Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
possessed tent snipe
https://gfycat.com/DenseCandidGreatargus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

What's this modded realms thing?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Damegane posted:

By himself, 4 shields. 2 on the weapon, 1 from having 2 stam on the weapon, 1 from 2 stam on a charm.

Ok ya, I need to get me some stamina bonuses on my axes and a stamina charm.

Sounds like I've got some rerolling to do!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feral Integral posted:

What's this modded realms thing?

Right now it’s a button that turns on any steam workshop mods you have, and turns off your ability to get any experience or boxes. So do not click it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

Right now it’s a button that turns on any steam workshop mods you have, and turns off your ability to get any experience or boxes. So do not click it

per robin this is basically what it's going to be forever. little qol mods might make it over to be approved for official use after they figure out what that process looks like (timeline for that is "a few months" so maybe by december) but in general modded realm is going to be a wasteland forever.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Ok ya, I need to get me some stamina bonuses on my axes and a stamina charm.

Sounds like I've got some rerolling to do!

He means necklace not charm. You get 2 stam/10% PvC on your axes and 2 stam/20% hp's on your necklace for a total of 4 shields.

Yeah IB bardin is really lackluster in what he brings to the table, even when you bring the 2h axe you're DPS is minimal and being the last one alive is pointless. The drakecannon is great for quickly killing hordes and with the axe and shield you can push attack armored things to death really quickly but when a boss spawns you're basically more than useless. Compare IB to the FK who has a great ult that has a very quick cooldown, halberd which has amazing DPS potential against bosses with its repeated head strikes, aura that gives a defense buff AND an extra stam shield.

They should reduce the cool down on the IB's taunt and give him some better DPS options at the cost of his durability in his talents.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I was gonna say, IB might be useless on the damage front with bosses but he's great at popping his ult with the boss distraction trait and then turtling up and dodging while the rest of the team deal the pain. Especially since there's so many Shades, FK/Huntsmen, BHs etc out in the wild lately it really comes in handy.

Arghy posted:

He means necklace not charm. You get 2 stam/10% PvC on your axes and 2 stam/20% hp's on your necklace for a total of 4 shields.

Ok, cool thanks for the clarification. Either way I'll be dumping dust and time into rerolls later.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I was gonna say, IB might be useless on the damage front with bosses but he's great at popping his ult with the boss distraction trait and then turtling up and dodging while the rest of the team deal the pain. Especially since there's so many Shades, FK/Huntsmen, BHs etc out in the wild lately it really comes in handy.

Ok, cool thanks for the clarification. Either way I'll be dumping dust and time into rerolls later.

Thing is you can basically do the same with Krubs. Purple Drank on boss lets you just stunlock them since your cycle will always come back up before it gets out of stun.

And it lasts longer then the taunt.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah plus the taunt is still pretty buggy and often things will re-aggro pretty quickly on someone else, which can be dangerous

he's still pretty solid, but I think FK is provides just a bit more utility and probably more effective overall

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I got one of the new Slayer cosmetics out of a commendation chest today. It's a braided mohawk with new face tattoos:

Has anyone found any other new ones?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Arghy posted:

Wouldn't this be 2 shields? Or am I missing counting some?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Slayers dual axes have base 2 shields the max you'll get them is 4 shields unless you have a FK standing next to you.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

AndyElusive posted:

Rookersh posted:

Thing is you can basically do the same with Krubs. Purple Drank on boss lets you just stunlock them since your cycle will always come back up before it gets out of stun.

Footknight is probably superior to Ironbreaker if you compare their utility, but you know what's awesome? When they're BOTH on a team.When I load into QP Legend and there's Sir Kruber&Bardinbreaker greeting my selfish, ranged playing rear end in the keep it's a pretty good sign the run's gonna go well.

In the worst, cruel director moments in the game like Horde+Tank+Specials, I've had runs been saved by an Ironbreaker taunting to rez Sir Kruber who dashes off to rez DPS who both return to clear Bardin, stabilizing what rightly should have been a wipe.

Especially as I'm burning through Legend maps on Pyro, I've learned to appreciate those two together. Bosses are probably a difficulty tier or three easier with either Flaming Skull or the Kruber Tackle backed by purple potions, provided your team can put it together that constantly staggered boss & hit m1 = win. Should a horde spawn
and the team's tunnel visioned on the boss, Ironbreaker's there to give enough them time to finish him off. It's a more consistent boss answer than praying your Shade doesn't wiff backstabs or your Hobo Kruber thinking he can down a tank in 5 shots still so he positions like an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Added simple Footknight/Ironbreaker run saving example. Actually corrected my grammar/spelling in a post for once.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 4, 2018

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Arghy posted:

Slayers dual axes have base 2 shields the max you'll get them is 4 shields unless you have a FK standing next to you.

Ah! I figured I was missing some detail like that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I got this game and I've been having good experiences online, ping-wise, which was my main concern. It's really fun and I enjoy the banter.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take to unlock all classes, give or take? What should I be doing re: dismantling?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

AndyElusive posted:

Given that IB's taunt lasts only 10 seconds (?) on bosses, is it enough to justify an IB over some other class?

I ask sincerely. IB is my favorite and most played class, but as I have moved into Legend I have been playing it much less because he just feels ineffective. Tanking a few seconds feels less valuable than just murdering all the stuff you're tanking instead.

I agree that IB needs to be able to taunt much more often. I'd also like to see some separate taunt mechanic, maybe building aggro on an enemy per-hit, so the IB could force big targets to stay aggro'd on him but only at the risk of letting the shield down to take intermittent swings.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Has anyone noticed anything funky about the daily quests? I have two right now, pick up 3 grims and defeat 3 bosses as a team, no progress on either. I did one run of Skittergate where we encountered a Bile Troll and I grabbed one of the grims, and now I'm 2/3 on the grim quest and 0/3 on the boss quest.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
The grims complete from the whole team but I think you need the killshot on the boss for that one to count.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Reminder you can refresh a daily if you really don't want to do the current one

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Oh so they just work... opposite the way they're written. That's super neat.

Fishstick posted:

Reminder you can refresh a daily if you really don't want to do the current one

I already threw away an easy "play 2 games as Sienna" one by being a moron and pushing the button without thinking about what it would do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well mzbundifund told me the “as character” ones are bugged and don’t work so you actually did the right thing lol

He also surmised the boss kill ones mean act bosses specifically.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't say that IB and his taunt is better than anything FK can dish out when it comes to bosses.

Just that when timed right it can really allow your friends to put that nail in the coffin of whatever big rear end in a top hat is up in your teams grill.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Digirat posted:

Well mzbundifund told me the “as character” ones are bugged and don’t work so you actually did the right thing lol

He also surmised the boss kill ones mean act bosses specifically.

Mine worked just fine though - got the two games as Sienna without issues.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

well, if it's a red weapon, it has to be the weakest one on the list

this time it was the 1h axe for bardin. I'll try it with ranger and see if it's any good

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
At this point I've gotten reds of pretty much every Kruber weapon except the ones I use. :mad:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Taking bets for those ones working only if you're host? :v:

(e: slow by a couple posts; I meant the dailies for playing as a specific character)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

I've gone mad and switched from Grudgeraker to Crossbow on Ranger with Warpick for a change of pace, and then upon reflection will be trying out Handgun next. The initial test run was going surprisingly well until we wiped on Champ Ratsnikk, and my observation was that while the Crossbow's ammo reserves made it fantastic for using willy-nilly, its damage was only good enough for instakilling Stormvermin. Even Blightstormers at a sufficient range could take an additional bodyshot, likewise with Maulers.

Hm, you see this while playing Champion? I haven't tested it extensively in the field - going off some theory work with dummies here - but I recall that 10% damage v Infantry on xbow + 10% damage v Chaos/Skaven on charm puts the crossbow to 40 damage pretty well on the dot, which means body shots for both Chaos wizards and Globadiers. Granted I hear that Chaos/Skaven doesn't happen on charms these days, and I believe you'd need that 10% and can't do it with lesser rolls, but it should be possible. IIRC testing on a dummy with 600 HP and no relevant buffs active showed crossbow body shot damage vs. infantry to be 34. Thus two +10% mods would get you to 40, but, again, I never field-tested this.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 5, 2018

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I've got the challenge fever which means i need to play all maps as every career. Whats a good IB build? I usually ran axe+shield with drakegun but i don't think i can put down my handgun anymore. I was thinking 1h axe with drakefires/handgun http://verminbuilds.com/#75e01e694bd3-5947f806c21a 1h axe with 20% PvC/10% Pvi should be able to reliably deal with hordes and i'd get single target DPS in there. I was also thinking running 2h hammer/drakefires because the 2h hammer seems more reliable for dealing with armored enemies inside hordes. Every time i don't bring an AP weapon i just remember swinging into a horde with a CW inside and realizing oh poo poo i done hosed up. Wish they made the hammer+shield have better AP then it would be viable.

Unless they changed it you couldn't body shot most specials with the handgun on legend which makes drakefires a much better choice and you could use them to DPS a boss.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I don't normally comment on a specific level, but so many people have trouble with Grain Legend that I have to talk about a small strategy I've been using for a while.

Against The Grain. Jump the fence as normal, and proceed along the right side till you reach the hill and stop there. You will be waiting here for the first horde. That's it. Wait for the first horde on the hill and kill it there. Then hoof it inside the house once the first horde is gone. It's that easy. Do not get impatient. Wait for the first horde as long as it takes as sometimes it'll lag a bit. Sometimes a slew of specials spawn in first, but you still want to wait for the horde. It is -very important- that someone with regenerating ranged clear the field while you wait for the horde. Have them pull enemies lurking in it to the hill for you to fight safely. There's plenty of time before the horde spawns. Particularly you -need- the right side clear and clear anything lurking near the hole in the fence. This is a top priority.

If you take me on faith, you can stop reading there. My justifications are based on breaching the house being seen as the primary test for any group doing Against The Grain, but it feels like a silly bar to set given it's contents and spawns are.. rather mundane. On analysis, the issue is compounded by several factors relating to the choke point that is the entrance to the barn. Even hugging the right side of the field, plenty of enemies will lurk nearby it and the hole in the fence. Often obligating you to stop several times to tangle with elites. A nonthreatening prospect with how little support they have, but their entire goal is to simply delay your breaching the barn to use as a safe house. Often a team will get caught in a horde, a pile of special spawns, or both just as they reach the hole in the fence. At which point you are in an area with INCREDIBLY lovely visibility and being attacked on all sides (as things can just jump the fence meaning putting your back to the corner is not viable). Worse if you do manage to get in the barn just in time to get a horde.. then a boss screech mere seconds later. Even if you didn't get hung up on the things outside, the timing is set to screw you up without fail. If a boss does not spawn by chance, the yard is still often filled with a good number of elites or shielded enemies or even a patrol. At which point you are fighting them AND the horde in a very small location. Even if your team makes it out of here alive, a lot of groups end up attritioned to hell by the process. Doomed to die in the short run out to the next area.

SO what if we remove the horde from the equation? At least long enough to either secure the barn before a horde or ensure the boss spawn locks spawn rates with it's presence. I absolutely assure you this strategy removes the possibility of RNG killing your run instantly. Which is frankly all you need as most of Grain is.. not that traumatic of a map as it's generally easy to fight in areas.

So wait on the stupid hill till the first horde. You'll feel like an idiot just waiting around, but it works.

As general level advice for Legend; For the love of God, please use ranged to pull enemies before you breach new areas. Transitioning in to an unexplored location as a horde spawns often trains large numbers of ambient elites along with it, and this can kill even decent groups pretty fast. Better, it means you can spread to fight the horde if needed without triggering nearby ambients.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

per robin this is basically what it's going to be forever. little qol mods might make it over to be approved for official use after they figure out what that process looks like (timeline for that is "a few months" so maybe by december) but in general modded realm is going to be a wasteland forever.

Glad they spent time working on a potentially great feature just to kneecap it

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Azran posted:

I got this game and I've been having good experiences online, ping-wise, which was my main concern. It's really fun and I enjoy the banter.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take to unlock all classes, give or take? What should I be doing re: dismantling?

Unlocking all classes for a specific character doesnt take super long and will depend at least a little on what difficulty you play. Getting to the point where you can reliably run Champipn will speed up subsequent characters so ymmv.

The most important thing for new players is just the hero power contribution of their items, so you can happly scrap any items you have duplicates of, keeping the bigger hero power of any two items. Every chest you open has a chance of rolling higher hero power, within a set range, and that sets your secret "highest hp found" value a little higher, which persists across all characters. When in doubt, just open the chest.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Digirat posted:

I dont know why they dont just fork progression.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
That's fair advice, ATG start is definitely the roughest and often a total clusterfuck. I'd also say War-Camp start is a loving shitshow as well a lot of the time but haven't really figured out a good way for that. Once you make it past the first grim/2nd tome area it usually goes pretty well at least.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

I've got the challenge fever which means i need to play all maps as every career. Whats a good IB build? I usually ran axe+shield with drakegun but i don't think i can put down my handgun anymore. I was thinking 1h axe with drakefires/handgun http://verminbuilds.com/#75e01e694bd3-5947f806c21a 1h axe with 20% PvC/10% Pvi should be able to reliably deal with hordes and i'd get single target DPS in there. I was also thinking running 2h hammer/drakefires because the 2h hammer seems more reliable for dealing with armored enemies inside hordes. Every time i don't bring an AP weapon i just remember swinging into a horde with a CW inside and realizing oh poo poo i done hosed up. Wish they made the hammer+shield have better AP then it would be viable.

Unless they changed it you couldn't body shot most specials with the handgun on legend which makes drakefires a much better choice and you could use them to DPS a boss.
Build is good and pretty standard talent-wise. Tho I would still run Crit/Curse on my trinket but CDR is probably fine.

2H Hammer and Drakefires is a solid choice. I've had Dorfs in Legend do some incredible work with them and they actually do respectible Monster(Boss) damage. It seem like it's a garbage noobtrap, and probably for many it is, but holy hell pubby drakefire dorfs are my good-luck charm. I'd probably do Thermalizer/Power vs Inf/Power vs Skaven with a 10 Inf/10Chaos charm just to hit some skaven breakpoints but I haven't played around with it much.

Also Handgun can 1-body every special except for Packmaster. You just need a total of ~18% Power VS X to do it, which 20% Power Vs Inf will do it just fine for example, . So Handgun/2H Hammer is also a very standard and solid build as well.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 5, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

both lune and i were very unhappy about this to each other over steam; it makes even making decent content difficult because we cannot even create and use appropriate items for that session.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm excited to never use mods because it's set to invalidate a core system that they rammed into the game

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Xaris posted:

I'd also say War-Camp start is a loving shitshow as well a lot of the time but haven't really figured out a good way for that. Once you make it past the first grim/2nd tome area it usually goes pretty well at least.

The thing here is just picking your place to fight wisely. That and following the general advice to pull ambients to your location before proceeding will help you not get hung up in vulnerable travel periods. I know people want to hurry before the horde buzzer goes HEEEEEEEEENK again, but this is the most reliable way to proceed through a map. Pulling is a bit of an older MMO concept, but it works. Set up shop in a logical safe location and snipe things to pull it's group to your location. Once your sight line of the next area is clear, proceed through it. If poo poo spawns, retreat back to whatever the nearest logical place to fight is.

Which doesn't have to be a choke point by the way. There is a variety of good location types to fight in. I wonder if it's worthwhile compiling a list of what to look for?

Also, pulling ambients means you aren't fighting elites in potentially weird to fight in locations with lovely geometry. Open ground is often in YOUR favor rather than the AI.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got red dual daggers for elf.

250hr and my first melee red for any class.

I have a sweet red handgun for bardin though and a red bolt staff

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They sorta have to disable item gains from mods, otherwise people would just run the fastest Chest Opening Simulator mod they can get their hands on and forego actually playing the game so they can get items faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
To that I point to the same reason it's pointless to institute consumer abusive DRM in to a product to stop piracy. These people wouldn't have bothered playing the game legitimately anyway and likely stopped weeks/months ago. Only legitimate players are being harmed by the stance. On a similar note, I pointed out in a game today the game should have used client side hit and block detection even if the enemy wouldn't be allowed to properly bounce off the block if the delay is high enough. Being able to block on reaction is too important. As is dodging while attacking so you don't get chain stunned out of every attack. A random Saltpyre said they shouldn't because people would hack the game to abuse client side hit detection.

Which ignores that people already cheat using the slew of things that ARE handled client side anyway. So now the rest of us are punished as a precaution that doesn't work. Nice.