Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

team of two and only one of us pulls his weight and it's becoming increasingly inconsistent as management gets more and more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm at a small MSP so I don't know whether to count the whole office or just my official "team". My official team is nothing more than a title as most people sit in silos all day anyways.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

Just as a random straw poll, how many people here work in what they'd consider to be a team, and believe that over 50% of their colleagues pull their weight?

Team of 5. 3 pull their weight and out of those one of their kids has cancer and he’s still better than the other two even though he’s out so often.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Just as a random straw poll, how many people here work in what they'd consider to be a team, and believe that over 50% of their colleagues pull their weight?

Last client it was just me doing any work on a team. This client is pretty much everyone doing their jobs, and that has been the norm for teams in that company.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
On my team of 5, three of us know what’s up, one is only a jr admin and actively looking, and the last one is struggling a bit but tries hard.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Our 3 new people kick rear end and are hungry. The most senior guy pulls his weight but ends up getting bogged down a lot. One guy doesn’t really pull his weight.

And I could be doing a whole lot better.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

Shoot, I am so lazy at this point that my biggest fear is that you ask my coworkers this question.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My bastard rats just broke an 80 quid keyboard by pulling off two keys, breaking one and losing the other. Goddamnit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Team of nine, not counting three managers. If anything, I worry that I don't pull my weight.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Things that don't piss me off: I got a bonus from my bosses boss for working so hard on the email migration we just did. It's basically an extra weeks pay on top of the 40+ hours of OT I pulled.

Out of the 3 helpdesk people at my job, I feel like there are only two of us doing any real work, and the third dude just keeps vanishing... but he's also friends with the CFO's son, so we can't fire the dude to hire someone competent.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bob Morales posted:

HR has requested we no longer call the cell phone extender 'the cancer box'

Attention staff: HR has asked that we no longer discuss the risk of radiation exposure in or around these areas and devices. Please pretend everything is ok

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jaded Burnout posted:

My bastard rats just broke an 80 quid keyboard by pulling off two keys, breaking one and losing the other. Goddamnit.

Rats gonna rat.

Mine just peed on a keyboard, thanks for that vermin. Now I need to alcohol qtip the poo poo out of its innards.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Rats gonna rat.

Mine just peed on a keyboard, thanks for that vermin. Now I need to alcohol qtip the poo poo out of its innards.

One of mine pisses on the mouse constantly, someone mentioned that they like to mark smooth stones so maybe that's why.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Team of 4, 100% pull weight, though one member is newer and is in a different weight class as we get her up to speed.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Team of 6 but 2 of us have just a month in and are still learning. The other 4 pull more than their weight. I feel like an rear end in a top hat because they are working 10-11 hours days and I do my shift and go home.

We are hourly and I just don’t know enough to justify working overtime currently. I’m sure I could get away with it but I just wouldn’t feel good about it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I'm the very new guy in a job that's a huge career leap for me, so I doubt I'll be pulling my weight any time soon. The other 4 guys on the team seem to all pull their weight but maybe I just haven't realized if anyone is slacking yet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Team of 8. Anyone around is willing to drop what they're doing and help you.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Nvm.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 6, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Team of 5, everybody is 100% all the time. Or work simply gets done. As the newest guy I'm trying my hardest to get up to speed so I can catch up and start excelling past them so I don't get stuck doing bitch work.

Even outside of our team the department is extremely productive. And beyond that the infrastructure group as a whole is consistently on point. I haven't found a slacker at this company yet.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
One man band, get stuff done before the deadline so I can shitpost more often.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Team of 2. I am the newest one here but i feel like we both pull our weights 100%.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

100% of my team pulls their weight, along with some of the weight of most of the other teams and even departments. Of course everyone has their off-days, especially depending on what's going on in their lives, and everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. But the work ethic is one of the things I like most about the people I work directly with. One guy actually needs to work less and spend more time with his family.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Team of 2. We're both pulling about 200% of our weight, because holy gently caress are we understaffed.
24/7 on call can eat my rear end. Thankfully it sounds like I may have a job offer coming my way.

I love to get poo poo done, but I really wish there was some downtime so I could play with more scripting poo poo/automation stuff, etc.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Hows this for lovely?

Had training today. And something I did was used as a example of what not to do. In training rolled out to hundreds of people over several countries.
The thing is, I'd done exactly what was requested of me and can prove it. Its in the notes.

While everyone was having a good laugh at something I'd written very carefully to a client, now part of training material and being projected on a wall. *They blacked out the names
I got kinda pissy and said, how about some context, thats mine, this is why I did it, and x person asked for it.
Silence.

I could have stayed quiet and said nothing, I'm kinda stupid in some ways, but I was just so pissed. If its bad enough it be in training material, possibly loving talk to the person?
The other option would be to read the literal previous note which covered why I'd approached it that way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
:gonk: The website is down! NO orders are going through!

:goofy: What are you basing this off of?

:gonk: Google analytics!

Just the amount of panic has caused from the nothing burger he produced makes me want to punt him from the 4th floor window.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So they see a dip in visitors or a change in the orders coming in and just assume the site has blown up?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

So they see a dip in visitors or a change in the orders coming in and just assume the site has blown up?

Apparently google analytics has some metrics to guess if people are completing orders. He went with that guesswork instead of actually checking the internal systems that logs transactions.

No dips in visitors of any kind.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This page has been producing some great out-of-context lines:

"The cancer box"
"The nothing burger"
"My rat peed on my mouse"

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Rats gonna rat.

...You're talking about cleaning the keyboard, right? :ohdear:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Not really pissing me off, but making me shake my head.

I got a ping from my customer via a contact that I'd never met before. Dude is huffy because "his website is down". A long chat ensues during which we verify that his EC2 instance, all one of them, is healthy and taking traffic, security groups are accepting 80 and 443, but one of his sites is pointing to the site index instead of index.html but only when viewed from cell phones in his office.

I won't bore you with the long version, but it turns out that he was receiving 403 errors to a site, so he decided to turn on IPv6 (because that'll fix it!), adding a layer of complexity and management to a service he barely understands. Turns out IPv6 wasn't enabled on his home network Wifi so cell phones grabbing his internet access didn't have IPv6 access to the site. This plus a badly configured vhost.conf and apache2.conf were bolluxing everything up.

The best part of our little dance together was when he busted out "I am using your nic devices and someone should make them work as advertised." and "My site is exposed to hackers. If you don't give me your boss I will report you to BBB.org and your complaint department."

It took everything I had to not say, "the Better Business Bureau probably runs on AWS and they understand how the shared responsibility model works, sir."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is people who don't know what they're doing treating AWS like a bargain webhost something that happens increasingly often?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
People who think the BBB is an actual real regulatory agency and not an opt-in scam are hilarious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah everyone knows it's yelp reviews that get poo poo done these days.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Instagram influencers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sending a SWAT team to YouTube's offices when your videos get demonetized.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wikipedia editors

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is people who don't know what they're doing treating AWS like a bargain webhost something that happens increasingly often?

Since I deal only with enterprise customers I can’t say what the general Aws population does, but this event was surprising because of its irregularity.

“Sir, you do know that your million+ dollar a month company does have a six-person cloud team with whom I interact on a daily basis? Maybe you should seek help and get your expectations level-set from them.”

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Oh, thanks for sending that ticket update on that $5000 laser scanner I returned for rebuild. Oh hang on I have to log into your website to view said ticket? Oh wait hangon, this isnt your site, it's a copy/paste from the ticket ya'll submitted to the other company actually doing the rebuild? I wonder what their rebuild quote would be as opposed to yours

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agrikk posted:

Since I deal only with enterprise customers I can’t say what the general Aws population does, but this event was surprising because of its irregularity.

“Sir, you do know that your million+ dollar a month company does have a six-person cloud team with whom I interact on a daily basis? Maybe you should seek help and get your expectations level-set from them.”

Sometimes a person might not know that they have an internal cloud team, or when they find out it turns out the cloud team is two verticals away and only intersects with your management in the C-suite and therefore you need C-level permission to get any of their time and none of your managers want to bring up the issue, leaving you to figure out AWS all by yourself as there is no common chat program you could use to find the team members and ask them directly. Ask me how I know.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Anyone else having fun with Comcast Business Telephone apparent nationwide outage? Been at least 2 hours for some of our locations now. New England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

dogstile posted:

One man band, get stuff done before the deadline so I can shitpost more often.

I'm "Team I Am The rear end in a top hat" myself, for roughly the same reason. (Also, no one ever seems to consider that poo poo takes time to do, so maybe not dropping it on me with a 24-hour deadline for once? Clear decks for inbound dumpage, whenever possible...)

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 6, 2018