Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
PoR also had the Knight Ward which secretly boosts speed growth by something ridiculous like 20%, and says nothing about it in the item description. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Sydin posted:

PoR also had the Knight Ward which secretly boosts speed growth by something ridiculous like 20%, and says nothing about it in the item description. :shepface:
30%. In addition to +2 def/res. It was an idiotic item.

Then Gatrie got it grafted to his arm in RD, which is why he has a 60% speed growth.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One thing that Gilliam has for him that the rest of the GBA-era knights don't get is a much better promotion option in Great Knight. Thanks to that, he can at least have some more viability in the long run compared to other knights.

And yes, I love Franz. He might as well belong to the special group we'll be introduced to shortly, but yes, he is my go-to Paladin for this game. Along with his lovely girlfriend Amelia, they make a deadly Paladin duo.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

theshim posted:

30%. In addition to +2 def/res. It was an idiotic item.

Then Gatrie got it grafted to his arm in RD, which is why he has a 60% speed growth.

Yeah, I didn't realize the speed growth thing existed my first run through, so I kept it on Astrid cause fragile unit + defense bonuses and got confused when she rammed the everliving poo poo out of her speed cap.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Explopyro posted:

Those were a really good idea, but I always find it a bit overwhelming trying to decide how to distribute them; hooray analysis paralysis? And I guess technically PoR wasn't the first time they did something like that, although it probably had the cleanest implementation; didn't Thracia 776 have scrolls that affected growth rates?

Both Thracia and FE3 NES had growth manipulation items, I think. In New Mystery they were changed to simple stat boosts, though. I've always thought they were a neat idea, at least for second playthroughs (and PoR forcing them to be equipped to work prevents Marty Party item stack shenanigans; whether that's a good or bad thing for overall fun is up to you, but it's definitely better for balance).

On the actual game being played, I'm glad to see another FE8 playthrough, game is fun and I enjoy reading people's thoughts on it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Chapter 2: Axe Me Anything

Last Time:

And now, we’re headed back to the game. We have access to the world map now, but can’t do much of anything on it yet.

You can use the Manage Items command to swap inventories around. I used it to give Gilliam one of Franz’s two Vulneraries.

To reach the next chapter, we need to head to Ide here. It’s also our only possible route forward, so there’s no point in waiting around.

However, he does provide Eirika with a small but trusted party of vassals. Eirika is grateful for the king’s aid.

In case you weren’t paying attention to the opening geography lesson, Grado is the southwestern section of Magvel.

The group’s first stop is the remote village of Ide, which was, until very recently, a part of Renais. Here, Eirika sees the destruction of Renais with her own eyes.

Seth’s route just says “go south”.

We’ll travel south of Renais and pass through Serafew into Grado territory.

Hmm...That would seem a sensible plan. Assuming, of course, that we can avoid any run-ins with Grado soldiers…
Princess Eirika, may I have your leave to scout ahead? From the sky, I’ll have a better chance of spotting any nearby troops.

We’re yours to command, Your Highness. Will you give your permission?

Yes, of course.

Eirika dropping some helpful gameplay hints in the exposition here.

Yes, Your Highness, I shall. I shall prove myself worthy of the honor of your trust.

She seems...very sincere.

“Kind of a suck-up.”

Three shirtless guys in a triangle formation. Clearly villainy is afoot.

With all those soldiers preoccupied, we’re free to pillage as we please! Right, Bone–you’re in charge. Grab everything that’s not nailed down and bring it to the hideout.

I’m on it.

In proper Fire Emblem tradition, bandits are always burly ugly dudes with silly names. Still can’t compare to “Bug” from the last game.

That is some serious facial hair.

I’m getting you out of here, Ross. You stay close to me!

Cut down anyone fool enough to get in your way. I’m heading west around the mountains to the other villages.

Oh no, the horror of war!

Ross? What is it? What’s wrong?

It’s nothing! It’s just a scratch! You’re a warrior, Dad, and I am your son. I won’t be beaten so easily.

Don’t risk yourself so foolishly… We need to get you some help. Please! Someone help my son!

I must report back to Princess Eirika at once!

Thankfully she was right there.

I have bad news. The village to the east is under attack by bandits.

Bandits?!

We have arrived at our first dilemma. We must move quickly and attract as little attention as possible, but…

But I cannot stand by and watch innocents be harmed. Vanessa, how fare the villagers?

I spotted one injured person. He appeared to be just a child.

Father Moulder, can your staff help him?

Well, yes, I can heal his injuries with my staff, but...

Alright, who forgot to pack the Physic?

I like how Eirika just kinda slides out and Moulder has to tell her. Poor Vanessa’s already getting the royal cold Renais shoulder.

Very well. I’m off.

And we’re off too. This is a Rout map, meaning we’ll need to kill all of the enemies to proceed. Most of them are hiding down south.

Let’s check out our new characters.

*Luck growth is 50, I’m not sure how I missed that.

Vanessa is very much like our old friend Caeda, a classic Pegasus Knight. They’re very quick and skillful, and boast extremely high flying movement. They also, unfortunately, carry serious durability issues, compounded by the fact that Bows deal effective damage to them. Vanessa pretty much exemplifies all of this, but she has the distinct advantages of an early join time and plenty of room to grow. Vanessa will be a staple of most early game teams, and she can be extremely powerful later as well, so long as her growths don’t completely screw her over.

HERE HE IS.

Moulder is our first healer, using Staves, which means he cannot attack (for now), but will be very useful in keeping our allies alive. He’s fairly solid all around, and boasts an oddly high Constitution of 9, because he is the boulder, so he can even rescue some units. However, his Magic growth is a bit lower than the other healer we’ll recruit, and his Luck is abysmal. He can, however, through the combination of his sturdy HP and decent base Resistance, become an okay tank against magical units.

I personally haven’t had a ton of success with him, but he’s quite usable.

Ross and Garcia are across this mountain range, so we’ll need some help getting them to the main group. You’ll note that they’re Green. Green units belong to the “Other” faction, they’re allied NPCs. They take their turn after Enemy Phase. Ross is looking pretty beat up, though, and needs immediate rescue.

Thankfully, that’s what we have a Pegasus Knight for. Flying units like Vanessa ignore terrain. This does also mean they don’t get the benefits from it, except healing on Forts/Gates/etc. It does make her ridiculously mobile, which is what we need right now.

Mounted units also have this neat little ability, Canto. They can move the remainder of their movement after performing an action aside from attacking/healing. It allows Vanessa to flee to the safety of the mountains.

This map also introduces Villages. Villages can be visited, like houses, but unlike houses, they give you stuff.

Cool. The Elixir is like a Vulnerary, but it restores all of a unit’s HP instead of just 10. This is better later, once our characters get more HP, so it’s worth holding onto.

Any unit can visit a village (Unlike SOME Fire Emblem games), but for this one in particular, there’s a little extra dialogue if you use Eirika.

If we can’t find some way to protect ourselves, the village is doomed.

Hurry, before the bandits arrive!

Who are you? You aren’t from one of the neighboring towns, are you? And your weapons give you away… You’re no peasant.

c’mon don’t blow this

Stuck the landing.

A mercenary named Erina, is it? There’s more to you than that, I feel. But don’t worry–it’s none of my affairs. I haven’t told you who I am yet, have I? I am Selena, a general in Grado’s army.

Ah!

Is something wrong?

No...uh, nothing.

It looks like these villagers have some bandit troubles. I would like to help, but I have orders… I’m to leave for the capital immediately, and I cannot stay. You’re armed, and you claim to be a mercenary. Will you help them?

Um…

Is there a problem?

No! Of course I’ll help them! It’s just… You’re one of Grado’s generals...Why…

These aren’t soldiers. They’re people. Should they suffer because their leaders fight? I’ve petitioned your aid. Take this as payment.

…...

I was going to make a joke about Eirika being utterly shocked someone isn’t a war criminal, but honestly it fits her pretty well. They’ve already established that Eirika isn’t really familiar with the concept of warfare, so stuff like this would naturally confuse her a little. I know a lot of people don’t like the writing in this game as much as Blazing Sword, but I’m on the fence because of touches like this.

Anyway, we get a Red Gem. This is like Bullion 2.0, you sell it for money, that’s it. This will fetch 2500g at any store.

Now that we’ve visited those villages, time to take a look at the rest of the map. These shirtless guys are a new type of enemy, the Brigand. Brigands are generally just like Fighters, low accuracy, axes only, but they can walk on mountain tiles. They also pack a nasty punch, so be careful with your weaker units. To finish the package, they’re capable of destroying villages if they reach them before you. You don’t want that to happen, there’s stuff in there.

Someone will have to hit up that Southwestern village quickly. Maybe someone on a horse. A winged horse.

Once the enemy phase starts, the Brigand over there rushes Garcia.

It doesn’t go great for him.

Like, really, not great.

Now that Garcia’s holed himself up on the fort, I’m going to ignore him for the rest of the map. His son, though, will need to get off of Vanessa. While ferrying another unit, your skill and speed are cut in half, which is bad, of course.

You can drop off a unit in any accessible adjacent tile.

Let’s patch him up.

Heal staves will heal a flat amount, depending on the tier of the stave, plus the user’s Magic. It’s enough to get Ross back to full.

Then I make the brilliant decision of...forgetting to talk to Ross with Eirika. Oops. Franz is going to check out this Armory, though. Some maps will have shopping tiles on them, but they aren’t as big a deal in Sacred Stones, since we’ll soon get the ability to shop on the World Map.

Slim Weapons I totally forgot to address last time. They’re E Rank, and have a very low weight, as well as a hit/crit bonus attached. Unfortunately, it comes at a Might tradeoff, which I usually find makes them hard to use practically.

For the last move of this turn, it looks like Seth and Franz can have a chat!

Franz. How are you holding up?

Fine. I may be young, but I’m every bit a Knight of Renais. I’ll fight to the end to protect the princess, just like you, sir!

Good, good! That’s the spirit! You know, you’re looking much improved from when we set out.

Hm. Do you really think so, General?

Oh, definitely. You seem much more sure of yourself. All doubt has left your face. By the time you reach my age, you’ll be the finest spear- and swordsman around.

You know, unlike most Jagens, Seth doesn’t look very old at all. I’m not sure how much of an age gap there really can be between him and Franz. Maybe he just uses great moisturizer.

Honestly? Sir, do you really believe that?

…I do… But we are in a battle right now, Franz. Concentrate on the enemies before you, and don’t get too cocky.

Yes sir!!! You know I’d never let you down, sir!

Don’t be too eager for success. Know your limits.

Yes, sir!

This is the Support System, a pretty integral part of many Fire Emblem games. As your units bond, you get special dialogue from them, can possibly change their endings, and unlock combat bonuses!

For the GBA games, the method of building supports is...weird. First, units have to stand next to eachother on the battlefield. This builds support points. This is why I spent 50ish Turns doing absolutely nothing last time. Once they hit a certain threshold, different for each pair, you’ll unlock a Support conversation, which gives you the first tier of bonuses. Support tiers go from C through A, and a given character can have no more than 5 total conversations (You also can't raise a given support pair more than once per map). So, like, an A and a B will cap them out.

The actual nature of these bonuses depends on the Affinity of the units involved. That’s that weird symbol you’re seeing on the profiles. Each of the seven affinities grants different bonuses.

A fantastic write-up on that can be seen here, if you love the details:
https://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/characters/supports/calculation/

For the sake of this update not stretching too long, though, I’ll just go ahead and summarize:

Since Seth is Anima and Franz is Light, they both recieve +1 Attack, +1 Defense, +2 Accuracy, +2 Avoid, +2 Crit Chance, and +2 Crit Evasion.

Not bad for a permanent buff! And it’ll only improve.

Speaking of Seth, that Bandit south of him rushed us this turn. It was a very bad mistake.

(Also, on my part. I should have equipped Seth with a weaker weapon, or no weapon at all, to try and let a weaker unit get the kill)

Garcia’s wrath, meanwhile, turns to the lone non-brigand on the map.

Unfortunately, me not talking to Ross means he is now trying to commit suicide by running forwards, and the Bandits receive reinforcements on their second turn. We could get hit from all sides here if the ranks don’t thin.

First of all, let’s get rampage boy under control. Eirika can recruit Ross here to our side.

My name’s Ross. Come on! You have to help me wipe those thugs out!

Leave the villages to us. We’ll drive off the bandits. Seth, take the boy somewhere safe.

No! Wait! I’m going to fight, too!

But…

My father is out there all alone, fighting those bandits. I’ve got to get back to him as quickly as possible! I’m the son of the great Garcia!

All right, I can see you’re not going to be swayed...But you must promise that you will stay close to us.

Oh boy. Trainees.

Ross comes in extremely weak. His growths are pretty meh. But what truly makes Ross remarkable is that he is in a Trainee class. See, most classes level to 20, Promote, and then can level to 20 again. Trainees get 10 levels in their base class before they start that cycle. Ross effectively has fifty levels to grow.

Not only that, nearly every class in this game gets two promotion options. Trainees do that on each of their promotions, meaning they have even more possible classes. Ross here can end up in any of three different classes!

He’s not without his downsides. All trainees are somewhat tricky to level, especially on Hard, since they’ll need to actually get kills to level up, and they’re awful at first. This is easier with Ross than anyone else, by far, since you get him now, but it’s still tough. This is mitigated pretty heavily by Sacred Stones’ limitless EXP system.

Ross takes a lot of work, and a little luck. But a good Ross will solo the final boss, cackling and critting all the way. Using Ross is quite a gamble, unless you’re planning on using the grinding maps. I probably will, just because I love him.

It’s worth mentioning he comes with the special Hatchet weapon, which is a lightweight, less damaging Hand Axe, boasting 1-2 Range and letting him pick off foes from afar.

Anyway, there was a map going on? These bandits are getting too close for comfort, so Franz takes position on the fort. Vanessa hurries to visit the village before it gets ransacked.

: What? B-bandits?! Spread the word, everyone! Close the village gates! Thank you for your warning. Please, accept this small token.

The Pure Water is a consumable item that boosts a unit’s resistance for a brief time, gradually dropping off over turns. Highly situational. Great in those situations.

The bandits can walk on mountains, but are still massively slowed by them, so Ross is safe here. That’s really the name of the game for now, keeping Ross alive.

Instead, the bandits are forced to attack our more competent units, which is fine by me.

Garcia also finishes his rampage. He won’t do anything else on this map.

Alright, let’s start fighting the last chunk of enemies. The Supply command is accessible by Lords, or units adjacent to Lords, and can be used to access the convoy where you store items none of your characters are holding. With only five item inventories, this can be a lifesaver.

Eirika uses it to snag an Iron Axe, which Ross moves down and trades her for. Now he should be able to smack that remaining Brigand down!

Oof. Uh, so, here’s the thing about Axes. Not only are they naturally inaccurate, they’re heavy as poo poo, meaning a little guy like Ross is going to have forecasts like...this for a while. This is the toughest part of using a Trainee.

So I don’t risk it. Franz deals with that little snafu.

Well, that sucks. At least it was Strength.

The reinforcement Brigands begin to attack Gilliam. These guys are using terrain to their advantage, as well as Weapon Triangle, so even our beefy Knight ally can’t outlast them for too long.

Also they jump. Like, look at that jump. Hot drat.

This is a bit of a gamble, but…

Moulder was right there anyway.

Here’s how I set up for the end of this map. Franz is our most damaging non-Seth warrior, so he parks on the fort and prepares for the boss and his goon. The last Reinforcement Brigand is capable of attacking Moulder, so Vanessa’s going to need to help out.

With a quick Rescue, she holds him over the mountains for safekeeping. I probably didn’t NEED to do this, but it looks cool and it’s my lp dammit

So uh, here’s Bone.

While Breguet was a substantially stronger foe than his minions, Bone is basically just another Brigand. Use the same tactics you have been for the rest of the map, and he’ll crumble.

Franz and Eirika are great choices here, especially if you can put them on Defensive Tiles.

Bone is basically just a big EXP balloon right now, so let’s get him within popping range.

He shoots!

He scores!

Someday, Ross...someday…you’ll be a god.

Or it could be like my last Ross who got so RNG screwed that he turned out useless, but let’s not get too pessimistic.

Speaking of Ross (again), both brigands hitting him would be lethal. This Eirika/Gilliam wall means he can only be whacked by one.

Even then, it wasn’t pretty. if he were holding that Iron Axe, he might be dead right now.

Eirika’s doing better on that front.

And now, cleanup. Sorry you didn’t get to do any real combat this map, Vanessa, you’ll have your time to shine.

And that’s the brigands routed.

I’m not a huge fan of how I played that map, I could have done things a lot less sloppily. Still, being able to pull up and correct your mistakes is a cool part of Fire Emblem.

:toot: :toot: anyway

…Hold on a moment…

This is a great nickname.

You fought for Renais, didn’t you?

……

Seth, do you know this man?

He was a troop commander for Renais until around ten years ago. When I was a recruit, the soldiers used to tell so many tales about him. They called him a daring and fearless fighter for Renais. Master Garcia, you must know the peril our homeland faces right now… Can we impose upon you to lend your strength to Renais once again?

I’m not a soldier anymore. It’s a decision I made long ago.

Master Garcia…
…When I was a soldier, I lived my life fighting for my country’s honor. I left no time for my family. I spent my life fighting for faceless, uncaring nobles. When my wife fell ill and died, I met the child she had left behind… At that moment, I finally realized what my duty had cost me.

……

I stood at my wife’s grave and promised her I would be a father to our son. I’m done with armies. I’m done with fighting, except to protect my son. I’ve no regrets. I’m the boy’s father.

…...

Father, what’s all this nonsense I’m hearing?

Ross!

If you’re not going, then I will! I’m a fighter! I know I can do this!

Technically he’s not a Fighter, yet. But he could be...that’s on you.

Ross, what are you saying? I…

Dad, please! Listen to me! I respect you more than any other man in the world. I know you gave up being a soldier for me. I know that! But how can you throw away such a big part of yourself? You’re a warrior at heart! You can’t give that up and be happy!

……

There are SO MANY “......”s in this conversation.

Look at me, Dad! Have you seen me fight? I’m not a child anymore. I’m a warrior, like you. You’re free to worry, but I can survive on my own!

...Ross.

You want to challenge me, Father? I’m a fighter! The best in all of Ide!

I’m absolutely positive there’s a joke to be made somewhere in here about that new God Of War game but I’ve never played it so uh, “boy”, I guess.

If these old bones of mine can still serve, I’d like to join you.

“Old bones”, huh? I guess they’re still good for something.

Dad…

Looks like my boy grew up while I wasn’t looking… He’s tougher than I thought. He doesn’t need my help. I’ve raised him as best I could, but he’s right. I’ve nothing to fear. I should fight. I will fight.

Dad!

So, since we didn’t recruit Garcia mid-chapter, I’ve got his profile ready now.

Garcia is a safer choice than Ross. He won’t surprise you, but he’s unlikely to let you down. Garcia averages out solidly, with a monstrous HP growth and base and impressive Strength being sandbagged by his bad defensive stats and Speed. The speed is the biggest issue there, but it can be salvaged. Depending on how he promotes, Garcia can fill a few roles in any team composition. I’d call him a fairly average unit, but a trusty one nonetheless.

We would if we could, but we have much to do and far to travel. Your safety is reward enough.

Ah, well… My, that is a splendid bracelet you’re wearing.

Fado’s fashion senses are keen. Uh. Were keen. Sorry.

Thank you. My father gave this to me.

It’s a wonderful gift. But you should be careful, wearing such a valuable item so openly. Since Renais was invaded, things have become so dangerous around here. There are gold-hungry thieves and bandits everywhere.

Name checks out. Somebody please make a Fire Emblem Bandit Name generator, where it just starts with a “B” and adds one or two random syllables.

If you have something they want, your life is worth less than nothing. Just the other day they assaulted some travelers and…Oh, it was awful.

I...I can’t believe such things…

Oh, Renais is finished, mark my words. The Grado Empire’s stolen our future. Our only hope against them was that Prince Ephraim would prevail, but… Rumor has it that he’s on the verge of being crushed by Grado’s vast numbers. These are dark days. Travel with care.

“Well, we’re all hosed, see ya, have a nice day!”

…….

Time to reflect.

Ah geez, filters. Okay, I’ve trained for this.

Tell me, though: why do you want me to teach you to fight? I thought you didn’t care for violence…

I do not like uncivilized behavior. I think one can solve one’s problems without fighting. And yet...

And yet what?

I’ve always relied on you to protect me, Brother. I would rather not be such a burden to you in the future. So, I thought maybe I should learn to protect myself...

I’m your brother. Brothers are supposed to protect their sisters. It’s nothing for you to worry about. It’s no cause for concern.

Yes, but… I am your sister. Sisters are supposed to worry about their brothers. So I would like to learn something of swordplay, if only a little. And maybe, someday, I can protect you in your time of need… So please, Ephraim.

All right, all right. How could I say no? Honestly, once you get an idea into your head, that’s it. I might as well give in. It’s agreed. I’ll teach you, but won’t hold back because you’re my sister. And I want no complaining once we’ve started, Eirika.

:allears:

Well, we’re out of the flashback zone now.

He scatters pretty quickly.

Y-yes...someone bumped into me is all, I was jarred.

Hm? Your highness, where is your bracelet?

My bracelet? It’s…gone. Where could it be? Did that man–

I’ll find him!

Oh, you are hosed now.

Don’t worry about it, Seth. That bracelet was a gift from my father, but Ephraim needs our help. I can’t let sentimentality get in the way of my duty.

You cannot lose it. Let’s go. We must hurry.

Next time we retrieve our stolen jewelry.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 2, 2018

theshim
May 1, 2012

Garcia is Dorcas 2.0, down to that 20% speed growth. I always bench him :argh:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

theshim posted:

Dorcas rules and is a friend to all.

The speed growth does suck though.

EDIT: VVV

Go ahead and talk about the Trainee mechanics if you want. There's more but I didn't want to infodump too hard, so if people would rather discuss it in the thread that's fine.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any spoiler policies involving game mechanics involving the trainee classes?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Erika, I know you're new to the world outside the castle, but when a stranger bumps into you in the middle of nowhere you should really assume the worst. Thieves are literally the best case: in the worst case, an enemy spy just found you out with proof besides.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Garcia is awesome if only for that Support conversation he has about trying out magic

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
With your talk about Moulder's amazing con, it kind of bothers me that you didn't use him to rescue-drop Ross and free up Vanessa's turn.

Ah, trainees. Ross is a cheating motherfucker with that Hatchet of his, to the point where he has zero problems leveling. That + his join time makes him my favourite of them. That + honestly having better growths than anyone of most of his classes means he's glued to my parties.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You should train up all the Trainees, and put them into their unique 'Super' classes.

In several play-throughs of this game I've never actually brought myself to using them that way.

...probably because (at least in Ross's case) the 'Super' class is just an inferior version of one another one of his options. The Correct option.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy

:f5:

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have never used moulder, and never will

The 'Stache has judged you. It has found you wanting.

biosterous posted:

vilkacis, please post the Moulder flexing gifs

(maybe after we've seen him in action actually?)

Nay.

Shan't.

I had to gently caress with spell animations to make these and fuuuuuuck spell animations. People tell me the new tools are much better, but those people are liars and scoundrels and horrible horrible people!

LordHippoman posted:

Seth’s route just says “go south”.

I mean, the logic works out, he just goes south, and whatever might in the way, he leaves nothing but level ground for the rest of the party to follow :v:

quote:

I know a lot of people don’t like the writing in this game as much as Blazing Sword

Well those people are wrong. :colbert:

Also if you're going to be using the trainees, please for the love of gently caress do something different with them, it'd really suck to see them go the exact same way as in the previous thread...

theshim posted:

Dastard!

LordHippoman posted:

Dorcas rules and is a friend to all.

:colbert:

...well, I say that as if I've never benched a Dorcas... :negative:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

theshim posted:

That's a shame, because Garcia is one of the three axe users that I'd call good. His speed base is good enough to carry him for a decent while, can get +2 on promotion and of course there's Garm with it's +5 speed, for which he is an excellent candidate

I've always found Ross to be kinda crappy in comparison to be honest. You can do some silly things with one of his promotion paths, though.

Also, Moulder is the best staffer of all of the solo staffers you get. He starts higher level than the others you get, has more chapters to snail his way into promotion, and has better staff rank to boot.

I suppose some people will try to fight me over these statements, but they just can't handle the truth :colbert:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Eh your statements make sense from a 'not willing to grind out staff exp' point. Moulder probably is the best of them if you don't do extra missions and don't deliberately extend your turn count on maps.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

*sweet jesus animations*

:eyepop:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

That's a shame, because Garcia is one of the three axe users that I'd call good. His speed base is good enough to carry him for a decent while, can get +2 on promotion and of course there's Garm with it's +5 speed, for which he is an excellent candidate
:colbert:

A fair amount of the people I know who've played this call Garcia one of the worst units, which I think is bizarre, because of what you mentioned. The game kinda fixes his biggest weakness for him.

Weeble posted:

You should train up all the Trainees, and put them into their unique 'Super' classes.

In several play-throughs of this game I've never actually brought myself to using them that way.

Unfortunately it's a New Game + option and I'm running this on a fresh New Game. I'll talk about Super Trainees, but I can't use them. My apologies.

I want you to know how much I appreciate it every time you hit that X Button. :allears:

vilkacis posted:

Also if you're going to be using the trainees, please for the love of gently caress do something different with them, it'd really suck to see them go the exact same way as in the previous thread...

I'm leaving the Class voting up to the thread, if that's what you mean. I don't know if I'll use all the Trainees, but I definitely at least want to go with Ross. It's up to you all if he goes Berzerker Ross or the mythical Not Berzerker Ross.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Good Lord hippo, it hurts to see you give boss kills to trainees. Just hitting a mook with his hatchet is worth 30ish exp to ross and killing a mook already gives him a full level.

That said, fun fact about Ross. If you take him to level 10 on this map he won't promote at the start of the next one. Which is ok, because the next one has lots of walls and things for him to chip at guys over so it's a lot easier to level him there.

You should have Ross accept his true calling as a hero of the people.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Good Lord hippo, it hurts to see you give boss kills to trainees. Just hitting a mook with his hatchet is worth 30ish exp to ross and killing a mook already gives him a full level.

Fun Fact: I looked up the Trainee leveling mechanics after this update because I thought I was misremembering SOMETHING and welp :v:

Cut from the screenshots is the footage of me sighing heavily at the screen but not restarting because I was going to dinner with someone who wouldn't understand if I said "Sorry, I needed to rerun this map, I didn't kill Bone with Vanessa."

Lessons learned, though. I didn't know about the leveling to 10 on this map thing, but it seems almost impossible for that to happen. If you've done it, though, props.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 1, 2018

theshim
May 1, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Cut from the screenshots is the footage of me sighing heavily at the screen but not restarting because I was going to dinner with someone who wouldn't understand if I said "Sorry, I needed to rerun this map, I didn't kill Bone with Vanessa."
:heysexy:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Okay I've only just discovered Vilk's Tumblr full of sprite edits and I'm not sure if I'm more awed, amazed, or terrified.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

LordHippoman posted:

Lessons learned, though. I didn't know about the leveling to 10 on this map thing, but it seems almost impossible for that to happen. If you've done it, though, props.

It took far, far too much effort to be worth it. Even before him not promoting. But I was bored and it was a fun thought to promote him on his first map.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

vilkacis posted:

animations

Oh my god this is magical. Never stop.

FoolyCharged posted:

That said, fun fact about Ross. If you take him to level 10 on this map he won't promote at the start of the next one. Which is ok, because the next one has lots of walls and things for him to chip at guys over so it's a lot easier to level him there.

I never knew that, interesting. I have to wonder whether that's a bug or not. I could easily see it being the sort of thing they'd miss in testing...

I've always been of two minds about the trainees in this game. Ross tends to turn out well if you use him, but I've never been entirely convinced it's worth the effort compared to other characters. Still, he's good, and doesn't have very much competition as far as axe-users go. On the other hand, I always feel a bit weird because after a promotion or two it's impossible to reconcile his character portrait with his battle sprites. (Of course there's a way around that problem too, but it's pretty much strictly worse gameplay-wise. Are you going to talk about that option, Hippoman?)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Explopyro posted:

I never knew that, interesting. I have to wonder whether that's a bug or not. I could easily see it being the sort of thing they'd miss in testing...

The next map is the last one before battle preparations get added, and he promotes when battle preparations loads in and he's level 10.

They probably ignored the possibility because you'd have to be an idiot to waste time giving him 9 levels on this map

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

Erika, I know you're new to the world outside the castle, but when a stranger bumps into you in the middle of nowhere you should really assume the worst. Thieves are literally the best case: in the worst case, an enemy spy just found you out with proof besides.

It's truly amazing because they're in a forest. So some random stranger, in the middle of a mostly uninhabited(bar her forces) forest just bumps into her despite the massive amount of empty terrain all around. There's naive, and then there's naive. Even for a sheltered royal, that's pretty bad.

Dance Officer posted:

Also, Moulder is the best staffer of all of the solo staffers you get. He starts higher level than the others you get, has more chapters to snail his way into promotion, and has better staff rank to boot.

Anyone claiming Moulder is better than a certain Troubadour in any way (bar being THE BOULDER) is wrong. Completely, utterly wrong. :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is indeed Ross, but I doubt Ross is talking to himself about Ross.

thetruegentleman posted:

Honestly, I can't blame her. I'm not royalty and it still took me getting mugged to realize that people bumping into you all of a sudden can be more than just an accident.

vilkacis posted:

Stache Beam

You deserve all the praise and more. This is beautiful.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Moulder reminds me of Shepard Book. Stacked man of the cloth who will kick your sorry rear end for missing church

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Out of all the Super Trainees, Ross' is the only one I would never consider using, for reasons already stated (it simply being an inferior version of another class he has access to).

The other two Super Trainees still have the inherent Con issues with their Super Trainee Classes, but there are ways around that (or it can simply be dealt with). But both of the other two bring something wholely unique to the table.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Oh sweet, Fire Emblem. I enjoyed 7 and 9 more, but this game is still fun. The best thing to me about FE LPs is that I never feel like there can be too many. The RNG kinda ensures that every one will be different in some way. I had a run of FE7 where Eliwood hit several caps and Hector sucked. I thought that wasn't possible.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Seth is probably Anime Old, i.e. like 30. An ancient warrior, practically at death's door.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So, I'm just going to pretend I'm a Fire Emblem noob, for the sake of critiques. I meant to present my critiques of Chapter 1, but, I never got around to it till after Chapter 2. So it may be kind of a lot at once...sorry :( .

ANYWAY!

LordHippoman posted:

Weight is basically a “minimum Con”, you can wield weapons with more weight than you have Constitution, but they’ll slow you down.

Well, is that important? Like, how much does it slow me down? Does my Speed get cut in half if I have a unit use a weapon with more Weight than their Constitution? Is it a flat penalty? Or does it depend?

LordHippoman posted:

Seth is just going to hide out of the way on this map again. You might notice the “Rescue” command here. A unit can “Rescue” another character, so long as they have a higher Constitution. For mounted rescuers, it’s 25-Constitution. Unless you’re a lady. Then it’s 20-Constitution because Con Is Silly.

Wait, you're saying they need a higher Constitution...but then you say the calculation is 25 - Constitution? That doesn't make sense...do you mean to say that it's "25 - BASE Constitution"? As in...

code:
Total Constitution = 25 - Base Constitution
Is that it? If so, are you also saying that females are incapable of carrying units as large as what males can carry? If so, wow...that's pretty stupid!

LordHippoman posted:

Gilliam comes with a single Iron Lance. Iron is the lightest and easiest to wield type of weapon (D Rank), but it has the least might.

The tiers go Iron-Steel-Silver, by the way.

Huh...really? I coulda sworn there was some...pony girl or something in the first Fire Emblem? You know, the one with the green haired girl with those beautiful, silky smooth legs? On the cover? With those guys that kinda looked like Marth and Roy?

I thought I saw something like a "Slim Lance" or something, and that it was E Rank. Was that just in that game, then, and not in any of the others?

LordHippoman posted:

It didn’t really matter, Franz still doubled him for the one round kill.

You SAY he starts off weaker and harder to use than the other units...but ain't he doing just fine? Or is that just cuz Soldiers are scrub-tier?

LordHippoman posted:

I could let Gilliam take out the rest of the Fighter’s HP, but he’s already at Level 4 with 20 Experience (nice). Franz is only Lv 2.

So? Is there some sort of problem giving kills to a Level 4, instead of a Level 2? Some sort of penalty, or something?

LordHippoman posted:

Gilliam took an axe to the gut earlier, so I move him on to this Fort tile. The Fort not only has those nice terrain bonuses you can see in the bottom right, it heals any unit standing on it at the start of their turn.

Huh...that's interesting. How much does it heal?

LordHippoman posted:

Sometimes you’ll be able to trigger a conversation between units in battle. Here’s Eirika and Franz for this map.

Don't suppose there's a way to tell who can talk to whom, without looking at guides?

LordHippoman posted:

Eirika crit him so hard the game doesn’t even want to show you. (Sorry, bad screenshot timing on my part.)

Really? Aww...I wanted to see it! I remember Lyn's looking real cool!

LordHippoman posted:

Then I turn Autocursor off.

Huh? What's that? Is that important? If it is, was there a reason you left it off before, or did you just forget? Like you did with chipping away all those Rapier uses?

LordHippoman posted:

Then I spam the (end turn) button.

Until we hit Turn 50.

I promise this has a purpose, I’ll explain it later, but we already had two mechanics dumps in this update.

Awwwwww, but I wanted to play along with you! I never fully got into Fire Emblem till now, so, if I'm gonna play ahead of you, well...any chance you could explain what you're doing in a separate post? A "mini-update", if you will?

Wait, so there ARE Slim Lances! Where do THEY fall on the "Iron > Steel > Silver" tier list? Or are they like, wild cards or something? Like...

"Iron beats Steel, Steel beats Silver, Slim beats Silver, but Slim is beaten by everything else"?

LordHippoman posted:

Mounted units also have this neat little ability, Canto. They can move the remainder of their movement after performing an action aside from attacking/healing. It allows Vanessa to flee to the safety of the mountains.

Wow, EVERYTHING besides "attacking/healing"? Whoa...

So if I, say, had her move 4 spaces forward, had her Wait, but then decided I wanted to move her back...I can actually move her back? Even AFTER I already had her wait? Before the next turn even comes up :aaa: ?!

Dang that's good!

LordHippoman posted:

Now that we’ve visited those villages, time to take a look at the rest of the map. These shirtless guys are a new type of enemy, the Brigand. Brigands are generally just like Fighters, low accuracy, axes only, but they can walk on mountain tiles. They also pack a nasty punch, so be careful with your weaker units. To finish the package, they’re capable of destroying villages if they reach them before you. You don’t want that to happen, there’s stuff in there.

Huh...so do the Fighters have any distinct advantage over Brigands? Or are Brigands just flat out better than Fighters? Like how Soldiers suck compared to everyone else?

LordHippoman posted:

You can drop off a unit in any accessible adjacent tile.

...I have absolutely no clue what "adjacent" means. Is that to the side of someone? Above or below them? Or diagonal?

Never was fond of them million dollar words, ya know :cheeky: .

LordHippoman posted:

Heal staves will heal a flat amount, depending on the tier of the stave, plus the user’s Magic. It’s enough to get Ross back to full.

Wait, hold on. The wording's a bit confusing near the beginning. Do you mean they heal you by this formula here?

code:
"Total Amount Healed = Tier of Staff + User's Magic"
Cuz the very start of that sentence reads "Heal staves will heal a flat amount". Not trying to troll, just honestly curious.

LordHippoman posted:

Then I make the brilliant decision of...forgetting to talk to Ross with Eirika.

Is that bad? Does that conversation give you an item?

LordHippoman posted:

Slim Weapons I totally forgot to address last time. They’re E Rank, and have a very low weight, as well as a hit/crit bonus attached. Unfortunately, it comes at a Might tradeoff, which I usually find makes them hard to use practically.

Oh, so THAT'S what they are! Now I get it...

Might it be helpful if you edited your Chapter 1 update to include this correction? For anyone new playing along?

LordHippoman posted:

This is the Support System, a pretty integral part of many Fire Emblem games. As your units bond, you get special dialogue from them, can possibly change their endings, and unlock combat bonuses! [Miscellaneous mechanics explanation]

Ohhh, so...wait, is THAT what you were doing with the 50+ Turn wait (or whatever it was) during Chapter 1? Or was that for ANOTHER reason? I'm guessing the former, but, you never explicitly SAID that this is why you did the 50+ Turn wait in Chapter 1, so, I just wanted to clarify :) .

LordHippoman posted:

Since Seth is Anima and Franz is Light, they both recieve +1 Attack, +1 Defense, +2 Accuracy, +2 Avoid, +2 Crit Chance, and +2 Crit Evasion.

Not bad for a permanent buff! And it’ll only improve.

Yeah...the only problem is, I just CANNOT seem to get them any higher than a C. I mean, I got the C Support just fine, but then the game just...glitched out or something. I waited like, 900 Turns, and STILL never even got their B Support. Or is there another requirement I'm missing?

Also, do you actually SEE these bonuses in the stats menus? Cuz I've already moved on to the next chapter, and...I'm just not seeing those bonuses come up :( ...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 2, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What...is the point of your "critique" post? Like, there's something to be said for asking for an educational LP, but then there's...whatever this is.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

megane posted:

Seth is probably Anime Old, i.e. like 30. An ancient warrior, practically at death's door.

Honestly, even that seems too old given some of what's been said already, let alone anything later in the game. Or rather, he mentioned Garcia retired around 10 years ago and, depending on how you read it, Seth was either a recruit then or possibly only joined some time later (which soldiers still telling stories about him might imply).

Given the average age of said new recruits/soldiers that end up on your team in various Fire Emblems, that probably puts him at mid 20s... maybe late 20s at the outside. Which admittedly is still anime old.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

FPzero posted:

What...is the point of your "critique" post? Like, there's something to be said for asking for an educational LP, but then there's...whatever this is.

Mainly, it's there to show points that I thought had room for further clarification, but delivered in a way that (I hope) eliminates any chance of being misconstrued.

I didn't want him to get the wrong idea (I think he's doing a great job), so I wanted to present my criticisms in a way that was fun (while still being descriptive), instead of negative. That make sense?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 2, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...wait, what?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

...wait, what?

I think a good rule of thumb, whenever you LP a game, is to write as though your audience has never played that kind of game before. So if doing a Fire Emblem LP, you write as though your audience has never played a Fire Emblem game in their lives.

So I pretended I was someone who had little to no knowledge of Fire Emblem, and then tackled the parts that I thought would be confusing for newcomers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

I think a good rule of thumb, whenever you LP a game, is to write as though your audience has never played that kind of game before. So if doing a Fire Emblem LP, you write as though your audience has never played a Fire Emblem game in their lives.

So I pretended I was someone who had little to no knowledge of Fire Emblem, and then tackled the parts that I thought would be confusing for newcomers.

Your mistake is assuming newcomers need to know everything.

If people wanted to know everything about a game, they'd probably play it themselves. They're here to be entertained, and god knows there's enough FE games on the LP Archive if anyone's really confused.

Content: Sacred Stones is one of my favorite games in the series, and its efficiency is one of those reasons. Very little of your time gets wasted, and instead the game concentrates on letting you play through in whatever way you want, and so the net result is a shorter game with lots of replay value.

Also, voting for offbeat Ross option. Anything but the same drat one people like to use.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Berserker, I imagine?

Aside from any potential power, going with that if you're using Ross is just as much about mechanical efficiency as anything else. He just doesn't have the growths to reliably take advantage of the higher totals Hero gets in certain stats, and doing so also locks him at a significantly lower Str than what he will reliably reach. And if you're going through the effort of raising the trainees, why would you want to gimp yourself?

Warrior instead might be interesting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also I know my eyes tend to glaze over when people start talking large amounts of numbers in LPs. It’s a little less bad in Fire Emblem LPs now that I’ve played the games and can apply those numbers (the same for Pokémon LPs), but when I was a noob it made both the LP and the game seem overwhelming.

Basically, Lordhippoman’s style would’ve been enough for me to understand basically what happens and why and what his strategy is without making my brain leak out my ears. Sometimes less detailed explanation is better, especially when easing people into the start of an LP.

• Locked thread