Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Imagine if every single moron out there got to give an official name to his piece-of-poo poo pickup?

My 98 Ford Ranger is named "Bart"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I named my first car but haven't cared enough to name any after that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm really digging the pacing of the show. I recall the book sort of dragging through Clarissa's sabotage setup.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
They've compressed hundreds of pages into like 10 minutes of screentime. Sure it's somewhat helped by Ana being introduced earlier but still.

This show really is something of a masterclass on adapting books to tv.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

bloom posted:

They've compressed hundreds of pages into like 10 minutes of screentime. Sure it's somewhat helped by Ana being introduced earlier but still.

This show really is something of a masterclass on adapting books to tv.

Yeah. It's clearly superior to the books, which I also loved. I really look forward to the show, because it keeps me in pretty good suspense even as a book reader. I know the major beats about to land (Eros, ring, Miller) but they add cool ancillary stuff (Kotyar, Errinwright's expanded role) and shift the timing enough that it feels fresh.

It's fun to compare that to Game of Thrones, where it generally followed the books slavishly until the books ended, at which point it went kinda bonkers in an entertaining-but-not-exciting kind of way.

The last example where I felt a show significantly improved upon the books was Dexter, at least for the first couple seasons. Those books were really dour, the show was pretty fun.

Kudos for Franck and Abraham for recognizing what works and what doesn't on the screen.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
And now I can't read the unspoiled thread without getting :tinfoil: over posters making what very well could be reasonable inferences based on the information available.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Pander posted:

Errinwright's expanded role

The s2 episode that played with the idea that Errinwright might commit suicide was so good. Even knowing the broad strokes of what was going to happen I was 100% convinced he was going to off himself.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

We didn't get "We need to talk," but I'm really happy to hear "113 times a second it reaches out" and, of course, "doors and corners"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The ending was strange, either they froze on the solar system side of the ring or ring space has stars in it on the show. I hope they didn't do that and get rid of the creepiness.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

The ending was strange, either they froze on the solar system side of the ring or ring space has stars in it on the show. I hope they didn't do that and get rid of the creepiness.

my read was that the ship started to slow down as soon as it touched the ring. hopefully beyond the ring will be the creepy starless void we're expecting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

uber_stoat posted:

my read was that the ship started to slow down as soon as it touched the ring. hopefully beyond the ring will be the creepy starless void we're expecting.

Hope so. I need my hell dimension.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
The space around the ring was warped looking, like gravitational lensing or some poo poo, so they're at least at the event horizon or whatever. And the Y Que clearly passed thorugh. I'm thinking that they've just changed the nature of the slow zone slightly so they can space out the holy poo poo what the gently caress is that?!? reveals a bit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Dandelion Sky is still an episode title as far as I know.

But yeah, it looked like the Rocinante didn't go through the gate yet, and everything stopped right outside it. It's not just whatever hit the gate because the missile stopped too. Who the gently caress knows what's going on! I'm excited to be mystified.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Maybe they're going to introduce the "I can see though matter" insanity way early?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

Previews look like they are falling through a ring-puddle event horizon, looks pretty cool/nauseating:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Milo and POTUS posted:

I named my first car but haven't cared enough to name any after that.

I named mine Ziggy Cardust.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Someone on Reddit suggested that the Slow Zone might be blue and weird as long as it's in slow mode, but switch to the no-stars look after they turn it off. Or they just thought that all black would look less impressive on TV, but I hope we get that version at some point.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Chard posted:

Maybe they're going to introduce the "I can see though matter" insanity way early?
If you're referring to the Duarte stuff, I feel like we kinda got that with the handful of shots of Mao and Strickland from Katoa's perspective when he was hybridizing, which was cool.

I don't see why that'd be the case here though, given Holden is (35 times confirmed! heh) not infected.

Jumping on the "they must've tweaked how the ring/zone work a little" crowd; going only by what we saw with the Y Que?, it's reasonable to assume that an object slows down on our side of the gate the moment it touches the space between. But as noted, that does not explain the apparent equal slowdown of the definitely not touching the gate missile.

So, I'm excited to see what the explanation is. Investigator's influence? Ring just having a bit of a buffer zone and starting to get slightly more aggressive with what it will slow down? Other?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Both the missile and Roci are beyond the gate in that last shot. Ring space is that weird blue color in the show. The blue people are seeing in the Ring on the solar system side is not an event horizon but is the actual color of the space beyond the Ring. The Roci is sitting at a standstill in the final shot and the missile is showing the purple outline of an object whose acceleration has been instantly stolen from it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Both the missile and Roci are beyond the gate in that last shot. Ring space is that weird blue color in the show. The blue people are seeing in the Ring on the solar system side is not an event horizon but is the actual color of the space beyond the Ring. The Roci is sitting at a standstill in the final shot and the missile is showing the purple outline of an object whose acceleration has been instantly stolen from it.

Didn't they mention Eros glowing purple when it moved?

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
The slow zone only starts inside the ring right? This is one of 1300 rings? Haven't read the books in a while.
On that, wasn't the slow zone imposed after the firefight on the sentral hub?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
iirc the slow zone was already in effect but it got even slower when the martians tried to murk Holden on the hub station.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

bloom posted:

iirc the slow zone was already in effect but it got even slower when the martians tried to murk Holden on the hub station.

Right except the grenade was launched at a protodrone, not Holden.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bitprophet posted:

If you're referring to the Duarte stuff, I feel like we kinda got that with the handful of shots of Mao and Strickland from Katoa's perspective when he was hybridizing, which was cool.

I don't see why that'd be the case here though, given Holden is (35 times confirmed! heh) not infected.

What I'm talking about (I think) only happened to people and ships that gotten eaten by the rings in transit - folks on board were described as i.e. being unable to see screens because they were seeing the atoms and particles the screen was made of instead. Then they presumably got eaten by a space Cthulu or something. It never happened to the Roci in the books, but given what's happening with the missile and/or Holden's perception of time, it made me think they might be doing something with that effect here instead.

e: possibly also around 'the bullet' that Miller-crab gave his second life to defeat, if I remember right

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I get the feeling Bobbie is going to be part of the recon team that picks up Holden on the station. Perhaps because they have history?

The last shot of ep8 is from beyond the meniscus of the ring, so they are already in Gate Space. It is kind of misleading because the background is the solar system, but if you look at the stars there is a lensing (distortion) effect, and the ring is curved away from the Roci.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Chard posted:

What I'm talking about (I think) only happened to people and ships that gotten eaten by the rings in transit
Oh, that effect! Yea I can see how you'd arrive there. Guess we'll see.

Re: others pointing out the last shot is from within the ring: I kinda get it now, but yea, seeing the stars in the background was definitely misleading me - perhaps a problem with knowing the books being an active problem, I was expecting the non-starry sky on the other side (and also not expecting a tunnel effect).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think straight no-stars inky black might be another 'doesn't play well on TV' sorta thing. I'm pretty fine with them being in a nebula or whatever. Might even significantly change when it goes into slower-zone mode.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Someone also suggested they might make it black when Miller turns it all off, so that would be creepy.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did the books go to such lengths to make a point of just how nice it is aboard the Thomas Prince?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

zeal posted:

Did the books go to such lengths to make a point of just how nice it is aboard the Thomas Prince?

Yeah, it's full of rich people. The scene with the priest pontificating and Anna's friend talking about donating to his megachurches? Her name's Tilly in the book and there's a bunch more of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zeal posted:

Looking up Thomas Prince I found out her name isn't actually anna but Annushka.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Looking up Thomas Prince I found out her name isn't actually anna but Annushka.

Isn't that just "Little Anna" in Russian?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah that's a diminutive, all Russian names have those forms.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Forgot the name of the head priest in the book, but the actor is a rather prominent that-guy, so I guess they'll be following up on these plot threads.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Spite posted:

Isn't that just "Little Anna" in Russian?

Sure but that's not what I found surprising.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Collateral posted:

The last shot of ep8 is from beyond the meniscus of the ring, so they are already in Gate Space. It is kind of misleading because the background is the solar system, but if you look at the stars there is a lensing (distortion) effect, and the ring is curved away from the Roci.

I don't think so. It appears that the Roci's rear end end is still pointed at the ring, if they had passed through already then the ring would be in front of the ship with the rear end pointing away from it.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not an expert in topology but I don't think it's possible for the concavity of the ring to face that way without having passed through it. The perspective of the camera must be beyond the ring, and I think it's meant to be disorienting on purpose. It might be that to outside observers the horizon or whatever it is appears to be a surface but from the perspective of a passenger it looks more or less like moving through regular space albeit with a speed limit and the blue surface expanding around them.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Joe Mantis posted:

I'm not an expert in topology but I don't think it's possible for the concavity of the ring to face that way without having passed through it. The perspective of the camera must be beyond the ring, and I think it's meant to be disorienting on purpose. It might be that to outside observers the horizon or whatever it is appears to be a surface but from the perspective of a passenger it looks more or less like moving through regular space albeit with a speed limit and the blue surface expanding around them.

It's definitely meant to be disorienting on purpose.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had forgotten that Clarissa's alias was Melba and now I realize why Amos called her Peaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

withak posted:

I had forgotten that Clarissa's alias was Melba and now I realize why Amos called her Peaches.

I had to google this, and apparently I've been missing out on a tasty-sounding dessert

• Locked thread