Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is this?

Dauntless is a Hunter type game along the lines of Touikiden, God Eater, and... Uhhh One I forget, but it's on my tip of the tongue. It's some sort of hunter game? They have tons of monsters. It apes a lot of the style of that. It goes for hyper stylized Graphics, and it's gone through some optimization passes recently, and overall I'm finding it fun! With people getting hyped about Monster Hunter World, and the only way being able to play that is by dropping a ton of money on a console, I thought those of us without could hop on this offshoot and see if there's anything worthwhile here.

Where do I buy it?

You can buy it at playdauntless.com for $40, or subscribe to Tritemare whose giving away a key for anyone who subs (that's $5 or free with prime.) https://www.twitch.tv/tritemare If you subscribe while he's not streaming, I believe you can just pop in his discord to get a key, but I'm not sure because I subscribed while he was streaming.

What's there to kill?

There's 5 tiers of monsters, and 15 different monsters to hunt, some monsters get reintroduced later as harder versions with an expanded moveset and some differences in health. It ranges from Electric Cannon Lizards to Snowy Owl Bears. It's got a bit of variation and the content seems to be holding my attention pretty well.

What can I kill with?

There are 5 Weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oep4xoWwVBc

Chain Blades are a quick hitting weapon that gives you a short dash teleport and a button to grapple towards the monster, you charge your grapple by hitting the poo poo out of the monster, It also has a huge ranged mode where you grab your blades by the chain and go God of War on some poor behemoth.

You can read more about them, and find the weapon differences here: https://dauntless.gamepedia.com/Chain_Blades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdW9dTiv4lM

Axes are a slow combo reliant weapon, you are constantly hitting the monster with fully charged smashes and in doing so are charging your special meter, the higher your special meter gets the more damage you do until you get 3 levels of special charge then you can unleash with an even more powerful attack.

You can read more about them, and find the weapon differences here: https://dauntless.gamepedia.com/Axe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxBKGZe5LA

Hammers are a huge cannon on a stick you are constantly hitting the monster to charge your cannon, and then firing that cannon straight into your monsters face. Be careful though, as the more you fire your cannon the closer you'll get to needing to reload. You loop your combos with reloading and massive elemental blasts to dumpster a monster quickly.

You can read more about them and blahblahblah: https://dauntless.gamepedia.com/Hammer#Xbox One Controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLW8aDaneDM

Swords You see monster? You stab monster. They're versatile, well balanced, and perfect for people who like combos but don't like the nauseating pace the Charge Blade requires. You use fast attacks to charge your special meter, and then either finish those combos with an elemental blast, or save up to 5 bars for a special overcharged mode, where you do extra damage for a short while. I'd like it to the Longsword (sort of) from Monhun.

Read more here: https://dauntless.gamepedia.com/Sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGK3vMX8XaI

War Pike is a weapon that you charge by poking a monster in the face, and spinning all over his body to charge a laser rifle, which you then use to blast the monster into tiny chunks, you combine spinning, shooting, and poking to run circles around your monster! You can sidestep while comboing to get iFrames and keep up with the monster but I have trouble pulling it off with a controller.

here: https://dauntless.gamepedia.com/War_Pike

Yes there is a discord, there's not a guild yet, but I'm working on it!

Let me know if there's anything else you'd want in the OP.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reserved

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Looks/Sounds cool, but waiting for release to try it for free.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I almost pity the devs but then again they did decide to charge like 40$ bucks for access AND introduce the game with some messed up progression tied to multiple layers of RNG, so...

Yeah.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I just wish motherfucker had an Asia server

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I just got an invite to the closed beta and it included two extra keys to give away. Will trip report tomorrow.

I'm using one of the keys but first person to quote this can have the other key.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though

clone on the phone posted:

I just got an invite to the closed beta and it included two extra keys to give away. Will trip report tomorrow.

I'm using one of the keys but first person to quote this can have the other key.

May I have a key please. Email is or pms.

Oriental Hugs fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 16, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Oriental Hugs posted:

May I have a key please.

Sent you a PM

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 16, 2018

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though

Awesome thanks!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The core gameplay loop of kill monsters, craft gear from monster bits to kill bigger monsters seems fairly solid but unpolished.

The total package still feels like an alpha build. The maps are empty and pretty bland, while being large.

Even at 100% resolution scale it still looks like it's rendering at 720p when playing at 1080p. It all looks a bit blurry.

I only put an hour or so into it, but I'll dive in again soon. Despite the flaws I'm still interested.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The hammer tutorial is actually a bit out of date. No surprise since this is an actual beta and not just a promo one. They introduced Primed Hits, hitting the shot button during an attack to boost damage, as well as Quick Reload, hitting q right after an attack. This means you can do attack, prime, reload for every hit in a 3 hit combo and then finish with full ammo for the full burst finisher. 10 button inputs for a 4 hit combo, but it does so much damage if you do it right.

You can also double click fire to do a shot dodge that does damage while evading.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Never played a monster hunter game so I have nothing to compare against but I've actually been playing a lot of this over the last few days and it's really grown on me. The weapons all feel different and good. Combat feels pretty good, and the cash shop is cosmetics and minor buffs that are shared with your whole party.

Their website shows what they are working on next for the game and it's got me pretty excited.

If you're on the fence you can't go wrong giving it a try once it hits open beta.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
This probably won't be relevant to anyone else but you never know. The UI is almost completely nonfunctional in 5:4 resolutions. 720p or bust, apparently.

Yes I still regularly play games at 1280x1024, why do you ask?

Fun game, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Some changes are in the pipeline for Axe.

https://playdauntless.com/news/combat-update-axe-revisited

The basics are that the stationary level 3 axe charge is gonna get super armor if you release right when you flash. Some more differentiation between the stationary and moving charge attacks and a new finisher. Its basically the Switchaxe Wild Swing only its gets faster and does more damage the longer you keep it going. Also you can chain together the two attack types together to make more fluid combos.

https://playdauntless.com/images/AxeResolve.mp4
A dude super armoring through a lightning blast.

https://playdauntless.com/images/AxeMoves.mp4
Just showing off some combo paths.

https://playdauntless.com/images/AxeCombo.mp4
A dude eating poo poo while trying to do the finisher.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
So, goons that still play this, is this game actually good after the first couple days? I saw a couple guys try it out on stream, and they seemed to get into a repetitive rut after the first several hours.

Should I get it for money, get it for free, or get Monster Hunter PC?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you don't have a ps4, get this for 5$ by subscribing to a twitch streamer. Then forget about it when monster hunter PC comes out because that's going to be amazing.

If you don't really have a hankering for monster hunter on PC then I'd just wait.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Elpato posted:

So, goons that still play this, is this game actually good after the first couple days? I saw a couple guys try it out on stream, and they seemed to get into a repetitive rut after the first several hours.

Should I get it for money, get it for free, or get Monster Hunter PC?

yeah i don't know if recent updates have changed it but when i was playing it it got hella repetitive real quick. if you're really jonesing for some monster hunting and it's going cheap, yeah maybe, but otherwise nah

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

yeah i don't know if recent updates have changed it but when i was playing it it got hella repetitive real quick. if you're really jonesing for some monster hunting and it's going cheap, yeah maybe, but otherwise nah

Well I mean it's going to be free to play and entering open beta next month. So yeah, cheap would describe it. I think it's pretty good, but like any new monster hunter style game, it suffers a bit from sameness since they haven't had 20 years to build out the roster.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

cool well for free it'd be fine. and it wasn't really the "roster" so much as the basically empty maps, lack of meaningful crafting, lack of any sense of progression, and underdeveloped monster fights, but to be fair that's all stuff I expect will fill out over time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, they're working on revamp passes for the old monsters right now. The Owlbear family was the first monster they developed and it recently got the first update. Less predictable, more flashy moves that chain together better and just overall a more engaging fight.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
So, I did the subscribing to Twitch thing to get a couple keys, and I have this now.

That is... one hell of a jump in difficulty from tier two to three.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Open beta is live but there’s a 100,000 person 1hr plus queue atm.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

clone on the phone posted:

Open beta is live but there’s a 100,000 person 1hr plus queue atm.

Their time estimates need a little work

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

TetsuoTW posted:

Their time estimates need a little work

Well they DO say "plus"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

that plus is gonna buckle under the amount of heavy lifting it's doing rn

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It feels like the main advantage Dauntless has is that it's going to be an F2P online game meaning it will continually add more content instead of having to wait years for the next installment. Then again MonHun will always be more polished and cinematic, even.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I have 300+ hours on PS4 MHW and I'm really looking forward to trying this out. It's good to have games inspired by our favourites.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

so after like four and a half hours wait I finally got on

They really did some work since I played closed beta. Everything looks nicer, the controls feel better, there's cinematics and poo poo. I only played the hunted the first three rogues and basically did the tutorial but it seems p alright, hopefully it doesn't tail off as quick as before did for me because as long as they ain't announcing a loving date for MHW PC this gonna have to do

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've been in the queue for 6 hours and still can't get in. Started at 112k, currently 40k in line or so.

TetsuoTW posted:

hopefully it doesn't tail off as quick as before did for me because as long as they ain't announcing a loving date for MHW PC this gonna have to do

:same:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Some day I'll get to play Dauntless again. And it will be good!

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.
I didn't hate the KB/M controls, but my current queue:play ratio is literally 24:1

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm just waiting. Launches are always a shitshow.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

This game is kinda fun!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
decided to give this a try, my login queue dutifully ticked down for 10 minutes and then hit 3468 people in queue and is estimating 60+ minutes. its been stuck like this for like half an hour now lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I downloaded the game, waited through the login queue and after doing character creation and sitting through the intro cutscene 3 times because for some reason it doesn't save your character after the editor ended up at 3 variations of this view and couldn't do anything. Might wait for a few patches.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yeah they’ve definitely been having some server troubles due to the flood of people.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
game seems fun right now but having to relaunch it after every hunt because of matchmaking failing is a bit of a drag

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I've played a few games, got to the third or fourth island. It's an ok game I guess, I was expecting a bit more complexity. Perhaps there are more later in the game but the four different areas I've travelled to so far are basically the same trees and grass on floating rocks aesthetic with slightly different layouts.
There are countless bugs, matchmaking problems and interface issues (especially with controllers) but that's par for the course for beta releases - of which this game definitely fits the 'beta' billing far more than other glorified demos by other, bigger developers.
More environmental variety, more things to do in combat besides just twatting the monster over and over again, and a better user interface would be the biggest improvements the game needs in my view.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've played a few games, got to the third or fourth island. It's an ok game I guess, I was expecting a bit more complexity. Perhaps there are more later in the game but the four different areas I've travelled to so far are basically the same trees and grass on floating rocks aesthetic with slightly different layouts.
There are countless bugs, matchmaking problems and interface issues (especially with controllers) but that's par for the course for beta releases - of which this game definitely fits the 'beta' billing far more than other glorified demos by other, bigger developers.
More environmental variety, more things to do in combat besides just twatting the monster over and over again, and a better user interface would be the biggest improvements the game needs in my view.

Some of that comes in with later monsters having more going on and some once you acquire better lanterns. Beyond the starter lantern, they all come with a self buff that you tap to activate and an ability that you hold to activate. These are generally scaled down versions of Behemoth powers. For instance the Drask lantern has a short +dmg buff and a piercing lightning bolt that hit's every part it passes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I signed up for this at some point and forgot about it until they emailed me to tell me they updated their privacy policy. I downloaded it but apparently there are 70,000 people in front of me in queue so much for that.

• Locked thread