Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of this, I'm thinking of installing a Win98 or WinXP VM on my Win 10 machine just for these older games that are bitch to get working nowadays. I haven't setup a VM in so long though, what's the go to program these days for that? Would Win98 or XP be better?

Do you have Win 10 Pro? Try Hyper-V. VMWare Player and VirtualBox are good free alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, and the GeForce 4 Ti4600 should be well, well in advance of the best Voodoo on the market (the V5 5500/6000), so it's gotta be the CPU, doesn't it? I spent a few hours late last night reapplying the thermal paste, since its internal sensor was reporting nearly 70C at load, and now it's... well, 65C at load, so I guess it helped, but it's probably just a placebo. (Really though, I wasn't expecting the temps my non-OC'd i7-7700K is pulling in my modern rig from a PIII.)

Oh well, I had already been considering building a Super Socket 7 rig so I could effectively have a 386, 486 and lower-end Pentium in a single rig (ideally with both an AGP and ISA slot, so I could try out authentic Sound Blasters and maybe even a Voodoo); what's adding another P4 (or maybe Core 2 Duo) computer gonna hurt? :retrogames:

(An interesting side project to look into... much, much later. Now's just not a great time.)

I think it is the CPU since most of those older games (especially Morrowind) come from a time that they didn't lean on the GPU for 85% of their performance. Morrowind's recommended spec alone was a PIII 500 and even with that I could never have draw distance all the way up, and Balmora, Ebonhart, and Seyda Need were FPS killers. You can tell if it is/isn't the GPU usually by lowering resolution and seeing if the games run better. And it's also just a really old computer, who knows what's going on with the motherboard with those parts. You could have puffy caps or other weird poo poo happening.

Edit: Also what's the power supply voltage? A PS making GBS threads the bed will affect everything else.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

c0burn posted:

Do you have Win 10 Pro? Try Hyper-V. VMWare Player and VirtualBox are good free alternatives.

What does Hyper-V give me that might make it worth more to me than the freebies? And how do I even get old OSs these days, Ebay?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: Also what's the power supply voltage? A PS making GBS threads the bed will affect everything else.
Dunno about voltage, but it's a relatively modern Corsair 700W PSU I salvaged off my last modern rig, by virtue of the one the Win98SE computer came with giving up the ghost within the past year and me being too cheap and lazy to go out and find a more period-correct PSU.

Almost certainly overkill (I've even heard that too many watts can be a problem, though generally the system only takes what it needs so it's hardly an urgent one), but it turns on and the old PSU doesn't, so sure.

As for your other post, you can get them from eBay for sure - I'm sure XP is fairly cheap to come by, while 98SE might be less so (and would require a floppy drive more likely than not, though at least it's just a standard HD 3.5" floppy that most cheap USB floppy drives can read with no trouble). Of course, there's also :filez:; I suspect this 98SE computer went that route when the original builder was making it, but I've since purchased a legitimate floppy/CD-ROM copy of 98SE, so whatever. (Probably have my old OEM copy of XP lying around somewhere too.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, and the GeForce 4 Ti4600 should be well, well in advance of the best Voodoo on the market (the V5 5500/6000), so it's gotta be the CPU, doesn't it? I spent a few hours late last night reapplying the thermal paste, since its internal sensor was reporting nearly 70C at load, and now it's... well, 65C at load, so I guess it helped, but it's probably just a placebo. (Really though, I wasn't expecting the temps my non-OC'd i7-7700K is pulling in my modern rig from a PIII.)

Oh well, I had already been considering building a Super Socket 7 rig so I could effectively have a 386, 486 and lower-end Pentium in a single rig (ideally with both an AGP and ISA slot, so I could try out authentic Sound Blasters and maybe even a Voodoo); what's adding another P4 (or maybe Core 2 Duo) computer gonna hurt? :retrogames:

(An interesting side project to look into... much, much later. Now's just not a great time.)

Check out Phil's Computer Lab on YouTube if you haven't yet. Guy goes into great detail building retro gaming machines and has talked about good setups for both Super Socket 7 and P4s.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Arivia posted:

Check out Phil's Computer Lab on YouTube if you haven't yet. Guy goes into great detail building retro gaming machines and has talked about good setups for both Super Socket 7 and P4s.
He's why I have a Ti4600 in my system instead of an MX400, in fact! Been binging on his videos a lot lately - and a lot before I bought that card while looking at what upgrade avenues were available to me.

I think I'm definitely gonna look into a Pentium 4 build in a few months. Maybe look into dual-booting it or something. Dunno about this machine - it'd be nifty to try a more period-correct Voodoo on it, but that's one hell of a :retrogames: rabbit hole and I'm not sure I'm ready.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think the P3 and associated motherboards are a better compromise between speed and compatibility with older games and hardware imo. Playing late-era games like UT definitely warrants a P4, though.

I would love to put together a 486 machine but for now I have an eMachine with a Cyrix processor that lets me turn some of the caches off to make something roughly equivalent.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 6, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Thing is I'm already on a P3, and true enough, I'm running into its limits with late-98 era games.

It'd help if my motherboard supported Tualatin, so I could get a 1.4GHz P3 instead, but it doesn't, so 1GHz is its limit. (Officially 800MHz is, but this clearly is working, so.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Thing is I'm already on a P3, and true enough, I'm running into its limits with late-98 era games.

It'd help if my motherboard supported Tualatin, so I could get a 1.4GHz P3 instead, but it doesn't, so 1GHz is its limit. (Officially 800MHz is, but this clearly is working, so.)

Yeah I read back in the thread a little further and adjusted my post accordingly. It helps that P4 hardware is insanely more common these days.

Make sure you’re prepared to mess with ACPI stuff when installing Windows 98 or else you could run into a ton of issues with unidentified and misbehaving hardware. There’s a flag you can enter during setup that installs the OS without ACPI support to avoid that.

quote:

To disable ACPI support on a clean Win98/98SE/ME install type this "setup /p i". If your BIOS is an Award based BIOS you can use Modbin6.exe and enable/disable the hidden ACPI option.

https://www.hardwarecentral.com/forum/threads/disabling-acpi-in-win98se-no-option-in-bios.67058/

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 6, 2018

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

chaosapiant posted:

What does Hyper-V give me that might make it worth more to me than the freebies? And how do I even get old OSs these days, Ebay?

Virtualization performance depends a lot on loads of different things. It wouldn't hurt to try all three out.

Check this out: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-windows-xp-for-free-and-legally-straight-from-microsoft-si/

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of your edited post, that ability to slow down your computer for older games is another thing I kind of want (since that PIII 600EB was already too fast for the LucasArts games in my collection, leading to garbled AdLib sound and buggy audio all around)... but that's literally going in the opposite direction from the Pentium 4. It's like I'm being torn two directions at once! That's probably gonna end up being the Super Socket 7 rig if I ever get around to it.

I did notice that SETMUL.EXE can apparently disable motherboard cache for PIII CPUs, but that's apparently all they can do, so, no idea how useful that'd be.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If the motherboard lets you lower the FSB that’s another way to do it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just accept the fact that you're gonna eventually have a different box for each game and go ahead and build them all

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom 3.4.0 is now available. New features include cleaned up video code that lets you change renderers on the fly (and makes way for Vulkan support in the future), support for Unreal Engine 1 models as used in this mod, and various techy tweaks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any folks out there able to get Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith working with proper 3D acceleration? I'm using the dgVoodoo wrapper, but when I check the 3D box, the only resolutions are 320x200. When I play the regular Jedi Knight game, this issue doesn't happen.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

skasion posted:

What about like...any game with alternate fire?

e: while we’re doing control chat, what does the thread prefer for crouch? I don’t really like either ctrl or c, which seem to be the majority of FPS players’ preferences. I‘d like to use caps lock just because it’s within natural reach if you’re on WASD, but not every game plays nice with that.

You could always remap the CapsLock key to Control at the operating system level. Here are instructions for windows; if you are on Linux or Mac OS it should be even easier.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Any folks out there able to get Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith working with proper 3D acceleration? I'm using the dgVoodoo wrapper, but when I check the 3D box, the only resolutions are 320x200. When I play the regular Jedi Knight game, this issue doesn't happen.
Here's how I got things working on my end. I should probably put it in the OP, but that would require effort.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

The Kins posted:

support for Unreal Engine 1 models as used in this mod

Every game needs Unreal Tournament '99 weapons ported to it. I won't be happy until I've used an Enforcer or two to kill everything there is to kill in a shooter.

fake edit: this is the most beautiful thing I've yet played in a Doom source port

It even makes the Bio Rifle worthwhile, somehow!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kadorhal posted:

It even makes the Bio Rifle worthwhile, somehow!

If you weren't spending an inordinate amount of your time plfft plfft plfft'ing (and occasionally slrrrrrrrrrrrrr-PLEUGH'ing) your way through a match, I just don't know what to say. You were probably actually playing the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Can someone link what I need to get Unreal Gold working nicely on a modern machine? It's dark, has odd mouse smoothing, and a poorly scaled UI even for the time. It's still fun tho.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

It was on idgames the whole time? gently caress. Thanks!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

Can someone link what I need to get Unreal Gold working nicely on a modern machine? It's dark, has odd mouse smoothing, and a poorly scaled UI even for the time. It's still fun tho.
The OldUnreal 227 Patch should cure most of what ails you. Except for the HUD scaling.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Kins posted:

GZDoom 3.4.0 is now available. New features include cleaned up video code that lets you change renderers on the fly (and makes way for Vulkan support in the future), support for Unreal Engine 1 models as used in this mod, and various techy tweaks.

it's 2018 and i'm still gobsmacked by doom mods.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wasn’t there a UT99 mod to play through the Unreal campaign inside of it with the UT weapons? It can load the Unreal maps out-of-the-box from what I can remember.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Holy gently caress.

Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Doom: the greatest game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

Wasn’t there a UT99 mod to play through the Unreal campaign inside of it with the UT weapons? It can load the Unreal maps out-of-the-box from what I can remember.
Yeah, Oldskool Amp'd.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Serephina posted:

For mouse smoothing, there’s an option called “hdinput” or something like that, right above the smoothing options. Check that and uncheck that mouse acceleration/smoothing options and voila!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm reading thru this thread from the beginning while at work, and downloading recommended WADs for Doom as they come up. Last night I gave a shot at Winter's Fury. Holy poo poo is that impressive! Only played about 10-15 minutes of it on UV but the first level has this constant forward progression that just feels amazing, and I love that atmosphere. Also started on Doom the Way ID Did, and drat is that solid! Only past the first level, but Doom WAD'ing has come a LONG way since I last investigated the scene 22 years ago. Anything else out there like Winter's Fury that has that sense of momentum and atmosphere?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Here's how I got things working on my end. I should probably put it in the OP, but that would require effort.

Anyone know how to make the window bigger? It's a postage stamp for me no matter what resolution I put the game at and I can't scale it manually with the mouse.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Been playing through Arcane Dimensions and it’s been really fun. Not every map is a winner but even the worst one I played is still fun, just not as fun as others.

It’s got me thinking that quake 1 holds up more than quake 2. I know the level pak does things og quake couldn’t but even stuff like setting, sounds, and general look hold up better than 2’s brown/orange blurry tech and wobbly vertices.

Quake 2 ost is still baller though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

an_mutt posted:

It was on idgames the whole time? gently caress. Thanks!

Make sure to combine it with BoomDoom (and iddqd) for good times :supaburn:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dunno why but ut weapons in doom sounds janky as hell but gently caress it im goin for it

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I do recall the horde mode in UT2004 leaving the guns feeling really anemic, for what that's worth. (And Unreal itself, though there I can at least chalk it up to excessive dodging and enemies getting spongier the further in you go.) Maybe it'll still hold true for UT99 weapons against Doom monsters.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Anyone know how to make the window bigger? It's a postage stamp for me no matter what resolution I put the game at and I can't scale it manually with the mouse.

Unless you forgot to set a resolution above postage-stamp size in the dgVoodoo control panel, I don't know what's up.

site posted:

i dunno why but ut weapons in doom sounds janky as hell but gently caress it im goin for it

I'm reminded of a video review I watched a few days ago for a mod from ten years ago, Psychophobia, that did the same sort of thing because it was "fancy" and "new" and all that back then.

Personally, though, I'm willing to let UT99 weapons in Doom slide because they're UT99 weapons, whereas Psychophobia grabbed weapon models from whatever sources they could get with little rhyme or reason, so you had poo poo like STALKER's Chaser 13 and AvP2's rocket launcher alongside some janky, vaguely Half-Life 2-ish SMG, a terrible-looking minigun and a tacticool abomination of a Counter-Strike M4 skin.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh no. The situation with Psychophobia is worse than that. The mod has been around for like ten years, huge and sprawling the whole time. But it was only like 3 years ago that they gave up on a really good collection of ripped and custom sprites for weapons and enemies and decided to go with lovely ripoff models that don't work instead. They went to 3d models after they were cool.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

Oh no. The situation with Psychophobia is worse than that. The mod has been around for like ten years, huge and sprawling the whole time. But it was only like 3 years ago that they gave up on a really good collection of ripped and custom sprites for weapons and enemies and decided to go with lovely ripoff models that don't work instead. They went to 3d models after they were cool.

Now I'm curious what its original sprite weapons looked like.

Also, I think I have a problem. I'm playing through that Doom Tournament mod, and I already have a decent supply of weapons, including a Pulse Gun, a Ripper, a Flak Cannon and a Rocket Launcher - but every time I meet an enemy type for the first time, I put whichever one of those I'm using away to kill it with the Enforcer just so I can say I've killed it with an Enforcer.

I'll let you know if I find a way to kill the Icon of Sin with an Enforcer or two.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kadorhal posted:

I'll let you know if I find a way to kill the Icon of Sin with an Enforcer or two.
IDSPISPOPD prolly

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

IDSPISPOPD prolly

I was thinking a way that wouldn't involve noclip, actually.

And, as it turns out, there is one! There's a radsuit right below the Icon, and the mod replaces those with High-Jump Boots.

The Icon took about 15 bullets to die.

EDIT: at this point I might as well make a video series called "The Enforcer Chronicles" or something where I try to explain my irrational love for the Enforcer and then go kill everything that can be killed with them. Between Left 4 Dead 2, Garry's Mod and now GZDoom that's at least three different non-UT games to go kill things with them in.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 7, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kadorhal posted:

Now I'm curious what its original sprite weapons looked like.

Also, I think I have a problem. I'm playing through that Doom Tournament mod, and I already have a decent supply of weapons, including a Pulse Gun, a Ripper, a Flak Cannon and a Rocket Launcher - but every time I meet an enemy type for the first time, I put whichever one of those I'm using away to kill it with the Enforcer just so I can say I've killed it with an Enforcer.

IIRC you can get an Arch Vile to bounce you into the Icon's brain area but the timing is really tight or you can just do the ol' "idclip" cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kadorhal posted:

I was thinking a way that wouldn't involve noclip, actually.

And, as it turns out, there is one! There's a radsuit right below the Icon, and the mod replaces those with High-Jump Boots.

The Icon took about 15 bullets to die.

EDIT: at this point I might as well make a video series called "The Enforcer Chronicles" or something where I try to explain my irrational love for the Enforcer and then go kill everything that can be killed with them. Between Left 4 Dead 2, Garry's Mod and now GZDoom that's at least three different non-UT games to go kill things with them in.

Left 4 dead had incredibly satisfying dualies yes