Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Saw this today. :ohdear:

Hopefully they'll expand the Canadian color options to the US too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If it got the 5 cylinder I may have to buy one for my daily.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My automotive ADHD is kicking in

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

The rumor I like on the vw boards is the R getting RS3 engine. That would be a car I would buy immediately.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time resisting that if they kept the pricing in line with the current generation R. I actually saw an RS3 today but the pussy driving it didn't make it make any noise at all :mad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Golf R400 isn't dead after all!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm torn between two FiSTs. One is a CPO 2016, in my preferred Kona Blue with all the options, just under 20k mileage, 19 out the door. The other would be a brand new 2017, orange on orange with everything but a sunroof. The dealer won't come down very far, best I've been able to get them to offer is 21.4 OTD. Blue is my favorite color, but jeez for not even 2500 more I can just get a new one.

Are either of these even remotely decent-ish deals?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

I'm torn between two FiSTs. One is a CPO 2016, in my preferred Kona Blue with all the options, just under 20k mileage, 19 out the door. The other would be a brand new 2017, orange on orange with everything but a sunroof. The dealer won't come down very far, best I've been able to get them to offer is 21.4 OTD. Blue is my favorite color, but jeez for not even 2500 more I can just get a new one.

Spend 50$ on a Mustang Club of America membership and get an X-Plan PIN.

We snagged a 2016 last year that had been languishing on their lot next to 17s with the 18s on the way for 19 and change OTD, brand new.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bentai posted:

Where are you located?

The new one isn't a horrible deal, all things considered, but 20 out the door would be better. But in the end, is it worth 1400 or so to you?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Lol that's a poo poo deal I got my FoST for 20.5 out the door.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So I assume the RS3 is getting more power, too? I can't imagine VAG wants the golf to eat its lunch.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 1, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bentai posted:

hey you know what else was torn between two fists? :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

BraveUlysses posted:

hey you know what else was torn between two fists? :v:

:golfclap:

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
How do dealers sell cars they don’t let people test drive?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Summit posted:

How do dealers sell cars they don’t let people test drive?

Rarity, perceived or real.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Took my wife and the dog to the coast this week. There were a few awesome roads along the way, with the north most leg of OR 47 (Mist-Clatskanie hwy) being a gem. It’s like 12 miles of near perfect pavement going up/down about 800ft of elevation. Both on the trip in and out of OR it was completely deserted and reminded me of why I got this car in the first place. Helped take the edge off the freeway slog to get there.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 1, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Rarity, perceived or real.

This drives me nuts. I wanted to test drive a WRX (not even an STI) and called a dealer to make sure they were cool with me test driving. But when I got there the sales person claimed that they don't let anyone test drive WRXs because they're so rare/special/whatever. They had 6 of them sitting on the lot. Eventually the sales manager let me test drive one but they acted as though it was a very special favor.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
And here I was wandering into a VW dealership in 2013, test driving a Golf R they had there without issue, saying I would be back, and showing up a month later to buy a different R.

Then later I went to the Fiat dealership (in the Golf R, shopping the Fiat for my wife) and the dude wouldn't let me test drive a 500 Abarth and I legitimately laughed and pointed at the new Golf R sitting there. He then said something like "How would you feel if your new car had been test driven?" and I said back "I would expect it"

Basically dealerships are scum and the people working there are at best idiots and at worst also scum :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i get it though, every single dealership has inevitably had at least one car taken out for a test drive and wrecked

but no matter what, gently caress car salesmen

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
that is what they pay insurance for

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
What’s crazy about all this to me is that back when I was younger, like just out of HS I used to go around to dealers on the weekends and test drive poo poo like the STi, Evo, SRT-4 and what have you. Never really got a hard time about it either. And the Subaru dealer even pointed me towards the nearest dirt road.

Maybe because this was when the only requirement to get a loan was to not poo poo yourself in the finance office, and they figured I’d go all young and dumb and sign some papers? I dunno.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
They’d stop doing it pretty fast if no one would buy the car because of it. The fact that it’s a thing means there’s people out there buying cars without driving them. I find this very strange.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I met a couple in their mid-60's today who owned a pair of FiSTs as their DDs. One black and one white. Both modified. :v:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KillHour posted:

So I assume the RS3 is getting more power, too? I can't imagine VAG wants the golf to eat its lunch.

Perceived value of pleb hatchback vs. hot luxury sedan? The S3 and Golf R are already basically the same thing.

I don't care what badge is on the front, the RS3 drivetrain in a hatchback is something I would very much like to have.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

iwentdoodie posted:

Where are you located?

The new one isn't a horrible deal, all things considered, but 20 out the door would be better. But in the end, is it worth 1400 or so to you?
In Las Vegas. The two big advantages to buying new would be a new car, and I suppose that Octane Academy thing. I still don't know if it's worth it, but the responses here show that I should seriously consider walking away if they won't budge any further. Thanks. :D

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Perceived value of pleb hatchback vs. hot luxury sedan? The S3 and Golf R are already basically the same thing.

I don't care what badge is on the front, the RS3 drivetrain in a hatchback is something I would very much like to have.

They already have an RS3 sportback. They just need to bring it to the US.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a tuning for idiots doc or something I should read? The dealership mentioned one and I’m vaguely curious how bad of an idea it might be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BraveUlysses posted:

i get it though, every single dealership has inevitably had at least one car taken out for a test drive and wrecked

but no matter what, gently caress car salesmen

To be fair, the one time that almost happened to me, it was the stupid loving BMW salesman who didn't understand what water on the road does to traction trying to show off their poo poo, overpriced garbage car for morons.

In other news, I rented an F-150 today because they didn't have a normal car and they gave me a discount over the "standard car" price to cover gas :v: It was acceptable, but I don't know why anyone would put themselves through the bullshit of driving something that size if they don't need it for work or whatever.

And I nearly made it through an entire day of driving an automatic without doing an accidental panic stop by left-foot braking when I meant to hit the non-existent clutch. But not quite.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 3, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Quiet a few years ago my younger brother reserved a 'Mazda 6 or similar' and got a 'free upgrade' to a full sized SUV of some description (I think it was an Expedition)

The rental company just couldn't see how anyone could be upset with such an awesome 'upgrade' and definitely didn't offer any sort of discount.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It was a lot better than the Nissan Sentra I got one time. That thing was platonic ideal of sadness transformed into automotive form, and the CVT was such a hateful piece of poo poo the engineers who fashioned it should be publicly flogged.

Anyone who buys one new should be screened for severe mental illness.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

PT6A posted:

Anyone who buys one new should be screened for severe mental illness.

Or even worse, a healthy case of severe poorness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

Or even worse, a healthy case of severe poorness.

That’s why I specified “new.” If a used Sentra is all you can find/afford that’s one thing. But I refuse to believe you can’t find anything less bad for the money a new one would cost, especially knowing you’ll eat the depreciation.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nevermind

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 3, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

It was a lot better than the Nissan Sentra I got one time.

Could be worse - I once got a Fiat Punto with the 'automatic' gearbox (a single clutch automated manual). 57 wheezy Italian kilowatts combined with transmission make even the worst CVT-equipped Nissan feel like some sort of cross between a Bentley and an F1 car.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I hate specifically requesting manual hire cars (because hey if I’m going to drive some econobox POS while interstate for work I want it to be engaging in SOME way) and rocking up to the counter to be cheerfully told “we upgraded you to an auto!” :downs:

I also once got a large Mitsubishi SUV instead of the compact I requested, for a series of work visits to customers in a metropolitan area. This was not long after getting the FiST, so it was a rude shock after becoming accustomed to my little go-kart, to say the least.

In other news, I just landed a significantly better-paying job which I feel really has great long-term prospects, and I find myself having lustful thoughts of replacing my FiST with a FoRS. :ohdear:

Has anyone else gone from FiST to FORS and if so did you miss the tiny size and weight of the FiST?

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 3, 2018

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Keep the FiST for modifying, buy the (used) rs for fun as gently caress stock shenanigans.

Sell the rs the second you make more torque with the FiST and don't immediately shred the clutch or tires with it.

Enjoy life with your soon to be unreliable race car.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Keep the FiST for modifying, buy the (used) rs for fun as gently caress stock shenanigans.

Sell the rs the second you make more torque with the FiST and don't immediately shred the clutch or tires with it.

Enjoy life with your soon to be unreliable race car.

Modifying the FiST has been on the agenda, but I'm as yet to do anything of note to it. I was planning to do that once I had some of this new job money coming in, I'm just having wandering eyes. Whatever happens, there is only room for one car. I'm imagining the FoRS will have a much beefier gearbox and won't feel as janky as the FiST unit, which is the main thing which ever jolts me out of my doe-eyed affection for the little beast. The 350hp and rear wheel torque vectoring wouldn't be bad, either.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Not hot hatch specific per se, but Apple is aparently letting Google get in on the Carplay stuff, so you can use Waze and Gmaps for navigation if you have an iPhone. Half the reason I got the car was to use the phone stuff, so I'm psyked.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Warbird posted:

Not hot hatch specific per se, but Apple is aparently letting Google get in on the Carplay stuff, so you can use Waze and Gmaps for navigation if you have an iPhone. Half the reason I got the car was to use the phone stuff, so I'm psyked.

Oh thank gently caress, that's excellent news!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GTI bros: my car wants an oil change in 6 days or 4800 miles.

Which is it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
How long has it been since you changed it last?