Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

This one time, there was a fetch quest in a video game that took half an hour. If this still psychologically wounds you 15 years later, may I just say I’m jealous of your life.

You're assuming that it's the only thing that psychologically wounds me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Windwaker remake removes the rupee grind and gives you a sail that requires no wind and moves twice as fast as the regular boat. While theres absolutely no reason not to play this version since that eliminates the huge slog of Wind Waker, it does show off how little there is to the game when you can just go places freely and quickly and how bad the triforce quest is.

Good thing the final boss is the peak of the series by a wide margin.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I think I remember reading that one tp dungeon was straight up a repurposed cut ww dungeon

I don't think this is ever confirmed, but I always thought it likely that Fire Mountain, the place where you get the Power Bracelets in Wind Waker, was cut down from being a full dungeon and the original plans became the Goron Mines from Twilight Princess.

It's hard to tell if plans for dungeons got reused in Zelda, since they have pretty common tropes going on; you can't definitively say that X ice dungeon was originally planned for Y Zelda game, because they have so many ice dungeons with common traits anyway. But Fire Mountain has a number of obstacles in common with the Goron Mines, with the only definitely unique thing to the Mines being their incorporation of the Iron Boots you got earlier in the game; that might actually have been intended for Fire Mountain as well, since it opens right alongside Ice Ring Isle which holds the Iron Boots, so it might've at one point in its full dungeon form required them.

I'm a massive dork for these sorts of things, so I've done a lot of thinking on this. And there's three places in Wind Waker where a dungeon might've been cut, but only one of them which could've been reused later.
1. Greatfish Isle's awful suspicious both narratively and in terms of stuff left on disc regarding it; it seems like where a dungeon should be, so there probably was one there. We can surmise that it was probably a water dungeon or something Jabu Jabu-esque (because c'mon, 'Greatfish Isle'), and had the bombs in it since you get them during the endless storm that's there in place of a conventional dungeon. But none of the 3D Zeldas after Wind Waker have an 'inside a big living creature' dungeon, so that's out, and a Wind Waker water dungeon would've been unusable in other Zeldas because water's such a fundamentally different obstacle in Wind Waker.

2. Fire Mountain, as said before. There's evidence they intended more for Fire Mountain and Ice Ring Isle than they got in the final game, they were probably full dungeons before getting cut down to what they are now. I already put forward my case that these became the Goron Mines in Twilight Princess.

3. Ice Ring Isle, also likely a full dungeon cut down to a challenge run. Again, this one would've involved the Iron Boots and/or the Power Bracelets. I don't think this one was revived as a full dungeon later, though, because none of the later ice dungeons in the series, 3D or overhead, use anything like those two items, share very few mechanics, and aren't actually anything like Ice Ring aesthetically (every ice dungeon after Wind Waker is in an icy man-made construct, none of them are a natural structure like Ice Ring is).

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
Wind Waker was a good game but I feel like the backlash against the initial backlash against the art style over-corrected to the point where nobody wanted to say a single negative thing against it. Even before the game was released I remember people going ballistic on critics who gave the game less than a perfect score.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I don't think this is ever confirmed, but I always thought it likely that Fire Mountain, the place where you get the Power Bracelets in Wind Waker, was cut down from being a full dungeon and the original plans became the Goron Mines from Twilight Princess.

It's hard to tell if plans for dungeons got reused in Zelda, since they have pretty common tropes going on; you can't definitively say that X ice dungeon was originally planned for Y Zelda game, because they have so many ice dungeons with common traits anyway. But Fire Mountain has a number of obstacles in common with the Goron Mines, with the only definitely unique thing to the Mines being their incorporation of the Iron Boots you got earlier in the game; that might actually have been intended for Fire Mountain as well, since it opens right alongside Ice Ring Isle which holds the Iron Boots, so it might've at one point in its full dungeon form required them.

I'm a massive dork for these sorts of things, so I've done a lot of thinking on this. And there's three places in Wind Waker where a dungeon might've been cut, but only one of them which could've been reused later.
1. Greatfish Isle's awful suspicious both narratively and in terms of stuff left on disc regarding it; it seems like where a dungeon should be, so there probably was one there. We can surmise that it was probably a water dungeon or something Jabu Jabu-esque (because c'mon, 'Greatfish Isle'), and had the bombs in it since you get them during the endless storm that's there in place of a conventional dungeon. But none of the 3D Zeldas after Wind Waker have an 'inside a big living creature' dungeon, so that's out, and a Wind Waker water dungeon would've been unusable in other Zeldas because water's such a fundamentally different obstacle in Wind Waker.

2. Fire Mountain, as said before. There's evidence they intended more for Fire Mountain and Ice Ring Isle than they got in the final game, they were probably full dungeons before getting cut down to what they are now. I already put forward my case that these became the Goron Mines in Twilight Princess.

3. Ice Ring Isle, also likely a full dungeon cut down to a challenge run. Again, this one would've involved the Iron Boots and/or the Power Bracelets. I don't think this one was revived as a full dungeon later, though, because none of the later ice dungeons in the series, 3D or overhead, use anything like those two items, share very few mechanics, and aren't actually anything like Ice Ring aesthetically (every ice dungeon after Wind Waker is in an icy man-made construct, none of them are a natural structure like Ice Ring is).

WW already had a fire/lava themed dungeon though, why would they put two in?

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Push El Burrito posted:

In Detroit: Become Human, if you walk over something that's important to someone you'll do the thing where you stretch one leg over and then the other while making sure you don't bother what you're walking over.

Also you get to stare at Clancy Brown for hours and he yells "get over here you loving cocksucker" at some dude and proceeds to get into a fight with him. These are the two good things.

When you go to the sex club (because it's a David Cage game, of course there's a sex club), if you hang around in the entrance where the androids are and press L1 to stare at them through the glass for too long, Hank will yell "CONNOR! What the gently caress are you doing?!" :allears: Clancy Brown is the highlight of the game
I was making my watching gf laugh by staring at their dicks through the window and we both laughed so hard when Connor actually got called out for it

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I don't want to give David Cage money but I like robots. Even shittily done robots. I'll have to live vicariously through lps I guess.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

RoboRodent posted:

I don't want to give David Cage money but I like robots. Even shittily done robots. I'll have to live vicariously through lps I guess.

Good news in that watching an LP of a David Cage game is pretty much the same as playing it

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

When you go to the sex club (because it's a David Cage game, of course there's a sex club), if you hang around in the entrance where the androids are and press L1 to stare at them through the glass for too long, Hank will yell "CONNOR! What the gently caress are you doing?!" :allears: Clancy Brown is the highlight of the game
I was making my watching gf laugh by staring at their dicks through the window and we both laughed so hard when Connor actually got called out for it

Yeah I'm doing an rear end in a top hat run now and it's good. When you meet him at the bar you can just take his drink and turn it upside down. When he threatens you because of it you respond something like "you can harm me but I cost a small fortune and you would be liable."

I haven't played a David Cage game since Indigo Prophecy however long ago so I haven't had burnout or learned his weird quirks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slime posted:

WW already had a fire/lava themed dungeon though, why would they put two in?

I think you're forgetting Dodongo's Cavern and the Fire Temple in Ocarina of Time :ssh:.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah I'm doing an rear end in a top hat run now and it's good. When you meet him at the bar you can just take his drink and turn it upside down. When he threatens you because of it you respond something like "you can harm me but I cost a small fortune and you would be liable."

I haven't played a David Cage game since Indigo Prophecy however long ago so I haven't had burnout or learned his weird quirks.

The relationship between the two of them and the chemistry between the two actors is the best part of the whole game. I'd watch an entire buddy cop movie about them.
Something I thought was a funny little touch if you're doing the path where you're his friend: at the start, the other cops tease him for "having his own android now" and Hank tells them to gently caress off. When he's drunk later and you break into his house, he says "I must be the only cop to get assaulted in his own home by his own fuckin' android!", suddenly using possessive pronouns towards you :3:

Watching Connor start to develop feelings is pretty cool, and his actor sells it in a lot of the mo-cap. At the start of the game he's so stiff, even in the way he stands - the noticeable contrast point for me was when you get taken off the case. I picked the "frustrated" option and he's immediately really expressive. A cool tease towards you becoming a deviant.

It's definitely the best Cage game by far. The Cage-isms are still there, but they're reeled in a bit, as long as you can get past the heavy-handed political imagery lol. That's why the cop story is the best part, it's kinda detached from all the awkward civil rights stuff until later on

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Connor and Hank are the best part of Detroit full stop. I could not give a poo poo about lame Jesus or robo-mom. Connor is the last to get the chance to become a deviant so there's way better buildup to his climactic moments.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Erotic Wakes posted:

Even before the game was released I remember people going ballistic on critics who gave the game less than a perfect score.

I’m pretty sure this happens for every Legend of Zelda game.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Glukeose posted:

Connor and Hank are the best part of Detroit full stop. I could not give a poo poo about lame Jesus or robo-mom. Connor is the last to get the chance to become a deviant so there's way better buildup to his climactic moments.

Aw I didn't hate Kara as much as I thought I would. Markus was pretty loving boring though, definitely the weak link. I agree that if the whole game was Connor and Hank it would be way better, just replace everything else with fleshing out more cop stuff and it'd probably be a surprisingly decent game, if not just for their performances together.

e: every time Hank was on screen by the end of the game I kept thinking "are you feeling it now Mr Krabs"

TOO MANY GOBLINS has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Jun 5, 2018

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I started going into the optional content in God of War and I appreciate how the (optional boss spoiler) Valkyrie fights aren’t just a series of palette swaps like the trolls and Ancients. They each fight in totally different styles. I’ve faced one that spawned mooks, a grappler, a long range fighter, and one that used a lot of counters and feints. I can’t wait to see what the rest are like.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Those fights are super kickass. I really liked them all.

Especially the Valkyrie Queen, who mixed others' style into her own.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
Detroit: Become Human ends with a survey for players and displays the global results, so you can see incontrovertible real-time proof that the majority of the people who played the game to completion didn't like it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Erotic Wakes posted:

Detroit: Become Human ends with a survey for players and displays the global results, so you can see incontrovertible real-time proof that the majority of the people who played the game to completion didn't like it.

Resonated personally =/= liking a game.

I like Overwatch but none of it resonates with me on a personal level.

Doom didn't resonate but it's still a helluva fun game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

The difference is that doom and Overwatch don't wanna tell you a narrative story of racism and prejudice as filtered by the mains du jambon of a weird weird man, they're just a story about a man ripping and tearing and your waifus shooting each other so if beyond two robots human prophecy didn't resonate with you then the game sorta failed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm pretty sure most gamers took that as a "did you like this game", I'm sure a lot of people who answered that didn't know what the hell "resonated personally" meant.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think those results may be bugged. When I saw it a grand total of 0% of the people voted for Conner as their favorite with 92% for Marcus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Play all games at 12.5hz for maximum resonance.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Len posted:

If Rip And Tear doesn't resonate with you then I don't know what will.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

The difference is that doom and Overwatch don't wanna tell you a narrative story of racism and prejudice as filtered by the mains du jambon of a weird weird man, they're just a story about a man ripping and tearing and your waifus shooting each other so if beyond two robots human prophecy didn't resonate with you then the game sorta failed

Yeah, when a narrative-driven adventure game whose explicit raison d'etre is making its players think and feel fails to make over four-fifths of the people who were interested enough in the game to buy it at full price at launch and play through it to completion actually feel anything that's a completely different and much larger failing. It would be like if only 13% of the people who beat DOOM found the shooting fun.

I do think that soliciting this kind of feedback from players is a good idea even if the implementation in Detroit is pretty clunky. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag got a lot of ribbing for ending every level with a survey but then the next mainline game in the series they made was Assassin's Creed: Origin which was one of its best and more or less single-handedly pulled it the series out of the tailspin it had been in since 3.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Doom resonates with me in a deeply personal level. Then I snap out of it and wonder why I smell sulfer and sin in the air.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Erotic Wakes posted:

Yeah, when a narrative-driven adventure game whose explicit raison d'etre is making its players think and feel fails to make over four-fifths of the people who were interested enough in the game to buy it at full price at launch and play through it to completion actually feel anything that's a completely different and much larger failing. It would be like if only 13% of the people who beat DOOM found the shooting fun.

I do think that soliciting this kind of feedback from players is a good idea even if the implementation in Detroit is pretty clunky. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag got a lot of ribbing for ending every level with a survey but then the next mainline game in the series they made was Assassin's Creed: Origin which was one of its best and more or less single-handedly pulled it the series out of the tailspin it had been in since 3.

Weren't unity and syndicate mainline?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They are indeed.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I finished Nightmare mode in Curse of the Moon, and that final fight was amazing. It's pretty much a mix between Dawn of Sorrow's Evil Soma boss fight and Shovel Knight's final boss fight where you have your friends in the background that help you dodge, and hit the boss.

I'm now doing a sacrifice run, where you kill all your battle buddies, and the abilities you get from doing that change the feel of the game completely.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They are indeed.

And Syndicate was pretty great.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

scarycave posted:

So I finished Nightmare mode in Curse of the Moon, and that final fight was amazing. It's pretty much a mix between Dawn of Sorrow's Evil Soma boss fight and Shovel Knight's final boss fight where you have your friends in the background that help you dodge, and hit the boss.

I'm now doing a sacrifice run, where you kill all your battle buddies, and the abilities you get from doing that change the feel of the game completely.

The mode you get as reward for completing the sacrifice run is pretty cool. Also they don't tell you this but absorbing the final boss's soul unlocks a huge charge attack you can use in it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Ys 8. Game's much more stable now, though still not enough so I wouldn't suggest buying it at the moment (especially at full price).

However, from my time playing it, and then after playing some Ys 7, I've really come to appreciate the Flash Guard mechanic in 8. The way it works is you press a button, and for an instant you glow, and if an enemy hits you at that time you negate the attack and get skill energy and ultimate skill energy and cool stuff like that.

Now, the same button that controls the flash guard by default also combos with the symbol buttons, which works really well since you can immediately counter any attack that's about to hit you that way. Even cooler, if it's a continuous attack, then you can spam skills, which will also constantly activate flash guard again and again.

Now, what made me appreciate this even more, is that in Ys 7, by default you need to press two different buttons at the same time to flash guard. And I have no clue why. Though you can just set both buttons to be the same one, so that's an easy fix. However, I tried to again put the same button for flash guard as the combo button for skills, but in this game flash guard also stops you in place for a moment, and you can't move or attack, so you can't have as much fun with it.

So yeah, hoping NISA will finish fixing Ys 8 up soon, because when it's running fine it's a lot of fun, and now I can see how well it built up on the previous game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

^^ That sounds like an awesome mechanic. I love Ys

I was about to ask in some Bioware thread or something when KoTOR 2 gets good, since I've heard so much about it. A lot of it has aged pretty poorly, and I haven't been hooked.

But just now, I got a scene where Kreia probes Atton's mind and blackmails him in a pretty terrifying way. So yeah, even if the game hasn't seized on me yet, I love the dialogue and voice acting. The quests are good too in the Obsidian way that you feel vaguely bad about whatever choice you make, but either will lead to a meaningful conclusion.

I'm gonna keep with it, and after that last scene, I'm optimistic that the game is going to hit me with something that'll hook me soon.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not going to tell you to stop playing your game, but if you do get tired of it, there's a classic LP that covers the game and goes deep into a lot of it's cut content and less clear messages.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Oh thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I did put on some sort of cut content mod - though I have nothing to compare it to.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Wow. Just reading some of that LP, like Atris and [Exile Jesus] jawing at each other is entirely different than what my debate with her was like. I'm really impressed with the writing. Unless to gets way worse, I'm definitely sticking with it.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Jun 8, 2018

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It doesn't get worse, but if you're playing on PC it may be a good idea to install the unofficial patch. it has some extra bits and bobs that help make the game a bit more fleshed out, although some of what is added is VERY rough/unfinished. I enjoyed having the extra context

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

thecluckmeme posted:

It doesn't get worse, but if you're playing on PC it may be a good idea to install the unofficial patch. it has some extra bits and bobs that help make the game a bit more fleshed out, although some of what is added is VERY rough/unfinished. I enjoyed having the extra context

This. I wish my first playthrough was with the patch.

Anyway, today I went back to playing multiplayer Doom (2016) and I still feel like it's greatly under appreciated. Gameplay wise, it feels like a middle ground between Quake Arena and Halo 3, with some modern conventions and a bit of its own flavour. I think my absolute favourite thing however, is the game mode Warpath. The mode plays like a mixture of king of the hill and payload, wherein two teams fight for control of a single point that continuously moves along a predetermined path throughout the level. There is a waypoint on the capture point, as well as arrows along the route the point takes so you always know where the action is, and the result is this mobile mosh pit of carnage that takes you on a tour around the arena. Factor in elements like players transforming into demons and power weapons, and it adds up to these awesome feelings of focused chaos and relentless momentum.

I absolutely adore it and wish shooters started stealing this mode.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The new game Totally Accurate Battleground Simulator has a gangster mode (Which you just toggle by hitting G) where you hold your gun sideways and beatbox.

This works for any gun, including the bazooka and MG42.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm playing MGSV again at the moment, and it's got some nice stuff for if you're having trouble with the game.

If you die several times in quick succession, the game gives you the option to wear the Chicken Hat. The chicken hat automatically knocks out the first three guards that spot you, but prevents you from getting any higher than an A rank on a mission like most 'overpowered' items.

But if you somehow die while wearing the Chicken Hat (say, finding out the hard way that the Chicken Hat doesn't work on helicopter gunships) it gives you the option to put on the Lil' Chick Hat, which makes you totally undetectable by enemies, but forces a mission's score to 0 if you use it.

The real trick is that if you aren't in a mission, like either in free roam or doing Side Ops, there is literally no penalty to wearing the hats, which makes shopping for new recruits really silly. You can just walk up to them, scan their stats, CQC them and Fulton them, all while their buddies just stand there freaking out about how people are getting inexplicably knocked out :allears:

Oh, and there's a button to pet D-Dog :kimchi:

Icedude has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Cant remember if 1 or 2 had this, but every sword and a few of the daggers in Dark Souls 3 attach a unique scabbard to your character’s model when you equip them. Royal weapons have more fancy/embellished sheaths, the Irythyll ice rapier’s sheith has icicles forming off it, etc