Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's "hastily scrawled", so maybe the PC wrote it before the Old Blood-related memory loss set in?

How did the PC get to Yharnam in the first place? It's all closed off and locked tight, and Yharnamites don't care much for outsiders.

It’a closed up because tonight is the Hunt and they don’t want the beasts, or anyone else, escaping. It’d Be bad for tourism see.

The miracle blood stuff is spread further than the werewolf apocalypse and the casual xenophobia apparently. So people like yourself, Gilbert, Father Gascoigne come on o Yharnam for their miracle and find out too late that you probably can’t leave and everything is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sure, but I think these are all edge cases. Gilbert can't leave because he's crippled with Beast plague, Gascoigne got married, and we're roped into this Paleblood business and would just be teleported back to the Hunter's Dream if we tried.

I'm sure there are other people who have come here and left. Otherwise, where did the stories come from?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well Yharnam and blood ministrations had to have existed for a while before any plague of beasts began, and when it did they were quashed so effectively that it didnt spill out of of the borders, and thanks to massive xenophobia and the probable cover ups by the church, college and hunters it wasnt going to be talked about to outsiders anyways.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm sure there are other people who have come here and left. Otherwise, where did the stories come from?

People DO come and go: some cut content mentions that Yharnam actually sells blood outside the city itself, but particularly bad cases (the protagonists hometown was wiped out by a plague) have to go to Yharnam itself for the best stuff.

Once there, people are bound by three things:

1. Blood is super addicting: it's mentioned to be more intoxicating than alcohol, but the fact that people are still drinking(?) the stuff with full knowledge that they might turn into beasts is super telling. It's pretty much crack on steroids, and once you've had a taste, it might be close to impossible to stop.

2. Further treatment: Gilbert mentioned that the blood bought him time, but the fact that he stayed in the city after being treated means that most people probably need regular treatments for chronic illnesses. This probably isn't true for the player, since plague isn't chronic by itself, but most sick people are stuck.

3. The contract: Yharnam has exclusive control over what's probably the single most important substance on the planet, so no country anywhere near it is going to risk sheltering someone who broke that contract.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Did the PC write the note about seeking Paleblood to transcend the Hunt?

The likely answer relates to some...questionably canon content, supported by one ending: the Great One driving the hunt can influence, perhaps even outright control, the Hunters bound to it. In all likelihood, the player wrote the letter while under the direct influence of the Great One.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
There is also some knowledge of beasts outside the city of Yharnam. The setting seems to be somewhat... Off in general, not just Yharnam proper.

Also, something to consider. Remember how it was pointed out that the moon at Byrgenweth is somehow hovering in front of the clouds? Consider: Cainhurst, which is clearly having its own fuckery going on, doesn't have the moon anywhere so close, and the sky in general isn't the same.

And it's actually outside of Yharnam.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another fun thing to think about: In the Forbidden Woods, the moon is directly overhead, I made sure to look at it in episode 11 to reinforce this. When you reach Byrgenwerth, which is just down the lane, it's eerily looming over the horizon. Spooky!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jetrauben posted:

There is also some knowledge of beasts outside the city of Yharnam. The setting seems to be somewhat... Off in general, not just Yharnam proper.

Also, something to consider. Remember how it was pointed out that the moon at Byrgenweth is somehow hovering in front of the clouds? Consider: Cainhurst, which is clearly having its own fuckery going on, doesn't have the moon anywhere so close, and the sky in general isn't the same.

And it's actually outside of Yharnam.

Cainhurst also has heaps of snow on the ground and everything's frozen. It's never really explained, infuriatingly, if you time-travel to get to Cainhurst, or if the castle is a frozen snapshot in the Dreamlands like the Hunter's Dream and the Lecture Hall.

thetruegentleman posted:

The likely answer relates to some...questionably canon content, supported by one ending: the Great One driving the hunt can influence, perhaps even outright control, the Hunters bound to it. In all likelihood, the player wrote the letter while under the direct influence of the Great One.

That's my take on it too, especially since the note is scrawled, like the writer was in a hurry. Maybe they needed to write it down before they forgot. You're talking about Formless Oedon, right?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Cainhurst also has heaps of snow on the ground and everything's frozen. It's never really explained, infuriatingly, if you time-travel to get to Cainhurst, or if the castle is a frozen snapshot in the Dreamlands like the Hunter's Dream and the Lecture Hall.

That's my take on it too, especially since the note is scrawled, like the writer was in a hurry. Maybe they needed to write it down before they forgot. You're talking about Formless Oedon, right?

Well, autumn or early winter DOES seem to be coming in at the time of the game. There are parts of Yharnam where it looks like either snowflakes or ashes are drifting down and the heat of the city would probably melt any snow.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

To cut the discussion in a different direction, CJ commented on the big hanging sphere thing used as a chandelier, mentioning that it reminds him of those models of the planets. He also walked past a smaller one upstairs.

The planetary model we generally us is an Orrery. Interlocking systems of gears help trace the relative positions of various celestial bodies on a plane. Since our solar system is basically on a flat plane (more or less) it's easy enough to make a model that looks something like this.

The more spherical version seen in Bloodborne is modeled after a much older version, spawned from when science was looking for more geocentric explanations of the motions of the cosmos. When you're looking for the motions of bodies in the heavens through a sphere, you have more complex mechanics and have to make something called an Armillary Sphere. Armillary spheres can have the earth in the center, or the sun, and are either Copernican or Ptolemaic depending. Large hoops show things like the tropics and the equator on the geocentric models.

If you're looking for Great Ones in the heavens, it certainly makes sense that you would want to make models of observed motion in the heavens, to perhaps detect or track what you find.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like to think that the giant ancillary sphere is also a series callback to the Duke's Archives (Seath's Astrolabe Emporium) in DS1.

Hey CJakes, I'm rewatching your Max Payne 3 LP, and I want you to know that your mic was so bad back then.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In the game proper, it's unclear exactly which Great One our blood came from, so it's something of a mystery as to which Great Ones might actually be driving the player. Even so, the Moon Presence is the only one that's shown to have explicit control over hunters, though it seems reasonable to infer that any Great One can do the same, at least with a blood connection.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

edit: Apparently, according to the JP version of the game, the note claims to have been hastily scribbled by you. But that doesn't make any sense so I'm not sure why it would say that. I can't find an actual screenshot of this, only hearsay from folks online, so it may not be true? No reason to doubt it but still, proof would've been nice.

Can confirm; 自筆 is 'your own handwriting'

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I would perhaps argue it’s the opposite, Cainhurst is the part of Yharnam furthest from the Dreamlands and so is still “normal” moon and weather wise. As another thought I am of the opinion that the nobility and royalty of Caihnurst used to rule Yharnam before the rise of the healing Church. With Old Yharnam running through the valley into Hemwick Charnel Lane and then onto the Castle Proper.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats all-but-confirmed really, the ruling yharnam part

i dont think the cainhurst we visit is anywhere near normal physical reality anymore tho

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nighthand posted:

To cut the discussion in a different direction, CJ commented on the big hanging sphere thing used as a chandelier, mentioning that it reminds him of those models of the planets. He also walked past a smaller one upstairs.

The planetary model we generally us is an Orrery. Interlocking systems of gears help trace the relative positions of various celestial bodies on a plane. Since our solar system is basically on a flat plane (more or less) it's easy enough to make a model that looks something like this.

The more spherical version seen in Bloodborne is modeled after a much older version, spawned from when science was looking for more geocentric explanations of the motions of the cosmos. When you're looking for the motions of bodies in the heavens through a sphere, you have more complex mechanics and have to make something called an Armillary Sphere. Armillary spheres can have the earth in the center, or the sun, and are either Copernican or Ptolemaic depending. Large hoops show things like the tropics and the equator on the geocentric models.

If you're looking for Great Ones in the heavens, it certainly makes sense that you would want to make models of observed motion in the heavens, to perhaps detect or track what you find.

drat, this is really cool information!

Polsy posted:

Can confirm; 自筆 is 'your own handwriting'

drat, thanks for the documentation! It really just makes no sense to me though because we are in our hunter's POV for the entire intro- there is no time for them to write the note unless they somehow got up after passing out, wrote the note, and then got back in bed, and then got up again when the game proper starts. And having written the note before the conversation with the minister doesn't make sense either because our character doesn't know what the hunt is until after the fact.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I like to think that the giant ancillary sphere is also a series callback to the Duke's Archives (Seath's Astrolabe Emporium) in DS1.

Hey CJakes, I'm rewatching your Max Payne 3 LP, and I want you to know that your mic was so bad back then.

drat, you're right, it really was. This was my mic back then:

And plus I didn't know how to do any audio editing for the life of me so it was all staticky and terrible lol.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 2, 2018

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It really just makes no sense to me though because we are in our hunter's POV for the entire intro- there is no time for them to write the note unless they somehow got up after passing out, wrote the note, and then got back in bed, and then got up again when the game proper starts. And having written the note before the conversation with the minister doesn't make sense either because our character doesn't know what the hunt is until after the fact.

Yeah; maybe the English writers agree, they could've fit that in if they wanted to. Though, maybe they just thought it was weird that a scrawl was definitively recognisable as your own.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Can you not recognize your own handwriting, even when it's scrawly?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Hmm, I'd be hesitant to say it was absolutely mine if I found a random piece of paper some random place but under the circumstance of it being in the room I just woke up in I probably would assume that.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
If I'm particularly quick or I'm a little head fuzzy, I sometimes cannot recognize my own handwriting. It's not that I don't know whose it is (usually I assume it's my dad's, since we're a little similar in style), but because my writing is kind of generic, because as a teacher I have to make it look like standard block lettering so my EFL students can read it easier.

Basically, it seems like our Hunter is an EFL teacher.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So they're rolling with Skill/Arcane?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 6, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Will the sun rise up tomorrow, bringing peace in any way?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

YOU MONSTER HOW COULD YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Brr. Notice the constant refrain of a baby crying in the distance?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, that fight with the Crow of Cainhurst looked miserable. A ridiculous damage sponge that can virtually insta-kill you. Seems like a real "what were they thinking?" encounter.

The rest of the stuff in this part was great, though. For how often the term is used, it sure doesn't feel like there's much Lovecraftian horror out there in games.

Speaking of games that are good at showing you places you've been - or will go to in the future - off in the distance, the original Unreal was great at that, believe it or not. Its levels were huge - like, monumentally huge - and sometimes with landmarks that you'd reach and think "hey, I've been seeing that in the sky-box for half the game already". It made you feel like you'd crossed a whole country on foot, by the end of the game. (This was the nineties, too - so long games were long.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The thing about the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst is that, he’s kind of miserable to fight but he’s also in many ways meant to be the ultimate 1v1 hunter challenge and I respect that. There’s a fight that I find way more bullshit personally.

Also there’s a version of this questline where you fight Eileen here and it’s about as bad from my understanding.

Lastly the way being a Hunter of Hunters actually works is exactly as Eileen explained, if the person summoning you has gone blood-drunk (successful Invader) you hunt them for being a monster. The actual logic is the more successful of an Invader someone is the more likely a Hunter or Hunters will hunt them. Fun fact it also interacts with invading in the same way, whilst acting as a Hunter of Hunters you are more likely to invade people who are repeat successful invaders.

Funner fact is acting as a Hunter of Hunters does not stop you from getting blood drunk by invading others, even when the person you invade is blood-drunk themselves. Also killing NPC Hunters adds to this calculation.

So it’s basically acting like a blue cop in Dark Souls, but bloodier and weirder.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 6, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish blue cops could get accidentally summoned by invaders. that would be amazing, id love to impromptu pvp somebody i summoned in front of a boss door

no really, unironically, itd own so hard

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
For the people who don't know, the network test of Bloodborn actually had Rom sit on some clocktower visible from the start, doing nothin' but be spooky. Naturally, people want to know what the hell that giant spider is supposed to be, and why its sitting on a building. Then the actual game comes out, and it's just...gone. There are pigs and werewolves, but no giant monsters on buildings.

So you move on, eventually find the thing at the bottom of a lake, kill it, and BAM! Amygdalas loving EVERWHERE, all over the buildings, and most of them do nothing but stare at you. And you know these assholes were always there because a few of them did attack you, only now you can actually see them do it. And if you've fought one, you know the things are actually super dangerous, so now you have to go through the area with absolutely no idea if these things are going to turn hostile, and that's really intimidating.

It was an absolutely brilliant play, because we expected giant monsters on buildings, got confused when we didn't see them, and got spooked once we realized the giants monsters were there the whole drat time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As I recall the network test just had one of the Amygdala in it, and cursory googling supports this. I do think that there should have been more Amygdala visible throughout Yharnam outside Yahar’gul at this point. As there’s only really those ones and the one on the Cathedral Ward safe-house.

Also having now watched the entire video I think it is also worth noting that it is very likely Old Yharnam and Yahar’Gul were once one city, which ran through the valley Yharnam appears to be situated on and around. Likely Hemwick and Cainhurst were also part of this community. With Central Yharnam and Cathedral Ward being built on top of the valley later on.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 6, 2018

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Antistar01 posted:

Man, that fight with the Crow of Cainhurst looked miserable. A ridiculous damage sponge that can virtually insta-kill you. Seems like a real "what were they thinking?" encounter.

The rest of the stuff in this part was great, though. For how often the term is used, it sure doesn't feel like there's much Lovecraftian horror out there in games.

Speaking of games that are good at showing you places you've been - or will go to in the future - off in the distance, the original Unreal was great at that, believe it or not. Its levels were huge - like, monumentally huge - and sometimes with landmarks that you'd reach and think "hey, I've been seeing that in the sky-box for half the game already". It made you feel like you'd crossed a whole country on foot, by the end of the game. (This was the nineties, too - so long games were long.)

I've never seen the beast roar method of getting through the fight. If he's really kicking your rear end you used to be able to (not sure if they patched this out) poison him and retreat out the door until his aggro resets. Once his health got down to the point where he activates his sword, his health starts ticking down from that. If you retreat again he will just stand there and bleed himself out. Beating him the "right" way once was enough for me.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

E-Money posted:

I've never seen the beast roar method of getting through the fight. If he's really kicking your rear end you used to be able to (not sure if they patched this out) poison him and retreat out the door until his aggro resets. Once his health got down to the point where he activates his sword, his health starts ticking down from that. If you retreat again he will just stand there and bleed himself out. Beating him the "right" way once was enough for me.

They patched that ways back. Also, balancing NPCs on the hunter while they try to return to their set area is actually viable for other NPCs as well, like if you want to kill Alfred absurdly early or something.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

thetruegentleman posted:

They patched that ways back. Also, balancing NPCs on the hunter while they try to return to their set area is actually viable for other NPCs as well, like if you want to kill Alfred absurdly early or something.

Ahh OK. I think you can still burn through his two heals and then poison him and escape though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

thetruegentleman posted:

You can still cheese him on the stairs, if you go all the way down he'll do a running attack and then back up to the top. Killing him with poison knives is still viable.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The stairs bug him out something fierce
Its how I beat him the first time, though at higher levels than this

shoulda just used Beastroar instead of Augur of Ebrietas, apparently

Mostly its just his insane good visceral timing that angers me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would say he is a good example of why you should make sure you dumb down your NPCs. The computer opponent is, by definition, omniscient. It knows every single thing that's happening at any moment and can react instantly to any situation on the very next frame unless it is told not to by its own code. Making an AI that is impeccable is real easy compared to making one that is 'realistically' smart and with NPCs like the cathedral hunter it really seems like they just didn't bother. His frame-perfect parries are enough of an example imo, which is why fighting him on the stairs is much better than on even ground, because he can't shoot you anymore.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I am exceedingly proud of the fact that I once managed to almost beat the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst in a fair fight. Emphasis on "almost", I still lost in the end before resorting to exploiting poison knives and the stairs.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

He's beatable if you're patient but it's hard not to eat through blood vials on each drawn out attempt. You need to be fully stocked when you start making runs to kill him.

Transformed Chikage is super dangerous but untransformed is way worse. If you recklessly R1 when he's untransformed you'll get visceraled if you string it out to 3 or 4 swings. On top of that getting hit by the Repeating Pistol at any time is worth at least a vial.

It's a good idea to be aggressive and pile on damage when he's transformed. When he stops using transformed, if you stay patient and limit yourself to one or two whiff punish swings at a time it's a manageable battle of attrition. I still used up almost a full stack of vials on my successful attempts.

I tried Numbing Mist but missed almost every time. It also risked taking a Repeating Pistol shot or getting hit with Numbing Mist in return. I'm pretty sure I eschewed Numbing Mist when I did kill him. Just accept the fight is going to go the distance.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If the bloody crow doesn't play fair with that insane pool of hp and infinite bullets, I'm not playing fair on even ground either so I go to the stairs, I'm protected.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I am exceedingly proud of the fact that I once managed to almost beat the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst in a fair fight. Emphasis on "almost", I still lost in the end before resorting to exploiting poison knives and the stairs.

I did it on my NG+ run, but I was stocked up on health just so I could survive a single visceral combo.
I imagine you arent meant to fight the Bloody Crow until a bit later, but still

I almost cant hate him because of that goofy teleport spam victory dance he sometimes does

Numbing Mist I never found useful. He doesnt heal more than once each time usually (of course he can do the same to you with his own numbing mists!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So I got a chance to play the game while visiting my brother and while fun your play through sure makes it look easy. I ended up dying to a small group of inhabitants a couple of times and always died against the first big brute you find. i never could seem to get the parry to work, it always fired off and I got hit by the enemy. So I ended up not being able to riposte, I am sure I could get better with practice but sheesh it is hard.