Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Murk

I am, even now, putting her through a harrowing experience. Digging up the memories she locked away, the past she wanted to pretend never happened, and laying it all out before her once more. But I must get her back to who she once was... even if means forcing her to endure this. She must remember everything. Because I need to know: why did she become the Maid, and what secrets does this house hold?

You’re...
Michel...

The person you were searching for... was the man who once hurt you deeply: me.
...Why?

What was her “why” referring to? Why I hurt her? Or why I’m here? Or perhaps... why I didn’t show up until now? Not having an answer for her, I clench her cold hands in mine. I wonder... were her hands this cold that night too?

There’s still more we need to see, though, and it’s still too soon for me to apologize. When she’s gotten everything back, only then can I. Once she’s reclaimed herself, that is when I must tell her...

Now, let us return to our past.

Our story has only just begun. No matter what we thought or what we desired... no matter what we lost or how much pain we suffered... we must not shut this door.

Perfect darkness embraces us once more. I can see nothing — not even the woman beside me — but I shall not let go of her hand. I do not want her to slip away from me. I do not want to lose her...

...ay wi...
Stay with me! Are you all right?

BGM: Girlhood in Shambles

Oh, thank goodness! You’re awake! How’s your head? Can you see me?
...Wha?
You had me scared silly there. I thought I might’ve lost you for good. I’m really glad you’re alive.
(Where... am I...?)
(And who... is this man...?)
(What... was I doing...?)
You feeling up for any food? I can whip up some porridge for you right quick.
(Ahh... I was in the forest... It was raining...)
(Before that... I was at the mansion...)
(I feel sick... like there’s still something in my stomach...)
...N-No, thank you...
I don’t... want anything...
You really should have something. You need to keep up your energy. Unless you want to conk out again in an hour.
(Sounds good to me...)
(I’d rather never wake up at all...)
You’re not in the highest of spirits either, it seems. All the more reason to get something warm in you. Please, have something.
I’ve got some milk on the fire. I bet you can handle a cup of that.
You start losing all hope once the cold gets that deep in you, reaches down to your core. Take me at my word, please. Just one sip.
You’ll feel like a whole new gal.

Succumbing to the sweet smell, I lifted the cup to my lips for just one sip — and the warmth that spread through me brought tears to my eyes. Perhaps there really was kindness in the world... A ripple spread across the surface of the milk. I heard a gentle sigh come from the man beside me, after which he said with a smile, “You should take it easy for the day.”

I had lost the willpower to think about anything. I didn’t care what had happened to me or why I was here, who he was, or even where this was. I spent the whole day in bed, just watching the sun slowly slide across the wooden floor. It felt like I was somewhere far, far away. At times, I felt like a lost child, and at times like a sickly old woman on her deathbed. Watching the sun travel gave me a renewed awareness of the passage of time, and the fact that each moment that went by was another moment I was alive.

I realized, then, that it had been a while since I had gotten more than a brief glimpse at any sunlight. It almost surprised me how colorful the world seemed beneath the sun’s light — something I didn’t get much of in the dark mansion. Only after losing something do you realize how much you need it. Warm milk, the light shining through the window, and a bed that smelled like springtime. With those three things, my heart slowly began to defrost, and I started to regain the willpower to stand on my own two feet.

You sure you’re in any shape to be on your feet?
Yes, I’m fine... I’m not hurt.
You looked pretty beat up to me.
But you look a lot better now. And you’re talking a lot more clearly than before.
You’ve been very generous, despite having never met me before, and for that you have my deepest gratitude. Without your help, I would no longer be in this world.
I don’t deserve your thanks. You are alive now because God’s guidance made it so.
God...
I came across you early this morning, as I was heading into the forest to hunt. Imagine my surprise seeing a young lady like you on the ground in my path.
What were you doing in the forest?
Ahh, you don’t have to tell me if you’d rather not. Everyone’s got their own share of personal problems.
You’re not going... to demand I talk?
I have no reason to force you to do anything.
You looked like you’d been to hell and back.
Wha...
I could tell just looking at you.
Now then, do you have somewhere you can go?
Somewhere... to go...
(Of course I don’t... I can’t go back to the capital, or the mansion...)

Here...?
Sure. It’s a small village. We’re self-sufficient, and we all help each other out.
No tax-hungry lords know we built the place up either, so we keep everything we make.
We’re pretty remote as a result, and the harvest isn’t fantastic... but I’m sure you’ll find it comfortable here. The rest of the villagers will be glad to have you.
What do you say?
I...
(Sorry, Mom...)
(what I’m about to do might make the rest of the family’s lives more difficult...)
(but...)
(I don’t want to have to feel any more pain...)
If I really wouldn’t be inconveniencing you...
If it’s really okay... then yes. I would like to stay here.
That’s great to hear. I was loath to send you back out there in your current condition.
...I haven’t introduced myself yet, have I? The name’s Amédée. Just one lowly villager of many.
I... I’m Giselle.
Giselle. That’s a beautiful name. If I’m not mistaken, there should be a vacant house.
Clean it up, and you can call it home.
I-I couldn’t possibly ask for that... I doubt others would like it if I just took a house for myself...
That shouldn’t be an issue. I’m the village’s representative, more or less.
Representative... Like the chief?
Only in name, though. As I mentioned, we’re not on any lords’ maps, so I don’t have much “representing” to do.
The only reason I ended up in charge is because I’m a bit more educated than anyone else.
It was a long time ago, but I understudied with a priest. Because of that, I’m familiar with the Bible’s teachings.
So rather than a chief, the people of the village look at me more like a priest. Wouldn’t be much fun if the Church found out about that, haha.
They’re liable to think I’m acting unordained.
Then... you believe in God?
That’s quite the question. Of course God exists. He’s always watching over us. That’s why you survived — because He protected you.
I understand that your faith can waver when you’re going through times of tribulation, but those are the times when it’s most important you keep sight of who you are.
Right...
Now, you get some rest. Tomorrow, I’ll show you around the village.

Don’t mention it, Giselle. This is your village now too, so you don’t need to act like a stranger anymore.
...Okay.
(So he’s Amédée.)
(He seems like a nice man...)
(Maybe here...)
(I can live in peace.)
(It’ll be all right, I’m sure...)
(Yeah.)

I wasn’t silly enough to believe my life would be perfect, but I had found a tiny fragment of my lost hope. While I had once been ready to give up on absolutely everything, I was starting to feel like I might be able to smile again, eventually. Like I might be able to get back on my feet. And in order to do that, I had to cast aside my past once more. Forget everything that had happened at the Bollinger estate, and everything that had happened at that mansion. Forget about Michel.

There was one niggling curiosity, though, that I couldn’t shake — something he had said before I left: My very existence threatens to tear down that house. The cursed youngest son of the Bollinger family. Michel, who made a pact with the Devil — who is supposed to be dead, but is very much alive. What had he meant by that? Why would people think he was dead?

(No, I don’t care about Michel one bit.)
(Forget it. Forget everything.)

BGM: Desolation (Piano)

The house was, as it had always been, wrapped in a thick silence. Giselle’s shadow, which had been lurking in the halls for about a month, was nowhere to be found. She hadn’t come back since running off that day. My secret was still safe. Her efforts had, in the end, all been for naught.

Back to the way things were...

But despite my mind telling me that it was for the best, I felt a kind of guilt seething in the back of my chest, and any attempts to figure out why only made me feel worse...

But the look on her face then...

I didn’t know anything about you...
I — I wasn’t... sniffing around... or trying... to bring you harm in any way...!

Was that really her just putting on an act because I revealed her scheming?

She was screaming, though. And she looked genuinely terrified when she knocked my hand away...
I’m not “falling” for anything.
I just...
(I feel like I know that frenzied panic...)
(Something doesn’t add up...)
Be quiet...
Silence, please...

My head was pounding beyond belief. I couldn’t stand anything. This world. The creature I was. The witch’s whispering... The archangel looking down upon me seemed to be cackling from somewhere far out of reach. So, for whatever it was worth, to escape from his gaze, I once again drew the drapes over the stained-glass window.

BGM: Girlhood in Shambles

Hey, hey, where’re you from? You gonna be here long?
Are you? Are you? Are you?

You’ll be getting a lot of attention for a little, but please don’t let it get to you.
Ahh... n-no, that’s just fine! I’ll do my best to get along with everyone!
Haha. You’ve got a spark in you that wasn’t there yesterday. Anything in particular that cheered you up?
In particular...? Once I decided I was going to stay here, I just sort of started feeling better about things,
and I figured I couldn’t stay gloomy forever.
I see. Glad to hear it.
Hehehe. And it’s all thanks to you, Amédée.
Keep thanking me like that and my cheeks might get stuck red. ...In any event. I said I’d show you around yesterday, so how about we do that?
Lead the way!
That said, we’re a modest little village of about a hundred. Everyone knows everyone.
For that size... it looks pretty big to me.

Amédée taking the lead, we walked through the village, passing by crop fields and milk cows, presumably shared among the villagers. Houses were scattered across an area that seemed far too large for only a hundred people. Actually, getting a better look at them, the buildings were dilapidated — looking more like ruins than residences.

Once upon a time, this was a city, rather than a village.
When your ancestors lived here?
Oh no. We were drifters fortunate enough to come across some decent-looking land, so we stuck around.
How do you know what it was like before, then?
Mmm... there were a few stone tablets left behind, and based on what we were able to extract from their texts,
this area used to be a large city with a booming economy rivaling that of the capital.
There weren’t hundreds, but thousands of people bustling about. Merchants from afar came in droves.
It was much like how the capital is now. Actually, this area was more open to foreigners.
People of all different races, speaking as many different languages. It was evidently quite the sight — and sound.
I had no idea there was a city here.
That’s what happens when a place is wiped from history. I couldn’t tell you how reliable the tablets are,
but if you take them at their word, this city lost everything in just a single week.
What?
People, crops, livestock, all dead. Maybe it was a natural disaster, a famine, a plague — I can’t say for sure.
This is what the tablets said, though:

Cursed... by the witch...
Look over there. You see that river? There used to be a magnificent bridge crossing it, but there’s hardly anything left of it.
If you continue along the path beyond the fallen bridge, there’s a forest — that’s where I found you.
The deeper parts of the forest are so dense you can’t see anything but tree trunks and leaves. It’s an eerie place, wrapped in a cloud of darkness.
If you make it through that, there’s a mansion — which is said to be cursed.
The witch who supposedly destroyed this city lives in the house deep in the forest.
She’s been there for years and years and years, and she casts her curse on anyone who goes near it.
The city was so large that the mansion was actually in its borders. My guess is the bridge was built to mark the road leading to it.
Now, as you can see, the bridge is gone and the houses still standing are practically in ruins,
but the mansion alone looks just as it did back then.
The witch living in the mansion goes by the name Morgana. According to the records, someone by that same name was executed in this area for witchcraft,
and even in death, she continues to bear her grudge against mankind.
Who knows how much of it is true, though. Truth or fiction, the story has taken root in this region.
The city’s history may be lost, but the legend of the witch continues to be told. People have a tendency to keep stories alive that scare them.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you.
No... I’m fine.
You’re best staying away from the mansion in the forest, at any rate. There’s no saying what might happen if curiosity gets the better of you.
Better safe than sorry, if you ask me. Aside from the mansion, this is as peaceful a village as you’ll find.
I don’t know where you came from, but I’m glad you didn’t end up wandering up there.

(I was there, after all. With Michel, for a full month...)
(But I don’t remember any cursed witch.)
(Just a man with a bone-chilling glare.)
(Maybe the rumors about a witch living there were spread by him — )
(or perhaps even his family.)
(I could see them doing that.)
(But none of that matters to me anymore.)
(I’m never going anywhere near that house again.)

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

ProfessorProf posted:

You’re not in the highest of spirits either, it seems. All the more reason to get something warm in you. Please, have something.
You start losing all hope once the cold gets that deep in you, reaches down to your core. Take me at my word, please. Just one sip.

I had no idea there was a city here.

I think you mixed up a few of the portraits.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure these lines are swapped and Giselle isn't supposed to be telling a strange man he'll feel like a whole new gal.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Petracore, I've been thinking a bit about your read into the situation and it makes sense in this narrative and also adds quite a twisted feature onto the meta-narrative. I think it's really clever and you're probably right.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

but I found peace in that nothingness.

I couldn’t have been more blessed that such a kind man had found me and welcomed me into his village. The village ran entirely on its own crops and livestock. They had no currency, merely bartered among themselves. Coming from a merchant’s family, everything felt so new. I had never plowed a large plot of land, milked a cow, or used a loom before. At first I wasn’t sure what to think, being such a departure from my lifestyle in the capital, but over time, I grew more comfortable with my new life, and the people of the village started thinking of me as one of them.

We’re playing hide-and-seek today!
Can’t, sorry! I’m spinning yarn.
You can do that later!
Come on, play with us!
Ah, s-stop that! Don’t pull on my skirt! ...Oh, all right, you win. When I’m done with this, I’ll join you.
And no ditching! We’ll be down at the square, okay?
Got it. See you there!

Ah... Amédée. Y-You think so?
They’ve been incredibly lively since you arrived. Children are more... sensitive than adults.
Sensitive?
They’re very perceptive of how others are feeling. If you begrudgingly play along, they’ll pick up on that quickly.
You like children, and that’s a wonderful thing. There’s not a good woman in the world who dislikes children.
Ahaha... Why, thank you...
(I don’t think it’s so much that I like them... as I’m kind of like a big kid myself.)
(I genuinely enjoy hide-and-seek. But that’s not going to earn me any points.)
I like kids too. Watching them, it gives me faith that this world has a bright future.
(A bright future... I’d never looked at them that way.)
They seem to like you quite a bit too, Amédée.
Haha, thanks. Though I’d rather give my affection to my own kids.
Oh? You have children?
Oh, heavens no! I thought that was obvious enough. I’m talking about the future.
I see... But knowing you, Amédée, I’m sure you’ll find someone right for you and have kids of your own in no time!
It’s not that easy, sadly. Even in such a small village, there are no ladies who would take interest in me.
You don’t give yourself enough credit. I’m fully confident you’ll find someone soon enough.
Do you really think so?
Absolutely!

Wha — uh, pardon?
I won’t pressure you into it, of course. But I think it would be marvelous to have you in my life in a bigger way.
B-But I’m... It’s a little soon... for me to think about settling down like that...
Haha. It is pretty sudden, I admit. Take all the time you need to consider it.
A-All right... Um, I have to go play with the kids now!
Have fun.

(Amédée is a nice fellow...)
(and I’m sure living here would be wonderful...)
(but I can’t help feeling something isn’t right here...)
(Why am I thinking about him, now, of all times?)
(That man has no redeemable qualities... Not one.)

As it turned out, Amédée was serious about his proposition, and he brought it up every time we ran into each other. Unable to give him an answer, I found myself constantly apologizing to him. Soon, winter started giving way to spring. On a day when the air still had a brisk winter bite and budding seedlings battled to break through the earth, the seams holding the village together began to come loose.

That day, the village men were gathered in the square talking. They all had stern looks on their faces. It was clear that something had happened. I obviously couldn’t stick my head in, so I waited until they were done and caught Amédée. While it was rather awkward, I was still more comfortable asking him for information than anyone else.

Actually...

With a dejected look on his face, he started explaining.

BGM: Crowd by the Riverside

Wha...
And he’s said he’s going to place this land under his rule — meaning he’ll start collecting taxes.
In addition, he’s also demanding we pay five years’ worth of back-taxes for our unauthorized use of the land.
What? That’s ridiculous!
Yes, it most certainly is. We obviously don’t have the means to pay five years’ taxes... There’s no reason for him to take over this village at all.
We’re completely isolated from the surrounding area, after all.
But if we resist... he could send soldiers. It doesn’t matter how absurd his claim to the village is,
we have no choice but to comply...
That’s terrible... What are we going to do, then?
We’re going to do as the lord demands. The five years’ taxes will have to be paid in installments.
Some of the men suggested we abandon the land and find somewhere else, but it would take time to cultivate the land and plant new crops.
It’s no trivial task.
We’ll just have to make do with these changes. We’ll use more of the land to grow and try to be more efficient...
Will you... help in the fields?
O-Of course! This village is my home now too!
Thank you, Giselle. It will be difficult, but if we all pitch in, I’m sure we can get through this.

I thought the same thing. If we all worked together, we could make it through this rough patch. But the collection of taxes brought more than just a burden for everyone to share — it brought emotional strain and conflict to the village too.

I have a sickly child! You expect him to work any harder than he is?!
I know you’re hiding grain in your cellar!
You have more than us! Let us keep a little grain!
You have more!
No, you have more!
You both have more than us!

When their comfortable lives fell under attack, the villagers’ top priority became their own property. The “cooperation” was only temporary, and before long, everyone became a threat. The negative energy only built on itself, its growth accelerating like a boulder rolling down a hill, and it wasn’t long before their sights fell on me — the outsider.

O-Ow! S-Stop that! Why are you doing this?!
I’ll stop once you’ve told us everything!
T-Told you every what? ...Nnh!

One morning, a man dragged me from my house and took me to the square. There, the entire rest of the village was gathered, all eyes on me.

...What? Wh-What’s this about...?
Oh, don’t play stupid! We all know it was you!
What... was me...?
The thief.
A...mé...dée...?

From the crowd appeared someone I knew quite well — the ever-affable village representative. The man who had saved my life. But in his eyes now —

I thought you were better than that.

— was contempt, anger, scorn. So many different shades of negativity. I recognized what I saw in his glare immediately, as someone who had been subjected to those looks before. But why? For what reason was he looking at me like that? I couldn’t make sense of what was happening, so I just stood there stupefied.

Since the lord now demands we pay him taxes, even the smallest item lost can have a dramatic impact on a family’s living conditions.
What you’ve done is no joke.
W — Wait just a second! I haven’t stolen anything! Why do you think I —
You have been seen in the act.
What...?
So long as there is testimony against you, your guilt is assured.
Wh — Who says they saw me?! I swear, I didn’t do anything! They’re obviously lying!
You’re the one who’s lying! You’ve been playing us for fools this whole time!
Everything was fine until you showed up!
We managed not to get found until you showed up!
No... That’s not my fault!
Giselle. Apologize to the village and return what you’ve taken.
Amédée! Don’t you believe me?!
There were multiple witnesses. Several different people saw you stealing.
I’ve known these people long enough to be family, and I trust them like family too. They’re not liars.
B-But... No... They’re framing me! I didn’t steal anything, I swear!
Framing you? Now you want to put this on us, woman?!
Unbelievable! Have you forgotten we welcomed you into our village?!
Nnh... A-Amédée, please believe me! You of all people should believe me!

Wha —
Because you had something to hide, correct?
No, I...
What other reason could you have to avoid me?
Wh-Why...
(How can he say these things? Why won’t he believe me?)
Now, return the things you’ve stolen.
I can’t! I never stole anything! How am I supposed to return something I don’t have?!
I see, so you’ve already moved the stolen goods. She said she doesn’t have them anymore, folks. How should we deal with this?
Rough ’er up ’til she talks!
Yeah! She’s not getting off that easy!
Give us back our property!
— ?!
(Wh-Why... is this happening to me?!)
(The harsh new rulership has driven these people mad!)
(I need to get away from this village, quick!)
Restrain her!
— !
N-No! Get your hands off me!
Have you forgotten everything we’ve done for you? All that matters is that you don’t have to suffer, is that it?
I didn’t — I didn’t do anything!
Take her to my house. We’ll make her tell us everything.
No... stop... You’ve all gone mad! Please, come to your senses!

BGM: Gutter near my Kitchen

He sat coolly in a chair, and they shoved me to my knees before him.

...!
I’ll ask you this one more time, Giselle: where did you put the things you stole?
And I’ll... keep giving you the same answer... I didn’t take anything from anyone!
Please believe me!
Do you swear, with God as your witness?
I do, I swear, with all my heart!
You don’t actually believe her, do you, Amédée?!
She not only sold us out to a lord,
she’s now threatening to make our lives downright impossible!
Again, that’s just a coincidence!
Listen to me, Amédée!
Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the woman hath committed three sins: she has lied, she has stolen, and she has betrayed her fellow man.
Why... are you doing this, Amédée...? You were... such a good man!
...I am deeply disappointed in you, Giselle. As much as I don’t want to do this, I have to get the truth from you.
Amédée...
(Ahh... of course, why didn’t I see it?)
(I’m still just an outsider to them...)
(Why would he believe a stranger’s word over the word of the village — his family?)
The water.
Wha —

— !

In it wasn’t clean water from the well, though, but grimy, murky wastewater. I reflexively turned my head from the stench, but a man behind me grabbed me by the hair, and before I had a chance to realize what was happening,
the world
around me
went brown.

Agh —
Grbh, bbrlgh, llrgbh!

Reflexively gasping for air, a stream of filthy water poured into my mouth.

Nrgh, glbrh, gggh! Bbbbgh!
Pull her out. We get nothing if she dies.
Ngh, hah, ahh...! Cough! Rgh, nnnh!
Put her back in. And keep at it until she decides she’s ready to talk.
...Ngh... no —
Ggrgh, bblrgh, ngh... ah, nnngh...!
How unsightly...
Nrgh... ah, aaah... Aaahh!
And to think I ever considered marrying this woman.
Sto — bblgh, gbrlgh!
We can stop whenever you want, Giselle. You just have to tell us the truth.
Pl... Plea...se...
He — lrb — ph — !
Stoooooooop!

I was given no time to rest, my head shoved into the bucket, then pulled out just long enough for me to steal a breath before going back in — over and over again. Not a person in that room objected to the abuse I was receiving. I had prayed for a good harvest with these people. They had taught me how to use a loom, something I had never touched before. We had laughed together, lived together. They were normal people... Perfectly ordinary, kind, helpful, friendly people. Not at all cruel or inhumane. But now, they burned with a frenzy that overshadowed all my memories of them, and every gargle, gasp, and grunt they got from me fueled that fire. Dozens of eyes laced with madness stared down upon me, rejoicing at my suffering.

My consciousness was slipping away from me. I thought I could hear laughing and chattering, but it all passed through my ears as mere noise, nothing I could make sense of.

...ght...
...ay with...
...Ah...
Stay with me.
A...mé...dée...
Oh, thank goodness. You’re awake.
(Wait... what was I just doing...?)
(Ahh, right... I was in the forest... on the verge of death... then Amédée found me and...)
We almost lost valuable manpower there.
— !

(No! He didn’t save me!)
If you agree to work for us, we’ll put this whole nasty mess behind us.
You may be worthless in the fields and terrible with a loom, but there’s plenty you can help with.
Wh... What... are you... going to make me do...?
You like to get your hands dirty. And considering I found you half-dead in the forest, I doubt the rest of you is any cleaner.
A...mé...dée...!
It seems we’ve come to an agreement. I’ll keep watch over her starting today.
To make sure she stays in line and doesn’t steal anything else!
(Dirty... Stays in line...)
(The way... they’re looking at me...)

They didn’t have to spell it out...

N-No... Anything but that...!
Please, have mercy!
If you’re begging for mercy, that means you know you’ve done something wrong.
...!
Let’s see... There is one way, Giselle.
What...?
Give back what you stole, naturally. But if you’re going to insist that’s not possible,
then bring us something of equal value.
I... I...
And if you can’t do that, then your life belongs to the village.

The men were cackling. They knew I couldn’t do it, and they were enjoying watching me squirm.

Take your pick, Giselle.
Something of equal value...
If I can get that... then you’ll set me free...?

In that moment, a little bit of darkness bubbled up in my heart. Something maleficent whispered in my ear:

I think I know... where you can get... something worth some money...
The mansion in the forest... has some fairly valuable furniture in it...
(Ahh... O God...)
(when did I become...)
You can... s — steal some of that to sell for good money...
(such a despicable woman...?)
You mean the cursed mansion?
You expect us to go there?! Are you out of your mind?!
Anyone who goes near that house is killed by the witch’s curse!
There is... no witch living there. There is no curse...
Giselle... what do you know about that mansion?
I... I lived there for a while. Well, for a month...
You what?
The son of a noble lives there... He’s human... and he’s alone...
A noble? What’s a noble boy doing this far from the city?
I presume... he was banished there. I was sent to the mansion from the capital to act as his servant.
There was plenty of value in the house. Shelves... lined with books...
There should be more than enough to pay the lord five years’ worth of taxes...
...Is what you’re saying true?
I... would not lie...

As bewilderment spread through Amédée’s house, I was unable to look at anything but the floor.

You swear there’s just a single man living in that house?
Yes. It’s only him.
All right. If it turns out you’re lying... you’ll pay.
Okay, everyone, you heard her! Tell all the young men to get ready. We’re going up to the mansion in the forest.
And just to be safe, make sure everyone brings something they can use as a weapon.
And you, Giselle. You’re coming with us.
You’ll be leading the way.
Listen to me. Don’t think about trying to run.
Right...

How had I ended up here? How come I could never manage to avoid getting myself in these situations? And who would have guessed that my reason for returning to the mansion would be to loot it? I prayed for God to show even a little mercy and ensure Michel wasn’t around. Though I knew the chances of that happening were almost zero...

Like its surroundings, the house was bleak and uninviting. Even the midday sun seemed disinterested in shining its light upon it.

Despite, on the surface, there not being much of anything impressive about it, the entire mob stood speechless before its overwhelming presence. But the men had weapons, and they were fueled by avarice, which gave them the courage to approach this place they wouldn’t normally otherwise.

Door won’t open. I think it’s barred from the inside. It would seem someone really does live in this cursed place.
I am honestly surprised. Even moreso that it’s not a witch, but just a noble.
The door’s old. We could break it down!
Yeah! Let’s bust it down!
Hold on! There’s... There’s no need to be barbaric!
Did you even consider knocking on the door like normal people?! You sound like a band of thieves!
Hah! That’s something else, coming from you! Who do you think proposed this plan, Giselle? You!
...!
All right, men! You ready for lives of luxury?! Break down that door!
S-Stop it...

They deserve to be robbed!
Break it! Break down the door!
Please, stop this!
Break it down!
Break it down!
BREAK IT DOWN!
Stop!

All their repressed emotions detonated. They battered the door again and again and again, and in a few minutes’ time, it was on the verge of collapse. They shouted and cheered and hooted like madmen as my peaceful life came crumbling down around me. Growing light-headed from the anxiety, I squeezed my eyes shut, unable to bear it any longer —

when the deep groan of a door opening echoed through the forest.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So, Amédée let slip their location, right?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Ugh, wow. The misery train is unceasing. No wonder she just prefers to be a walking corpse.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This ends...poorly.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Amédée is a fucker.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Warning - more talk of sexual assault in this update.

BGM: Portrait of White

The world went silent, like time had come to a stop. No one could manage to say a word, only stare at the man who had appeared from within the mansion.

Surely you know what this place is called.

Beneath the dazzling midday sun, he had bone-chillingly alabaster skin and long, nearly translucently pale hair.

So surely you came prepared for whatever you would find...

And his eyes...

...A-A demon...

Someone muttered, probably unconsciously. He did, indeed, look like something not of this world.

Aaah, i-it’s a demon! The rumors about this place were true!
A cursed demon lives there!

Demon? Him? Michel?

N-No, he’s not curs —
Indeed! I am cursed!

— !
A witch, a demon, a spirit impure! Call me whatever you wish!
For the truth shall not change! I carry within me an eternal curse!
Behold my flesh, pale as the moon! No red blood flows beneath this skin, as it does yours!
Behold my hair, utterly devoid of color, offered up to the Devil as part of our pact!
Behold these crimson eyes! A symbol of the lifeblood spilt at my hands!
Ah... aaah...
I shall bring calamity upon you, as the witch of legend!
Neverending famine! Plague! Catastrophe! Suffering for generations!
Until the moment of your deaths, you shall regret ever coming near this place!
N-No, no! H-Have mercyyyy! We were just —
It was that woman! She brought us here! Tempted us with promises of wealth!
Deceived us! Told us to pillage this house! We’re innocent!
Amédée...
P-Please have mercy on us!

A-Absolutely, she’s yours! Torture her however you please!
I have one more condition: you never come near this house again. If you so much as consider it...
you will all die by my curse!
— ! I-I swear it! We won’t return!
R-Run! Get out of heeeeeeeere!

Without so much as a glance back, the villagers scrambled into the forest — and Amédée, the man who had rescued me that night, went right along with them. Is there kindness in the world? I wasn’t sure what to think anymore.

His voice rained down on me, but I couldn’t lift my head. There was such a gaping void in my chest, I had no idea what questions I should be asking anymore. What I should be angry about. What I should be sad about. Not even the first clue.

Look at me... Look at me, Giselle!
...!

That you brought those men here? To rob me of my valuables?!
Answer me, Giselle!
...Yes, it’s true... I persuaded them... to steal from you...
— !
Are you really so desperate for money that you resort to looting?!
Just how low will you go?!
Not only did you seduce my father! Not only did you go digging around for information about me!
You brought a mob to this house!
And they were armed too!
Were you trying to get me killed?!
Answer me, Giselle!
Not even going to defend yourself?!
Your scheme failed, so you’re retreating into silence?!
Ahh, for god’s sake... you sicken me! I’m done with you. I’m done!
Leave this place! And never show your face here again!

As he shouted at me and I stared into his fiery red eyes, a somewhat inappropriate thought crossed my mind: “Huh, so he can get emotional like anyone else.” And my heart, stripped raw and cast out to sea, finally sunk deep enough to be crushed by the pressure.

...me...
What?

...?!
You can do that, can’t you?! You can use your curse to kill me, can’t you?!
Then do it! Right here! Use your power! Take my life! And if you don’t want to do that, stab me with your knife!
Kill me, kill me... Kill meeeeeeee!
What —
I’m done! I can’t take it! I’m through with this whole world!
No one will believe anything I say! No one cares one bit about how I feel!
They just walk all over me, laughing!
Why? Tell me, why?! Why is this happening to me?!
I never stole anything!
Wh — What are you talking about?
I tried my best... to look happy... I thought everything would work out if I could keep smiling...
I believed that would make things better! But nothing ever got better!
What did I ever do?! Tell me, what did I do?!
What did — But you...
All I did — All I ever did was believe! Tried my best to survive, to always wear a smile!
But if everything’s going to be my fault... and I have to deal with that for the rest of my life...
then I’m done... I don’t want to live anymore! I don’t want to live in this world anymore!
C-Calm down, please. I don’t follow what you’re saying. My understanding...
is that you desired money... so you brought that mob... And before that... you used my father...
You wouldn’t believe me even if I told you the real story! You’ll take your family’s word over mine!
You don’t have any idea what I went through there! How hard it was just to keep myself together!
Wha...
I never wanted riches! All I wanted was a decent enough wage to allow my family to live comfortably!
That’s all I wanted! B-But that man, he — he used... my family against me!
H-He — H-He made me —
F-Fo — Forced m-me — me to — ! He — He r —

...What?
A-Again and again, no matter how much I resisted, h-he wouldn’t stop, again and again...
H-He threatened me... beat... beat me... c — cut me w — with a knife...
Over and over and over again!
...Wh... What? M-My father...
raped you?
No one would believe me! I — I did n-nothing wr-wrong!
Y-You don’t b-believe me either, do you?!
So I’m done! I don’t want... this body anymore... I don’t want... to live like this anymore!
I can’t take it anymore... Help me, please... Set me free!
Kill me... Kill me alreadyyyy!
Use your curse and kill me! KILL MEEEEEEEE!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!
...G-Give me... Give me a moment... I-I need time... to process this...
You can do it, can’t you?! Then kill me already! Kill me, kill me now!
Ah...
Kill... me... dammiiiiiiiiiiiit!
G-Give me time... so we can talk this through...
I want to hear everything... from the beginning...
Aah, aaaah, aaaaaaaaaaaahhh!
I-Inside... Let’s go inside... and talk. The light...
hurts my eyes...

Not knowing the truth would have been so much easier. I wouldn’t have been made to shudder in disgust hearing about the crimes of my own family. But if I hadn’t opened that door, I would have lost everything.

That day, after far too long,

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

It's incredibly satisfying to hear Giselle speak the truth about what's happened/been happening to her without being talked over or cut off. I know the context is horrible but it's emotional relief like crying.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

It's incredibly satisfying to hear Giselle speak the truth about what's happened/been happening to her without being talked over or cut off. I know the context is horrible but it's emotional relief like crying.

Yeah! I also like that Michel's reaction was not to shout at her more but to go 'wait, what. okay like... sit down and let's... slowly process this like adults'. I'm glad that someone's reaction for once was not to shout at Giselle more.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
He also doesn't seem surprised that she's saying this poo poo about his dad. Disturbed yes, but not in denial about it. Which makes me wonder what exactly brought him out here.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
This is one of my favorite scenes in the game, just for two people having big Tragedy Misunderstandings, then going "wait poo poo, I think we're talking about different things, let's stop yelling and sort this out with our indoor voices" before it gets out of hand.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Also it's kind of funny to watch Big Angry Dramatic Byronic-ish Hero Mode Michel get derailed so forcefully.

Cathartic, at least.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Amidiri posted:

Yeah! I also like that Michel's reaction was not to shout at her more but to go 'wait, what. okay like... sit down and let's... slowly process this like adults'. I'm glad that someone's reaction for once was not to shout at Giselle more.
Yes! Obviously he's got a lot of issues but once it finally comes out what happened to her he respects that and treats her like a person. It was very emotionally satisfying after how everything else similar to this plays out in this story. Like. God, finally a decent person.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
It's been hard to read about all this horrible stuff happening to Giselle and nobody taking her side, kind of like chapter three but even uglier. Unlike WHG in chapter three, she's not really okay with being a silent martyr so having her scream and completely lose her poo poo because she's had enough and won't put up with it anymore is very good, especially since Michel doesn't have his head up his own rear end and is quite willing to listen to her.

I also appreciate how he has this whole wicked witch act ready to go.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Alopex posted:

It's been hard to read about all this horrible stuff happening to Giselle and nobody taking her side, kind of like chapter three but even uglier. Unlike WHG in chapter three, she's not really okay with being a silent martyr so having her scream and completely lose her poo poo because she's had enough and won't put up with it anymore is very good, especially since Michel doesn't have his head up his own rear end and is quite willing to listen to her.

I also appreciate how he has this whole wicked witch act ready to go.

Yes to all of this. His only request is a change of scenery because, well, sunlight plus extremely limited medical knowledge/treatment to help him live with his albinism equals no wonder the poor guy prefers it indoors. Not a big request, and like the thread so far has said, he looks like he's willing to listen. (Also, the house has places to sit that aren't the ground.)

And yes, Michel having the whole act ready to go was awesome. It’s also a bit silly, because how much has he practiced that whole spiel for just this kind of occasion? Michel, ya goof.

e: Also, I just want to point out that I still love the heck out of the art style. You can literally see the moment when Michel realizes he's been a tool, but it's not as overly dramatic as it might be in another art style. Just an eyebrow movement turns an enraged yell into a stunned, even horrified silence. :allears: I love so many things about this game, even when it decides to hurt us.

Skylight fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 2, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
A small touch I like about the art in this game is that once you learn who 'you' are and the story stops being a series of detached anecdotes about strangers, the character images shift from three-quarter view to looking directly at the camera.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Unsure what else I could do for her, I had her sit before the fireplace and waited in silence as she sobbed. I had no idea what one was supposed to say to someone who was crying. Was it normal to offer them a warm drink? I didn’t know. I did know I needed to reflect on the things she had said outside and try to make sense of them, and from there, calm myself down and prepare for the conversation we were to have — as unpleasant as I was sure it would be.

...A considerable amount of time later, Giselle’s sobbing drew to a stop, an oppressive silence stepping in to take its place.

For far longer than was comfortable, the only sound we heard was the gentle crackling of the fire. I had to say something. I knew that, but what I didn’t know was how to begin. I knew nothing about having an honest, face-to-face discussion with someone about the things we were thinking and feeling. But that didn’t change anything...

I had to do it, even if down that road lay truths I would be happier not seeing.

Giselle...
Could you please tell me... what you did at — no, what was done to you at my family’s home,
how you ended up coming to this mansion, and what happened after you left?
I would like to know everything, from start to finish.

You never so much... as gave me the time of day before.
I...
And I very much doubt... you will find what I have to say agreeable.
Will you still believe me, even then?
Believe my word, a stranger’s word,
over your family or the people of the village?
...I cannot yet say. I must hear what you have to say to make that decision.
I suppose that might be better... than you saying you’ll believe me unconditionally.
All right. I’ll tell you everything.
Just know... that nothing I say is a lie.
...Understood.

BGM: Everbody's Crying

She told me of how she accepted an offer from the Bollingers to work as an abigail to earn money for her family. Of how my father, Antonin, had other plans for her. Of the things he did to her. She spoke dryly, simply putting words to each event, one after the other. I had already seen how she felt deep down, though. Had heard her pained screams, which were undoubtedly genuine. I didn’t think she was trying to deceive me. That was the sound of old wounds being torn open, and even I could see that. Or... perhaps my own experiences were what allowed me to see it. Regardless, I had realized too late. I should have seen it sooner.

She described it all mechanically to remain detached from what had happened to her — to protect herself. Of that, I had no doubts. Still, the things she told me were almost unbearable, and I had a difficult time accepting them. What was I supposed to do... when I learned my father was a rapist? How was I supposed to react to that revelation? What was I supposed to think... about the fact that his blood flowed through me?

I repulsed myself.

What do you mean?
Of the wounds he gave me. I still have scars from the things he did.
If you don’t believe me... I can show them to you.
...No... that won’t be necessary.
I see...
That’s... a relief. I don’t think I could have handled that right now.

I hadn’t turned down her offer for her sake. I only did so because I didn’t think I could take any more. I averted my eyes... to protect myself. Why... had I taken my mother’s word, brushing aside everything Giselle had said and done? I knew good and well my mother was no longer in her right mind. So why had I thought her letter the truth? Why had I been unable to think rationally?

There were, I believe, several factors. My childhood, my past, the witch’s whispers... and above all... my own character, consumed with distrust... for everything. I had to face it now. To open my eyes once more, to look at everything I had pretended away until now. I was not completely blameless for her suffering, after all.

Please continue, if you will.

(Sins... that she didn’t even commit...)
It was decided I would be sent here rather than being executed — which is what the mistress wanted.
At first, I assumed it would be, essentially, a private prison,
but in the carriage on the way here, I was given a letter.
A letter? From whom?
It didn’t say, but your father was the one who ordered me here, so I would guess it was him.
The letter was very concise, simply explaining that there was someone already there —
the Bollingers’ youngest child. It didn’t go into any more detail than that.
But it did ask me to look after you.
Do you... still have the letter?
I don’t. The coachman took it back after I was finished. Thinking back on it now, that was rather strange of him to do.
It was just a harmless letter...
It was anything but.
What?

He believes me to be dead, so he would have sincerely thought he was banishing you to an empty house in a remote forest.
The writer couldn’t risk leaving anything that might suggest I was still alive.
Then who...
My brother, I believe. Either Didier or Georges, but I would guess Didier...
Your brother?
Why would he...
I do not know. I can’t imagine why he would write such a letter,
or why he would want to tell you about me.
I don’t believe... he had any ill intentions, at least.
I mean, he asked me to “look after you.” That makes it sound like he’s concerned about you.
Then why doesn’t he stay in contact? Why does he never respond to my letters?
It’s a bit late to suddenly start being concerned...
No... never mind that now. Please tell me the rest.
All right.

Giselle resumed her story from the day she fled the mansion, terrified by my behavior. She seemed to be putting a bit more emotion in her tone of voice now — perhaps because she could see I was more interested in this part. There was a deep sadness on her face as she described that night in the rain, listening to the thunder, when she gave up on living. And I knew I had caused it.

She then told me of the time she spent in the nearby village. How, at first, life had seemed wonderful, but in time it had come crumbling down. Naturally, she wouldn’t be here to tell me this if nothing had happened there. Once she was through with her tale, Giselle let out a long, heavy sigh, as though she had been holding it in for some time.

I thought I could hear just a faint trembling in the air she exhaled.

Do you believe me?
I...
If... If you don’t... If you still think I’m deceiving you...
then I won’t argue with you. That’s fine.
If that’s the case, please just kill me.
Why... didn’t you tell me this sooner?
I know I wasn’t very open to anything you said... but if, that day...
when I found you in my room... you had told me I was mistaken...
that the sin belonged to my father...
it might not have turned out like this...
The knife...
What?
You were holding a knife.
I can’t handle blades anymore... Ever since what happened... they scare me to death.
Just the sight of one in someone’s hand... and I start thinking they’re going to use it on me.
I can’t help it.
I start shaking uncontrollably, growing faint of breath. The world goes white.
I can’t even form words!
There’s nothing I can do.
(Ahh... now I finally see.)
(She was grimacing in pain...)
The day the package arrived, when you knocked my hand away...
Because I was scared. Because it reminded me of that time.

I had assumed she was simply jumpy from a guilty conscience... I felt nauseous realizing I had been pouring a constant stream of salt onto her unmendable wounds. What a damned fool I was.

I...
didn’t want you snooping. If you meant to sell information about me,
I thought I had to do anything in my power to stop you.
I’m still not convinced it was necessary. I was unarmed. I couldn’t fight back. You didn’t need a knife.
I... I have nothing left anymore, so I’m going to tell you exactly how I feel.
You’re a jerk!
What you did was inexcusable. You may not have hurt me physically,
but you still hurt me. Humans are frail creatures! They wound easily!
Apologize.
Wha...?
Apologize to me.
I said apologize.
I-I’m sorry...
Again. Put your heart into it. Convince me you mean it.
I’m sorry...
Again! Once more! Get down on your knees and shout it from your gut!

(...Was that a laugh...?)
Jeez... you’re such a strange man.
Strange...? You told me to do it...
Nothing’s going like I thought it would. I figured even if we talked,
you would just deny everything I said. I didn’t think you’d actually listen to me.
But you did. You listened, and you looked quite distressed by what you heard.
I looked distressed?
Oh yes, you sure did. I wish I’d had a mirror to show you.
I’m sure you didn’t want to believe what I said, but you didn’t once accuse me of lying.
You faced up to the truth, and you apologized.
I... seem to have had the wrong impression of you as well.
I didn’t try to see you for who you were, instead letting myself believe you were someone to be afraid of.
To be honest, I didn’t like you very much.
(The feeling was mutual.)
(But for some reason, I don’t feel that way now... Is it guilt?)
I need to apologize to you too.
Apologize... for what?

I tried to sell you out to save myself...
And for that... I am truly sorry.
...I don’t understand.
What? Uh... d-do I need to get down on my knees too?
No, that’s not what I meant...
The blame falls on the village for falsely accusing you of stealing.
You were a convenient scapegoat for the real thieves. They planned to take advantage of you from the start.
That Amédée was probably in on it as well. To get back at you for rejecting his proposal.
Plus, giving the village a single target to let out their frustrations on would, in a way, help unify them. He used you to meet that end.
In order to escape from their trap, you told them about me.
But this was after I had threatened you, causing you to flee from this place. You have nothing to apologize for.
Still... I still feel really bad about it.
So, uh, I’m sorry anyway!
You’re unexpectedly stubborn.
But now that we’ve both apologized to each other, we can call everything square.
Square?
Square. We were both in the wrong. So we apologized, and we forgave each other.

She gave a little smile, but all I could do was stare at her, brow furrowed in perplexity, like I was looking at some bizarre fantasy-land creature. The weight of our crimes was not equal. What I had done to her was so very much worse. Furthermore...

I didn’t think I would be able to. If I were her, my grudge would extend to all of my family, everyone I had ever come in contact with.

I can.
Although, you don’t need forgiveness for being his son. Being related to someone doesn’t make you responsible for their sins.
It wouldn’t be fair to blame you for that.
You’re curious...
What? Curious? About what?
No, not that “curious”...
You’re... a strange creature...
...I’m human, you know.
Yes... I know you’re human... You’re making me lightheaded...
Is it a medical emergency?!
That’s quite the leap in logic...
...Ahaha.
Hahh, you know, I was at my lowest just a little bit ago, and now I’m laughing again.
It’s odd. I never expected I would recover at all.

I was just as surprised as her. She had been through hell, and she had more than enough reason to despise me — to shower me with vitriol — but instead, she was smiling. And even more unexpected... was the fact that I felt relieved to see it.

Yes, I had fled from the mansion in fear of him, but maybe if I’d had just a little more courage, enough to tell him the truth, maybe he would have listened. I had let my initial impression of him solidify too quickly. I had convinced myself he was insensitive and perpetually expressionless — save for the arctic stare. But the man standing before me did experience sadness, pain, distress. Or, at the very least, he appeared to, from where I was standing. Michel was, just like me, an ordinary person.

That said, there was still plenty I didn’t know. I was still lacking explanations for much of his behavior.

Um, would you mind telling me about yourself now? I’d like to get to know you better.
What are you doing here in this mansion, all alone? Why do you call yourself “cursed”?
I told you everything. It’s only fair you do the same.
I... have no interest in using your information for anything. I have no reason to.
Or are you going to keep pushing the master and servant line? Do you still think I have no need to know?

Wha — ?!
Ah...
Excuse me? What do you mean “I always pick the worst time”?
No, no, I wasn’t — !
Unbelievable! Just when I was starting to think you might actually be a decent human being!
Then you go and spout this!
No, Giselle... I wasn’t talking to you!
Who else could it have been?!
I was, um... talking to, you know...!
I have, um... I have a condition that forces me to vocalize objections to my own thoughts...
You know... that’s about as convincing as my “allergic to people” excuse.
Sorry...
...Weirdo.

What crosses did he bear? What secrets did he keep? Maybe the truth was far beyond my reckoning. And if it was... Even if he did...

No matter what you say, I won’t doubt your words. I will trust you, and I’m sure I can accept anything you say.
Please. If you don’t put it into words, I have nothing to work with.
...Okay.
Where should I start, though...?
Um... How about the curse, then? Are you actually cursed?
That’s a difficult question. I cannot, for example, take someone’s life with my “curse,” nor can I bring about disaster.
I don’t have any magical powers like that.
So, what you said outside was a bluff, then?
It was just a way to chase the villagers away.
Well, you certainly put on a convincing performance. So you can’t actually curse anyone, huh...
Regardless. I am human. Nothing more, nothing less. At least, I consider myself one.
Others would disagree. And the reason for that... has to do with my body.
Your skin, hair, and eye color, right?
...Right.

Seeing Michel under the sun, he certainly wasn’t what most people would consider “normal.” Awe-inspiring, in fact.

Not only do I appear inhuman, I’m oversensitive to sunlight.
While a little light through the window isn’t much of a problem, I can’t be outside, directly under the sun, for more than a couple hours.
When she realized I couldn’t go out into the sun, my mother started thinking I was possessed by a demon,
so she banished me to this mansion until my curse was broken. That was ten years ago.
Just... because you look different from them?
The family’s reputation was at stake too. If other noble houses realized they were giving refuge to an unholy creature,
it would destroy the Bollingers.
You saw how the villagers reacted. They called me a demon when they saw me.
(I suspect the rumors about the mansion played a part in that.)
(If nobody thought the house was cursed, they wouldn’t have...)
I’m sure you were afraid as well. You saw me, and thought I was not of this world. That I looked like a demon.
...I thought you looked like an angel.
...A what?
I, at least, thought you looked more like an angel than a demon. It never once crossed my mind that you might be evil.
But I understand your situation now. Because of your appearance, you’ve lived all alone in this dark mansion...
for ten years.
It was never really... an inconvenience. They bring me all the supplies I need.
You big liar.
Have you never considered running away?
That’s... not an option.
Because of the sun?
No. I could move during the night if I really wanted to.

Watched?
They can’t allow anyone to find out that I am alive — particularly at the Bollinger estate.
If I were to run, and they were to find out, I would probably be killed.
If only I didn’t stand out so much, I might be able to stay out of sight easier.
But also...
Also?
I had... been holding on to a little hope... I think. Hope that I might be able to return some day.
I have all but given up that hope now, though. Not that I ever had enough willpower to really fight for it.
I see...
You don’t need to worry about pitying me either. It’s long since become normal to me.
That’s not something that should ever become “normal”...
So, what was that really, a moment ago? You don’t actually have a condition that makes you argue with yourself, do you?
I...
Please tell me.
...You don’t have to believe me. In fact, I doubt you will.
You’re free to think I’m completely mad.
Don’t worry. I want to know.

The witch’s... voice?
It started when I first arrived at the mansion. No one else can hear it, either.
Like I said, it sounds crazy.
N-Not at all! I said I would trust you, so I believe you!
(Maybe... Maybe he’s not well.)
(Yeah, that has to be it!)
(Ten years all alone in one place and you’re bound to start hearing things!)
(He seems like a delicate person too...)
(Thinking about it like that...)
(I’m starting to feel really sorry for him!)
Uh... do I want to know what you’re thinking?
I’m here for you!
...Huh?
I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to stay here with you.
Wait, what?
Don’t worry! I’ll shout so loud you won’t be able to hear that silly witch’s voice anymore!
W-Will you now...
If you hear it again, let me know, understood? You don’t have to be afraid!
I never said I was —
Whenever you hear it, I’ll be there with you, holding your hand!
Well, we kind of took the extremely long route,
but there you have it. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Master.
Master...

S — S-S — Slow down, please.
What is it? If there’s something you’d like, I’m happy to accommodate!
You actually intend to stay here... again? After what happened last time?
Because of what happened. Because of that, we’re finally able to see past each other’s surface.
I want us to try again, from the beginning. And this time, actually try to be considerate of one another’s feelings.
That’s a promise, Master.
... A-All right...
I... I can stay here, right?
... I... don’t mind.
Hehehe... I’m glad to hear it.
...Say.
Yes, Master?
If you ever want something from me... could I please ask you to put it into words? I don’t have much faith... in my ability... to pick up on things.
...!
Got it! Then here’s something to start with! What do you say we open some of these windows?
Open... the windows?
Yeah. We don’t have to if you think it will cause you problems, but it would be nice to get a little light in here.
I’d like to put an end to this house being a dark, closed-off cave.

You weren’t?
They were like that when I arrived. Made it seem like a very appropriate place to lock me away.
While I am sensitive to light, yes, as I mentioned, a little sun through the windows shouldn’t cause any problems.
All right, then... Can I ask you to help me open them?
Let’s both lighten this place up.

After a few moments of silence, Michel gave me a curt nod. While we couldn’t do anything about the windows that had been boarded up, the two of us forced open the ones that were just covered by rusted-over shutters. When we got the first one open, a beautiful stream of light, like nothing I had ever seen before, flooded into the dark mansion’s halls.

I had assumed that spring would never come. All we had to do was talk to each other, listen to each other, and everything else would fall into place. But it was that first step that was so hard — so much harder than either of us had expected. And now that the ice was melting, we had to treasure that. It might not have seemed like much to someone else, but to us, it was a huge accomplishment.

(I had all the confidence in the world when we were together,)
(but now that I’m alone, in the dark,)
(in the absolute silence of the night,)
(I’m starting to get anxious again...)
(Starting to feel like something bad is going to happen... Like I’m going to mess something up again...)
(We took a big step today, and I know I have to keep it together, to keep thinking positive...)

(It’s all right... It’s okay... There’s nothing to be afraid of, Giselle.)
(Whatever happens, you have to hold fast to your faith in the goodness of others.)
(You have no reason to tremble.)
...?!
Ahh, y-yes! Come in!
That’s odd...
I don’t think I was hearing things...

What was that about...? ...Oh?
A glass?
(It’s wine. And it’s so warm... I guess he heated it on the fire for me?)
Oh, you... You could have at least said hi.
Hehe...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:unsmith:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I'm full of dread for when the bandits inevitably return, if that last story has any parallels.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I already read it before on my first readthrough of the game, but I shouldn't have read the update marked Part 6 again. Gonna be turned off of sex for a week. :(

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm glad they were able to understand each other and now it's all uphill from here to a happy ending full of sunshine and roses?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Alopex posted:

I'm glad they were able to understand each other and now it's all uphill from here to a happy ending full of sunshine and roses?

yeah :smith:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Murk

The light shining in through the windows is swallowed whole by the darkness, as if to say our time together never actually existed.

We saw it, though... Together, we watched the light crack open the darkness.
I’m begging you, please remember. Please find yourself.
Please, Giselle... don’t let the things you felt...
the warmth that fell over us...
remain lost to you!

Seen that most beautiful light...
Giselle...
But are these truly my memories? Could they not be someone else’s tale,
like all the others we have seen so far? She was so bright and energetic, and I am neither of those.
Besides... the Maid needs not a tale of her own.
This is not a story. These are memories.
Mine and your memories. No one else’s.
It was all very much real. As were the kinder, happier days that came next.
Kinder... happier days...
Those words... create a strange warmness within my chest...
but at the same time... they make me indescribably anxious.
Is there really happiness to be found down that road?
Even if our past doesn’t lead to happiness,
it couldn’t be worse than where we are now.
Come, Giselle.

To the spring that made us more than just strangers.

Come on, get up.
Up with you...
MAAAASTEEEER!

BGM: Cicio

See, what did I tell you? It’s so much nicer in here with a little light!
Morning...?
Ah, w-w-wait a sec! Don’t you hide under your bedspread! Get out of there!
I’m fine... with my room staying dark...
(...What’s she even doing in here?)
Oh, but Master, you agreed that I could open the windows.
...I did, yes.
Don’t worry, I’ve put curtains up. If it gets too bright, you can draw them.
Mornings take the best parts of being outside and squeeze them all into the same few hours.
You don’t have to go outside in the sunlight for it either. Just listen to all the wonderful sounds.
The joyous songs of the birds, the swaying of the trees, the rustling of leaves...
A-Am I... being as pushy as I feel right now?
Kind of.
Nnh...
But... you wouldn’t be you if you weren’t, so for now, I won’t get on you about it.
Also,
now that I know your real intentions... um...
No, never mind...
Hehe...

You’re the exact opposite of what I thought you were.
What did you think of me?
Let’s see... I thought you were cold and cruel...
heartless and incomprehensible.
But I’m beginning to get a better idea.
You try to put on airs, but you’re really rather childish.
You have a short temper, but can be surprisingly playful.
Hmm, what else? You have a pretty difficult personality too.
There’s not a single good trait on that list!
Now, now, hear me out here. That’s not everything.
You gave me a chance to talk, and you listened intently.
You can be kind of nice too.
We agreed that we would live together, not just in the same house, so we’ve got plenty of time to add more to the list.
And I hope... you can make your own list about me too.
This is just the beginning, after all... We’ve got a long, long time ahead of us.
Plenty enough to get to know each other, no?

Hmm, where should we begin? Ooh, I know! We can get this place cleaned up!
You want... to clean?
Now that there’s some actual light in here, we can see all sorts of things we’d probably rather not.
Like dust. All over the place.
Hehehe...

My vision was still slightly unfocused, having not completely escaped from Morpheus’s embrace, but I could see well enough to catch her smiling brightly. That was the first time I had gotten a good look at her in the light. I could see facial features I had missed during yesterday’s commotion — and those glittering eyes. Not even a trace of the tribulation she had endured tainted her pure jade eyes.

(She’s... surprisingly good-looking...)
(...)
(...I am clearly not myself right now.)
...? Is something the matter, Master?
Hah hah hah, I know. You’re still half-asleep, aren’t you!
I guess I’m just going to have to throw my best bucket of water on you!
...What is a “best” bucket of water? I’m awake, I’m awake.
Is there something on my face, then?
...Just far too amusing a sight to wake up to.
A-A-Amuuuusing?! Oh, just get out of bed already!
(What a noisy morning...)

...watching him stifle a yawn as he crawled out of bed.

All the little details I hadn’t been able to pick up on in the darkness, his expressions, mannerisms, and the way he looked at me. I could see facial features I had missed during yesterday’s commotion — and those vivid, all-consuming red eyes.

I was probably — no, almost certainly — making a really dumb face at him.
...?
(I-Is it just me... or is he...)
(kind of... no, very pretty?)
(How could I have not noticed until now?!)
(Oh jeez, wow, I can’t look him in the eyes!)
Um...
Y-Yes?! Wh-Wh-Wh — Wh-What can I do for you?!
...Is there something on my face?
Wha — I, uh, no, erm...
Ha...
“Ha”?

... Excuse me?
Um, no, uh, your hair, it’s really long! Yes, that’s it, way too long!
Hoho... Is that any way for a servant to speak to her master?
Ah, urgh...
...I’m just kidding. I don’t have any interest in holding your status against you anymore.
Ah... I-I see...
(It’s really hard to tell if he’s joking or not...)
...So. About that cleaning. May I wash my face first?
What? You’re... going to help?
As I just said, I’m not going to act like I’m superior to you anymore.
...! Hehehe...
What are you snickering about?
I can’t help it. I’m happy. Hehehe...
If my hair... really does bother you, you can cut it.
Huh? I-I can cut it?! O-Of course! I’ll give you the best haircut you’ve ever had!
Oh, but I should warn you, you’ll want to stay perfectly still!
I’m a monster with a pair of scissors! My sister always said you were as likely to lose an ear as you were your hair whenever I cut it!
You stay away from me!

Maybe this was normal, and I had simply never felt it before. I didn’t know. I had thought it would take years of work to get close enough to someone to be able to have a conversation without picking apart every little detail, but here I was, a day later, already there. Was that how it usually worked? Did people normally get close and draw apart so freely? I didn’t find it unpleasant to have someone else around. It was a strange feeling. All that friction had dissipated in an instant, and it was like we had known each other for years. Though not entirely willingly, we began sharing meals, something I had always done by myself.

...Do you have any idea why there was so much rotting parsnip in the cellar?
I don’t care for it.
You could at least pretend to be ashamed!
Yeesh. You’re not a kid, so don’t be so picky! It’s not good for you!
Hasn’t caused any problems thus far...
It will soon enough!
Hahh... I can’t believe you. We have limited supplies, and you won’t eat your vegetables?
Ooh, question! I’ve got an idea!
...Go on.
Is the list of supplies sent by your family set in stone?
Meaning?
I was just wondering if it was possible to make requests. If I could, I would just go out on a shopping trip...
Perish the thought. The only village around here is the one you came from.
R-Right. Say, uh, are you saying that out of concern for —
Who would ever be concerned about you? I just want to be able to sleep well at night. And I’m not interested in throwing more servants to the lions.
... You know, you’re a whoooole lot simpler of a person than I first thought.
...What’s that supposed to mean?
Oh, nothing!
...Back to your question about the delivery. Yes, you can.
I haven’t made any requests recently, but you can write what you want on a sheet of parchment — or, if we don’t have any, something similar — put it in the box, and leave it outside.
As long as your request is not completely unreasonable, it should arrive with the next package. Why, is there something you need?
Yeah, I was hoping to increase our selection of vegetables! And while I’m at it, if possible...
...Actually, that’s a secret!
A-A secret...?
Hehehe. It’s nothing too exciting. I’ll tell you when the time is right.

He was still my master, but he allowed me almost complete freedom, and he didn’t order me around either. He even gave me a hand with my work. Though he was still not very talkative and oftentimes hard to read, he at least seemed to be making an effort to close the gap. He would, on occasion, tell me about himself — though not in much detail, and anytime his family came up, he grimaced uncomfortably. Apparently, his father had wanted him dead. His brothers, though, had worked to create a scenario in which he could live, faking his death and sending him to this remote mansion. I had never encountered Michel’s brothers while at his family’s estate. But assuming he was right and it was one of them who had given me that letter, they were likely our only allies at that house.

“I don’t know what he’s thinking. It’s been ten years,” Michel had muttered, to which I had replied, “Have faith.” It was better to believe in something, even if it felt silly and unreasonable, than to lose faith in everything. My being able to find renewed belief in the kindness of people... was what had allowed me to start smiling again, after all. Because I was able to have that faith, I was able to enjoy life once more. It wasn’t an exciting or thrilling life; it was a humble, simple one with just the two of us. But I wouldn’t trade that light for anything. Some people might think it dull or dreary, but it was ours.

This is apocalyptic! This is mutinous! This is an affront to gastronomy! This is unearthly disgusting!
Get me better ingredients.
Whaaaat?
I am not a bad cook. These are simply bad ingredients. If they were better, they would taste just fine boiled. And it’s not as bad as you claim, besides...
You make a mockery of the culinary arts!
I’ve been eating this for years. I don’t see the problem...
I’ve heard quite enough, Master! It sounds like I’m going to need to put your taste buds through some intense rehabilitation!
(I have to teach him what real food tastes like!)
(Otherwise, he won’t be able to appreciate it if I make him something really good!)

I can handle it. I’m tall enough to reach without standing on a chair.
It’s not as simple as just running a rag over it. I’ve got practice, so let me take care of it, all right?
Mmm... there’s a lot more dust than I expected. I probably should have used something to cover my mouth.
You’re going to want to hold your breath for this, Master. All right, here goes!
(She’s quite practiced...)
(Is there any need for me to be holding the chair?)
Aah...
...Hmm?
Aa-AAA-ACHOO!
— ?!
Ah, aah, aaaah!
Wha — Ho — Whoa — !
H-H-H-H — H-Hold the chaaaaaaaair!
Nnh!
O-Owowow...
I-I’m so sorry! I didn’t think there would be that much dust!
Thank you... for holding the...
Uh... Master...? Your hand... is...
Wha?
Your hand... is, uh... It’s on... my... my chest...

I, uh, er, I, no, I, i-it was an accident...!
R-Right, it was! I’m, uh, it’s fine, really! It was my fault, anyway!
I-It’s completely, totally fine...!
Uh, ah...
(I-I can’t even look her in the eyes... C-Could this be any more painfully awkward?!)
S-So don’t worry about it, Master! Honestly, I should be apologizing for s-subjecting you to that!
(That’s easier said than done... I have to do something about this stifling awkwardness...)
(For one, it was only for a moment. I barely even realized what it was. But that’s not the issue... I need some clever way to brush all this aside...)
(Something witty... that tells her I’m not bothered at all...!)
I — I’m not concerned. In fact, I see no reason to be concerned at all.
It felt like I was squeezing an obese rat. I hardly even perceived it as a breast.
An obese rat... An obese rat...
Wha — ?!

Graaaaaaaaaaaah! Leave my hair out of thiiiiiiiiiiiis!

That’s an exceedingly vague question.
Umm... say when you were really, really stupidly bored out of your mind, what did you do to keep yourself occupied?
...Meditate?
Just how many times have you reached enlightenment?!
...I sometimes played chess too.
Chess...? Wait, by yourself?
Yes. I imagine how an opponent might react to my moves and play the other side that way.
(Th-That’s kind of depressing to think about.)
How about this, Master! Play a game against me!
...Do you know the rules?
You bet I do. I do come from a family of merchants, so I keep up with trends and know all sorts of games.
Oho...
Hehehe. Prepare to meet your maker!

...So, who was I supposed to prepare to meet again?
R-Rrrgh...
(C-Come on! Have a little mercy! You trounced me!)
O-One more time! I just wasn’t at the top of my game!

When am I going to meet this “maker”?
What?! How?! When did you put me in checkmate?!
One more!

Aaah, my kiiiing...
P-Please stoooooooop!
Amateur...
N-Nnnnnnnnrh...! Can’t you go just a little bit easy?!
You never asked me to go easy.
This isn’t a game! This is a slaughter! This is a one-sided massacre!
About this “maker”...
I-I’m looking right at him...
That was actually kind of fun.
No it wasn’t! It was miserable! Next time, we’re playing something fair.
Such as?
Um, let’s see... Ooh, I know. Arm wrestling!
Huh? Arm wrestling?
Yeah. You sit across from each other, put your elbow on the table, grab hands, and see who can pin the other down.
Who would ever willingly participate in such a primitive competition?
Not interested, then? Or are you afraid you might lose?
... All right, then. I can’t imagine losing to a woman.
Hehehe. Okay, elbow on the table. Start on my count.
Reaaaaaaaady, go!

Victory!

BGM: Cicio

I began more freely engaging in silliness, speaking my mind, and showing emotion. I could say her name, and Giselle would turn around and smile at me — an unimaginable sight not long ago. For ten years... For ten years I had lived alone. Solitude had been my “normal,” but that was very rapidly changing at her hands. We were continually getting closer, yes, but not in a romantic sense. If I had to describe it, I would say “good friends” was probably the most apt. Time continued to press on, our relationship remaining relatively stable.

Eventually, summer came, bringing with it the longest periods of sunlight I had experienced in many years. Then, the leaves began falling from the trees, and before long, the world grew cold and dreary. That winter, the fireplace was never without a crackling blaze in its belly. The boiled wine we drank was undoubtedly middling and cheap, but she said, with a smile, “I’ve never had wine this good before.” And though I didn’t say anything, I felt the same way.

The sun set much earlier, and having stopped using candles, we found ourselves habitually gathering around the fireplace when it grew dark.

I bet that’s why troubadours perform at pubs — so they can be near the fire.
Or because there’s ale. Drunkenness makes even bad singing and storytelling pleasant to the ears.
Oh, you’re such a cynic...
But that’s okay, hehe. Say...
...Yes?
Do you remember when I first arrived here? When I was cleaning the library...
Please don’t tell me you’re bringing the “obese rat” incident back up...
No, not that! Before that... Before we could actually, like, actually talk to each other.
I believe I suggested we read something together if you ever felt the inclination.
You... might have. I can’t say I remember.
Are you sure about that? You turned down my proposal, saying I was “wasting my time.”
But look, it actually happened.
Even if you don’t remember, I’m sure you never thought this moment would come.
I was, for the most part... focused on making sure things didn’t get any worse between us,
but to be honest, I didn’t expect there would ever actually come a time we would sit shoulder-to-shoulder and read a book.
Hehehe... You never know how things might pan out.

(I was nothing but hostile toward her.)
(People change...)
(and perhaps, if they can, so can the future...)
(Maybe I can hope... that like our friendship... there’s a chance the future might take a turn for the better.)
...? Is something the matter?
I... I don’t much care for hypotheticals, but if... if by some chance...
I were, some day... to be able to return to that house...
Should that time come...
(That house is home to her nightmares. Even if it didn’t happen until after my father was gone,)
(it wouldn’t erase what he had done to her there.)
(She acts like nothing’s wrong, though.)
(I don’t know. Have her wounds healed, or do they still remain?)
Should that time come?
Should that time come... If that day comes...
I will do what I can to ensure you have a comfortable life in the city.
Though I will not be able to inherit the estate, I can work something out.
...I... I see. Thank you... very much.
But...

...!
Ahh, um, I... I mean... as a servant.
As a servant.
Yes, a servant. We’re, um... short on hands.
I see. A servant.
Do I really need to repeat myself? Yes, as a servant.
Hehe... all right, sure, I think I will! I would like to accompany you, Master.
How exciting. I’m sure a wonderful future awaits us.
I pray so.
Hehehe!
Now, back to the story. I believe we had just gotten to the point where the knight set out to defeat the monster and save the princess!
I bet he was a big, buff, muscular knight!
...Let’s not talk about how muscular he was.

Was it her scent? Or perhaps just my imagination? I had no way of knowing. We sat so close even the slightest shift seemed sufficient to allow me to hear the sound of her heartbeat — causing mine to accelerate. Curiosities flooded my mind — what might she be thinking right now? what does she think about me? — and as much as I tried to banish them, I frustratingly failed. I was just getting caught up in the moment. I had just briefly lost my way.

Though I tried to convince myself otherwise, it was all in vain. When had my pulse gotten so rapid? When had my skin gotten so flushed? When, how, why was this happening to me?

I thought I had already learned my lesson... about having feelings for someone else.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 5, 2018

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Make sure you listen to this, as this is one of my favorite tracks in the entire VN.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ProfessorProf posted:

Your hand... is, uh... It’s on... my... my chest...

I swear I saw an anime like that... :v:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

:unsmith:

Yeah that track is especially lovely. I wish that they would live in these happy times forever.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

:kimchi: I know it's going to get worse again and tear my heart out, but right now it's really sweet and I needed this after spending a day sick in bed.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

A full year had passed since we had resumed living together, and I don’t think it was my imagination that this year felt much warmer than last. Spring seemed to have arrived a bit earlier than in previous years.

One night, when the breeze carried on it a pleasant residual warmth, Giselle escorted me out to the garden.

It’s the middle of the night... What’s so important...
I just found it myself! And I couldn’t wait until morning!
...?
A rose! It blossomed!
A rose...?

Off to the side of a small plot of turned soil, swaying in the wind beneath the moonlight, was a single red rose.

When did you...
Last year, I requested flower seeds. But I just couldn’t get them to grow, and I was starting to think they never would...
But look: it’s only one, but it did.
...I had no idea.
Of course you didn’t. I didn’t tell you.
Why would you keep it from me?
I wanted... to make it a gift for you, Master.
What...? Why?
Roses make wonderful gifts, supposedly.
No... that’s not what I meant. Why me? I haven’t given you anything...
Consider it... a symbol of my hope that we’ll still be this close another year from now. If we are, then this is yours.
(I don’t follow her reasoning...)
(I don’t follow it at all, but...)

...The sight of the deep red rose almost melting into the dark night was perhaps the most wondrous thing I had ever seen in my life. I had never understood why some people found flowers so enchanting. They were always just plants to me.

But...

But that one, on that night, was undeniably beautiful. Majestic. And like a young child seeing a flower for the very first time, my hand automatically reached out for it. Not knowing the proper way to appreciate flowers, I didn’t gently caress its petals or take in its fragrance — but snapped its stem.

When I finally processed her question, that was when I realized I probably should have left it to grow in the garden. From the base of its stem, where I had plucked it, a droplet succumbed to gravity and fell to the earth. With it came the delayed realization that I had ended the plant’s life, but it was overpowered by childish possessiveness — this stunning flower was mine.

Moonlight trickled down from the heavens, giving a gentle bluish tint to my hands and the smile on her face.

You’re going to need a vase then. Give me just a minute —

For the briefest moment, the moonlight must have played a trick on my mind.

U-Uh... Mas...ter?
(Wh — What on earth am I doing?!)

A look of bewilderment filled Giselle’s face, just inches from mine, which hammered in the reality of what I had just done. The thought had just crossed my mind that perhaps her black hair might prove a good backdrop for the rose — but it was supposed to remain a simple fancy.

Wh-What was that about...?
(An excuse... I need a good excuse...)
Uh... a drawing.
...A drawing?
Right, I would like to preserve it on canvas.
...What, um, what?
I mean, uh, that a rose on its own does not make a very compelling picture, so I would like to include you as an accessory.
Wait, you... you want to draw me too?
Merely as a background element. You’re slightly more interesting than a vase, that’s all.
I’ve... never seen you draw anything before.
I-I just never got the urge.
You know how?
Many... many years ago, my brother taught me.
I-I don’t think I can handle being a model... I’ve never had a drawing done of me before... You would probably be better off with just the rose...
You gave it to me, didn’t you? That means I am free to do with it as I please.
I-I did...

But I couldn’t just take it back either.

Giselle had shrunk back quite visibly, and I couldn’t bring myself to look her in the eyes. So I fled to the cellar in search of supplies to escape the oppressive awkwardness. At the far wall, I found a rectangular panel of wood and several sticks of charcoal. My materials were obviously nothing compared to what a court artist might use, but I was clearly not going to be able to do the portrait any kind of justice.

(God... what am I doing...?)
(I want to bury my head in the sand...)

Giselle was waiting for me in the stained glass chamber. It seemed she was still just as uncomfortable as when I had left her. She gave me a fleeting glance before averting her gaze again. If only she would laugh or make a scene like usual, it would make things so much easier. Why did she have to choose now to start acting meek?

Um... what should I be doing?
Stay perfectly still, please.
Do you need me to pose or anything?
No... Just get comfortable.
...Look away.
Wh-Why?
It’s hard to work when you’re watching me...

Um...
...What?
I feel like I have to sneeze...
Hold it in, please.
Um...
What now?
Can I see it?
I’ve barely drawn anything yet.

As long as our eyes didn’t meet, I was able to observe her. And my gaze was quite clearly not focused on the rose, but Giselle. At first, I had regretted my in-the-moment proposition, but I was beginning to think it hadn’t been such a bad idea. Without some sort of pretext, I would never have been able to examine her so intently. I didn’t have that kind of courage.

(...)
(...This isn’t like me.)

But what was “like me”? Did I prefer being a sharp-tongued, unapproachable recluse? Was that what I wanted to strive for?

(Thinking about it...)
(it’s practically a miracle...)
(that we ever ended up so comfortable around each other.)
(That she’s still here right now.)

Light from the moon spilled through the stained-glass window, taking on a multitude of pale tones before falling on her white skin and jade eyes. I had stopped sketching at some point.

...but rather than improve his mood, it had made him go all strange. It had made him say he wanted to draw something. I had never seen Michel draw anything before.

(Ugh, I can’t sit still...)

I tried to sneak peeks of him every once in a while, but any time our eyes met, he gave me a stern “look that way” stare, so I ended up spending a whole lot of time looking at the archangel in the stained-glass window.

(What could he be thinking?)
(Could this be... thanks for the rose?)
(I’m pretty sure he’s not the type who would consider a drawing an expression of gratitude, though.)
(If I’m wrong about that... it’ll turn my whole world upside-down.)
(...Maybe he wanted to draw me?)
(No, not possible. That would turn the world upside-down even faster. He couldn’t...)
(We’re close, to be sure, but we’re not that kind of close. That makes it sound like...)
(like Michel’s... a-attracted... to me. And there’s no way...)
(There’s absolutely no way. He compares me to an obese rat and calls me an amateur at chess, laughing while he crushes me!)
(So that’s... not what this is... Is it?)
...Um.
Huh?! Oh, yes?
If... If it’s too much trouble, you’re free to leave. This might... will take a very long time to complete.
Oh no, no trouble...
You had a very stern look on your face is all.
(I was doing that bad a job at hiding it?)
I don’t want to force you to do anything you don’t want. It was foolish of me to ask of you. I’m sorry.
Honestly, it’s no trouble. I mean it. You just took me by surprise, that’s all!
I’m not even that great of an artist to begin with. That’s not a talent I was blessed with.
If I’m being honest with myself, I can’t imagine anyone would be pleased to have bad art drawn of them.
(What? What’s he getting so negative about?!)

I wasn’t the only one making a face. His head was turned slightly downward, a forlorn shimmer in his eyes. I had never seen him make that face before. He resembled a child who had just been scorned by his mother. I wasn’t at all angry or displeased with him. I was just fine, honestly. I had to get that through to him.

Whether it’s good or bad is irrelevant.
I would...

But the moonlight shining through the stained glass was so enchanting I lost myself in it.

I would be happy with anything drawn for me by the man I love.

For an instant, time froze. By the time I realized what I had said, my mind had gone blank, and I couldn’t form a coherent thought.

Erm, uh, I mean, like, you know, like family! You’re like... an older brother to me!
I meant “love” like love for a brother!
H-Hey, hey, say something, Master! Give me your usual exasperated sigh. C’mon now.
Go on, give me your best “good grief” and then hurl me out the window!
Oh, come on, please! Show me some disappointment!
Ahaha...!
M-Master...?
...?!
A-Aaah...

I didn’t have the presence of mind to wonder why he had knocked over the canvas, or why his hands appeared to be shaking.

A-Aaah, l-let me help you with that!

I stepped towards him. And when I did,

:siren:BGM: Giselle:siren:

There was a visible rosiness in his ethereally pale cheeks.

Um... M-Master?

Flickers of panic darted beneath the surface of his normally stony, red eyes. They were trembling as he looked over at me. I was at a loss for words. We must have been under the moon’s spell. We weren’t thinking. We stood alone in a frozen world, robbed of all rational thought.

Riding the moonlight’s current, his hand fell against my cheek. It was much colder than I had expected, but it felt pleasant on my flushed skin. As we drew closer, I could feel the warmth emanating from his body, and I’m sure he could feel mine. The beating of my heart too. His breathing stopped for a moment, then he gulped. He brought his head in. I closed my eyes, and —

BGM: None

— ?!

— then I shoved him away with all my strength.

Aah...!
Nnrgh... mnh... agh...!

Michel rolled back, knocked his head on the side of a pew, and began groaning in pain — which is when I finally realized what I had done.

(Wh-Wh-Wh-What have you done, Giselle?!)
Aaaah, I’m, um, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to!
Um, um, um, are you hurt?!
...I’m fine.
S — S-S-S — Sorry! I, uh, you startled me!
I really, truly didn’t mean to knock you down!

Wha —
Get some rest. Good night.
Ah...

He turned away, marching off into the corridor enshrouded in darkness. There was a heavy air of loneliness hanging over him, which gave rise to phantom images of him actually disappearing into the darkness. I had caused that. But I hadn’t realized until it was too late. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest.

(Of course I’m going to hurt him reacting like that...)
(Maybe I was hoping... he would say it was just one of his jokes.)
(Do I... want it to be a joke?)

I had that option. I could pretend nothing ever happened, and tomorrow go back to the way things were before. But if I did that... there would almost certainly never be a second chance.

(You were okay with it. You wanted it, Giselle.)
(Quit lying to yourself!)
(You’re the one who said you loved him.)
(And that was no mistake.)
(You wouldn’t sit shoulder-to-shoulder and read a book with someone you didn’t care for.)
(You wouldn’t enjoy eating supper with someone you didn’t like.)
(You wouldn’t be able to live happily with someone you didn’t love!)

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 7, 2018

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

ProfessorProf posted:

Um...
...What?
I feel like I have to sneeze...
Hold it in, please.
Um...
What now?
Can I see it?
I’ve barely drawn anything yet.

I'm pretty sure that I don't remember Giselle talking to herself like this.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I dream of a day, some day, in the distant future, when I get through one goddamn update without loving up the icons.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Warning - this episode is mildly NSFW.

What am I doing, for god’s sake?
I’m not in my right mind...

Something about me was off today. I couldn’t control myself. I was saying things I didn’t mean, doing things I didn’t intend to. I had never meant to do that. But at this point, I had no choice but to admit my feelings. I couldn’t pretend I didn’t know what they were anymore.

How long had I felt this way? A week? A month? Six months? Or maybe... a full year? Had they already developed when we started anew? No, the when didn’t matter. It didn’t change the facts. I was still attracted to her, regardless of when it had begun.

(Aah, but...)
(she pushed me away, quite literally...)

I sighed at myself. Why should I be disappointed? She was nothing like me. I was reclusive and unsociable; she was the exact opposite. She was the kind of person who would confidently tell someone how she felt. And she had done exactly that — said I was like a brother — but I hadn’t listened. As a matter of fact —

(Could I have been any more presumptuous?)
(I don’t deserve to love anyone.)
(It’s better this way.)
(I — )
Master!

Master! I need you to listen to me! Okay?!
What — ?!
About, um, about what just happened, that doesn’t count! You can’t count any of that!
Huh?
That I said I loved you, and that I shoved you! They don’t count!
Aah... Right, I was planning to forget that anyway.
So don’t worry —
No, that’s not what I mean! What I’m saying is that it’s not something I should have said on a whim just because the moonlight was kind of pretty tonight!
It wasn’t supposed to be so casual! The way I said it doesn’t get across at all how much I really care about you!
It should have been something with more impact, rather! Me looking you straight into your eyes, my heart jumping around like it’s on fire! That’s how I should have said it!
Wha — What are you...
I’m saying! I want you to give me one more chance to do it right!
G-Giselle...
I — I, um, I-I... I-I-I-I —
Calm yourself!
I-I am calm!
In no sense of the word are you calm!
Fine, then, I’m not calm! But I am clear-headed! I mean every last word!
L-Listen — Listen very carefully!
I — I — !

Wha? Huh? You mean... like family. Like a brother, right?
Romantic love! Romantic!
...What?
I wasn’t... I wasn’t upset back there! No, I was elated!
...What?

My mind couldn’t keep up with what it was hearing. Half out of breath where she stood, Giselle was frantically insisting that she loved me. Was I dreaming?

U-Um, uh, M-Ma-Master...?
How... How do you... I would like to hear...
how you feel about me!
Assuming I-I interpreted that correctly... you were going in for a k-kiss back there, right?
Right? So I can take that as your answer?
Ah...

Giselle looked up at me with bleary eyes. She... She had feelings — for me. It was a miracle. I could hardly breathe. It felt like someone had stuck their hand in my chest and was squeezing my heart. I just had to say “yes,” and a smile would spread across her face. I could bring her joy, and all it would take was a single word. I had no reason to say no. My happiness was standing right there in front of me. What more could I ask for? All I had to do was reach out and claim it for myself. I had tried to do exactly that in the chapel, and I could do it again.

I-I...

I loved her. I was a twisted man, cast out of the world and left with nothing. I had no way to make her happy, but still, I...

Tell me!
I...

There was no moonlight to give me that nudge.

...Wha?

All the color drained from her, like a flower wilting before my eyes. A heavy sigh spilled from her lips. Her jade eyes swayed lifelessly back and forth. I hadn’t thought mere love could possibly have such weight, but she looked as though I had just told her she was to be executed.

I-I see...
I’m sorry...
I let it get to my head...
Aah, uh, ahaha... sorry for making such a racket...
Really, god, what was I thinking?! I got way ahead of myself there!

Her faux energy hurt to watch. I had hurt her, and this was the result.

“But look where that got you. You would have been better off just going with it.”
“Because when she learned the truth,”
“she would have pushed you away anyway.”

I’m sorry... I’ll be going now... Sorry for... barging in on you like that...

She made her way into the shadows toward the door.

“There, you did it. You preserved your peace.”

I got the feeling she would never again turn back.

“Your mistake was ever getting close to anyone.”

What I had always wanted was right there in front of me, and I was so close to obtaining it.

“And you pushed her away.”

I actually did love her...

“She would never love the real you.”
“No, she couldn’t.”

I can’t believe...
you actually had the gall to fall for me.

...Good night... Master...

She was leaving. I wanted her here, and she was leaving. I simply had to acknowledge my feelings, and she would come back. Was I... really content... to let her go? In my weakness, I mistreated her, I hurt her... I let her go, and I was about to lose her... even though she said she loved me... and I felt the same way...

...W-Wait... Please don’t go...

“Your voice is shaking like a scared child’s. What are you hoping to tell her like that?”

...I-I...

She was different. She was probably — no, she absolutely was nothing like anyone in my past.

“She won’t be any different.”

I decided I would try just one more time —

I...

— to believe in myself, and to believe in someone else.

I lied...
Giselle... From the bottom of my heart, I...

“You’ll regret this.”

No, I won’t.

BGM: Giselle

— !

The fragrance of rose enveloped me. Her arms, wrapped around my chest, were both imbued with strength and shaking like mad, as though the slightest touch might shatter them.

She said in a quavering, sniveling voice just inches from my ear. I lacked sufficient control over my mind or body to return her embrace, to run my hands through her hair, or to do anything more than support her weight.

...I’m sorry...
Jerk... bully... brute! You don’t get to play this one off as a joke!
I am truly, sincerely sorry...
...!
You’ve given me two different stories! Tell me, which one’s the truth?! Were you just “confused,” or do you actually love me?!
I want to hear you say it again!
The truth is... I-I love you.
Again!
I — I love you...
Without fumbling this time!
I love you, as I’ve said several times now!
Not good enough! Again!
Have mercy, please! I’m about to die of humiliation!
Can I... Can I really believe you this time?! You’re not going to say you were lying again?!
No, I won’t...
Then... Then we both feel the same way about each other?
Shockingly enough...
What’s there to be shocked about?!
I didn’t think... there was anything likable about me.
Ugh, you really have to do something about that pessimism!
I’ll try...
Aha... I’m in heaven! Aaaah, I’m so happy I could cry!
You are... All over me.
Ahaha...
Oh, thank goodness... Thank goodness...
When you first said no, everything went black. I wasn’t sure what I would do anymore. I had lost all hope.
I really... really do feel bad about that.
But you had a change of heart. Now you’re willing to have me.
...Yes.
And... everything I bring with me.
That was the idea.
Absolutely everything, right?
You’re pushing that point rather hard...
...I have a request.
...?
It’s something I don’t think I could ask you at any time but now, while we’re in the moment.
I will do anything, so long as it is within my ability. Tell me, what is it?

What?!
More specifically... my scars.
You are going to have to see them eventually...
in which case, I would like that to be now.

A year ago, I had refused to look at her scars. I had been certain I wouldn’t be able to accept what they represented — the abuse my father had subjected her to. If possible, I would have preferred never having to face that. But I, more than anyone, needed to know. It was my responsibility. I had to accept reality — not grimace or avert my eyes. I had to face up to what had been done to her.

...Okay.

The sound of her clothes rustling made me feel as though I was doing something incredibly improper. As much as I tried to feign calm, I was so tense my joints were practically creaking and my heart felt like it was being stepped on.

(I-I feel like I’m made of stone...)
I’m ready... You can turn around.
...A-All right... I — I’ll count to ten...
Ahaha...
(She’s laughing at me...)
I feel a whole lot better seeing you so nervous.
...I’m turning around.
Okay.

Her head was tilted down just enough to keep me from making out her expression, but she couldn’t hide the pink flush spreading across her cheeks. It contrasted well against her white — but not excessively pale — skin, as did her jet-black hair.

Sorry it’s... not anything nicer to look at...

In what way was this not a pleasant sight? I had never been more entranced by anything in my entire life. She was stunning. I had no measure of comparison, but I was certain the same sight of any other woman in the world would not have had the same effect on me. I could say as much with confidence, despite having never seen another woman nude. Hypnotized, I couldn’t take my eyes off the gentle curves of her body. Were I more socially inclined, perhaps I could have told her she was pretty, which perhaps would have brought a sheepish smile to her face. And though I wanted to, my throat was dry as dust, and all I could manage to produce were incoherent rasps.

Um... please... please say something...
Ah...
I’m... I’m hideous, aren’t I? I’m unclean...
You’re... not hideous.
...You mean it?
I mean it...
Why... would you think so?
Because I...
Y — You are not unclean... Not in the slightest...
...Y-You mean it?
I do...
Even seeing this?

Giselle’s eyes slid downward, a trace of fear lurking just beneath the surface. Following her lead, I dropped my gaze to her lower body.

And there... I saw her scars.

As she had described for me, the lines were arranged to form letters carved into her skin.

(Ahh, so that’s why she said I would have to see them eventually...)

My instincts told me these were wounds she would carry for the rest of her life. I felt nauseous. Heartbroken. Infuriated. At the fact that the person who had done this was out of my reach. At the fact that I could do nothing for her. What went through my father’s mind... when he looked at these? What did he gain from giving her these wounds? Why did he have to do this to her? Why my father, of all people?

Giselle was the one with the scars. Giselle was the one in pain. But I felt like someone had shoved a handful of needles into my chest. Dozens of thick metal stakes piercing the walls of my heart, blood streaming through me like a river. If I didn’t force myself to face it, I was liable to run.

What was the right thing to say? What was I supposed to tell her? As hard as I thought, I couldn’t come up with an answer. All I came up with was intense frustration. It killed me that I couldn’t take these scars from her. That I couldn’t give my father a piece of my mind.

You are in no way hideous... no matter what marks are left on your body.

It took all I had to form that single sentence.

Thank goodness. I’m so glad to hear that.
When I was down in that village, they said it didn’t matter what they did to me because I was already dirty.
That made me think I had reached the point where I was so tainted...
anyone could see it.
Ah... I’m sorry...
Why should you apologize?
You were frowning really intensely... I thought I might have made you mad...
No, I’m not angry at you...
I’m angry at my father, the villagers,
and myself.
May I... touch them?
...You may.

My hands were trembling, but I knew I wouldn't be doing her any favors by hesitating. As soon as my fingertips brushed her skin, she shuddered.

...Does it hurt?
No... there hasn’t been pain... in some time.

I could feel her trembling where I touched her; it didn’t seem like it was going to subside anytime soon.

Nnh... mnh...

Soon, she began whimpering softly. Her lips moved as though she was trying to say something, but the best she managed was a few strained gasps. Tears had begun welling up in her eyes as well.

I’m... I feel like I’m in heaven right now... but I also kind of hate myself...
Hate yourself? But why?
B-Because I can’t stop shaking... I’m overjoyed to feel your touch... but I can’t control my body.
I know you’re nothing like that... but I-I keep seeing flashes... of you doing other things in my mind...
It kills me that my body won’t react the way I feel in my heart.

I was foolish to have ever thought these wounds might have healed. Just as scars remained on her body, so too did they remain in her heart. Unlike the physical wounds, though, the ones inside her seemed to still be raw and bleeding. She just did such a good job of acting normal that I had begun to think she might have gotten past them.

(Of course not, you blind fool...)
...You shoved me back there because it brought back those memories?
That’s right... I’m sorry...
I’m really, truly sorry...
Why are you apologizing? I should be the one...

What...?
Do you want to curse Antonin?
If you so desire... I might be able to make it happen. Cast a curse on him — perhaps even a fatal one.
...I...
Ignore the fact that he’s my father. I don’t consider that man family anymore.
I want you to be honest with me. If, hypothetically, such a thing were possible, would you want to curse him?
...No, I would not want that.
...Why not? You have every right to take revenge. For what that man did... he deserves punishment!
He inflicted so much pain on you! You’re still shaking, more than a year later! And you can just let him get away with it out of the goodness of your heart?!
Hypothetically! If you wanted to curse him, I — !
I wouldn’t do it even hypothetically. And not... out of the goodness of my heart. I’m just a coward.
A... coward?
If curses were real, and he were to die by one,
then I would never, ever be able to forget. If my resentment for him took his life,
that would mean he had damaged me so permanently I was never able to get past it.
I don’t want that. I want to be able to forget.
I’m still shaking now... but one day, I want to be able to proclaim, proudly, that it no longer has any control over me.
But I appreciate the sentiment. Setting aside your choice of method...
you asked out of concern, and that’s more than enough for me.

A soft smile spread across her lips, but all it inspired in me was powerlessness. She was putting on an act. Was the sentiment really “more than enough”? Of course not. Not when she was still trembling so much. But what was I to do? What was I — unable to leave this house and helpless against the will of the Bollingers — to do? I was incapable of assuaging her pain, wasn’t I?

I couldn’t do anything, could I?

(Before I throw in the towel... I need to take some real time to think.)
(To stop running from the problem.)
(To figure out a real way to give her what she wants,)
(that doesn’t involve curses and angry words!)
(There has to be something only I can do!)
...Giselle.
...?

I took the hand that had been tracing her scars and slid it around her waist. Even now, her trembling showed no signs of abating.

I will never...

The one thing I could do —

...hurt you again.

— was to wrap her trembling body in my arms.

Mnh...

You can be scared, and you can quiver, but please don’t apologize for it. Please don’t feel bad about it.
Ahh...
I promise not to turn my head away from your pain.
...!
So I ask of you...
try not to keep it buried.
Nnh...!
I have no power or influence. I don’t know all the right things to say. I am a man with nothing to his name.
But the one thing I do have...
is a heartfelt desire to do whatever I can for you.

As soon as I tightened my grip around her waist, she lurched forward, throwing her arms around me.

Nnh... mnh... aaah...!

Muffled whimpers resonated against my shoulder where she had buried her head.

Nnnnh... aaaah... aaaaaaaahh!

Eventually, they grew into unfettered sobs —

— and my bedchamber was enveloped in the sound of weeping.

She cried like a little child. The usually strong-willed, cheerful, optimistic Giselle wailed from the depths of her soul. This past year, she had constantly been nudging me forward. It was always her leading the way. There had, undoubtedly, been moments where she had wanted to cry like this but couldn’t. So, starting now, I was going to try and support her too. I was sure I would mess something up, as I had little experience being caring. I would probably anger her, probably stress her out, and probably make her cry. But I had found my resolve. I had overcome my hesitation. I was sure I could do it. That I could create a place where she could find peace.

I could surely...

I had, as I said, not looked away, simply holding her in silence. She had a decidedly not-childlike frame, but she seemed incredibly small in my arms. We felt each other’s warmth through my clothes. Between sniffles, Giselle said softly,

One day, I’m certain... I’ll be able to, without any hesitation...
be properly joined with you... and it will be wonderful.
Right now, I still can’t control the shaking...
but eventually... I want to be able to put my hands on you too...

The affection infused in each and every word was palpable.

Some time later, she drifted off to sleep, exhausted. I prayed, from the bottom of my heart, that at least tonight, she would have pleasant dreams.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ah yes. This is good. Ahaha.

Michel is such an awkward dork. Giselle is some easy listening. I dig that guitar.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Giselle!!! God, that poo poo is so real.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
This is so refreshing after the past 3 stories (not counting the obviously fake one) to have people actually talk to each other about their problems. And Michel and Giselle are a really cute couple. :3:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

These two are :kimchi: really fuckin' cute :kimchi: and while I can't manage suppress the dread of the inevitable point where something goes wrong I can at least enjoy these two dorks doing their best.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Not gonna lie, this scene is one of the ones that make me tear up whenever I see it. This one, though, it brings the happy tears. :3: Yes, good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm waiting to see Michael's hang up. We really aren't through his troubles, are we?