Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Freezer's full. No time to work backstock. It was an hour before I even got to start on my department.

All my endcaps look like crap. The idiots that built them managed to build a bag of chicken into the display. It cannot be removed without disassembling the shelf.

The grocery manager informed me that he had a discussion with the ASM about the displays, and they both agreed they were terribly built. The worst they'd ever seen.

"So who's building them this week?"

"Same guys."

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Clocked in late again the other day. Was already on "final notice" because clocking in at 7:08 is terms for a write-up, but 7:07 is A-OK! I am always late to everything, all the time, and work is no exception and this is obviously why I am still working two jobs instead of living in a mansion because showing up late means I'm lazy and definitely don't work my rear end off for the good of a company that thinks I'm totally replaceable and gee, doesn't my department look GREAT now that I'm not working there full-time any more? (No, it has fallen apart already, lol).

Waiting to see if they fire me before my next shift or pretend they didn't see the late clock-in so I can work the rest of my scheduled shifts the next 3 weeks before they tell me to gtfo.

Tempted to assume I'm fired and just no-call/no-show the rest of the month for good measure.

Edit: Before we get on a derail about timeliness etc, I have chronic severe depression and probably some other brain poo poo, and I do not transition well, and I have never been able to leave the house at the same time every morning, let alone leave it early enough to get to work on days when I run into traffic or forget my keys or my pills or whatever else I should routinely grab on my way out the door and yet somehow miss at least once a week. Being late, for me, says very little about the level of respect I have for a person or job. It just says that I am functioning as usual. Which my managers know. But corporate must have its say in the matter, and corporate says Late is Late, No Excuses.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 5, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Leal posted:

Its June, I'm in California, its hot. Do they make Dickies in lighter materials? I've got some major swamp crotch going on at work, so far my solution has been to go into the fridge, unzip my pants and just wiggle my lower body to get the heat out of there. Its gonna be awkward when a coworker walks in on me doing that.

Av/post combo strong.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Faerunner posted:

Clocked in late again the other day. Was already on "final notice" because clocking in at 7:08 is terms for a write-up, but 7:07 is A-OK! I am always late to everything, all the time, and work is no exception and this is obviously why I am still working two jobs instead of living in a mansion because showing up late means I'm lazy and definitely don't work my rear end off for the good of a company that thinks I'm totally replaceable and gee, doesn't my department look GREAT now that I'm not working there full-time any more? (No, it has fallen apart already, lol).

Waiting to see if they fire me before my next shift or pretend they didn't see the late clock-in so I can work the rest of my scheduled shifts the next 3 weeks before they tell me to gtfo.

Tempted to assume I'm fired and just no-call/no-show the rest of the month for good measure.

Edit: Before we get on a derail about timeliness etc, I have chronic severe depression and probably some other brain poo poo, and I do not transition well, and I have never been able to leave the house at the same time every morning, let alone leave it early enough to get to work on days when I run into traffic or forget my keys or my pills or whatever else I should routinely grab on my way out the door and yet somehow miss at least once a week. Being late, for me, says very little about the level of respect I have for a person or job. It just says that I am functioning as usual. Which my managers know. But corporate must have its say in the matter, and corporate says Late is Late, No Excuses.

Sorry but as a manager it doesn't matter how hard you work, if the attendance policy isn't consistent it will be ignored. Maybe consider if any of the other retail employees might also be depressed? Do they use it as an excuse?

Fake Edit: ignore me always side against management

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Faerunner posted:

How financially strapped will you be with the one other job? Do you have kids to take care of? Maybe taking a break for a couple months might do some good. To me working two jobs is like working lovely split shifts for one job. I can't do it. I'd end up on brain pills doing that week in and week out.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Boss just came out today and told me that besides the car issue, the DM doesn't want me promoted because I don't recover during my shifts (which was sparked by the lady that's getting the full time key position not recovering when she was told to yesterday). I would love to recover, really would, and when I do recover the aisles are perfect.

But gently caress me I cannot get away from the register, if not the almost infinite less then $2 purchases, it's the senior citizen that swears up and down that every CC machine is different (Insert/swipe, Casback yes/no, accept the amount, pull out card. That's all of them, loving learn something ya old bat, or just read the loving screen.) If not that, it's the coupon queens taking up 30 minutes, or the people that forgot their money in their car (please trip into an endless pile of dicks on your way to it), or the burst in through the door and hammer the bell while I'm 5 feet from the register because they need their cigs, now! Or a return, because "we bought this yesterday, and we just didn't use it."

God forbid I make it to the section I'm trying to fix, because when I get there, everyone else needs to be there too (or at least pass through it for no goddammed reason), or someone can't find something because their eyes don't fuction (yet still drive), or someone needs in our locked bathroom. Then there's my new favorite, you get pulled away from the section, go help some, get back to the section, and someone has shown up to refuck it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SaberToothedPie posted:

Sorry but as a manager it doesn't matter how hard you work, if the attendance policy isn't consistent it will be ignored. Maybe consider if any of the other retail employees might also be depressed? Do they use it as an excuse?

Fake Edit: ignore me always side against management

You're a poo poo manager if you put attendance before actual output. If you have choice of a guy who can do an hours work in 30 minutes, but shows up 2 minutes late versus a guy who does 30 minutes of work in and hour but always shows up on time, you are mathematically hard loving yourself over.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Attendance is one of the only easy things for a manager to track. So if they're a lazy manager they prioritize it over things that are harder to put a metric on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Anora posted:

You're a poo poo manager if you put attendance before actual output. If you have choice of a guy who can do an hours work in 30 minutes, but shows up 2 minutes late versus a guy who does 30 minutes of work in and hour but always shows up on time, you are mathematically hard loving yourself over.

This is quite true but as I said on the last page, if you let attendance slide just a teensy bit then your whole staff will regard it as optional and then you have a problem.

In isolated cases you CAN get away with telling the rest of the staff “Faerunner outworks all of you twice over, so if you want late privileges you have to get poo poo done on the level Faerunner does. Otherwise, show up on time when scheduled or GTFO.” But in the real world where you have some clueless fucker from Corporate on your back 24/7, good luck pulling that off.

As we all know, retail work isn’t like office work because of the loving customers, and being adequately staffed right from Minute One of each shift is pretty important. But note also that the mythical Good Manager would enforce timeliness but would also fire the numerous assholes you work with who don’t do jackshit and would actually back you up in disputes with rear end in a top hat customers. It cuts both ways.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is quite true but as I said on the last page, if you let attendance slide just a teensy bit then your whole staff will regard it as optional and then you have a problem.

Yeah, one thing you need to learn when you move to even the lowest legs of management is that your employees are watching everything you do, and probably know when you come and go better than you do.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
Nothing's more fun than trying to figure out how you're going to relocate to another, more expensive state when the only experience you have is retail and the place you work at notoriously churns out incredibly lovely employees to the point where other locations put a soft ban on our store number "doesn't do transfers anymore." :smithicide:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leal posted:

Its June, I'm in California, its hot. Do they make Dickies in lighter materials? I've got some major swamp crotch going on at work, so far my solution has been to go into the fridge, unzip my pants and just wiggle my lower body to get the heat out of there. Its gonna be awkward when a coworker walks in on me doing that.
Make sure that while you're doing this, you play "Turn Down for What". It'll either make some kind of sense to the unfortunate coworker or be so funny they won't tattle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

dovetaile posted:

Do you need Dickies specifically or will any khaki-colored fabric do? I scoured thrift stores until i found a thin pair of pants.

I'm just hoping to avoid my boss trying to be arbitrary over the details of my pants, the guy can be a dick sometimes.

Discendo Vox posted:

Av/post combo strong.

Yeah basically my AV is how I wiggle my body to get the heat out of my crotch

Yawgmoth posted:

Make sure that while you're doing this, you play "Turn Down for What". It'll either make some kind of sense to the unfortunate coworker or be so funny they won't tattle.

Hmm... bumping my dick against a box of iced cilantro would probably help a lot with the heat issues.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
For you guys:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
OK, so now when we have fuel stolen that's deemed our fault (either activated the pump for a car with no plates or served the customer but didn't ring the fuel up) we now have to:

-call the regional manager and explain to them personally what happened
-write down a detailed report about everything that happened for our store manager
-write down the exact time to the minute we made the phone call to regional manager
-store manager has to check security footage to make sure we actually made the call
-store manager has to call the regional manager to discuss the incident.
-store manager has to have a meeting with us about it

I'm sure this is a really productive use of everyone's time.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zenithe posted:

OK, so now when we have fuel stolen that's deemed our fault (either activated the pump for a car with no plates or served the customer but didn't ring the fuel up) we now have to:

-call the regional manager and explain to them personally what happened
-write down a detailed report about everything that happened for our store manager
-write down the exact time to the minute we made the phone call to regional manager
-store manager has to check security footage to make sure we actually made the call
-store manager has to call the regional manager to discuss the incident.
-store manager has to have a meeting with us about it

I'm sure this is a really productive use of everyone's time.

I want to know his much a tank of gas costs there vs how many man hours you just described because that sounds hilarious. Are there controls in place too make sure it is hard to steal gas?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I wish I still had my printer cause I would print multiple copies and tape it all over the break room.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

therobit posted:

I want to know his much a tank of gas costs there vs how many man hours you just described because that sounds hilarious. Are there controls in place too make sure it is hard to steal gas?

A stupid SUV with a 25 gallon tank could easily suck down a c-note with gas prices what they are.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Bobfromsales posted:

Yeah, one thing you need to learn when you move to even the lowest legs of management is that your employees are watching everything you do, and probably know when you come and go better than you do.

I would know when mine come and go if they didn't sit in the back half the day "doing paperwork" and sneak out as soon as they can without getting their own asses roasted for it.

Corporate retail policy regarding attendance SUCKS though. Like, yes, you want people to show up on time, but a customer has never died from not getting help when someone was 5 (or even 10) minutes late. There's also no matching policy regarding leaving early; I could theoretically clock in perfectly on the hour every time and leave half an hour early every day (people have) and corporate would ever know. Smoke breaks? Take two but also go out with every friend you have on THEIR smoke breaks, we aren't counting unless someone complains! Oh, and it's really easy just to wander off somewhere outside your department and as long as you look even a little bit like you're on a mission no one bothers you so you could spend an entire shift more or less avoiding work! Crazy, that. Showing up on time is like, the worst indicator of productivity EVER!

And that's ignoring the stupidity of having to legislate attendance at all. If you have to extrinsically motivate your employees to show up on time beyond the paycheck you're providing, you're basically admitting that the job isn't worth showing up to. Not saying I expect everyone to leak sunshine and rainbows out all their orifices at the thought of employment, but work should not feel like a punishment for being alive.

...maybe I should just quit.

(Also re: SaberToothedPie at least two or three others that I am personally aware of are depressed like me and they most definitely do "use it as an excuse" and are also on final notice despite being good workers because depression and anxiety are a loving good reason why you don't enjoy getting off the couch, navigating traffic (while thinking lovely intrusive thoughts about plowing off bridges) and spending 8 hours in a place that would willingly chain a cashier to their register if it were legal to do so, gently caress off with that "management needs to maintain order" talk, we're all here to bitch and while I understand that management should be consistent with policies from corporate I'm specifically railing against that one stupid policy from corporate in a thread where all of us do the same thing, lol lurk moar noob)

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 6, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

therobit posted:

Zenith is in Brisbane; which has the highest petrol prices of any major Australian City; and petrol prices are currently at an all time high. Standard unleaded hovers between $1.50-$1.65 a litre at the moment . Premium 95 octane is typically about 10-12c higher; and premium. 98 is maybe another 10c above that.

A US gallon is 3.785 litres so an equivalent price in US terms would be about $6 a gallon.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'd like to think that $6 a gallon would lead to people taking public transportation here, but let's get real... all those people who threatened to stop driving when gas hit $1 a gallon (and then $2, and now $3) are still on the road.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Faerunner posted:

I'd like to think that $6 a gallon would lead to people taking public transportation here, but let's get real... all those people who threatened to stop driving when gas hit $1 a gallon (and then $2, and now $3) are still on the road.

That's partly because there's no real options for public transit in most places of America :ssh:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Faerunner posted:

I didn’t account for exchange rates; so it’s more like $4.60 in USD. Australian fuel is quite a bit more expensive than the US but in reality we aren’t that bad compared to say Europe or the UK.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tweaked my knee stepping down out of a case today. Just came down onto my foot and my knee went, "Yeah, gently caress you."

But I'm still in high spirits because someone actually filled milk at some point today, so I only had to touch it up. I got to work my backstock and left on time and everything. It's a loving miracle.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My related sales are somehow near 60%, my cash ticket average is way up and in 5 hours I had over $900 in sales. (We were open 14 1/2 hours and had $3700 in sales today. So yeah, it was a good day for selling poo poo.) Today was the last day of work before I start a week of my store manager on vacation and me in charge. Too much poo poo is going right, the stores going to catch fire or some poo poo, just watch. :cry:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I try not to be a huge dick about people showing up exaclty on time, but if it's a chronic issue it's going to be a problem. Usually there are only a couple of us working and if the afternoon or evening guy shows up 15min late that means someone else has to stay to cover. Show up a little late in the morning, whatever. Frequently show up late in the evening and nobody will have much sympathy for why you just can't seem to ever make it in on time.

It's nothing to do with the job being worth showing up to, if that were the case you probably just wouldn't bother, it's about respecting your coworkers.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

So I've got these endcap freezers, and we use them for nothing but HOT SALES. Every week, we put new poo poo in them for whatever promotion is coming up. It's a pain in the rear end, but what can you do. That's the job. Normally, a manager does this. Normally, it isn't a problem.

Last two weeks, someone else has been doing it.

When people empty them out, they're supposed to take all the stuff that's coming off sale, put whatever will go onto the shelves, and the excess in back stock. That is. The plan.

Last week, I had a LOT of stuff. Like way more than usual, but I couldn't be sure that the people responsible were being lazy, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I had a whole HOUR to work my backstock last week. I spent it working last week's sales to the shelves.

Yay.

Today's new sale day, and, guess what? They hosed it up. They hosed it up so obviously that there's no mistaking they hosed it up, and in loving it up, they made more work for themselves than if they'd just done it correctly to begin with. Instead of taking the items and working them to the shelf three feet away, they went and found boxes, boxed them up, and threw them into my freezer.

Another day where I got nothing done except undoing yesterday's mistakes.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Inspector 34 posted:

I try not to be a huge dick about people showing up exaclty on time, but if it's a chronic issue it's going to be a problem. Usually there are only a couple of us working and if the afternoon or evening guy shows up 15min late that means someone else has to stay to cover. Show up a little late in the morning, whatever. Frequently show up late in the evening and nobody will have much sympathy for why you just can't seem to ever make it in on time.

It's nothing to do with the job being worth showing up to, if that were the case you probably just wouldn't bother, it's about respecting your coworkers.

My biggest pet peeve right now is one of my coworkers will show up barely on time or late and wanting us to ring up her drink first thing (after punching in). Being retail pharmacy and a busy store, this is what the front store is for. It matters you're where you're supposed to be because we change stations throughout the day, and most likely in the early afternoon, when you come in someone's going to their lunch. It is disrespectful of other people's time. When you live 5 minutes away, figure it out. Bring something from home.

Tonight it was saying she was going to the bathroom, then going to the front after to purchase a drink and a snack with 3 minutes before my end of shift. She wasn't back by my end time, but I didn't make that my problem. She was still at the front checking out and chatting as I walked out.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

kdc67 posted:

My biggest pet peeve right now is one of my coworkers will show up barely on time or late and wanting us to ring up her drink first thing (after punching in). Being retail pharmacy and a busy store, this is what the front store is for. It matters you're where you're supposed to be because we change stations throughout the day, and most likely in the early afternoon, when you come in someone's going to their lunch. It is disrespectful of other people's time. When you live 5 minutes away, figure it out. Bring something from home.

Tonight it was saying she was going to the bathroom, then going to the front after to purchase a drink and a snack with 3 minutes before my end of shift. She wasn't back by my end time, but I didn't make that my problem. She was still at the front checking out and chatting as I walked out.

Does she also work in the front store?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
We can work the front store, but no.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah seriously being a minute late here or there, fine. But when it's a pattern? gently caress you and your poo poo time management. A coworker of mine always clocks in a minute before he'd be late. I make it a habit to get to work early, like 10 minutes before my shift starts, just in case I ever am late, everyone will realize I'm not being a total idiot, but something must have happened to make me lose that grace period.

There's another girl who clocks in and then goes to the restroom. And she'll stay there for 20-30 minutes. She takes a bathroom break every two hours that are at least 10 minutes, and when management insisted all phones remained in the breakroom, the breaks stopped being as long.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's easy to say "you have poo poo time management" and not technically inaccurate, but it really isn't that simple.

There are a fair number of people in the world who, for reasons I don't understand and I don't think modern psychology or biology does either, have an extremely deep-rooted need to be late. They don't want to be late. In fact they hate being late, hate everyone else just sighing and rolling their eyes at their poo poo time management, they hate having been told, over and over and over and over since childhood, that it's not hard to be on time for things and you just need to stop being sloppy and inattentive. They HATE all of this and really, truly WANT to be punctual.

But they can't.

They try, they really do. They set their alarms early. They aim to be ready to leave the house at 7:30 if they actually need to leave the house at 8:00. They set everything up in advance so there's almost nothing needing done before they walk out the door. In short, they do everything hyper-punctual people do. And yet they just... can't.. help it. Somehow, almost every time, they wind up being late anyway. It's like, when the time comes, their primal brain overrides and shuts down their logical brain and forces them to lose focus and dick around until such time as they are late.

My sister was like this, most notably, but I've known several people closely enough to know this is what they are like. It's not inattentiveness, selfishness, laziness, it really isn't. It's like a weird form of OCD where their subconscious just cannot accept being on time and will short circuit their every effort at it. My best guess would be that like 5% of the population is like this, and also that 5% of the population is on the extreme opposite end of obsessive punctuality.

If you have to be there by 2:30, there are people who think "if I show up at 2:31 then I am LATE" and there are people who think "ehh, if I'm there by 2:40 that's on time." I personally am firmly in the former category and regard people in the latter category as assholes. But that's not at all what I'm talking about here. It's not a lackadaisical attitude toward time, it's a neurosis.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 7, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Just lol if you expect people to give a poo poo about being perfectly on time when their job doesn't even pay a living wage. You can't pay people a pittance and treat them like children then expect them to act like professionals.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
who gives a gently caress if someone is 10 minutes late for a job where that ten minutes isnt even multiple dollars? its only ten minutes, and if it really grates someones balls, then they can just stay an extra ten minutes or throw a dollar bill at the manager. :shrug:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Eric the Mauve posted:

They HATE all of this and really, truly WANT to be punctual.
No they don't. What they want is for people to just let them show up whenever and do whatever they want without reprisal of any sort. Because it's not "some chunk of my subconscious is sabotaging me! :qq:" it's "if I'm late then I demonstrate how I am actually in control of this relationship because ha-hah! I made you wait for me! For the briefest of moments I was the one with power!" and facing the (entirely expected) consequences of their actions slaps them back into the reality of not actually having that power/control. At best it's a bad habit with an assortment of excuses, at worst it's just another strain of vaguely narcissistic neurosis that leads Susan From AR to bellow for a manager every time she passes within ten feet of a cash register.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Yawgmoth posted:

No they don't. What they want is for people to just let them show up whenever and do whatever they want without reprisal of any sort. Because it's not "some chunk of my subconscious is sabotaging me! :qq:" it's "if I'm late then I demonstrate how I am actually in control of this relationship because ha-hah! I made you wait for me! For the briefest of moments I was the one with power!" and facing the (entirely expected) consequences of their actions slaps them back into the reality of not actually having that power/control. At best it's a bad habit with an assortment of excuses, at worst it's just another strain of vaguely narcissistic neurosis that leads Susan From AR to bellow for a manager every time she passes within ten feet of a cash register.

Alternatively, human beings have an entire multidimensional continuum of responses and actions they take due to your brain being the one in control. Is it really that hard to accept that perhaps people who have an easier time in certain things (whether it be punctuality, academics, weight, whatever) are not that way because they are better people but rather because their brain chemistry made things easier?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just lol if you expect people to give a poo poo about being perfectly on time when their job doesn't even pay a living wage. You can't pay people a pittance and treat them like children then expect them to act like professionals.

"Just lol if you expect to get a job earning real money when you can't even bring yourself in to work on time. You can't expect to get ahead in life when you behave childishly and irresponsibly."

Like, you leave work at 5 PM and know you have to be at work tomorrow at 9AM. You have literally 16 hours to anticipate getting back there in a timely fashion. Emergencies happen, life comes up, but I'm unwilling to accept being late as a mental illness (certainly it's a symptom of other mental illnesses, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to "chronic lateness syndrome" and just go along with it).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Alternatively, human beings have an entire multidimensional continuum of responses and actions they take due to your brain being the one in control. Is it really that hard to accept that perhaps people who have an easier time in certain things (whether it be punctuality, academics, weight, whatever) are not that way because they are better people but rather because their brain chemistry made things easier?

Doesn't this kind of nihilistic "my neurochemistry made me do it" reductio remove agency from human actions entirely?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

who gives a gently caress if someone is 10 minutes late for a job where that ten minutes isnt even multiple dollars? its only ten minutes, and if it really grates someones balls, then they can just stay an extra ten minutes or throw a dollar bill at the manager. :shrug:

Glad you're ok with staying ten minutes late every single time your coworkers decide your time isn't as important as theirs. I mean I get that some people are happy to clock as many hours as possible, but some people have appointments to keep or just other poo poo to do in their lives and staying ten minutes late just because Becky can't be bothered (or has an issue like Eric the Mauve was talking about) to make it on time is just straight up annoying.

I think you're talking more about managers getting riled up about people being late, which sucks too, but in some situations it's also just a lovely thing to do to your coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Leal posted:

A little late, but Dickies does make regular dress pants. They don't have the magic treatment that the real work pants do, but they're a lot lighter. I bought a pair by mistake once and wore them regularly until I managed to cover the lap with an oil stain.