Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Just gave this game a go today, I had fun with it soloing the first 3 critters, but having basically zero monster hunter experience, I have a feeling that I'm pretty bad at it. The 3rd fight saw me use all of my healing potions before I nailed down the attack patterns. Also, am I correct in that using the chain blades means that your dodge does not actually give you invincibility frames? Because if so, I may need to go back to the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rorac posted:

Just gave this game a go today, I had fun with it soloing the first 3 critters, but having basically zero monster hunter experience, I have a feeling that I'm pretty bad at it. The 3rd fight saw me use all of my healing potions before I nailed down the attack patterns. Also, am I correct in that using the chain blades means that your dodge does not actually give you invincibility frames? Because if so, I may need to go back to the sword.

No, I think there's a longer delay before the invincibility frames start, so you have to dodge earlier. I think the idea is that you use the quick dash to stay out of the path of attacks altogether, and to use the iframes on the Q backflip dodge when that's not possible.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rorac posted:

In the chain blades, the i-frames are at the END of the animation. Basically, imagine you dash, then casually walk through the enemy attack. It makes it very hard to re-actively dodge; you have to anticipate the attack and dodge beforehand. On the other hand, it is a very fast dodge, so you should mainly just be using it to leave the area. Don't bother trying to perfect dodge with it.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im still amazed by that "things you might not know" video lmao

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Nalin posted:

In the chain blades, the i-frames are at the END of the animation. Basically, imagine you dash, then casually walk through the enemy attack. It makes it very hard to re-actively dodge; you have to anticipate the attack and dodge beforehand. On the other hand, it is a very fast dodge, so you should mainly just be using it to leave the area. Don't bother trying to perfect dodge with it.

That makes sense; I was dodging away and still getting caught by the charge of the 3rd tutorial creature. Eventually I figured out that I should use it as a way to dictate range rather than actually rely on invincibility frames.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I appreciate the way that the quests introduce the sort of rock paper scissors elemental damage elements. Now if only I could git gud with the chain blades for this weaponmaster "break 20 parts with chainblades" weekly.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

NeurosisHead posted:

I appreciate the way that the quests introduce the sort of rock paper scissors elemental damage elements. Now if only I could git gud with the chain blades for this weaponmaster "break 20 parts with chainblades" weekly.

If you can, solo a Quillshot. Every quill counts as a broken part. I don’t even think you need to survive.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Huzzah, I got past the tutorial camera bug.

If anyone else is having trouble, I beat it by running it in windowed mode and dropping the resolution down as far as possible. Then I made the window loving tiny.

Other solutions I saw posted: move the install to an SSD hd if you have one, or move it to your main HD.

As soon as you've beaten the tutorial and youre in the main town, you can quit to desktop and your character will save, you won't have to watch that loving cut scene again.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Also, clueless noob question: since you can't swing your weapons around in town, is there some arena bit where you can practice your combos without being in a hunt?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

el dingo posted:

Also, clueless noob question: since you can't swing your weapons around in town, is there some arena bit where you can practice your combos without being in a hunt?

Nope. Just jump into a private hunt against a T1 Rogue Gnasher or something.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man, the Drask is a huge difficulty spike. It's basically just the Quillshot moves, but with subtly different timings that throw me off.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea I tried Drask for the first time yesterday and it obliterated me.

Is there a page anywhere with all the behemoths and their abilities and weaknesses and stuff? The wiki seems completely useless.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea I tried Drask for the first time yesterday and it obliterated me.

Is there a page anywhere with all the behemoths and their abilities and weaknesses and stuff? The wiki seems completely useless.

Nope. But if you need help on any Behemoth in particular, I can write out everything I know.

Let's start with Drask.

This is Drask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1oAod4cUS8

He is one of the very first walls that you will run into in this game. Everything up to this point should have been sort of easy, but then Drask shows up to gently caress over all your preconceptions. To make matters worse, he is the first Behemoth with *subtle* and *quick* tells to his moves. You have to be aware so you can avoid being hit. Don't get yourself locked in full combo strings.

To start with, Drask is lightning element, which means he is strong against lightning weapons. You don't have to worry much about that as he is the first lightning element Behemoth you face. Next, he is weak to fire. Use a good Embermane or Charrogg weapon against him.

Now, the part that is kinda messed up is that up to this point, a lot of the newer equipment you can get is actually WEAK to lightning. Embermane gear? Weak. Skraev? Weak. Many people are going into the Drask fight with gear that will cause them to get hurt more than usual. A good set of first time gear for Drask is a full Skarn set. It is neutral gear that gives you 10% more health and it lets you avoid getting staggered.

When you first fight Drask, your first goal needs to be to cut off his tail. Nothing else should matter except that tail. It is a huuuge hitbox and will cause lots of pain. Until this tail is off, you need to be paying attention to his head and body. They will let you know when a 360 degree attack is coming or when he is going to lunge to the side. This is a good time to make sure you are good with perfect dodging. Practice rolling THROUGH Drask when he attacks. This is an important skill to have later on.

When the tail is finally off, the fight turns into easy mode. Stay near the hind legs and attack. He will eventually do an attack where he stands in the air, turns, and slams into the ground. When he does that, just roll underneath him to the other side and keep attacking. The tell for this move is actually pretty terrible and will hurt you if you are near the head. There just isn't any good way to avoid the damage from the head when he does this so be careful.

And finally, when Drask runs, he will snipe you if he has line of sight. Stick to cover until you get to his next arena. Pop out to coax out his lightning blast, then jump back into cover while he is charging. Once he shoots it, you are safe to engage. Many times he will be enraged, which means 3 shots. You can just coax out the 3 or wait until his rage ends.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
The more I play the more impressed I am with how the game baby-steps you into understanding elemental affinities, and then more complex mechanics. The next new behemoth after the Drask is the Nayzogga, which is sort of like a lightning elemental cross between the Quillshot and the Embermane. It adds a new mechanic though, where it shoots out spines that land in the ground and then those shoot bolts of electricity at you. You can smash them to stop the lightning bolts. It's a pretty basic thing, but when you look at the trajectory of monster mechanics from the rogue Gnasher to here there's a really well thought out beginner's curve so far. I'm excited to see what else comes with later behemoths.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Nalin posted:

Nope. But if you need help on any Behemoth in particular, I can write out everything I know.

Let's start with Drask.

Thanks dude that was really good. Had better gear and a way better team on my second attempt and beat him comfortably. They totally should make like an in-game bestiary or something though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drask is where I decided it was time to play in group and somehow the pugs made it worse.

Afterwards the pugs were much more competent, it's like the lizard is a rite of passage.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Really loving this while "matchmaking doesn't work at all" experience I'm getting now. It is cool and good when you find a hunt and then it just waits for server until you give up and go play literally anything else.

e: oh wait eight minutes after I started waiting for server it decided to work

sub supau fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 31, 2018

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

TetsuoTW posted:

Really loving this while "matchmaking doesn't work at all" experience I'm getting now. It is cool and good when you find a hunt and then it just waits for server until you give up and go play literally anything else.

e: oh wait eight minutes after I started waiting for server it decided to work

Ah yeah I had that last night once. Ive just started playing and got through the first 3 hunts, then that one there was a 5 minute hang in the airship. When the level loaded there was only 2 of us and we got defeated after a long fight. I guess there's some jank to be expected.

I'm having a blast so far tho and can't wait to finish work and get smushed into paste some more

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

NeurosisHead posted:

The next new behemoth after the Drask is the Nayzogga, which is sort of like a lightning elemental cross between the Quillshot and the Embermane. It adds a new mechanic though, where it shoots out spines that land in the ground and then those shoot bolts of electricity at you. You can smash them to stop the lightning bolts.

Funny thing about Nayzaga. His turrets are immune to lightning damage. If you built yourself a Drask weapon and then brought it to Nayzaga, you won't be able to destroy the turrets and you will have a really bad time.

I've seen ax wielding pubs just stand there charging up level 3 attacks on those turrets and eating attacks right to the face to do zero damage, then whine about how things aren't working.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Elentor posted:

Drask is where I decided it was time to play in group and somehow the pugs made it worse.

Afterwards the pugs were much more competent, it's like the lizard is a rite of passage.

Pugs after Drask/Nayzaga are significantly better and more organized, it's very uncanny. Drask's big bump up in difficulty is a big filter. It's very analogous to tempered Kirin in MHW.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Embermane is the worst to try with pubs, cos it shouldn't even be that hard. Then you tell em over and over not to run off after him before he charges, but it's like they can't even help it :sigh:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Pugs after Drask/Nayzaga are significantly better and more organized, it's very uncanny. Drask's big bump up in difficulty is a big filter. It's very analogous to tempered Kirin in MHW.

That seems to be true in my experience as well. However, you might still have a rough time due to weapon sets through the team. Last night I fought Hellion for the first time, and we ended up with two war pikes, an axe, and a hammer. We had very little damage, and a hard time making good use of the wounds the two war pikes were inflicting. Almost ran out the airship's fuel, and Hellion ran away three separate times before we finally brought him down with everyone out of health potions and a sliver of health left. Fun, but I wouldn't have minded replacing one of the war pikes with a sword or even another axe.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

NeurosisHead posted:

That seems to be true in my experience as well. However, you might still have a rough time due to weapon sets through the team. Last night I fought Hellion for the first time, and we ended up with two war pikes, an axe, and a hammer. We had very little damage, and a hard time making good use of the wounds the two war pikes were inflicting. Almost ran out the airship's fuel, and Hellion ran away three separate times before we finally brought him down with everyone out of health potions and a sliver of health left. Fun, but I wouldn't have minded replacing one of the war pikes with a sword or even another axe.

Crazy, axe is a big damage weapon and the hammer should be comparable to the sword. Maybe they didn't know how to use their weapons effectively? I've taken a hammer to Hellion before and done great. Maybe the hammer user wasn't doing primed attacks? You can easily get some vertical primed attacks in for some great damage while dodging between attacks. Stamina would be a concern, though, but you should be staggering Hellion every so often with primed head hits.

The secret to the axe is the Skarn lantern. When you do a charged attack with an axe, your whole entire combo builds meter (if you start with a level 3 charge, it lasts the whole combo string so you don't need to charge again in the middle, which just wastes time). The longer the charge, the more meter each hit builds. If you start your combo with a charge attack and pop your Skarn lantern after the first hti, each hit of the lantern will ALSO build your meter since it counts as part of your current combo. You can easily get max meter in seconds with this method.

This leads into the other axe secret: a level 3 charge won't get you the most DPS. Don't bother charging (or just charge to level 1) if your special meter is full as it is just wasteful. When combined with the Skarn lantern, you won't need to charge much at all. This will give you lots of time to deal lots of damage.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Nalin posted:

Crazy, axe is a big damage weapon and the hammer should be comparable to the sword. Maybe they didn't know how to use their weapons effectively? I've taken a hammer to Hellion before and done great. Maybe the hammer user wasn't doing primed attacks? You can easily get some vertical primed attacks in for some great damage while dodging between attacks. Stamina would be a concern, though, but you should be staggering Hellion every so often with primed head hits.

The secret to the axe is the Skarn lantern. When you do a charged attack with an axe, your whole entire combo builds meter (if you start with a level 3 charge, it lasts the whole combo string so you don't need to charge again in the middle, which just wastes time). The longer the charge, the more meter each hit builds. If you start your combo with a charge attack and pop your Skarn lantern after the first hti, each hit of the lantern will ALSO build your meter since it counts as part of your current combo. You can easily get max meter in seconds with this method.

This leads into the other axe secret: a level 3 charge won't get you the most DPS. Don't bother charging (or just charge to level 1) if your special meter is full as it is just wasteful. When combined with the Skarn lantern, you won't need to charge much at all. This will give you lots of time to deal lots of damage.

The hammer guy wasn't bothering to attack the head for staggers to let everyone whale on parts was the problem, and axe guy really wanted those L3 charges that never landed because Hellion is super mobile with that giant rear end tail sweep, and the burrow, and all of that garbage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

The hammer guy wasn't bothering to attack the head for staggers to let everyone whale on parts was the problem, and axe guy really wanted those L3 charges that never landed because Hellion is super mobile with that giant rear end tail sweep, and the burrow, and all of that garbage.

Huh, that axe guy might have been me. If they had the Zaga axe, it was because you heal on a perfect stationary max charge.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

el dingo posted:

Ah yeah I had that last night once. Ive just started playing and got through the first 3 hunts, then that one there was a 5 minute hang in the airship. When the level loaded there was only 2 of us and we got defeated after a long fight. I guess there's some jank to be expected.

I'm having a blast so far tho and can't wait to finish work and get smushed into paste some more

There's this REALLY weird thing where if someone is queuing up as a group, you can end up with 5 people in the airship and everything goes to hell. I only realized what was happening when someone was talking in our airship who was not on our screen. When that happens, you will not get in the mission, even after the 5 mins are up, until you're down to 4 people.

It's incredibly frustrating.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Ran into a thing today where the 4th person in the airship was invisible. So that can happen too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They have to be feature complete or quadruple the amount of content by August or else this game is going to die off, and MH:W is going to ravage it's core fan base.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey I was wondering if there was a thread for this.

Thanks for the Drask advice; that's the wall I'm currently at. I already knew about the "my armor weak to lightning" thing but the rest of the advice is helpful.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Turtlicious posted:

They have to be feature complete or quadruple the amount of content by August or else this game is going to die off, and MH:W is going to ravage it's core fan base.

This. Its fun enough for a bit, but spitballing here: they'd need to add in secondary objectives to islands, deeper crafting, more combos, maybe combos based off utilising terrain, pickups/powerups in the arenas

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

People keep saying this, but it may not be true. Apparently the devs have said that the vast majority of their players aren't going from Monster Hunter Community -> Dauntless, they're going Free to Play Community -> Dauntless. We'll see what happens though.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Turtlicious posted:

HOT TAKE: 2 week Open Beta game not as fleshed out or polished as 15 year old franchise

I don't think they're trying to beat MH. They saw that there wasn't a lot going on for this genre in the PC market and they decided to make a cool game. I'm sure they're fully aware that MH:W is going to knock down that door soon.

Most people are in agreement that this is basically just a seat warmer for MH:W but hey, they're staying F2P and maybe they can carve out a little nook of their own akin to Warframe or Path of Exile. Just let the devs do their thing they seem to be p chill dudes and really open with the community.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think this game definitely has its place in the world. I don't think anyone is under any illusion that Dauntless can match the depth and complexity of Monster Hunter, an established series that already gone through its awkward growing up phase over the last fourteen years. Monster Hunter didn't get massive and 'mainstream' until its fifth generation. It's fine for Dauntless to start off small and find its baby steps. I personally think it's off to a very positive start and the developers have a lot of momentum going for them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes I agree, but I do worry about so many other early access titles that are smothered in their cribs. This game is fun though, even if clans cost money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

7c Nickel posted:

People keep saying this, but it may not be true. Apparently the devs have said that the vast majority of their players aren't going from Monster Hunter Community -> Dauntless, they're going Free to Play Community -> Dauntless. We'll see what happens though.

This is my thought, the amount of people going from free to play game to $60 game that came out on another system 6-8 months ago isn't gonna destroy the game. Certainly not one that's actually getting attention.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Here is the Trello that the devs have been using:

https://trello.com/b/6gfIQvwi/dauntless-roadmap

You can see what they are currently working on.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have tried doing private matches against Drask and nope. Only way I could do it was with other people. I am bad.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So on Maelstrom what's the optimal route? Given that the elemental heroic fights are trivial but the damage output of the light bug is very high, the path I'm thinking should be upgrading Ragetail to the max for the defensive bonus and either Ragetail or Razorwing for a weapon as the pre-rezakiri/shrowd sets. Is there a better way/set?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

This game feels like it needs a lot more content to keep people interested. I'm like 10ish hours in and I already feel like I've done most of what there is to do, which doesn't bode well for a F2P game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Elentor posted:

So on Maelstrom what's the optimal route? Given that the elemental heroic fights are trivial but the damage output of the light bug is very high, the path I'm thinking should be upgrading Ragetail to the max for the defensive bonus and either Ragetail or Razorwing for a weapon as the pre-rezakiri/shrowd sets. Is there a better way/set?

Honestly, I've gotten almost all the armor sets in the Maelstrom so far. They are all fairly useful. Personally, though, I think you should focus on the Shockjaw Nayzaga and the Razorwing Kharabak.

Shockjaw Nayzaga will give you +3 Medic off the set and it shouldn't be too hard to get to +5 or +6. Being able to revive pubbies to full or almost full life is a pretty handy thing to have.

Razorwing Kharabak armor is great for Shrowd. It has deconstruction on it, which makes it easier to destroy Shrowd's death bombs before they blow up and kill everybody. It also has +part damage stats which makes it great for farming break parts, especially in T5 where you won't get all the break parts in a fight.

That said, the other armor is pretty great too. The Ragetail set will make you immune to the Wounding status effect, which makes it easier to hunt Kharabak. I believe it also has +HP stats too.

On the weapon front, I think a Kharabak weapon might be the best. You get +part damage on it. Shockjaw Nayzaga's axe is pretty great too with the self-heal ability; I've been trying to fit out one of those.

So, I would say Kharabak weapon and Nayzaga/Kharabak armor should be your initial focus.

• Locked thread