Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Trastion posted:

You should have reported her for retail fraud. Those cards were probably all stolen or re-coded with stolen details.

I'd love to but I don't know their name, and they were standing near me the whole time so I couldn't slink away to call anyone. Plus my store doesn't supply us any contact info for places to report that.

So the boss printed out a page with an example story on a pissed off customer from corporate.

It was titled "Vicky's vital trip" (which come the gently caress on, if you're going to alliterate, go the full way "Vicky's vital visit"). Basically the story goes that a mother who lives on a farm way out of town can only visit our chain (at 30 minutes away) or another store (an hour and a half away), and her son is having a baseball game at the same time. So she comes to our store, but 8 sale items are out of stock, so she goes to get help, but the two employees are busy with 1) the register & 2) the phone, so she has to wait 15 minutes to get help. Then when she gets the help, it's basically to be told "we ain't got it" and she has to go to the other store, and misses her son's game.

Corporate wants to know what we, the store staff could do to solve this issue. They try to give examples about better stocking, showing customers alternatives, etc...

Except... the story and policy counter everything we can do.

1) Vicky should probably not go to the store when she has other obligations.
2) We don't control our stock, it's automated. So if something was on sale, and sold out, the computer hosed up in getting us enough stock
3) We can't up sell, nor can we recommend alternatives when we're too busy with other customers. Dude at the register: helping other customers, dude on phone: helping customers. So that falls under corporate needing to stop being cheap and providing more hours for more employees so customers don't have to wait
4) we don't have the problem of being the only store around, there is actually another general type store in the same parking lot as us.

Every employee in that store was doing what they could, there was nothing we could do to help her, that wouldn't be impossible like "invent a cloning machine and time machine, so we could clone ourselves then go back in time to greet her at the door with exactly what she needed before she got there, also we already wrote down her CC info and manually typed it in, so she doesn't need to pay, and we pre-watched the out come of her son's game and snapped the necks of the best playes on the other team."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Sorry for the double post, but

Pentaghastly posted:

I hate my job and its cringe "values" and "missions"

Business' that push values and missions while doing everything to actively gently caress over every worker is just the most aggrivating thing.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Corporate wants you to break corporate policy and physics in order to maintain their policy on customer service.

Please report all breaches of corporate dimensional policy to 1-800-284-8548.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey, rant away, that’s a big part of this thread.

I’m sure you know you need to get out at some point. Not sure if you posted here or not, so sorry if this is a repeat question, but do you have a longer term goal you’re working towards?

There are better paying and valued jobs that you can qualify for and get rewarded better for your effort. They’re harder to find, and it just takes s lot of time to job search and network while also working full time, but they are there.

I only want to be promoted so I can show on my resume "hey, I can stick with something" and it can overshadow how frequently I used to job hop when I was younger and dumber and also to have experience in a supervisory role.I haven't even considered, like, long term career prospects at all. Kinda sad but mostly right now I'm just trying to pay my bills and save money so I can go back to school but before I do that I need to have an idea of what I want to do.

Starbucks does have a tuition reimbursement plan for Arizona State University which I can do online. Its just a matter of me saving the money initially and figuring my poo poo out.

Anyway, people were extra lovely tonight and I'm not entirely sure why. Had one customer say "what the gently caress ever, good bye" and speed off when I told him that our hot passion fruit tea was discontinued.

A teenage girl tried it with me when she said she had a birthday reward but the partner on register wouldn't use it. Turns out she thought that just because she had the starbucks app it meant she got a free drink on her birthday. No, you have to make at least one purchase a year to qualify. You dont just get free poo poo on your birthday.

I felt bad but there's no better time than now to learn that you don't deserve loving squat just because its your birthday

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I covered a short shift in the middle of a week day, something I haven't done in years and learned (or rather re-learned some things)

a) 3 hours is a good length
b) this job is much worse when you and your entire customer base should be in bed
c) the same saddos who visit me more than once a night also find the time to turn up during the day. jfc people.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: or learn/get licensed to drive a forklift. Then you can get a warehouse job where you'll be constantly hounded by your boss to go FASTER FASTER FASTER GODDAMMIT until you dream of locking every manager in the company in a barn and torching it, but at least you'll be paid like $12/hr and won't end up hating everyone in the entire world, just your managers.

Did someone say "forklift" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChOHnSL7ZCg

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pentaghastly posted:

I only want to be promoted so I can show on my resume "hey, I can stick with something" and it can overshadow how frequently I used to job hop when I was younger and dumber and also to have experience in a supervisory role.I haven't even considered, like, long term career prospects at all. Kinda sad but mostly right now I'm just trying to pay my bills and save money so I can go back to school but before I do that I need to have an idea of what I want to do.

What are you good at? What energizes you?

I realize from experience that it's not just idle bullshitting when we call retail jobs soul-sucking. Slaving away at a lovely retail job slowly, steadily drains you of your ability to enjoy anything and it's exactly why it's so toxic and you should get away from it ASAP. So if you can't answer the above questions, maybe try to remember what you used to enjoy and be energized by, before your lovely retail job made you hate everyone and everything.

(Another benefit of a menial labor job over a retail job is it gives you time to think while you work, not being interrupted by an rear end in a top hat every 4 seconds)

Also not to make you feel even worse but you are probably never going to be promoted by your current employer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

1:55 triggers me. YOU DON'T ENTER DOORWAYS FORKS FIRST

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The thing about forklifts is they weigh a LOT more than you think--that's how they're able to pick up heavy pallets without tipping over. A bog standard forklift usually weighs around 12,000 to 14,000 pounds. That's 4-5 times the weight of a Honda Accord, which means getting hit by a forklift going 5MPH is like getting hit by a Honda Accord going 20-25MPH. And in a major warehouse forklifts are frequently zooming around at 10+MPH.

Too many forklift operators operate them in dangerously stupid ways. And too many warehouse operators demand too much hourly productivity from their forklift operators which basically forces them to operate their forklifts recklessly.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also not to make you feel even worse but you are probably never going to be promoted by your current employer.

Yeah, you're probably right

I like being up and moving for 8 hours a day and I feel better physically, believe it or not, since I started working here. So, active jobs with no customer interactions? I do worry that most fields like that are male-dominated if we're talking manual labor. Maybe nursing, I am squeamish but I know nurses eventually get used to blood and barf so I wont count that possibility out. And patients are technically your customers.

Maybe I'll see if any plant nurseries are hiring. That sounds fun :unsmith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nursing is probably the only job in the world that will make you pine away for the good old days of working at Starbucks

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nursing is probably the only job in the world that will make you pine away for the good old days of working at Starbucks

Job security and decent enough pay though. Something I've thought about, putting in the effort and becoming an actual nurse, not a "nurse".

I'm not great at math though. Not sure how I'd fair.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, nursing and CDL truck driving are the two jobs that you will never ever have an unemployment problem. You'll just have a hating your job so much you'll either completely lose your will to live or have a psychotic episode problem. They pay way better than retail but there are very good reasons why there are never enough nurses: between the level of abuse of employees by employers (which is so high even most retail businesses would be embarrassed by it) and having to constantly be witness if not party to abuse of old people by your employer, and spending all day every day working with people who all-consumingly hate the entire world and will take it out on the nearest person, i.e., you, the burnout rate is horrific, surpassed only by social work.

Don't go into nursing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Uh, maybe talk to some actual nurses about it though because there are murders pout there that love their jobs and a lot more who feel adequately compensated and therefore can deal with it. Imagine if you were paid 70k a year instead of whatever minimum wage is in your state. Would you feel more appreciated?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Yeah, you're probably right

I like being up and moving for 8 hours a day and I feel better physically, believe it or not, since I started working here. So, active jobs with no customer interactions? I do worry that most fields like that are male-dominated if we're talking manual labor. Maybe nursing, I am squeamish but I know nurses eventually get used to blood and barf so I wont count that possibility out. And patients are technically your customers.

Maybe I'll see if any plant nurseries are hiring. That sounds fun :unsmith:

It’s declining a bit, but cell phone sales, even at a franchise , pays better than Starbucks, and it is easy to move into assistant manager at the least if you want management experience. And yeah, you interact with customers, but it isn’t near as bad as I’m sure Starbucks is.

And trust me, anyone with a service background can do a little bit of sales, do well, and not have to be super scummy either. Female employees are always in demand as well since it is more male, but they want a balance.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I personally know at least 20 people who are or were nurses. (I mean, doesn't everyone? It's one of the biggest and fastest growing fields in the world.) Four or five of them have adapted to it well enough to make a career out of it and not totally hate their lives. The rest absolutely hate it but only a few have left it; the rest feel trapped forever because they invested so much time and money into entering nursing and know that, practically, they can't leave it because they can't afford to go back to $10/hr retail now.

If you really genuinely have a passion for helping ease the suffering of suffering people, by all means become a nurse. If you would just really like to have steady work at above-poverty-line income, nursing will provide it but you will hate your life, almost guaranteed. Based on the experience of numerous people I know, not just me pulling stuff out of my rear end.

Oh, and you'll need to be a high level nurse with plenty of experience to make $70K unless you're in a major city where all that buys you in a small two bedroom apartment. In the ruralish/small city area where I live an RN (much less LPN) starts at more like $50K. Still riches compared to an irregular $10/hr, granted. And, granted, if you already hate your life at an irregular $10/hr then you might as well hate your life for a regular $20/hr. But what I'm saying is, hard as it is to believe, you will likely hate life even MORE as a nurse if you're just entering the field for the regular paycheck. And you'll have to go to school for a couple years while also continuing to work your lovely retail job, and probably go into significant debt in the process, just to enter the field.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 31, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, nursing and CDL truck driving are the two jobs that you will never ever have an unemployment problem. You'll just have a hating your job so much you'll either completely lose your will to live or have a psychotic episode problem. They pay way better than retail but there are very good reasons why there are never enough nurses: between the level of abuse of employees by employers (which is so high even most retail businesses would be embarrassed by it) and having to constantly be witness if not party to abuse of old people by your employer, and spending all day every day working with people who all-consumingly hate the entire world and will take it out on the nearest person, i.e., you, the burnout rate is horrific, surpassed only by social work.

Don't go into nursing.

I'm not exactly spoiled for choice in my area. At least a medical profession would be decent because there's a hospital not too far away and a community college with a nursing thing. It is one of those things that is both doable and not likely to get automated out of existence for a while, at least.

The fact that I'd be doing something vaguely beneficial to society and actually challenging instead of putting boxes on shelves is also appealing.

Trying to pick a profession/trade/whatever to pursue is a tremendous pain in the rear end because there are so many questions that need to be answered.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
My sister went from being a waitress to a radiology tech in a couple of years, and she seems pretty satisfied with it. She still helps people, but only under very specific circumstances, which I think helps. It's probably still miserable seeing patients that need radio treatment and whatnot, but it's probably not the all-encompassing human misery that regular nurses see. She got into a good program, and depending on your area, it's apparently more in demand than regular nurses.

That's my anecdotal story about medical professionals. Thanks.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't have a ton of compassion for people who can't cut it as a nurse.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
So, former retail worker currently about to graduate from a RN-BSN program in December. I entered nursing because I was sick of working retail, feeling like I'm not making a difference in the world, and wasting my potential. I also have a lot of family that works in the medical field so I wasn't going into it all starry-eyed. With the current healthcare reimbursement system, nursing is basically just retail at a higher training level and for higher pay. I use a lot of the same skills in handling patients as I did handling customers, and that's valuable to employers because so much of what we do is tied to HCAHPS scores (basically a customer satisfaction survey for healthcare run by CMS).

Some parts of it are better than others- for example I liked peds because the kids tend to be more compliant and respectful, and the ones that aren't don't have as much mass behind them when they hit you. Oh, did I mention that like 95% of the nursing profession reports being verbally or physically attacked while on the job at some time during their career? So there's that to consider too.

I'm going to give the standard advice of the goons in the medical professionals thread and say that if you're considering a move into healthcare start by getting your foot in the door with other things to see if that's what you'll actually want to do. Patient sitters and transport techs need only minimal training in BLS, or if you really want to get in the poop you can get trained as a CNA for fairly minimal expense (compared to nursing school anyway) and wipe asses for 8-12 hours a day for way better than what you'd get paid in retail.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Marchegiana posted:

So, former retail worker currently about to graduate from a RN-BSN program in December. I entered nursing because I was sick of working retail, feeling like I'm not making a difference in the world, and wasting my potential. I also have a lot of family that works in the medical field so I wasn't going into it all starry-eyed. With the current healthcare reimbursement system, nursing is basically just retail at a higher training level and for higher pay. I use a lot of the same skills in handling patients as I did handling customers, and that's valuable to employers because so much of what we do is tied to HCAHPS scores (basically a customer satisfaction survey for healthcare run by CMS).

Some parts of it are better than others- for example I liked peds because the kids tend to be more compliant and respectful, and the ones that aren't don't have as much mass behind them when they hit you. Oh, did I mention that like 95% of the nursing profession reports being verbally or physically attacked while on the job at some time during their career? So there's that to consider too.

I'm going to give the standard advice of the goons in the medical professionals thread and say that if you're considering a move into healthcare start by getting your foot in the door with other things to see if that's what you'll actually want to do. Patient sitters and transport techs need only minimal training in BLS, or if you really want to get in the poop you can get trained as a CNA for fairly minimal expense (compared to nursing school anyway) and wipe asses for 8-12 hours a day for way better than what you'd get paid in retail.

Pretty much every job everywhere involves cleaning up someone else's poo poo. Is just that sometimes it's literal poo poo you are cleaning up. .

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Those of you considering a move into healthcare should read the best thread (and especially Elise's effortposts)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Those of you considering a move into healthcare should read the best thread (and especially all of Elise's effortposts)

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I think about her DKA explanation literally all the time. It should be printed on a pamphlet

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I worked retail while in nursing school and the skills I acquired there certainly helped me with patient interactions now that I have the license. It is worth mentioning however that a lot of nursing school programs are incredibly difficult. I had a prior degree before I entered the nursing program and the upper level courses require more work and studying than almost any other undergraduate degree.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 2, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

It's really hard for me to gauge my own metrics when so much of my time is spent doing poo poo that other people should have done or poo poo that wasn't done because we don't have enough people.

Also I love pushing carts in the rain and then going to work in my deep freeze. It's bracing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I have a one hour pretty pointless cross over at work today, and it blows my mind how little the other guy gets done while I'm serving. The last two weeks he's done the same job (which was nowhere near needing to be done but whatever). As a little experiment I did those two things before he arrived and you'll be shocked to learn he did the same things and took just as long.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I'm scheduled at 4 to close today after being asked to come in early for the past 3 shifts.

"Ghastly, if youd like more hours feel free to come in at any time today! :)"

die

Edit: got called in at 3 so I could relieve the girl who's been here since 5am so she wouldn't go into overtime. I also cant wait to have 39.99 hours this week

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 3, 2018

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Guy: Where's your ibuprophen?

Me: In the medicine aisle

Guy: where's that?

Me: Straight ahead... (sigh and start going around the check out counter to show it to him)

Guy: okay. (he walks one step into the aisle, then turns) Oh, I got it at home, I have ibuprophen at home!

Me: Oh... okay...

I took a break after that, that was just the stupid straw that broke the camel's back of stupid today.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Spoke to a guy who moved to our store from across the country. He used to be a supervisor too. Listening to him talk about why he isn't one any more is like hearing my words come out of someone else's mouth.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
During my vacation week, no one called out sick or left early :toot:

My first day back yesterday, 2 call outs and a no call no show... :bang:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Let's make it a five day streak of someone asking me to come in early!!

The issue is all the youngins are done with school so theyre being scheduled during the day now, except none of them can bar so the shift is stuck making drinks or you've got someone who's 40% proficient or whatever and they're floundering and the store starts falling apart because the shift cant step off and do their thing and also theres no customer support so no milk is getting stocked, no trash is being taken out, dishes are piling

So you come in after agreeing to be there an hour early and you're in the 6th circle of hell and its the lunch rush and you only have two working headsets because the SM threw one down because he got mad and broke it, someone else dropped theirs and now the mouthpiece is broken off and nobody has called in to order new ones because this store is a loving dumpster fire and everybody is ordering paninis which take over a minute in the oven and itd be fine if POS had a headset and could put it in the oven when it was ordered at the speaker.

Also we're out of dark caramel sauce so every other order "unfortunately we're out of the sauce for the ultra caramel frappucino is there anything else I can make for you?" and god sometimes I wish I could just put a steam wand in my ear and pull the lever

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It’s astounding that so many retail employers don’t seem to understand the very basic fact that if you tolerate no shows or constant call offs, your whole staff will see that and immediately understand that, whatever bluster you may direct at them, working when scheduled is optional. You have to immediately fire people who don’t show up for work or you’ll end up short staffed on almost every shift.

But then I realize this is because they refuse to pay anything more than rock bottom wages, and you can’t hire nearly enough people for that price to staff a store. There are only so many Nerdys and Pentas and Anoras in a given city, who will tolerate being underpaid and mistreated and keep showing up day after day after day and do not just their own job but pretty much everyone else’s, because they suffer from a mental need to work hard no matter what. Co-workers laugh at them, managers take them for granted (because they are) and the store would be utterly, savagely hosed without them. (And that’s the exact reason they never get promoted: the store needs them working, not supervising.)

There seem to be enough of them that every store can have one or two of them. But that’s all.

e: It is half hilarious and half painful that Penta posted the above post while I was writing this :v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

To be fair, I am not exactly a paragon of retail. There are things I do not do. For instance, it is technically my responsibility to pour out all the dairy products that go out of date at the end of the night, so we can save two cents on dumpster fees. Or something.

I stopped doing this after a few months, mostly on the basis that literally pouring my time down the drain was too on the nose. I didn't say anything, didn't talk to my managers. I just decided that I had a lot of things that actually needed to get done, and this was a task that was getting cut.

Nobody has ever said anything about it, and I've been not doing it for a year.

I've started wondering about other things I could just not do, as everyone else seems to be busy not doing things. My freezer's full of product that should have been worked to the shelf, but wasn't. The people responsible just didn't do it. The managers know they didn't do it. The managers complain about them not doing things, but don't hold them accountable.

Thinking back to one of my first shifts as Freezerman, I remember filling up the egg case, something that seldom actually gets done. My manager saw me filling up not just the staple eggs, but the little half-dozen cases as well. He actually stopped, looked at me, and said, "You're doing the small ones too?!"

I looked back at him, mildly confused, and said, "It's... my job?"

That said, I absolutely loathe closing with the store manager, because she'll waste my time with bullshit minutia like "Mmmm, the labels on the yogurts aren't aligned."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its June, I'm in California, its hot. Do they make Dickies in lighter materials? I've got some major swamp crotch going on at work, so far my solution has been to go into the fridge, unzip my pants and just wiggle my lower body to get the heat out of there. Its gonna be awkward when a coworker walks in on me doing that.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

It’s astounding that so many retail employers don’t seem to understand the very basic fact that if you tolerate no shows or constant call offs, your whole staff will see that and immediately understand that, whatever bluster you may direct at them, working when scheduled is optional. You have to immediately fire people who don’t show up for work or you’ll end up short staffed on almost every shift.

But then I realize this is because they refuse to pay anything more than rock bottom wages, and you can’t hire nearly enough people for that price to staff a store. There are only so many Nerdys and Pentas and Anoras in a given city, who will tolerate being underpaid and mistreated and keep showing up day after day after day and do not just their own job but pretty much everyone else’s, because they suffer from a mental need to work hard no matter what. Co-workers laugh at them, managers take them for granted (because they are) and the store would be utterly, savagely hosed without them. (And that’s the exact reason they never get promoted: the store needs them working, not supervising.)

There seem to be enough of them that every store can have one or two of them. But that’s all.

e: It is half hilarious and half painful that Penta posted the above post while I was writing this :v:

Its also funny because I just spent the last four hours busting my rear end because my coworker was "having a bad day" and didnt want to be on bar. Literally watching her dawdle behind the register and text between customers while I'm running back and forth

And then I get to do dishes and run trash before I leave :)

But this isn't really a mental need to do work but more of a complete inability to say no and being a doormat

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

You really need to care less about your lovely job.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Zenithe posted:

You really need to care less about your lovely job.

you are incredibly right. it doesnt care about me at all

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pentaghastly posted:

Its also funny because I just spent the last four hours busting my rear end because my coworker was "having a bad day" and didnt want to be on bar. Literally watching her dawdle behind the register and text between customers while I'm running back and forth

And then I get to do dishes and run trash before I leave :)

But this isn't really a mental need to do work but more of a complete inability to say no and being a doormat

Have you considered giving less of a poo poo about your job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Its June, I'm in California, its hot. Do they make Dickies in lighter materials? I've got some major swamp crotch going on at work, so far my solution has been to go into the fridge, unzip my pants and just wiggle my lower body to get the heat out of there. Its gonna be awkward when a coworker walks in on me doing that.

Do you need Dickies specifically or will any khaki-colored fabric do? I scoured thrift stores until i found a thin pair of pants.