Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone (Brian Hibbs?) wrote a piece about Trimpe shortly after he passed I believe, talking about how he was his favorite Hulk artist. He was straightforward that he wasn't necessarily the *best* but he was his favorite. He also characterized his work as a hack in the original sense of doing the necessary level of quality to get paid (as opposed to the more modern sense of "HACK = BAD"). I failed to find it, but it was a good read about an artist I was only really familiar with in his modern Liefeld-adjace crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. Never liked his work at all. He had some Kirby in him and was a decent story teller but there was no flash or spark to what he did. It felt "by the numbers", unpolished and kind of generic, lacking a certain dynamic quality. Your description of his stuff is spot on. He seemed like a by the numbers assembly line comic book artist and nothing he did ever really stood out.

A flashy or dynamic inker like Klaus Janson or Joe Sinnott might have brought out the promise of his general layouts, which overall were fine, just kind of dull.

Aping Liefeld only bears this out. He was like the ultimate house artist. I think they had him ape Kirby, then Buscema and, I guess Liefeld. Never seen the Liefeld/Trimpe style and I'm g;ad because, Jesus Christ, that sounds awful.

can someone post some examples? Google is failing me.

See, this is exactly how I would have described Rich Buckler. He was the ultimate “we need someone in a pinch that can make it look like the regular guy” artist. He aped Kirby in FF and it looked baaaaad - he went for the style but didn’t have the kinetic energy or flair that Kirby did. It just looked bland. He aped John Buscema and John Romita all over the place. His late 80’s work was mostly trash - relegated to fill-ins, annuals, and the occasional cover. I instantly knew I was going to hate an issue when he drew it.

The only thing I ever thought was really good was his Deathlok stuff in Astonishing Tales.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That speaks volumes about Hulk artists.

You need guys like Trimpe who can get pages in on time and bulk out the lineup, but I'm never excited to see his name. I can respect the professionalism required while still thinking little of the art itself. In the early 70s others like him are Don Heck, Sal Buscema, Ross Andru (at least early on, I seem to remember him getting better later). In the 60s it was Don Heck, Dick Ayers, Werner Roth, Marie Severin, Bill Everett, etc... I'm sure as I work my way through the years to come I'll have lots more that are in this B / C tier camp. They can't all be Kirby, Ditko, Colan, Steranko, Romita, or Adams.

In terms of the jobbers at least Don Heck has a style he's really good at (inking his own romance / horror stuff). And Marie drew some interesting Dr. Strange stuff in that period between Ditko and Colan.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

That speaks volumes about Hulk artists.

You need guys like Trimpe who can get pages in on time and bulk out the lineup, but I'm never excited to see his name. I can respect the professionalism required while still thinking little of the art itself. In the early 70s others like him are Don Heck, Sal Buscema, Ross Andru (at least early on, I seem to remember him getting better later). In the 60s it was Don Heck, Dick Ayers, Werner Roth, Marie Severin, Bill Everett, etc... I'm sure as I work my way through the years to come I'll have lots more that are in this B / C tier camp. They can't all be Kirby, Ditko, Colan, Steranko, Romita, or Adams.

In terms of the jobbers at least Don Heck has a style he's really good at (inking his own romance / horror stuff). And Marie drew some interesting Dr. Strange stuff in that period between Ditko and Colan.

Dude.... Sal Buscema was far from a jobber. That guy could draw anything and meet a deadline, yeah - but he also had a great storytelling style that stood out. He could REALLY draw fight scenes and his figures had motion to them. Even later on when he drew Spectacular Spider-Man for a looooong time he put a lot into every panel.

And man

Did he love

That giant punch!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As a Spider-Man fan, the names Sal Buscema and Ross Andru elicit nothing but praise for me. For Spider-Man the post-Stacy era was a weird one but Andru's art always shined. He was better at action than Romita and Kane, which is another way of saying he was the best at it since Ditko. And dude drew the Superman/Spider-Man issue! (Mostly).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe that comes later. Up to what I’ve read Sal does some generally boring Namor issues and Avengers fill ins that feel very much like fill ins. I’m not a fan of how he draws people, but even aside from that he does nothing for me. In terms of action, his individual panels are fine but his layouts are boring.

Like I said re Andru, I’ve read some of his later stuff and I know he gets better. But I just finished Namor #37 and it’s real rough.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It doesn’t really matter who draws it, (actually not true) but nobody lays out chumps with that giant punch like Spidey.

It’s one of my favorite character hallmarks in a way.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Aping Liefeld only bears this out. He was like the ultimate house artist. I think they had him ape Kirby, then Buscema and, I guess Liefeld. Never seen the Liefeld/Trimpe style and I'm g;ad because, Jesus Christ, that sounds awful.

can someone post some examples? Google is failing me.

Here's one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sal Buscema a jobber? What in the actual gently caress?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry Thor, you're back to being the second most sexy and/or metal norse god.

https://twitter.com/AbsolumT/status/1002224766932127744

Can't for this bonus boss in the next God of War.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sal did some good Conan

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rhyno posted:

Sal Buscema a jobber? What in the actual gently caress?

He's also swinging at Marie Severin. Guy's either blind, fuckwitted or a troll.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I love this panel

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Sal Buscema is my favorite Spidey artist-- The Child WIthin left a huge impression on me as a little kid, and my parents decided it was too intense halfway through so I spent a lot of time wondering how things turned out in the last two issues, poring over every panel of the issues I had in the misguided impression that there'd be "clues" or whatever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Selachian posted:

Here's one.

Jesus Christ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

Here's one.

Serious eyes and a serious nose;
Serious faces in a serious pose!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

He's also swinging at Marie Severin. Guy's either blind, fuckwitted or a troll.

Severin is the definition of a fill in artist. She was clearly talented enough to do more, but her Marvel work was explicitly being done to ape other artists’ styles. It’s probably the biggest shame of Marvel in the 60s that they didn’t give her more rope, but that doesn’t change the fact her work was second tier.

And I dunno, I just don’t think any of the Sal work I’ve read has been exciting. I don’t get jazzed to see him on a book at all. I see Buscema and then get dissapointed it’s not John.

I think the biggest thing is that his layouts are really standard fare. He’s technically competent (even if I really dislike his faces) but he doesn’t push the boundaries at all. To me, that’s a jobber - puts in consistent B / C level work but doesn’t experiment and almost never reaches that top level art.

Keep in mind I am talking early 70s. I don’t know what Sal turns into later. Outside of the Spider-Man panels posted here I’ve certainly not seen a reason to seek out his work though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If anyone disagrees with Jordan7hm then this is the perfect thread to show examples of any of those artists' good work. I will try to practice what I preach later today when I'm somewhere I'll have better access to my Marvel Unlimited. As Archyduke suggested, I think The Child Within (the classic Vermin storyline) for Sal Buscema would be a good start.

Also, who else likes that Spider-Man and Valhallen show up in consecutive posts posing like this?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

GPTribefan posted:

Dude.... Sal Buscema was far from a jobber. That guy could draw anything and meet a deadline, yeah - but he also had a great storytelling style that stood out. He could REALLY draw fight scenes and his figures had motion to them. Even later on when he drew Spectacular Spider-Man for a looooong time he put a lot into every panel.

And man

Did he love

That giant punch!!

So this art really reminded me of a comic I had as a kid. It was maybe a spectacular Spider-Man? He was fighting the Vulture and I remember this series of panels after the fight ends. Spider-Man caught Vultures wings on fire somehow and made him crash land in a pool of water to put out the flames. He's drug Vulture out of the water and Vulture blurts out "Why couldn't you just let me die?!" and there's like three panels of silence before Spider-Man says "You can't get off that easily." and makes him apologize to Aunt May and Mary Jane.

Vultures face in that scene has stuck with me for a long time. I remember the art looked a lot like those panels, so if Sal Buscema drew that, he rules.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

If anyone disagrees with Jordan7hm then this is the perfect thread to show examples of any of those artists' good work.

Yes, please do this! More comic art is good.

I do really like those S-M panels. I’d like to see more interesting full pages from him.

Posting why I don’t think much of Sal is a bit harder. His work is fine. But it’s just fine. It’s easy to pick on Trimpe or Ayers or Roth. Harder to pick on guys who just don’t excite you.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Serious eyes and a serious nose;
Serious faces in a serious pose!

Don’t worry, it gets much much worse when you get to FF Unlimited...

So

Much

Worse :(

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Sure, it's terrible, but I just can't hate on this lil' fella. Look how hard he's trying to be cool!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Lobok posted:

Also, who else likes that Spider-Man and Valhallen show up in consecutive posts posing like this?

Yeah that's what made me remember the panel

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Quick get in there and help, Sue!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GPTribefan posted:

So

Much

Worse :(

100% self taught. Not a single lesson folks.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

ecavalli posted:

Sure, it's terrible, but I just can't hate on this lil' fella. Look how hard he's trying to be cool!

It’s Scott Lang :(. They tried to make Ant-Man a BADDDD ASSSSSS 90s EXTREME hero and it failed miserably.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

GPTribefan posted:

They tried to make [character] a BADDDD ASSSSSS 90s EXTREME hero and it failed miserably.

It works for every single one of em

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GPTribefan posted:

It's just... all the faces make me think of that episode:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

purple death ray posted:

It works for every single one of em

I have no idea what you’re talking about...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GPTribefan posted:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GPTribefan posted:

Ok I thought I knew Thunderstrike but I don't remember him wearing a camera.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

GPTribefan posted:

Uhh, Thunderstrike was the best.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GPTribefan posted:

Those are some very large fingers.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

I've got to say, it takes a special kind of talent to make someone who can stretch his body into any form look horribly misshapen but somehow they pulled it off.

Reed looking awfully a lot like a Dragonball Z character in that last panel.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

I've got to say, it takes a special kind of talent to make someone who can stretch his body into any form look horribly misshapen but somehow they pulled it off.

From what I recall at the time Trimpe was explicitly reacting to the rise of guys who didn't have the basic chops. Liefeld is the obvious one, but there were dozens of Liefeld-lites who weren't even as good as Liefeld who were getting all the work because it was now the 90's and comics had to look like that.

I think he only got one more assignment from Marvel after that before he had to take a job as a high school teacher.

There was a short documentary about Trimpe made in the late 60's by some film students called "Herb Trimpe, We Love You!" Personally, I don't think Trimpe comes across very well in it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've had the Essential Hulk volume 2 for ages and it's largely Trimpe work and it's pretty good. It's not like, groundbreaking, but it's certainly a better sight than those '90's ones.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Daredevil #77.

Somebody messed up on this one. Even if the hair was the right colour I don't think that looks like MJ.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aquaman/Jabberjaw variant cover by Joshua Middleton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's just a shark. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Archyduke posted:

I think Sal Buscema is my favorite Spidey artist-- The Child WIthin left a huge impression on me as a little kid, and my parents decided it was too intense halfway through so I spent a lot of time wondering how things turned out in the last two issues, poring over every panel of the issues I had in the misguided impression that there'd be "clues" or whatever.

Sal Buscema is the best.

I wish I could find the one where Harry is talking to his father's ghost at the merry-go-round, and he watches his dad get impaled by the Goblin Glider all over again. His son tries to get his attention, snapping him out of his daydream, and Harry FREAKS out in front of everyone before catching himself.