Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Splicer posted:

that is not one of the recommended uses.

http://www.italymagazine.com/italy/ancient-romans/ancient-romans-may-have-used-flat-stones-toilet-paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Charlier bases his argument on the fact that such discs were often found near latrines and investigation revealed “residue” on some pieces. The anthropologist also cited an image on an Ancient Greek cup showing what appears to be one of the stones being used and an Ancient Greek proverb quoted by the character Trygaeus in Aristophanes’ ‘Peace’ that said “Three stones are enough to wipe one’s arse.”

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Charlier bases his argument on the fact that such discs were often found near latrines and investigation revealed “residue” on some pieces. The anthropologist also cited an image on an Ancient Greek cup showing what appears to be one of the stones being used and an Ancient Greek proverb quoted by the character Trygaeus in Aristophanes’ ‘Peace’ that said “Three stones are enough to wipe one’s arse.”

like jurassic park, demolition man was an eerily predictive movie

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mellow greetings friend, what seems to be your boggle

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
simon says "mine"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Wheany posted:

simon says "mine"

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

i saw the thraed title change, i understand that someone has said "buttcoin"??
🍑💸💨

p.s.

BMan posted:

I can not believe what I rode it!
:pusheen:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
second bitfinex outage today:toot:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

More like bidfinex.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Erenthal posted:

like jurassic park, demolition man was an eerily predictive movie
"predictive" of the ancient greek quote that i'm assuming inspired the shells in the first place? :confused:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thanks radium

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 5, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Djeser posted:

segwit is the thing that makes the transaction ID a way of identifying transactions right

segwit is the thing that moves crypto signatures into a separate structure and makes blocks "smaller" because they decided that each segwit signature byte should count as 0.25 real bytes for blocksize measuring purposes

it's basically a way to increase blocksize by 4x in the most convoluted way possible

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this whole story is batshit wild in that it literally amounts to shut-in idiot trying to buy a girlfriend with shitcoins and then killing himself when that obviously fails but everyone is trying to turn it into some crazy conspiracy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

this whole story is batshit wild in that it literally amounts to shut-in idiot trying to buy a girlfriend with shitcoins and then killing himself when that obviously fails but everyone is trying to turn it into some crazy conspiracy

cops absolutely might buy it though

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Blockchain voting trials still bullshit, six confirmations at 11pm

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bold move naming their company after the gamergate reddit

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
there must be something in the air in West Virginia that makes them want to try over-complicated bullshit. a few years ago, they came up with a brilliant plan where they'd make Medicaid recipients agree to participate in health improvement programs (smoking cessation, weight-loss, etc.) in order to get full access to coverage. if the person failed to agree, or didn't abide by the terms, they'd be kicked into a plan that covered fewer services, unless they were pregnant, suffering from TBI, or any of a hundred different exemptions. this was on top of regular means-testing that people who are merely poor go through, with the periodic checks that also entails. the idea limped along for a few years—with other states salivating over the prospect of being able to pay less to cover unmotivated "fatties"— until they got sick of dealing with the enrollment packets and trying to herd people into Smokers Anonymous and Weight Watchers in exchange for decent coverage. then they just flushed everybody back into the old-fashioned program. though they continue to try to think of ways to fix the idea, so they can cut costs for medical coverage by instead paying more to data workers.

maybe they're like the little brother of states or something. they jump off the roof first, and Alabama and Texas wait to see if any legs break before they go.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

“You take a photo of your photo ID and then they take a selfie of themselves,” Kersey explained. “Facial recognition software is then deployed to compare the photo on the ID and the photo of the person who took the picture. Only if that’s verified will you be registered to use the application and receive a ballot. Once you’re in, it matches you in the application to you in the voter registration.”

incredibly secure, i mean how can someone get both a picture of an ID and a different picture of the same person that's in the ID!?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Herrvillain posted:

there must be something in the air in West Virginia that makes them want to try over-complicated bullshit. a few years ago, they came up with a brilliant plan where they'd make Medicaid recipients agree to participate in health improvement programs (smoking cessation, weight-loss, etc.) in order to get full access to coverage. if the person failed to agree, or didn't abide by the terms, they'd be kicked into a plan that covered fewer services, unless they were pregnant, suffering from TBI, or any of a hundred different exemptions. this was on top of regular means-testing that people who are merely poor go through, with the periodic checks that also entails. the idea limped along for a few years—with other states salivating over the prospect of being able to pay less to cover unmotivated "fatties"— until they got sick of dealing with the enrollment packets and trying to herd people into Smokers Anonymous and Weight Watchers in exchange for decent coverage. then they just flushed everybody back into the old-fashioned program. though they continue to try to think of ways to fix the idea, so they can cut costs for medical coverage by instead paying more to data workers.

maybe they're like the little brother of states or something. they jump off the roof first, and Alabama and Texas wait to see if any legs break before they go.

they just like pissing public money into privatized hands like every other lovely state, doing it this way makes them seem ~on top of technology~ and ~riding the wave of the future~

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i keep reading "segwit" as "segfault"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
more like segshit

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

more like............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................i can't come up with anything sorry thanks for reading bye

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

coiners are killing sherpas on Everest now https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Man-dies-Mount-Everest-ASKfm-sherpa-cryptocurrency-12967630.php

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Boxturret posted:

more like............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................i can't come up with anything sorry thanks for reading bye

:wrong:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

.........................! why

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

i don't know man, the pigeon guy told me to do it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

if the bird told you to murder would you?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i keep reading "segwit" as "segfault"

I read it as either segfault or fuckwit. it's weird.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
welcome to page (googles "yospos bitcoin sherpa") 78

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

if the bird told you to murder would you?

only one way to find out

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Birds are dinosaurs so basically they want to murder us all and take over the world again. I am on to them.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Its crazy to think how quorum-based computation (Qubic) is now the newest and most cutting edge technological ideal the world has ever seen... and we heard about it the day it was announced self.Iota

Submitted 23 hours ago by zyuko22

quote:

[–]Mintberrycrunchie 34 points 20 hours ago
Most people can't grasp the whole concept behind Q, so there will be no moon. IOTA is just to complex for the normal moonkid to understand it and so we have to wait for cooporations to bring it to the masses with the IF. The future will speak for itself in the end.

[–]zyuko22[S] 7 points 16 hours ago
Totally agree. I pay zero attention the the current price because I know as time progresses, the world leading companies already on board will quietly bring iota to market and shear demand for the coin will drive up the price.

Major news outlets won’t document it, but this is the biggest train the world has every seen and it will literally dominate those in its path.

It’s so hard to make people see it the way we see it. Even if they have all the proof right in front of them, they still can’t see the significance. Only once it’s been implemented and becomes the standard will people be like “drat it was so obvious why didn’t I just take it more seriously”

quote:

[–]tending 8 points 11 hours ago
Christ you guys, the quorum concept has been in distributed computing within Computer Science for decades. PaxOS and Rift protocols both do this. Chubby which is Google's lock server based on PaxOS I think even predates Bitcoin.

I'm not saying there isn't an interesting mix of technologies here, but this headline is just drooling ignorance of CS. You're highlighting the part that's not new.

[–]zyuko22[S] 1 point 10 hours ago
i stand corrected, would you then agree its not the specific parts but the combination that is cutting edge?

[–]ProgrammaticallyFood [score hidden] 31 minutes ago
Nothing about this is cutting edge, you just don't have the background to understand why. #bagholdr

internEt of thINGSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Qubic is a major city in Canada.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
google spanner, their global sql db, is backed by paxos, which is a quorum (consensus) dealio

it's just that... spanner is made by ultracompetent peeps and they actually understand the problem and therefore involve no tokens or cryptoshit in it whatsoever and are not a shady fly-by-night operation etc etc

and goog understands that paxos despite being decades old is still cutting edge

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the thing with paxos is it started as an academic algorithm: get things to agree on a single value. once you got that, you can make anything from that building block. well that's the theory anyway. the trick, though, is that doing this efficiently is one of those things that's "left to the reader"

and that's where things go to hell, because distributed systems are hell in the first place, and the moment you change anything whatsoever, it's entirely possible that all the correctness proofs for simpler cases no longer apply

i mean there's a reason some people decided to come up with raft despite paxos existing, where two of the main goals were designing a practical consensus algo (agreeing on a log, not a single value), and making it easy to understand and reason about

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

ate all the Oreos posted:

incredibly secure, i mean how can someone get both a picture of an ID and a different picture of the same person that's in the ID!?

Which is why they use further verification...

quote:

The process then involves further verification from the county clerk, staff from the Secretary of State’s office and staff assigned to the effort at Voatz.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Back when I taught distributed systems (spring 2008 or so), quorum-based algorithms were part of the curriculum. Like one lecture out of 30.

I'm glad the butters finally invented it so I didn't waste the students' (and, more importantly, my) time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I thought the thing with paxos was that everybody teaches it but nobody actually uses it unmodified.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

isn't paxos that video game convention

• Locked thread