Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

will it be soldered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I guess they're really just binned and rebadged 8700Ks which would explain why older launch 8700Ks seem to clock better on average than the newer batches.
The thing to keep in mind with soldering is that liquid metal delidded CPUs typically run a few degrees cooler than soldered ones.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Honestly that's kinda cool.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I wonder if they chose that specific price for a reason :corsair:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also in Intel news, Optane DIMMs have arrived in a limited basis, branded "Optane DC Persistent Memory". Up to 512gb/module with ECC, only being shipped to "select partners" this year, with wide availability next year (likely with Cascade Lake?)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12828/intel-launches-optane-dimms-up-to-512gb-apache-pass-is-here

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

feedmegin posted:

I wonder if they chose that specific price for a reason :corsair:

$386 would have been more fair while still hitting the nostalgia.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cygni posted:

Also in Intel news, Optane DIMMs have arrived in a limited basis, branded "Optane DC Persistent Memory". Up to 512gb/module with ECC, only being shipped to "select partners" this year, with wide availability next year (likely with Cascade Lake?)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12828/intel-launches-optane-dimms-up-to-512gb-apache-pass-is-here

I eagerly await on a new set of vulnerabilities where programs are going to be able to read the password that was stored in "persistent memory" last month.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

free would be the most fair also a kiss included imho

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I didn't know they had announced shipping integrated FPGA's, and I just love the phrasing "This marks the first production release of an Intel® Xeon® processor with a coherently interfaced FPGA"

Volguus posted:

I eagerly await on a new set of vulnerabilities where programs are going to be able to read the password that was stored in "persistent memory" last month.
There's a requirement for some server environments that even if the CPU hits something like a machine check, the memory is preserved. Although, I never really got an explanation for what happens after that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Volguus posted:

Intel isn't exactly new to this game and I would expect there to be a background routine that overwrites on free asynchronously.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Intel isn't exactly new to this game and I would expect there to be a background routine that overwrites on free asynchronously.
Nobody is "new to this game". Every big corporation out there is perfectly capable of employing strong security-minded people. However, as the history shows us, they don't. Or they do, but they pay them to shut up (no idea, just guessing). Why? Because they don't care. Nobody gives a flying gently caress about anything until a vulnerability is found and there's bad press about it. At which point, in my opinion, is too late. They only care about the next quarter and the bonus that follows if targets are met. Everything else is irrelevant. Microsoft only started taking security seriously when the very existence of the company was in danger.

But hey, I can't wait to use Optane DIMMs too. To have persistent memory at RAM speeds ... yeah, sign me up.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Theory: Intel is responsible for RAM and NAND flash price increases to make Optane economically viable.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

Theory: Intel is responsible for RAM and NAND flash price increases to make Optane economically viable.

Contra: theory requires Intel to be competent.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
These optane dimms are incredibly cool to me. This has been a dream of computer nerds since the beginning of computers. I fear that tiered storage is too entrenched to have the industry change enough to take advantage of it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

redeyes posted:

These optane dimms are incredibly cool to me. This has been a dream of computer nerds since the beginning of computers. I fear that tiered storage is too entrenched to have the industry change enough to take advantage of it.

:ssh: it’s just another tier :ssh:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PCjr sidecar posted:

:ssh: it’s just another tier :ssh:

It's the kind of thing that the OS itself would have to be redesigned. This is my guess anyways, I am not an OS coder.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wouldn't it suck in a desktop system, because you'd be giving up a memory channel / dual or quad channel for storage that is < ram speed?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 3, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wouldn't it suck in a desktop system, because you'd be giving up a memory channel / dual or quad channel for storage that is < ram speed?

Most consumer boards are dual channel and have 4 dimm slots.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

Why would Samsung and Toshiba participate in making Optane economically viable?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

WhyteRyce posted:

Why would Samsung and Toshiba participate in making Optane economically viable?

Yeah, this. Last I looked Samsung was by a very wide margin the biggest NAND flash manufacturer, and Intel-Micron Flash Technologies was on the small side.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Late night crew computex news:

28 cores @ 5ghz

Cinebench score and clock frequency screenshot to prove it:
Click me for I am too large to not break tables

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 5, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also mentioned offhandedly - the new HEDT (X299 chipset) and "Coffee Lake-S," thought to be the eight-core CPUs, are supposedly 'end of the year' parts.

eames
May 9, 2009

probably two highly binned 14 core HEDT CFL-X (?) dies connected via EMIB and cooled with custom water cooler. i9-7980XE taken to the next level, pointless but impressive numbers regardless. If this is a 14nm++ CPU running at 5 GHz on all cores it pulls at least 800-1000W under load.

The i7-8086K is indeed a "limited edition" (50000 will be made, 8086 of them given away through anniversary sweepstakes). Various OC vendors ordered batches of them for delidding so expect the same TIM. They're really factory binned and rebadged 8700Ks.

eames fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 5, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Probably unaffordable, too.

eames
May 9, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably unaffordable, too.

True, though it doesn't matter as nearly all of them will end up as free review samples in the benchmarking machines of tech youtubers and review sites.

e: pictures of the system: https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-dominus-spotted-with-28-core-cascade-lake-x-cpu

Cascade Lake-X (LGA3647?), 16-Phase VRM with 6 fans, 1600W PSU, i bet the VRM mosfets have a higher dissipation loss than a overclocked 8700K CPU

eames fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 5, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
In the comments, looks like different cooling was used

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The conduits on the right hand side are pretty clearly part of a phase change apparatus of some kind.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

probably two highly binned 14 core HEDT CFL-X (?) dies connected via EMIB and cooled with custom water cooler.

Im pretty sure its a monolithic die. The big-core XCC Skylake SP is already 28 cores. King-daddy at the moment is the Platinum 8180M: 28 cores, 56 threads, 2.5 base and 3.8 boost, 205w TDP.

Intel already brought the HCC dies to HEDT with the 7980XE... sounds like they are going all in with HEDT by bringing XCC down too. Although I have to imagine this is for marketing/bragging way more than actually moving units. Having to run the coolant through a water cooler is probably past the edge of realistic.

e: thats if there are any plans to actually bring the 28 core HEDT to retail in the first place. Could just be a one off goof for all i know.

e2: Anandtech disagrees me so i would like to point out again that i dont know poo poo:

AT posted:

Personally, I feel this new processor is not a higher binned Platinum 8180. Going up from 2.8 GHz base / 3.5 GHz turbo to 5.0 GHz all-core frequency is a big step, assuming the 5.0 GHz value was not an overclock. I would fully expect that this is the point where Intel starts introducing EMIB to CPUs.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 5, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you take away one thing from the whole 1180 launch speculation (node, launch, etc) it should be that the tech media is just making educated guesses like the rest of us. Until they get hands on hardware or briefed by Intel it's all just speculation.

I don't see any reason to assume EMIB is in play without some evidence. Occam's Razor says it's probably the same 28CU chip they already have. People tend to underestimate the speed of high-core-count chips, I bet even at 28C most chips are easily capable of 4.4+ GHz all-core if not higher. There's how many plusses on the end of the node name, now?

I think 5.0 is almost certainly an overclock, that's not Intel's MO and you'd need sub-ambient cooling without a delid. You can't ship a chip like that to consumers.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 5, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This is just for the VRM :stare:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I loving love computer

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Anandtech agrees with Paul that it's probably an OC'd Xeon Platinum.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12907/we-got-a-sneak-peak-on-intels-28core-all-you-need-to-know

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Too bad this is almost guaranteed to find their way to the hands of loud hyperactive youtubers than the likes of AT who can give it a proper investigative analysis.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait to see Linus kill one

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lol

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1004233733057024000?s=19

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Implications being?

Definitely weird though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Implications being?

Linus Tech Tips requested not one but two review samples :downsrim:

I wonder if it has anything to do with 32C threadripper, Intel seems to care a lot about having the highest core count available

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
lmao that would be so insecure

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12907/we-got-a-sneak-peak-on-intels-28core-all-you-need-to-know

Anandtech has more info on the setup. It is a 8180 platinum ($10500) cooled by a water chiller with 1800W cooling power.
The PSU is rated for 1600W and they put a lowly RX580 in the 5GHz machine (all others ran 2x1080tis) so based on the components used it is entirely possible that it consumes 1.5kW under full CPU load.

eames fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

lmao that would be so insecure

I'd err on the side of they're probably 5~ of them in existence and intel only provided them for interviews with press. I can also gather these boards were probably built without any validation\testing with a CPU so this was the first time they POST'ed outside the factory.

But you know the rumor mill: if there is a chance that intel was salty about AMDs 32 core we'll year about it very, very soon.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 6, 2018