did not expect the way most characters ended up but it felt true to the series. Very heart wrenching.

I have a pretty high tolerance for ambiguity in endings so I liked how the finale left so much open to your imagination. They could see their children again once the Cold War ends. Phillip could see his son and Martha again. Stan could choose to fully live in the lie of his ignorance of the Jennings and decide to just be with Renee too, no matter who she really is (she's totally a spy). Paige could plausibly live freely in the US without admitting anything if Stan is keeping quiet or she fesses up. Oleg could eventually be traded or get out and be seen as a hero for attempting to save Gorbachev, etc. Henry gonna be playing hockey though, that's confirmed.

Anyway, a truly great show all in all. Excellent acting and writing. Always consistent except for Season 5, which was nearly pointless even if it did have good moments. Many scenes and difficult character decisions that will stick with me. It never looked liked a great show - always muted colours, not much dynamic directing (although I suppose that was a choice). I'll miss it!

The main actors all deserve Emmys for this season but goddamn, Keri Russell had better win it. She was exceptional.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That finale was kinda poo poo tbqh. The only good scene was the underground garage confrontation. I wasn't expecting a giant bloodbath or anything, but this was just :geno: Considering how good the last few episodes were, this just kinda whimpered out.

This would have been perfect.

This lame unsatisfying ending.

It was :geno: because that's all it had to be. Phillip and Elizabeth are proven great spies, who were trained in last minute extraction. They continued to be good spies, and got out. It probably would've made less sense if there was some sort of fatal error and shoot out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I like the anti-climax.

Stan v. Philip? Climactic. Relationships, etc.

Cover v. discovery? Anti-Climax. Security is a daily practice. A leaky faucet requiring constant maintenance. poo poo happened, they ran. ~Fin~

Perfect!

fake: Uncle Stan & Henry :unsmith:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bye, you're a wife's a spy also please take care of my loser son, thanks so much!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
gently caress, how am I supposed to sleep after that.

It took about a half hour to sink in, but I loved it. Not at all what I expected, but it felt true to the show.

I think the moment Stan decided to let them go was when they confirmed what Oleg was also telling him. (Or maybe Paige telling him Henry will need him.) And I loved the depth of that scene - simultaneously opening up to Stan with genuine honesty, while also playing him like a flute, lying, and telling him exactly what he needed to hear.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I was so sure Elizabeth was gonna get busted at Canadian border control. I could swear one of the pics the officer was looking at was a dead ringer for her disguise at the time.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

mr. unhsib posted:

I think the likeliest outcome is no deaths, just broken lives.

Also predicting a multi-decade flash-forward at the end of the episode.

Ugh, I wish I'd left the 2nd sentence out. Man, everyone got left in a bad place: The Jennings, Paige, Stan, Henry, Oleg, Oleg's Dad, Arkady...

phosdex posted:

I'm not sure Philip and Liz's story really needed anything more. They've returned home, together. We can pull in the real world and say they succeeded in notifying the right people to make sure the nuclear arms summit went well. START, the episode title, was the name of the disarmament treaty the us and ussr signed.

We're told Oleg will do a long prison sentence. Stan will doubt his wife, like he did Nina. Henry will just be Henry. Paige I guess is pretty open for possibilities.

I mean, there are a lot of threads that can be picked up. Philip can reconnect with his Russian son, or even Martha. Paige's future is an open book. Elizabeth is going to have to deal with the USSR collapsing soon, and may regret her actions to support Gorbachev. Though it may mean they can see the kids again.

When the series started I remember thinking that more than anything I wanted to see Elizabeth experience the fall of communism. We didn't get that but I was still pretty satisfied with the ending. Never saw another show quite like it, and I don't think I ever will.

Oh, and they played the Renee thing perfectly. A definitive reveal would have been pointless, but leaving her to ambiguously poison Stan's future was effective.

Everyone's talking about the garage scene, and it was great, but the final scene is what will stick with me.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 31, 2018

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I was so sure Elizabeth was gonna get busted at Canadian border control. I could swear one of the pics the officer was looking at was a dead ringer for her disguise at the time.

It was but the dude was an idiot. They lucked out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nichael posted:

It was but the dude was an idiot. They lucked out.
If it had been the same officer looking at both of them, it would have been over.

But yeah I was expecting them to maybe catch Paige. Did not expect her to voluntarily leave, though.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Matthew Rhys is going to lose the Emmy.

To Mail Robot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

If it had been the same officer looking at both of them, it would have been over.

But yeah I was expecting them to maybe catch Paige. Did not expect her to voluntarily leave, though.

Yeah, I was expecting the border patrol to ask for her ID, and she'd just *look* guilty, flip out, and run.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

wukkar posted:

Matthew Rhys is going to lose the Emmy.

To Mail Robot.

Good, Mail Robot deserves it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
U2 was a lock but Brothers in Arms was a pretty deep cut (and Dire Straits was my favorite band in 1988!)

I'm pretty happy with it. I was prepared for this to happen, I thought it was pretty likely they'd end without any big action scenes or deaths or any closure at all really. We got to see that Stan and Philip were really just two guys doing their jobs and they would have been friends no matter what. We got to see Liz and Phil come back together and survive, extremely ambiguously. But I have to think that Arkady being the one to pick them up suggests that Gorbachev got the memo that these two pretty much single-handedly outed a plot to depose him so they're probably going to have Oleg-level cushy jobs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I would've loved to have seen an epilogue from 20 years later where Liz is a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or something and Phil is selling tuxedos and sports cars to rich teenagers at 2 in the morning somewhere in Moscow.

And where Paige, now a seasoned veteran spook, is working some marks at a churro stand in Epcot Center.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

precision posted:

U2 was a lock but Brothers in Arms was a pretty deep cut (and Dire Straits was my favorite band in 1988!)

I'm pretty happy with it. I was prepared for this to happen, I thought it was pretty likely they'd end without any big action scenes or deaths or any closure at all really. We got to see that Stan and Philip were really just two guys doing their jobs and they would have been friends no matter what. We got to see Liz and Phil come back together and survive, extremely ambiguously. But I have to think that Arkady being the one to pick them up suggests that Gorbachev got the memo that these two pretty much single-handedly outed a plot to depose him so they're probably going to have Oleg-level cushy jobs.

Yeah, I think the two of them will have a comfortable life in Moscow. Which is kind of hosed up when you consider that they're both serial killers, but :matters:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nichael posted:

It was :geno: because that's all it had to be. Phillip and Elizabeth are proven great spies, who were trained in last minute extraction. They continued to be good spies, and got out. It probably would've made less sense if there was some sort of fatal error and shoot out.

My counterpoint would be what happened with Martha. Phil and Liz did their job with her and got her out. The scene with her leaving in the plane could've been the last one we saw of her. The show could have left us wondering if she was actually taken to Russia or if the pilot just put a bullet in her head after landing in Cuba. But instead the writers showed us that she was living in Russia and got a kid. It didn't need to give us closure on what happened to her, but it did and it was much better for it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I liked it. It wasn't an overly dramatic ending (except the reveal to stan) and it served well as an end to the show after 6 years.

The only problem I had is the fact that Paige should have been bawling her eyes out from the moment they got into the car and drove past Stan all the way to the McDonalds, unable to say goodbye to Henry because she was crying.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Third best, loved how West Wing used it.

This is the correct and factual answer.

The split second the song started, I saw Bartlett put his hands in his pockets and Leo McGarry said "watch this..."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 31, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So we dont know why Philip was getting fitted for a suit a week(2?) ago? Seems like a weird scene to add for no reason.

Also I thought for sure Philip was gonna stay behind and do the "stay back a year to try and see Henry plan" after he saw the family in McDonalds.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The suit was retail therapy. He was feeling like poo poo so he bought some nice clothes and went line dancing.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
My biggest takeaway from tonight is what a lovely FBI agent Stan is.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

misdirectomy posted:

My biggest takeaway from tonight is what a lovely FBI agent Stan is.

Yeah, if I were in Stan's shoes in that garage, I'd have made the price for letting them go that either Phil or Liz stayed behind.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When Phillip was looking out the window of McDonald’s I briefly thought Elizabeth had driven off

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Lol if that wasn't some contrived McDonald's product placement.

That aside, loving drat good compact, succinct ending. As much as parts of me wanted some grandiose montage tracking the characters watching the collapse of the Soviet Union, solumn, subdued closure, or lack thereof, is a better sendoff given the overall driving force of the show. To hell with scenes with Keri Russell popping veins in pent up rage; that look of shock as the train is leaving the platform blows them out of the water.

Side note:
Although it was trite as hell and probably lost on half the audience, I loved the ending shot from Vorobevy Gory. If you haven't been, it's the de facto standard scenic touristy overlook of the Moscow skyline. Phillip and Elizabeth are standing at the point below/south of the river in this shot. The angle shown distorts the difference in elevation and distance between it and the riverbank/Luzhniki Stadium, but whatever, it's a beautiful place:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I can't believe it turned out Philip and Elizabeth were the Americans all along.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As long as none of the fuckers who wanted to see Elizabeth watch "communism crumbling" get their cookie I'm happy.

I also want Oleg to be okay.

I got one of the two things I wanted the most, I proclaim myself satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That was perfect. Honestly. I just finished it and I don't have much to say r/n beyond it being p much everything I could have wanted, and more.

Also

esperterra posted:

I hope I won't have to suffer thru Bono.

I cursed myself :(

• Locked thread