Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Oh I'm not against it, it's frequently effective and Brooks was getting no metres with his kicks anyway.
I know, if it was a faster player with the ball in that instance I'm pretty sure he would have gone straight through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fox reporting Slater is out of Origin 1 posted:

QUEENSLAND have been struck a devastating blow with Billy Slater reportedly ruled out of Wednesday night’s Origin series opener after failing to overcome a hamstring injury.

Slater was picked by the Maroons with an injury cloud over his head and despite positive updates out of camp it appears he has lost his race against the clock.

The Daily Telegraph broke the story this afternoon, just hours after Kevin Walters told the media that Slater would be playing.

Maroons officials are yet to confirm that Slater is out of the game but reports suggest that Darius Boyd, Michael Morgan and Kalyn Ponga are the three players in contention to take the No.1 jersey.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lies, every year

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'll believe it when the team list comes out

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

It's pretty funny when it actually works, though

https://youtu.be/CFEXVw7bNsY

I knew what that would be before I clicked.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

QRL posted:

Billy Slater has today confirmed he will not play in the opening match of the Holden State of Origin series at the Melbourne Cricket Ground due to a hamstring injury.

"I didn't pull up as well as I would have liked after our training run on Sunday, and because I'm not 100 per cent, it's in my best interests as well as the team's to withdraw from Wednesday's game," Slater said.

Maroons coach Kevin Walters will consult with selectors and senior players before deciding on the final make-up of the side closer to kick off.

He confirmed Anthony Milford and Kalyn Ponga will join the Maroons squad in Melbourne tonight.

"We knew we had some concerns with Billy, but he's a champion player and we needed to give him every chance to play," Walters said.

"We've had plans in place to cover Billy if he didn't come up right, and we've actioned that today with Anthony and Kalyn coming in."

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Hopefully they play Ponga, even if just off the bench

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he’ll be exciting to watch at the 70th minute when all the players are tired as gently caress

i’ll be cheering for him despite being a NSW supporter

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'll be cheering for him to get a couple of awesome consolation tries

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

I'll be cheering for him to get a couple of awesome consolation tries
yeah that sounds rad

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Now reports that Gagai busted his fingers with a compound fracture and will be out, plus others that Hunt is in doubt too. At this rate they'll end up just selecting 17 fans to play.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

Now reports that Gagai busted his fingers with a compound fracture and will be out, plus others that Hunt is in doubt too. At this rate they'll end up just selecting 17 fans to play.
I'm excited to watch the woman who pissed her seat to play at centre

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The stars are aligning for an incredible Queensland underdog victory and it's making GBS threads me to tears.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

iajanus posted:

The stars are aligning for an incredible Queensland underdog victory and it's making GBS threads me to tears.

Origin is the sort of game, where having a busted arse team of no hopers is a key to success.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

According to this Gagai and Hunt are probably still in
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/origin/late-origin-news-hunt-in-doubt-ponga-out/news-story/7612b7760031ac8cfb82b9a193a9b045

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
On the other hand, it's weird seeing Boyd turn his back on Queensland to go on holiday in NZ. And this is on the back of Smith quitting at the last moment. On paper NSW should win this easily, but weird poo poo does happen in this series.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Queensland has a habit of trying to make itself the underdog because when it does the players buy into the hype and play out of their skin. It's why in almost every series for the last twenty years they've painted themselves as the massive underdog, even when we all knew how good they are.

A massive inferiority complex is key to the Queensland mindset, and having lived here for four years now it permeates a lot of the general lifestyle.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Maybe after a few training sessions the players have realised how much of a lost cause it is without the core 4 so are abandoning ship early.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We can but hope

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm keen to see Queensland win somehow for some reason.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I'm keen to see Queensland win somehow for some reason.

worst state

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Checking in for another year of drunkenly shouting about nsw ref conspiracies

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
halfway through a six pack of lord nelson

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Two beers into a box of Coors and have fed the bub and he's asleep in his bassinet so I am ready to start the process of causing myself to cry in around two hours time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also I apologise in advance to any Queenslanders I offend through angry and vitriolic abuse tonight

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

iajanus posted:

Also I apologise in advance to any Queenslanders I offend through angry and vitriolic abuse tonight

Ur a good sort tho for a fake scouse

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Tried to dodge the prematch torture tonight, switched over to check it's not kickoff yet and it's a lovely Gould promo this time with a Marvel movies soundtrack

edit: getting my blaze on hoping Queensland won for comedy value.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
First sign of nsw not being hard enough for origin. Couldn't even run through a paper banner.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Can the Blues please fit some more sponsors on the jerseys?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
rugby looooiiiiiiiiig get in there

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Byolante posted:

Ur a good sort tho for a fake scouse

Fuk u

ta very much but still fuk u :)

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Lol first instance of the refs trying to gently caress qld

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Origin sure is different without all the grubs on both sides. This is more like a typical NRL game so far.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Byolante posted:

Lol first instance of the refs trying to gently caress qld

By ignoring Morgan tackling the dummy half when almost next to him?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Is it me, or has there been more tackle busts than all of last years series?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
spilled the lollies

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
yiew

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This is going to be a massacre isn't it?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Attaboy tobasco

Sick dummy half run by cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yaaaaaas Cook