Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Trickster would be better if its spells were 1/encounter each instead of using guile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Gorelab posted:

Is there any way to keep Maia if you side with the Huana?

Yeah with a reputation check I think you can talk her into it.

Specifically I think you need Shady and Diplomatic at 1 or less.

The alternate way I accidentally did it was I went to the Rautai first to discuss their offer. When they told me what they actually wanted me to do, I said no thanks. Then go back to the Huana and Maia shouldn't complain much.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Octo1 posted:

Trickster would be better if its spells were 1/encounter each instead of using guile.

That would ruin the trickster's only good trick.

Mirrored image, particularly in 1.1 where llengrath's displaced image has been nerfed, might be the best deflection buff in the game as long as your deflection isn't already so high as to push you out of the hit range entirely and as long as you can afford to recast it when the bonus degrades. Wizards and priests of Wael can cast it, but only two times per encounter at the cost of another spell. Tricksters can basically keep mirrored image up at a high deflection bonus for an entire fight as long as they aren't spending all their guile on other stuff.

Of course, that's not enough to save the class, since you're giving up an enormous amount of offense, both in terms of the lower sneak attack boost and guile spent on dealing damage for a defense boost that's overall worse than what classes like paladins and fighters (they don't get only deflection, and they have ways to stack deflection as well) get without any sacrifice.

But making the skills once per encounter would only exacerbate the class's problems. Per encounter trickster powers would hit the class really hard in the early game, when it's weakest. Using escape or crippling strike one more time probably isn't that important. Late game, per encounter wall of many colors would decent, but in that case you're only getting your one useful trick by level 19, when the weaker sneak attack doesn't hurt so badly because of scaling and deathblows.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
After a bit of playing and chronnic restartitis over the weekend; is Devoted's bonus really all that on a soulblade? I guess penetration might be worth it but critting already seems to overpenetrate incredibly hard and for harder targets Soul Annihilation seems to be the way to go

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Does Serafin go anywhere if you don't pick him straight off? I don't want to have to fight everyone in Deadlight again.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ewe2 posted:

Does Serafin go anywhere if you don't pick him straight off? I don't want to have to fight everyone in Deadlight again.

Uhhh you're meant to pick him up as soon as your boat is repaired, and if you don't it's a glitch (unless you intentionally refused him).

He shows up again at the start of Fort Deadlight if you didn't pick him there, and it's possible to glitch out again if you want to take him but the game fucks up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So there's a shield for monks in the metalworks shop that gives deflection and reflex per wound. It also counts as an offhand so I take it you are dual wielding when you use it like the barn door in poe1.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 5, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Uhhh you're meant to pick him up as soon as your boat is repaired, and if you don't it's a glitch (unless you intentionally refused him).

He shows up again at the start of Fort Deadlight if you didn't pick him there, and it's possible to glitch out again if you want to take him but the game fucks up.

Ah yeah, found him outside the dungeon doors.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

So there's a shield for monks in the metalworks shop that gives deflection and reflex per wound. It also counts as an offhand so I take it you are dual wielding when you use it like the barn door in poe1.

It counts as actual dual wielding and works with both 2w and w+s styles whereas the larder door mostly made you deal less damage than with a weapon + another shield.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 5, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dunno how they worl now but that was mainly because the bash damage didn’t scale and took up a regular attack in the queue.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The bash shield now is something like a stiletto in base damage that gains enchantment based on the monk’s unarmed bonus. It also can get some pretty cool enchants. I definitely want to build a sword and buckler character around it at some point, but I don’t know what build to go with. Shadowdancer would be my first instinct, but I’m not sure.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
HEY O' Away, the GOOD ship now is rollin' !

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Tenzarin posted:

Fist and shield? What are you, Captain America?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

HEY O' Away, the GOOD ship now is rollin' !

When I was-a littuhl Gurl, my lips were old and moldy!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Getting my rear end whooped in POTD, first island. (1.1 Beta)

So if it's not the thugs in the waterlogged alley kicking my rear end, it's the drake in the ruins/quarry that completely annihilates my party.

I'm not sure what to do. There's little to improve in terms of consumables... I know people were complaining about the game being too easy, but this is a little too hard.

Any advice? Level 3, not sure how to level up more.

I have a Shepherd as my MC, Ranger/Pally. Probably not the most useful, any advice?

Don't play PotD

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Don't play PotD

Alternatively, there's no shame in stealthily avoiding encounters until you're strong enough to best them. Discretion is the better part of valor!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is the new patch also fixing companion relationship stuff and Aloth's conflicting stewardship/autonomy thing?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Schurik posted:

When I was-a littuhl Gurl, my lips were old and moldy!

I found the real lyrics, we're both a bit off. But not off key - which is the important part.

quote:

When I was a little lad or so my mammy told me, to me
Way haul away, we'll haul away Joe

That if I didn't kiss the girls, me lips would all grow moldy,

Way, haul away, we'll haul away together
Way, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe!
Way haul away, we'll haul for better weather

For once i had an Irish girl but she got fat and lazy,

for now i got an Cornish girl, and she can drive me mazy,

King Louis was the king of France before the revolution,

And then he got his head cut off, it spoiled his constitution,

A hey cant you see the black clouds arising

A hey cant you see the storm clouds are gathering

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

Is the new patch also fixing companion relationship stuff and Aloth's conflicting stewardship/autonomy thing?

It definitely fixes the stewardship/autonomy issues, not sure about companion relationships generally.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Helwalker might be the only class I would recommend dropping might below 10 to increase con to max.

Streetfighter Rogue. You start at the front, maybe get flanked, as soon as you hit bloodied you escape to the enemy back line and destroy it. Persistent distraction gives you Deathblows, so you get upwards of 175% weapon damage from the class without spending resources, a free 20% lash on all of that, and a FIFTY percent action speed bonus.

Just make sure to give them at least strong at the beginning. Try to avoid maluses.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I found the real lyrics, we're both a bit off. But not off key - which is the important part.

I'm a pro at mishearing/misremembering lyrics, and especially here where they can be hard to hear.

And we'll rooooooooll the oooold ferris wheel along!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Re: streetfighter - what actualy triggers flanked? Don’t think it’s just simply fighting 2+ enemies as I initially assumed.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
Flanked is triggered by being attacked from two opposite sides. There's quite a lot of leeway with it but I don't think it works if the 2 attacking characters are standing right next to each other.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Two enemies hitting you from "opposite sides" (seems to be pretty generous), any perception affliction, some spells. At the very start of the game, pick Escape and the Blunderbuss modal. Dual wield a blunderbuss with a melee weapon. At range, fire the gun with modal, then Escape in to flank (no recovery on firearms, only reload, so you can do this instantly) and slice em up. You'll get the weapon speed increase of dual wield but only strike with the melee weapon and you'll blend stuff up.

Later on, everyone seems to try and get the Rogue flanked and says the class is mediocre. I have the rogue on the front, helping to control combat as it starts, then Escaping to take advantage of bloodied, to huge success. I then just zip from mob to mob and destroy them in a full attack, sped up by Streetfighter.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Higher level monk powers are so cool that I'd really like to make a gimmick Long-Pain focused monk but it seems so much less attractive with the new stuff.

Long Pain is also a relatively midgame power so you have to have your monk be something else for the first quarter of the game.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

derra posted:

Two enemies hitting you from "opposite sides" (seems to be pretty generous), any perception affliction, some spells. At the very start of the game, pick Escape and the Blunderbuss modal. Dual wield a blunderbuss with a melee weapon. At range, fire the gun with modal, then Escape in to flank (no recovery on firearms, only reload, so you can do this instantly) and slice em up. You'll get the weapon speed increase of dual wield but only strike with the melee weapon and you'll blend stuff up.

Later on, everyone seems to try and get the Rogue flanked and says the class is mediocre. I have the rogue on the front, helping to control combat as it starts, then Escaping to take advantage of bloodied, to huge success. I then just zip from mob to mob and destroy them in a full attack, sped up by Streetfighter.

So the blunderbus modal gives you distracted for 10 seconds which triggers the streetfighter bonus? That sounds like a lot of fun actually I'll have to try it out. Is there a way to tell your PC to melee attack or range attach when you are dual wielding like that? Haven't tried a pistol/sword setup yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bewilderment posted:

Higher level monk powers are so cool that I'd really like to make a gimmick Long-Pain focused monk but it seems so much less attractive with the new stuff.

Long Pain is also a relatively midgame power so you have to have your monk be something else for the first quarter of the game.

You can get up to about level 8 with minimal combat -- you have to get through the first island, but after that Neketaka has a bunch of non-combat quests, plus Fort Deadlight, etc..

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Schurik posted:

I'm a pro at mishearing/misremembering lyrics, and especially here where they can be hard to hear.

And we'll rooooooooll the oooold ferris wheel along!

Especially easy to do with fantasy names.

That reminds me, there's a decent amount of dialogue and descriptions and stuff mentioning the Wheel, helps to make sure it's in the player's mind as a concept, you know in case it might be relevant later

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Was there an option to fight Eothas at the end of the game that I just didn’t pick? Would’ve been fun way to win that story.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

pmchem posted:

Was there an option to fight Eothas at the end of the game that I just didn’t pick? Would’ve been fun way to win that story.

yeah he just snuffs your soul out no biggie instantly

no fun allowed basically

derra
Dec 29, 2012

CFox posted:

So the blunderbus modal gives you distracted for 10 seconds which triggers the streetfighter bonus? That sounds like a lot of fun actually I'll have to try it out. Is there a way to tell your PC to melee attack or range attach when you are dual wielding like that? Haven't tried a pistol/sword setup yet.

You will either only melee or shoot depending on the distance. Both weapons benefit from dual wielding attack speed, even though you're only hitting with one at a time.

It limits your full attacks so as you get tanker and get more guile you'll switch to dual melee setups but it's a great way to start the game.

Also pick Escape. Escape is one of the best abilities in the game. One guile to break engagements, position yourself anywhere and a significant deflection buff you...can do funny business with. I've alternated it with attacks to tank a troublesome mob, or extended it with Salvation of Time...

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Please discover why Eothas is stomping around the Deadfire archipelago. We gods have absolutely *no* idea why he might be interested in this area.

I mean what's even around there?! What a waste of his time!"

*Berath laughs nervously as she shares a fearful glance with Magran*

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Well, I think they originally thought he was trying to reascend using the souls in Luminous Adra, which is also only found in the region, and destruction of the machinery that keeps himself alive was unthinkable.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The gods are all huge selfish obsessive jerks, which makes it hard for them to understand some who's just huge and obsessive.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I ended the game thinking Eothas was a pretty cool dude.

e: Actually Berath was pretty chill about it in the end. She was just like: "Hey, you're the only person on the planet he's going to listen to - make sure you think before you speak. Good luck kiddo."

All the rest of them tried to tell me what to do.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"Please discover why Eothas is stomping around the Deadfire archipelago. We gods have absolutely *no* idea why he might be interested in this area.

I mean what's even around there?! What a waste of his time!"

*Berath laughs nervously as she shares a fearful glance with Magran*

i mean, it tracks pretty well. if the gods just wanted to know what he was up to, they could watch him do it and see. but because of where he is going, there is a vanishingly tiny chance that he is going to gently caress up THE THING, and we might need someone to handle that

we can either go through a whole to-do about putting together a motley team of champions until we find a set that only pisses of two or three of the gods, or we can just grab that nerd from the whole Waidwen's Legacy nonsense and make THEM go do it

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Think I found a bug: my MC (bleak Walker/fighter) is wearing that Valera dudes chest piece, the one that gives deflection based on your Intimidate skill. It seems like I periodically lose the bonus and have to unequip/re-equip the armor to get it back.

Is this a known bug/fixed in the current beta? Are any of the other items with skill-based bonuses similarly bugged?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Harrow posted:

Yes. It's been like 20 hours and Xoti and Pallegina are only at +1 relationship and haven't fought yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What was Eothas's plan with the whole Saints War thing? I think there was some allusion to (POE 1 spoilers) stopping Woedica from reclaiming her power, but I don't know why he had to mobilize an entire nation to go to war with another nation to combat a secret cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

GrandpaPants posted:

What was Eothas's plan with the whole Saints War thing? I think there was some allusion to (POE 1 spoilers) stopping Woedica from reclaiming her power, but I don't know why he had to mobilize an entire nation to go to war with another nation to combat a secret cult.

Thaos was killing kids, and Eothas was pretty ticked off about it.