Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

An old ranger trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

TheRagamuffin posted:

Please tell. I am all about aw[(esome)(ful)] Battle Wizard gimmick builds.

Bond and the talent to increase healing. Extra health on your necklace too, of course. The healing rate is insane, and by that I mean, "Okay I tested heal rate increases and bond before and it didn't make this big of a difference HOLY poo poo" kind of insane. I mean, "I walked 100 yards in game and got a full heal." insane. The kind of insane where they had to have changed something internally and not noted it. You will never have enough bar missing to have meaningful levels of white health, so you might as well cooldown even if you have no temp health kind of insane. The kind of insane where you are at half HP again by the time a teammate thinks to mistakenly hand you a healing potion, and you are nearly full by the time you get close enough to them to hand it back. The kind where if you take a hit at the start of the battle, no one can tell you did by the end.

So long as you don't get oneshot by a mauler or chaos warrior overhead while on two grims, I'm fairly sure you're tankier than unchained through sheer heal rate. Combined with increased tranquility effect and vent version of your ult, you have no excuse to have orange heat for more than two seconds at a time.

Note that WORLD AFLAME works now and it works really REALLY well. The max damage boost it offers is incredibly noticeable, and it works client side unlike unchained. This makes you incredibly dangerous in melee as well if you get cornered, or you can nuzzle up to enemies point blank with the beam staff and shotgun things dead in one blast on legend without a crit.

All tested while client earlier today.

Tagichatn posted:

Why not take the fireball staff instead?

Yer face. Thats why.

I understand the benefits of other staves, but conflag is team friendly and has ridiculously good CC. There are also some niche situations it's very helpful in handling due to it's mechanics. On a full charge it still kills slave rats and cultists too. So long as you are BW or Pyro that is.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So this has happened multiple times now, 20% PvC on a 2h axe charged attack will stagger a CW but it's still hit or miss. I've staggered them in hordes and out of hordes but some times they don't stagger so i think during a certain animation they become more resistant to stagger which i can't seem to pin down. These are not crits just normal charged attacks.

Has anyone noticed that chaos marauders shins seem to be a weak point? I can hit them in the chest with a charged attack and they'll get up but if i hit them in the head/shins they die in 1 charged attack. It's pretty hilarious and dwarfy to be aiming for the legs of man sized targets haha. On crits my beautiful 2h axe can travel through 3 pairs of legs leaving bloody stumps on the ground--wish i could name weapons so i can call my axe leg biter.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Those are their dongliz.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Arghy posted:

So this has happened multiple times now, 20% PvC on a 2h axe charged attack will stagger a CW but it's still hit or miss. I've staggered them in hordes and out of hordes but some times they don't stagger so i think during a certain animation they become more resistant to stagger which i can't seem to pin down. These are not crits just normal charged attacks.

Has anyone noticed that chaos marauders shins seem to be a weak point? I can hit them in the chest with a charged attack and they'll get up but if i hit them in the head/shins they die in 1 charged attack. It's pretty hilarious and dwarfy to be aiming for the legs of man sized targets haha. On crits my beautiful 2h axe can travel through 3 pairs of legs leaving bloody stumps on the ground--wish i could name weapons so i can call my axe leg biter.

Change your steam username to Ankle Biter

or Corporal Stubbs.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Athel Yenlui is a harder map than skittergate.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
That's.. not inaccurate. It's a very awkwardly laid out map to fight in. The start has tons of locations to fight in that are death traps.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

whaaat

:clegg:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Id say more the same than harder. They both have a giant hill near the beginning that murders you.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Trees as that map as that map is known from beta testers is only hard when you got elves. A good group will stay together and its easy, a bad group will have idiots not wanting to back track to the tome/grim then they die and its hard. I love the tree map because the elf never gets the tome/grim so you can all have a good laugh as they die alone as it should be.

I once saved an elf from an assassin with my handgun from almost beyond render range then purposefully missed the 2nd shot on the packmaster cause i didn't want to waste a 3rd trying to save them - Bardin tales.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Athel runs are really prone to getting wiped by an unfortunate spawn in the valley section and Blightstormers can draw absurdly long sightlines in the open forests (like, so far away that you can't highlight them). It's not a map I groan about when it comes up but between those and a few of the other areas with no space it's real prone to getting hosed.

I'm also starting to hate the burning houses in Empire in Flames, between the first tome and the first grim. It seems like the game just loves to send a Chaos Patrol in there right after you've jumped down such that there's no way out and no way around.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nanomashoes posted:

I'll have to agree. The first part in the open forest sucks, and same goes for empire in flames (square) and festering ground (canyon)

Those were the hardest ones to complete on legend, for me at least

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's always Into the Nest for me, the sheer length of that map gives you so many more times to potentially get screwed, that and all the runs ruined back when ratlings would suddenly blast you apart from behind and through walls, especially near the ogre pens, so many matches ended in that little nook because SUDDEN HAIL OF WARPSHOT FROM A WALL and two people get instagibbed.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I haven't played this game since near release and looking to pick it up again. I see that there have been a ton of patches, anything I should know? I plan to jump into veteran to clean off the rust but figured I'd ask.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have had a hard time clicking with Saltzpyre dating back to VT1 but I'm having a blast with Bounty Hunter right now. It's refreshing because it offers gearing choices different from most other classes on account of not giving the littlest crap about Crit Chance. The fun difference is all in Rapier with Swift Slaying + [ranged weapon] with Hunter. Mad respect for what Scrounger can do but on the class with no-ammo Blessed Shots I don't find it necessary, and also I'm putting Scrounger on virtually every other class build so again it's refreshing to do something different. Plan is simple:

1. Send a [ranged weapon] shot into a guy, which procs Hunter and does unholy overkill to the guy(s) (Hunter does apply the 25% boost to this hit).
1a. Note that if your [ranged weapon] shot hits more than one type of armor class, you get Hunter buffs for all types hit. So like most BHs I like the Volleybow alt-fire, which tends to catch Stormvermin or berserkers in the midst of pink rats.

2. Hunter lasts 8 seconds, which means 100% uptime on account of Blessed Shots CD being 8s. But you can milk Blessed Shots much better. Kill something, which is super easy because you're high on 25% power, to refresh Blessed Shots.

3. Rapier alt-fire something. This procs the Swift Slaying on your rapier, and probably kills the something even at a fair range because it's a 25% boosted autocrit. Remember if the thing dies you get Blessed Shots right back :)

4. Swift Slaying lasts 5 seconds, and on the safe assumption you completed steps 2 and 3 within three seconds, you now enjoy 5 seconds of being death on wheels with Hunter and Swift Slaying online simultaneously. A hell of a lot of Nurgle boys can die in 5 seconds.

5. Repeat eternally.

Super fun! With Crit Chance not needed at all I put Attack Speed on the Rapier, Power v. Monsters on the Volleybow because I like to mag-dump bosses with that lit Hunter buff, and Cooldown Reduction on the trinket. Saltz was my lowest character but now I'm probably gonna 30 him out before elf or wizard. If I could have BH's power set with WHC's coat and hat I might even forsake Bardin. Once I hit 600 HP I'm also going to do some testing and see just how much damage that Hunter buff can unlock - could one-shotting CWs on Champion happen?

For a sad story though I'm out of love with Repeating Handgun Huntsman. It just doesn't feel good any more with autocrits taken away *and* damage multiplier down. I dunno. I didn't just like it during the super broken beta branch, thank you; you'll find my foolish posting about the concept dates to before that time, when there weren't autocrits. But something now feels anemic compared to how I remember it. That's why I was asking a week or two back if the reduction in Prowl benefit was a "nerf" or a "reversion to old patch."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

It all depends on map awareness, for that reason Athel Yenlui might actually be harder on Veteran than on Champion. On the former, people start loving off in random directions when they get to the open forest area, because they have no idea where the books are and they don't have the discipline to stick together.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My machine runs this game perfectly at max settings except when a bunch of poo poo gets lit on fire (beamstaff shotgun sienna, drakegun.) Turning down particle effects doesn't affect it. Does anyone know which setting changes that?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Taffer posted:

I haven't played this game since near release and looking to pick it up again. I see that there have been a ton of patches, anything I should know? I plan to jump into veteran to clean off the rust but figured I'd ask.

Assuming you know the gameplay basics:

Talents (largely) function now. There are still some bad ones, someone other than me probably has a list of the ones still borked mostly related to Fire Grandma.

+Power stuff including enchantments from items now function properly. The new hotness is +Infantry and/or +Chaos to reduce time to kill basic chaos enemies but other combos are viable as well. Stacking crit power is worthless, don't do that.

The necklace trait that increases healing on you, also increases sources of temporary health, which is amazing on builds that reliant on health.

Zealot good now. Handmaiden good too.

Oh and they just added challenges and daily quests but those are pretty much self explanatory.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does the ranger veteran talent that increases healing received stack with Boon of Shalya?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It sure does, and it's pretty great with a grudgeraker

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yep though honestly heal dupe is better because what's the point of 60% more healing when temp health can disappear, better to run anything else and get the improved bonus.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Node posted:

My machine runs this game perfectly at max settings except when a bunch of poo poo gets lit on fire (beamstaff shotgun sienna, drakegun.) Turning down particle effects doesn't affect it. Does anyone know which setting changes that?

Did you disable motion blur? I used to have major fps issues while I had it on. It seems to make everything worse; as if lighting effects, shadows and particles weren't demanding enough

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Ran a few more variations of Battle Wizard Wolverine.

As much as I prefer the conflag, the beam's shotgun blast synergizes with World Aflame way too well to ignore. The sheer clear power is staggering, and heat management isn't an issue with your heal boost + bond. The only issue here is staying so close with it can get you flanked fast, and the blast is a cone. Really close up, to get maximum World Aflame bonus, you can miss things you'd think you're hitting. Just something to be aware of. It works best staying next to a heavier melee class to keep you from swimming in enemies.

That said, I got a red dagger drop and decided to run a quick dagger/bolt setup. Using my dagger as my primary means of attack with the bolt relegated to elites almost entirely. In a thick melee, the World Aflame stacks are incredibly noticeable on the dagger. A bit ironic you are at your most vulnerable against a single enemy, but that's how it goes. You likely will get hit, and hard, but the heal boost talent and bond will keep you filthy in white and green health alike. The real issue here is to realize you are a regen-dodge tank. You have exactly as much health as usual, and elites using strong overheads will gently caress you up just the same when you get cocky. I rate this setup highly cause it has the benefits of the bolt's full damage while having a good amount of independence. Being directly in melee (and not getting sacked instantly for it) puts you in optimal position to snipe specials sneaking in with horde as well. Circumventing the issue of not being in position to lance through groups to kill pack masters, or UC's issue of not having full ranged damage as a class feature. You're likely getting World Aflame's max bonus during this too, making bodyshotting a pack master really quick and easy. This.. is a pretty big deal for Sienna.

The first is really good.. on a coordinated team. The second I rate highly for general purposes. Other staves work brilliantly all the same, but I feel anything not trying to exploit World Aflame is a bit of a waste.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Fuuka Ayase posted:

As much as I prefer the conflag, the beam's shotgun blast synergizes with World Aflame way too well to ignore. The sheer clear power is staggering, and heat management isn't an issue with your heal boost + bond. The only issue here is staying so close with it can get you flanked fast, and the blast is a cone. Really close up, to get maximum World Aflame bonus, you can miss things you'd think you're hitting. Just something to be aware of. It works best staying next to a heavier melee class to keep you from swimming in enemies.

On getting cornered: did you try the mace? Its block+attack combo is a wide sweep similar to the sword charged attack. Really nifty when you need to stagger a horde.

Other than that, protecting sienna at all times should be priority 1 for melee heavy careers imho

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
It doesn't swing fast enough to shove your way out. You may be wolverine, but you don't have damage resist. You'll get nicked to death really fast if you get pinned. Way faster than you can simply swing your way out. This is one notable difference between this and UC. We'll assume both are host for the sake of fairness. Your melee damage is incredible either way, but you rely on staying mobile while UC can just bully it's way through things. UC also has a very good point blank ult precisely for prying yourself/your group out of corners. Granted, you gain INSANE levels of range damage (for a sienna) if World Aflame is maxed on stacks as trade.

I honestly consider it a fair trade at this point. Though BW could probably still use a higher health pool regardless. It's talents trump it as a melee ranged mix, but you don't have the health to really do that without some constant source of healing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There's one thing I learned from mods preparing a little footage for a video going up later today, and that bit of education was that there is a third Chaos special they aren't using. It's got the same exact appearance as a Lifeleech but it's called a Bilechemist/Plaguebrewer. The heroes all have unique reactions to it appearing and killing it. So what does the Bilebrewer do? Well, he spawns in like a Lifeleech and stumbles his fat arse around a bit, then teleports near the players like a Lifeleech.

Except, unlike the Lifeleech, he spends 2 seconds casting a Halescourge snot ghost at someone. Worse, when it hits them, they get launched in the direction the spell originated. Then he teleports out of bounds and comes back 2 seconds later to go again.

It either won't be added, ever, because Fatshark's true fashion is wasting money on things they'll never implement properly, or it will come with DLC or something. I'll give you one guess as to why that isn't in the game yet, and may never be, though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Because adding a third special with the same silhouette as the other 2 would be retarded and boring?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Fishstick posted:

Because adding a third special with the same silhouette as the other 2 would be retarded and boring?

That's not what I was going for. They may not have a unique appearance ready yet (and we know they're still missing assets for Red weapons) and that can easily change.

What I was looking at is that it makes for unfair engagement in maps like Hunger in the Dark, or anywhere with tight corridors.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I just think Chaos need some specials that don't involve teleporting

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm playing as a new character that isn't a dwarf for the first time and wow grandma sienna rules. I'm just whacking poo poo with a mace and shooting lasers everywhere.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Voyager I posted:

Athel runs are really prone to getting wiped by an unfortunate spawn in the valley section and Blightstormers can draw absurdly long sightlines in the open forests (like, so far away that you can't highlight them). It's not a map I groan about when it comes up but between those and a few of the other areas with no space it's real prone to getting hosed.

I'm also starting to hate the burning houses in Empire in Flames, between the first tome and the first grim. It seems like the game just loves to send a Chaos Patrol in there right after you've jumped down such that there's no way out and no way around.

:agreed: EIF is awful, i think what we should do is just grab first tome and hightail it through the cellar instead of going between those houses, its a death trap shitshow.

Anyways it's all moot because Hunger in the Dark is the hardest map

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lunethex posted:

That's not what I was going for. They may not have a unique appearance ready yet (and we know they're still missing assets for Red weapons) and that can easily change.

What I was looking at is that it makes for unfair engagement in maps like Hunger in the Dark, or anywhere with tight corridors.
lmao you think fatshark cares about unfair engagements and has true concern for the players getting ratfucked?? ahahhahaha *spawns 2 blightstormers casting magical tornados in the dark segment of hunger ijn the dark, wandering chaos packs, and a chaos spawn just for fun*

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

:agreed: EIF is awful
I can't read that as anything but elf with weird capitalization.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The burning houses in empire in flames also have a ton of weird geometry around there too so you'll dodge into 1 inch of rubble and not move.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xaris posted:

lmao you think fatshark cares about unfair engagements and has true concern for the players getting ratfucked?? ahahhahaha *spawns 2 blightstormers casting magical tornados in the dark segment of hunger ijn the dark, wandering chaos packs, and a chaos spawn just for fun*

*designs career with no ranged weapon*
*designs blightstormer*

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm talking about legend, the true difficulty, where Athel Lenlui is a harder map to beat than Skittergate.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Nanamomshoes is correct. Athel is consistently the map I see most people struggle with since beta.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Athel was the first Legend map I played with pubs and finished.

It's not that difficult as long as you don't all wander off in random directions, mayflies.

When you do the puzzle it's absolutely necessary for your team to have your poo poo together by that point, I will agree.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fuuka Ayase posted:

The kind of insane where you are at half HP again by the time a teammate thinks to mistakenly hand you a healing potion, and you are nearly full by the time you get close enough to them to hand it back.
can confirm this by the way. i was playing with fuuka yesterday on legend and i saw her take a huge hit from a stormvermin that was glitchy as gently caress. horde started, and i said to myself "i'll give her my draught in a second" and i got distracted controlling the attack. looked back after the fight i looked back at her to find that she was already back to like 75% health. i felt like i was being gaslit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
People have reported the increased healing by 25% is actually 250%. This includes ones on like Ranger

So go crazy with increased healing talents while the fun lasts!