Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I convinced my local Publix to stock KO Tiny Tots and Mediterranean 'dines :dance: :coolfish: :dance: no more ordering and paying up the wazoo for shipping!

e: if you're new to this thread and sardines, brislings (aka sprats, tiny tots or millionaires) are an excellent gateway bait to the world of 'dines

Jikes fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
brislings and other such tots tiny are superior to larger, more vulgar fish

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In a weird twist of fate, my move from Portland, OR to Rockville, MD has me closer to a lot more Asian grocery stores. This means more fresh little ‘dines from the seafood section. The downside is I don’t have a grill anymore, so I turn to you Goons for recipes I can utilize with a regular apartment kitchen.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Iceberg is delicious, it has this subtle sweetness and great texture. Hate on. I'll buy it all for myself.

I like it too, on sandwiches and mixed with other salad stuff. Goons can be counted on to hate on iceberg, yellow mustard, and american cheese. They are all good.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Myron Baloney posted:

iceberg, yellow mustard, and american cheese.
Now THERE'S a salad.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Iceberg is fine if you've got other stuff in there with fiber and vitamins and flavor

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

An iceberg wedge is a great pre-steak salad.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yellow mustard Is Good. Is there a mustard thread? I wish/hope there is a mustard thread.

Today I ate Trader Joe's Smoked Trout in a can AND I ate some Bela 'dines. Today was a good day.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

In a weird twist of fate, my move from Portland, OR to Rockville, MD has me closer to a lot more Asian grocery stores. This means more fresh little ‘dines from the seafood section. The downside is I don’t have a grill anymore, so I turn to you Goons for recipes I can utilize with a regular apartment kitchen.

Make friends with your broiler, the apartment grill.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pahuyuth posted:

Today I ate Trader Joe's Smoked Trout in a can AND I ate some Bela 'dines. Today was a good day.

Hell yeah :coolfish::hf::coolfish:

TJ mackerel is really good too

naem
May 29, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

Yellow mustard Is Good. Is there a mustard thread? I wish/hope there is a mustard thread.

https://www.theonion.com/man-on-internet-almost-falls-into-world-of-diy-mustard-1819571371/amp

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

pahuyuth posted:

You sir have achieved some sort of divinity.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ha, I also just moved from Portland - but to TX - and there is an unexpectedly high number of Asian groceries here, as well (to my delight).

I found polar brislings here, too, and as far as I can tell they are close enough to KO that they are a pretty good deal. But the jalepeno KOs are harder to find. Win some, lose some.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

cocoavalley posted:

Ha, I also just moved from Portland - but to TX - and there is an unexpectedly high number of Asian groceries here, as well (to my delight).

I found polar brislings here, too, and as far as I can tell they are close enough to KO that they are a pretty good deal. But the jalepeno KOs are harder to find. Win some, lose some.

Maybe you could could ask a manager at your HEB about stocking them? I've never actually seen an HEB without a good selection of KOs/canned fishies in general. The only ones they always seem to lack are the Tapatio kind.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Zoe posted:

Maybe you could could ask a manager at your HEB about stocking them? I've never actually seen an HEB without a good selection of KOs/canned fishies in general. The only ones they always seem to lack are the Tapatio kind.

Agreed, they do have a really good selection of KO and other fishies, just the ones I've been to so far don't have the jalepeno. I found them at Randall's though! Just have to make a special trip once in awhile. What I haven't found at all yet are the polar herring in the brown can. I used to be able to get those and the jalepeno dines at Wal-Mart neighborhood markets in the PNW (also a special trip because I generally do not like Wal-Mart). Those stores don't exist here, and the regular store that I checked had neither. Always an adventure when moving to a new city, figuring out new grocery patterns!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Wal-Mart is the only place I can regularly find KO Mackerel fillets. Which means I don't buy them very often :sigh:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ate some Simply Balanced ‘dines in olive oil over my sink last night with sweet chili sauce and chipotle tobasco. Winning move, they are Target’s organic house brand and had some absolutely massive dines. Talking like 3 KO fishies as a single fish. Still went on the fork and down the hatch just fine.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly eat as you wish of course, but for sink eating I greatly prefer the little guys. Big ones are good for mashing and cookin though

I guess sardines are great because there’s a size for everyone? Makes you think

naem
May 29, 2011

Here we have possibly the world's laziest open face sandwich

I don't know if this photo conveys the sheer deliciousness of the situation

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
did you toast the bread?

naem
May 29, 2011

of course

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Just a quick reminder that Riga Sprats own and you can find them in any city of substance. Even my hickly backwater city has a cool, cramped little European shop that stocks them at a mere $1.99 a can. I was glad to find it and not have to mule back some cans during my twice-yearly runs to Atlanta.

I still have a can of Ortiz sardines ($6) that I’ve been aging for a couple years. I hope they’re worth the wait.

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 2, 2018

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Have yet to try the fisherman's eggs recipe from early in the thread, but I diced a red potato and some onions in a pan, then once they were ready added sardines and finally cracked a couple eggs on top and slapped the lid down a few minutes to let them cook together and omg that was amazing.

I wasn't planning to do any actual cooking today but after just a few days of eating them again I have started to crave those oily little bastards.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

naem posted:

Brunswick dines are top tier. They used to have a bad reputation in this thread but we have successfully turned that around.

naem
May 29, 2011

ferroque posted:

Brunswick dines are top tier. They used to have a bad reputation in this thread but we have successfully turned that around.

I don't like their whole fish but these fillets are the tops

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

naem posted:

i like it, it looks good, it looks great.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i did it again

i bought the bag of ice berg mix, you know the one

a tin of dines, just regular and threw it all together

and finish it with italian dressing

for $4 CAD ($3.08 USD) its incredibly crunchy, zesty, and satisfying.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/AgpWX18dby4

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

:350:

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Just organizing some things and thought you goons might like to admire my stash.

Not pictured: pouches of tuna because I didn't want to kill your boners

I've got eggs, crackers and bread and bags of frozen veggies. I'm going to try not to spend any money on groceries until next month.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 4, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

picked up these bad boys

will report back later

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I can no longer consume squid, no matter how delicious. For unlike sardines they are cute and friendly+smart.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sardines are way smarter on account of them always being in schools.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
I wanna go across the border to the states and get a bigass jar of em

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Squid are an evil alien intelligence and would draw you struggling to their death-maw to dismember you with their beaks while completely indifferent to your terror and pain if they were big enough and not safely packed into tiny cans.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Zoe posted:

Squid are an evil alien intelligence and would draw you struggling to their death-maw to dismember you with their beaks while completely indifferent to your terror and pain if they were big enough and not safely packed into tiny cans.

Is this actually backed by science because I would like to know more

naem
May 29, 2011

Zoe posted:

https://youtu.be/9Fkl312lldQ

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I am a big fan of the Hot Titus brand of sardines. Those, some capers, pepper jack cheese, and some rye bread makes for a delicious (if oily) sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

naem posted:

are you eating that on a bedspread?
i don't know sardine thread etiquette
but eating on a blanket seems incorrect

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is this actually backed by science because I would like to know more

the sea is a place of horror and suffering and our ancestors fled it because they were too weak to deal with the things that dwelt there
even today we are denied ~70% of our own planet due to the sheer monstrosity of the things that live in the depths