Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Had a even more horrifying realization as I was looking up prices that I have no idea if there's a certain type of cable I need to get as I'm bombarded by options. Will any ethernet cable work or am I looking for something specific? :blush: I usually coast by on what's in the box (for my ps4 for example) so never had to shop for cables so I feel real goddamn stupid.

Any CAT5 or CAT5e network cable will work fine. It can be worth getting one with little plastic boots at the ends to protect the flimsy plastic clip but obviously that won't impact the data transmission of the cable (unless the aforementioned flimsy plastic clip snaps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

In five years, they're going to split things into a Switch Mini that's the budget handheld system, and a Super Switch that's the successor that gets the big releases. That's how we go back to two pillars. I don't even know how serious I'm being.

If there is a Super Switch it'll be like the PS4 Pro to the PS4. There's no way they'll release games that can be played on one version but not the other. It would be so... unSwitchlike

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey I'm gonna publicly humiliate myself.

I've been using a wireless connection for my online activities and decided you know what, I want a good connection always so went and ordered a HORI adapter off amazon. Just realized I need to actually get the cables, y'know. Kinda important.

Had a even more horrifying realization as I was looking up prices that I have no idea if there's a certain type of cable I need to get as I'm bombarded by options. Will any ethernet cable work or am I looking for something specific? :blush: I usually coast by on what's in the box (for my ps4 for example) so never had to shop for cables so I feel real goddamn stupid.

You'd have to really try to find a bad Ethernet cable.
Standard cat5. Nothing fancy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They already used the Super prefix.

It would need to be Ultra or Hyper

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

THE loving MOON posted:

If there is a Super Switch it'll be like the PS4 Pro to the PS4. There's no way they'll release games that can be played on one version but not the other. It would be so... unSwitchlike

They literally already did that with the 3DS and the new 3DS.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE loving MOON posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles was a NN3DS exclusive. I think that's the only first party exclusive, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn’t Hyrule Warriors Legends also only for the new 3DS

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If anything, that's evidence Against doing Super New Switch-only games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

i think it technically ran on old 3ds but the crowds of enemies had to be a lot smaller

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Calaveron posted:

No, but if you played it on a regular 3ds it was godawful

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Calaveron posted:

HyWar wasn't and should have been. It had major performance issues on the not-New3DS. Fire Emblem Warriors was N3DS exclusive.

Neither of those are first-party.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The super switch features 4k video modes even in handheld*

*Battery life may last approximately eleven seconds.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They already used the Super prefix.

It would need to be Ultra or Hyper

Coming in 2022: The Super Switch 4K*.

*1080p in handheld.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calaveron posted:

Technically ran on the old 3DS and wasn’t a first party title.

In Switch news, I bought both Yoku’s Island Express and West of Loathing and can confirm the absolute ownage of both titles.

I’m really, really shocked that Nintendo didn’t make a game like Yoku’s Island Express before Villa Gorilla did—I could totally see an actual Metroid title where Samus has to spend most of the game in Morph Ball form pinballing around tunnels, and you could make the case for the pinball/Metroidvania mashup working for Pokémon or Kirby or even Yoshi.

The best games are the ones that you didn’t even realize you wanted until you played them and I think that’s the case for both West of Loathing and Yoku’s Island Express. Everyone with a Switch should buy both of them.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
woohoo, cross tag shipped and I'm a happy camper :woop:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Run, don’t want, and get Yokus Island Express for pennies on the dollar. Yokus island express, for all of your gaming needs. Yokus island express.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

The best games are the ones that you didn’t even realize you wanted until you played them and I think that’s the case for both West of Loathing and Yoku’s Island Express. Everyone with a Switch should buy both of them.

:agreed: and I did but I've only had time to play yoku's so far. It's so so good!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I bet if it's an upgraded version it would just be a slightly bigger screen, with the ability to run all games at the docked resolution with no performance hit.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020801&p_id=3384&seq=1&format=2 find the right length you need, done.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I've been waiting for Yoku's Island Express for a while now, unfortunately I can't buy it yet. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any new games until I clear out a bit of my backlog, being an adult kinda sucks.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

E2M2 posted:

I bet if it's an upgraded version it would just be a slightly bigger screen, with the ability to run all games at the docked resolution with no performance hit.

So, basically, it costs more because it has a bigger battery?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Run, don’t want, and get Yokus Island Express for pennies on the dollar. Yokus island express, for all of your gaming needs. Yokus island express.

Okay... how, exactly? It's retail price. I mean it looks worth retail price but don't post stuff like that if, you know, there's no actual "sale" of any kind going on.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

THE loving MOON posted:

Pretty sure minecraft is new 3ds/2ds exclusive.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

E2M2 posted:

They can't make the screen bigger because then the Joycons wouldn't fit

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lelandjs posted:

Hey, that strategy worked great for the Wii U!

That said, my daughter's first gaming console will probably be a 2DS, even though I won't be getting it for her for a 3-4 years. There's such a gigantic library of games, a lot of which are kid-friendly (heck it's even got Minecraft!) and they're relatively inexpensive and durable. I don't know for sure if Nintendo will still be selling them by that point, but I have a feeling they will be.

I don't even have a daughter yet and I've decided my daughter (or son) will have a 2DS as their first gaming system when they are like 3 or 4. It helps that I picked one up at TRU on sale for my collection the other day and it will still be essentially brand new in, I dunno, five, six years when I presumably have a three year old? Depending upon how persuasive my boyfriend is.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Guy Goodbody posted:

You just make the screen longer.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A no-bezel Switch came across to me as a realistic future model, and I would be all over that poo poo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spellman posted:

A no-bezel Switch came across to me as a realistic future model, and I would be all over that poo poo

The switch is equipped with a ding dong fisher price toy plastic screen, let's go one step at a time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pikmin also doesnt require a New 3DS but boy howdy are there some stages where youll regret that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

The switch is equipped with a ding dong fisher price toy plastic screen, let's go one step at a time

Oof, you're not wrong

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
In Mario tennis what's the point of taunting while the other player serves? Also what is Luigi's reaction to losing a match? In the n64 version he was DEVESTATED.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can taunt any time the ball isn't headed your way, not just serves. If you complete the taunt animation your next shot will get a power boost

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

In Mario tennis what's the point of taunting while the other player serves?

your next hit will be charged without having to charge it beforehand

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ah, I see, thanks!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calaveron posted:

Counterpoint: I was watching my daughter while she used my Switch to make the Labo RC Car move and she subtly signaled that she was done playing. And by “subtly” I mean “straight up dropped the Switch on the floor without any warning that she was about to do so”.

It landed facedown and now has a small scratch on the screen BUT if it had been glass it probably would have shattered.

and yes if I had bothered to put on a screen protector the scratch would be on the protector instead of the screen, I know I’m an idiot, etc etc

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

lelandjs posted:

Counterpoint: I was watching my daughter while she used my Switch to make the Labo RC Car move and she subtly signaled that she was done playing. And by “subtly” I mean “straight up dropped the Switch on the floor without any warning that she was about to do so”.

It landed facedown and now has a small scratch on the screen BUT if it had been glass it probably would have shattered.

and yes if I had bothered to put on a screen protector the scratch would be on the protector instead of the screen, I know I’m an idiot, etc etc

If it were gorilla glass, it probably would have been fine.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can taunt any time the ball isn't headed your way, not just serves. If you complete the taunt animation your next shot will get a power boost

Holy gently caress no wonder why I could never match other people's meter.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe get rid of the bezels?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

E2M2 posted:

Maybe get rid of the bezels?

well, yeah, Jeff Bezels should be guillotined but I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Guy Goodbody posted:

well, yeah, Jeff Bezels should be guillotined but I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said?

Whoa whoa, Jeff Bezels just saved An Expansion. We can move him down the list a bit.

• Locked thread