Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

DaveKap posted:

My favorite part of threads like this are the part where one side of an off-topic disagreement decides to settle the disagreement, plenty of normal posts are made, and then some third party from left field decides it's time to bring back the disagreement which leads to another couple pages of argument.

Just kidding. It's the worst part of every thread ever. So how about we get on topic and love this shot:

Gonna be honest, I thought it was some kind of edit at first. Reading that he actually slammed his body down like this as a stunt is pretty impressive. I also love that whoever does the little UI for the camera is making sure it's accurately representing changes in the shot. Makes me wonder if they literally programmed something to generate numbers or if they're just manually doing it.

I think this has to be the best stunt of the season just with how effective it is, certainly it's the best stunt+camerawork combo. Like the way it's shot I didn't even think for a second it was practical since I couldn't picture his body hitting the floor that quickly even if he had thrown himself down. I mean, if you pull off a stunt that I think couldn't possibly be a stunt, that's gonna impress me more than any fancy cgi/wirework/fistfight thing you can come up with.

So glad this show got renewed and that I'll get to see so much more crazy sci-fi stuff on a streaming T.V. analog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd really like to see some behind the scenes footage that shows that stunt from a different angle. Seems like it would be really difficult to hit the deck that fast without someone knocking you down.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NowonSA posted:

I think this has to be the best stunt of the season just with how effective it is, certainly it's the best stunt+camerawork combo. Like the way it's shot I didn't even think for a second it was practical since I couldn't picture his body hitting the floor that quickly even if he had thrown himself down. I mean, if you pull off a stunt that I think couldn't possibly be a stunt, that's gonna impress me more than any fancy cgi/wirework/fistfight thing you can come up with.

So glad this show got renewed and that I'll get to see so much more crazy sci-fi stuff on a streaming T.V. analog.

It's a really good stunt. You know it's fake though. He fell faster than gravity.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Didnt they say they scrapped all of their sets, when everyone though the show was dead - was that real? Does that mean they have to rebuild everything for the Amazon run?.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Monglo posted:

Didnt they say they scrapped all of their sets, when everyone though the show was dead - was that real? Does that mean they have to rebuild everything for the Amazon run?.

I think Avasarala's office was the only one taken down. They got stopped pretty early on in the teardown process.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So are we all giddy in anticipation of the show's budget dramatically increasing now that it's a vanity project financed by the world's possibly wealthiest man?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Milky Moor posted:

I think Avasarala's office was the only one taken down. They got stopped pretty early on in the teardown process.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they dragged out the whole renewal thing a bit for some cheap publicity. Seems like an obvious pr stunt to me.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So are we all giddy in anticipation of the show's budget dramatically increasing now that it's a vanity project financed by the world's possibly wealthiest man?

I'm mainly excited that there's a good chance all the books will be adapted now. Always expected the show to die out at some point, but if Bezos really is a fan we might get to see it all on screen. Not even sure what an increased budget would translate into when the show already looks amazing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I look forward to Bezos retconning the horrible "slingshotting around moons and then activating the thruster like it's no big deal" scene from last season. fwiw.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bloom posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they dragged out the whole renewal thing a bit for some cheap publicity. Seems like an obvious pr stunt to me.

If that's the case then it worked on me. Perhaps because it coincided with the show's action and plot taking a (relative) uptick, but I only started to really care about the show once I heard it was being cancelled.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think the renewal dragged because of the bizarre contractual situation where the show was jointly owned by multiple parties and SyFy only owned the terrestrial broadcast rights in the US and Canada; Bezos clearly wants the show to stream on Amazon Prime rather than on Netflix so I'd assume there were some hurdles there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a really good stunt. You know it's fake though. He fell faster than gravity.

The ship was accelerating. He met the floor on the way up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rocksicles posted:

The ship was accelerating. He met the floor on the way up

Well if the show is already being filmed on a real spaceship, I fail to see how Bezos’ billions could improve things.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a joke about the twin towers. I need to keep my fat loving mouth shut.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Platystemon posted:

Well if the show is already being filmed on a real spaceship, I fail to see how Bezos’ billions could improve things.

Live streamed from the belt.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a joke about the twin towers. I need to keep my fat loving mouth shut.

Nah, gotta work out the material.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Monglo posted:

They never took down all the sets but the cancellation was real. Some of the actors were looking for new jobs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Milo and POTUS posted:

They probably sped up the falling bit in editing, given the ship started accelerating.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Protomolecule can't eat steel beams.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

bloom posted:

Not even sure what an increased budget would translate into when the show already looks amazing.

Its the interiors that suffer the most from the shows low budget. The Roci hasn't been fully explored on screen for example, and the Behemoth is too tight and constrained compared the wide open fields it's said to have in the books.

Plus, as the story continues events get bigger and I can't imagine some of the stuff coming up would be easy to do with the shows current budget.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Protomolecule can't eat steel beams.

speaking of, I've been thinking why the protomolecule bit on the Rocci hasn't been spreading along the ship, as compared to the earther vessel that ate a protomolecule missile during the Io climax. Either there isn't enough radiation for it to grow because of superior martian radiation insolation, or the protomolecule has realized it has the ability to try and stay hidden? Or maybe some part of Miller still in there is protecting the rocci from being engulfed?

The obvious answer is that we need a plot device for the Rocci to further engage with alien stuff, but really at this point I would have imagined blue pollen to saturate the air unless some process within the protomolecule has deliberately stopped that from happening.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 4, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PriorMarcus posted:

Its the interiors that suffer the most from the shows low budget. The Roci hasn't been fully explored on screen for example, and the Behemoth is too tight and constrained compared the wide open fields it's said to have in the books.

Well, the Behemoth is because we haven't been inside the drum yet. The bridge and service corridors are normal ship stuff.

I think the only parts of the Roci we haven't seen are the machine shop and engine room. It's more open on the show, in the books they mention a lot of auto-closing internal hatches to protect against depressurization. Like Alex's station is an enclosed cockpit, not just up some stairs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

double nine posted:

speaking of, I've been thinking why the protomolecule bit on the Rocci hasn't been spreading along the ship, as compared to the earther vessel that ate a protomolecule missile during the Io climax. Either there isn't enough radiation for it to grow because of superior martian radiation insolation, or the protomolecule has realized the ability of staying hidden? Or maybe some part of Miller still in there is protecting the rocci from being engulfed?

It needs radiation to stay active and not slip into hibernation. It needs organic matter to grow.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

It needs radiation to stay active and not slip into hibernation. It needs organic matter to grow.

So what you are saying is its a show-er not a grower?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

I've not watched Hung sorry.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

While Bezos is predicted to be recognized as the world's first trillionaire in the pretty immediate future, it should be noted that Valdimir Putin is presently regarded as the world's wealthiest man. Although he typically isn't listed in the same sort of Forbes rankings because his wealth is inseparable from the Russian Federation. I.e. He is the state.

But to your question, I'm glad the show has been renewed, of course, but I don't have any particular expectations about the production values. It could be they get an infusion of cash and spend it well, or they could fumble it and run way over budget to no effect, or they could be hamstrung trying to turn everything back into season 4 without a clear line of continuity between the two. At least we have a few more episodes of Season 3.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

PriorMarcus posted:

I've not watched Hung sorry.

Don't worry. It wasn't even a show-er.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hung is good. Team Lenore!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Expanse is going to pull a grand tour and they're going to blow millions of dollars on a full sized set for the inside of the Behemoth's habitat

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Every week the Roci is going to crash into a different continent.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looking forward to the episode where Holden, Amos, and Alex each have to spend 3000 pounds buying a second hand space rover, and then transport them to the surface of Ganymede where the producers will run a series of tests, to determine which of them made the best purchase

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

NTRabbit posted:

Looking forward to the episode where Holden, Amos, and Alex each have to spend 3000 pounds buying a second hand space rover, and then transport them to the surface of Ganymede where the producers will run a series of tests, to determine which of them made the best purchase

I'd watch the gently caress out of this show.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Well viewers, as you'd expect I've done this properly

[cut to a ship that's inexplicably on fire despite being powered down in a vacuum]

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

bloom posted:

Well viewers, as you'd expect I've done this properly

[cut to a ship that's inexplicably on fire despite being powered down in a vacuum]

"You utter pillock"

It would end up being an over powered and underengineered rocket buggy with racing stripes, an original moon landing rover, and confusingly a late model Dodge Charger

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 4, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

I think the only parts of the Roci we haven't seen are the machine shop and engine room. It's more open on the show, in the books they mention a lot of auto-closing internal hatches to protect against depressurization. Like Alex's station is an enclosed cockpit, not just up some stairs.

Isn’t the machine shop the room where Amos caught blind cameraman messing around?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t the machine shop the room where Amos caught blind cameraman messing around?

You're probably right since he stole a tool in there. I don't remember seeing that room before.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That was the room where Prax and Amos had Fun with Tools in variable gravity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NTRabbit posted:

"You utter pillock"

It would end up being an over powered and underengineered rocket buggy with racing stripes, an original moon landing rover, and confusingly a late model Dodge Charger

Holden, you bloody idiot, what did you do to my life support?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Personally, Im happy next season we wont have to watch 1 episode per week

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Elias_Maluco posted:

Personally, Im happy next season we wont have to watch 1 episode per week

I doubt they'll release it all at once, it'll still be weekly like Grand Tour etc.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Amazon released season 1 of The Tick in two 6 episode batches 6 months apart, to stretch out the binge viewing, no reason to believe they won't do the same for The Expanse, especially given they keep having midseason cliffhanger episodes already anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
netflix has been doing the 2x 6 episode chunks a year thing for voltron too and tbh i kinda like it