Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Garrand posted:

Wait, you used to call it "chick-filler" and it didn't cross your mind that that's probably not the name of a family friendly Christian restaurant?

You can fill the chicks all you want, it’s the fellas you can’t pork.

Also not even remotely surprised that the British are incapable of pronouncing even the simplest French loanwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Religious fundies would actually prefer that you fill the chicks, as condoms are a mortal sin

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s true. I have never once found a condom in my sandwich at Chick-fil-A

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

You can fill the chicks all you want, it’s the fellas you can’t pork.

Also not even remotely surprised that the British are incapable of pronouncing even the simplest French loanwords.

Loan? We straight up stole it, it's ours now to pronounce how we like! Just like herbs with an h!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At least you arent like my mother who pronounced it Chick-fill-ah and thought it was supposed to describe the three step process of ordering chicken, becoming full, and then saying “ah” in satisfaction.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

At least you arent like my mother who pronounced it Chick-fill-ah and thought it was supposed to describe the three step process of ordering chicken, becoming full, and then saying “ah” in satisfaction.

mother of god

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barudak posted:

:allears:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

Lol I like your mom’s logic (and the sex we had).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Barudak posted:

You never corrected her, right? Because I need more people like this in life. Correcting her would do the world a disservice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

No poo poo, you could probably pitch that as a new ad campaign

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I hate it when anglos pronounce a French word ending in -et as -ay instead of like adults.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hate it when anglos pronounce a French word ending in -et as -ay instead of like adults.
"Adults" doesn't even end in -et. :confused:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

aren't you Finnish? maybe just stay out of discussions about sensible languages

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

"Adults" doesn't even end in -et. :confused:

Well now see here this is where typography comes in; I said "adults" not "adults" :smugmrgw:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I never heard of Chick-Fill-A until I read Tucker Max's book about being an rear end in a top hat (and his followup book about being a rich rear end in a top hat) and then the next time I heard of it it was because they were homophobic. Then I found out their slogan is basically a desperate anthropomorphic Jew-cow trying to quissling his way or whatever it's called to good favor by selling out another race to the ovens. Everything about them sounds terrible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They are terrible and lobbied to remove having to cover certain things like birth control on their insurance and you should never eat there.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying the mispronounciations tho

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

credburn posted:

Then I found out their slogan is basically a desperate anthropomorphic Jew-cow trying to quissling his way or whatever it's called to good favor by selling out another race to the ovens.

yikes

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well now see here this is where typography comes in; I said "adults" not "adults" :smugmrgw:

You're a dolt.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fun fact: 'adult' and 'adolescent' are both from the same Latin root word adolescere (grow up, come to maturity, ripen) but 'adolescent' is from the present participle tense adolescentem (growing, approaching maturity, ripening) and 'adult' is from the past participle tense adultus (grown, matured, ripe)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

You're a dolt.

No, no, see, an "adult" is someone that has to pay taxes and get the oil changed in their car every so often; an adult is someone about to disrobe in a hotel room illuminated only by the light streaming in through the venetian blinds

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
'Fillet' is an English word that rhymes with 'millet'. It is both a noun and a verb. The French word 'filet', pronounced 'fillay', may sometimes be found on restaurant menus which often have French names for dishes.

While I'm at it, in English some cheese is blue. If you're not French it isn't 'bleu' for some loving reason.

Unkempt has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Jun 6, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Captain Monkey posted:

You're an a dolt.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unkempt posted:

While I'm at it, in English some cheese is blue. If you're not French it isn't 'bleu' for some loving reason.
if they haven't got a legal protection for it like "champagne" we're gonna take it :911:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if they haven't got a legal protection for it like "champagne" we're gonna take it :911:

Yeah, but not all blue cheese is french. Plenty of British, German, Swiss, Italian, Danish blue cheese.

Cheese is important dammit

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Unkempt posted:

'Fillet' is an English word that rhymes with 'millet'.

actually, it's pronounced fil-ay. glad I could clear that up for you

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Unless you're talking about, say, a metal fillet (rounding of an inside or outside corner).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
According to the dictionary it does have some non-food definitions that are pronounced like “fill-it”, but yeah the cut is a fil-Ayy I’m walkin here!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Look at all of you being wrong as gently caress. Shameful.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Unkempt posted:

Look at all of you being wrong as gently caress. Shameful.

Turn on your monitor

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

the french word filet means fillet, which is done with a filleting knife.

TIL filet mignon is actually a pork tenderloin

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a fine cut from the pork part of the cow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

You mean beef tenderloin, right?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You mean beef tenderloin, right?

no

the link you're quoting posted:

In French this cut is always called filet de bœuf, which translates in English to beef fillet. The reason that this cut in French is always called filet de boeuf is because, in French, filet mignon always means pork tenderloin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not true.

In France maybe, but not always in French.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Read more than a sentence of that wiki and you might learn the One Weird Trick that makes both of you right!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Read more than a sentence of that wiki and you might learn the One Weird Trick that makes both of you right!

filet mignon, noted for being an english word. :nallears:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

Filet mignon (/ˌfiːleɪ ˈmiːnjɒ̃/;[1] French for "tender fillet" or "delicate/fine fillet") is a steak cut of beef

In English speaking countries, it is beef. In France, it is pork. This is an English-language board, and you are speaking English, ergo...

E: VVV gently caress you got me

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jun 6, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No that's snails.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

credburn posted:

I never heard of Chick-Fill-A until I read Tucker Max's book about being an rear end in a top hat (and his followup book about being a rich rear end in a top hat) and then the next time I heard of it it was because they were homophobic. Then I found out their slogan is basically a desperate anthropomorphic Jew-cow trying to quissling his way or whatever it's called to good favor by selling out another race to the ovens. Everything about them sounds terrible.

Would you happen to remember where you read this? I did some googling around but all I can find is the more recent homophobia scandal, and a small image of their first logo that looks really antisemetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

Would you happen to remember where you read this? I did some googling around but all I can find is the more recent homophobia scandal, and a small image of their first logo that looks really antisemetic.

I think he's being a bit over the top about this - https://imgur.com/a/bCnydhb