Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Two 18-core dies on an EMIB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12907/we-got-a-sneak-peak-on-intels-28core-all-you-need-to-know

Anandtech has more info on the setup. It is a 8180 platinum ($10500) cooled by a water chiller with 1800W cooling power.
The PSU is rated for 1600W and they put a lowly RX580 in the 5GHz machine (all others ran 2x1080tis) so based on the components used it is entirely possible that it consumes 1.5kW under full CPU load.
:holymoley:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Combat Pretzel posted:

Two 18-core dies on an EMIB.

make those intel VRM's cry.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

This is just for the VRM :stare:

This is the most ridiculous thing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Thanks, Intel, for making an entire computer around the Bitchin' Fast 3D 2000 joke

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Thanks, Intel, for making an entire computer around the Bitchin' Fast 3D 2000 joke

Is that fuckin' Don Francisco?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

eames
May 9, 2009

“But sir, Apple called and asked for a faster mobile CPU”

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So that's what, 20,000 bux? My nerd penis is hard as a rock right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ZXlQefic0

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 6, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hope Linus burns his house down with one

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

What a loving stupid stunt. Buy a quad-socket server.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is that thing the target for star citizen?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Is that thing the target for star citizen?

Does it have INTEL(r) OPTANE(tm) BRAND memory enabled?

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit nvm

Bloody Antlers fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Actually bigger VRMs are better, suck it AMDailures :smug:

priznat posted:

I actually like the new techlinked show they're doing :ohdear:

But I also agree that seeing Linus gently caress things up is the best

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm sure Intel is thrilled with the codename of the board :golfclap:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 6, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Glorious Hair Man is not impressed and says it's just a 28-core Skylake-X that there is no way you will ever run at 5GHz on ambient cooling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRH0-QwhvVQ

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

I don’t really do the YouTube, why does he suck?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
He doesn't.

mewse
May 2, 2006

movax posted:

He's got a gaming / watercooling / enthusiast / retail background so he's never done any enterprise IT, and whenever he does videos regarding their server room it's all done hilariously badly

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

movax posted:

Raid 0 over 4 raid 5s? Or some bullshit like that. And then one drive died and he lost everything on that server. Or the othe rtime he spent 24 hours to build a computer. That didn't boot .

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

He doesn't.

Wrong.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

movax posted:

Imagine if the 25 year old Best Buy geek squad employee you openly loathed every time you had to interact with him made hundreds of thousands per year talking about technology.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volguus posted:

Raid 0 over 4 raid 5s? Or some bullshit like that. And then one drive died and he lost everything on that server. Or the othe rtime he spent 24 hours to build a computer. That didn't boot .

Or the time he lined their entire server closet with recycled blue jean pads and then put mesh on the front of the rack to keep the dust out

mystes
May 31, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Imagine if the 25 year old Best Buy geek squad employee you openly loathed every time you had to interact with him made hundreds of thousands per year talking about technology.
At least he's not making lots of money by spewing stream-of-consciousness racism to children while playing video games.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Have you considered being a little nicer to service workers

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

If you are interacting with Best Buy geek squad employees I’m afraid you aren’t in a position to be the one criticizing here hth gl he

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Imagine if the 25 year old Best Buy geek squad employee you openly loathed every time you had to interact with him made hundreds of thousands per year talking about dropping technology.

He's alright if you know the angle

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Risky Bisquick posted:

He's alright if you know the angle

He's occasionally funny, but I knew too many people who were unironically that obnoxious AND useless, so it's pretty triggering.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

TheFluff posted:

Glorious Hair Man is not impressed and says it's just a 28-core Skylake-X that there is no way you will ever run at 5GHz on ambient cooling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRH0-QwhvVQ

This is a genuinely fantastic video.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mewse posted:

Or the time he lined their entire server closet with recycled blue jean pads and then put mesh on the front of the rack to keep the dust out

This video is better than the striped raid5 arrays. It's so insanely stupid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what's wrong with that RAID config? It's like RAID10, but instead of mirrors, it's arrays with parity. It's aptly called RAID50, too.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

K8.0 posted:

This is a genuinely fantastic video.

GamersNexus might have a silly name but it's legitimately some of the best hardware journalism around. Where else do you even see standard deviation bars in enthusiast hardware benchmarking charts? It's usually really dry in presentation but when they do jokes, they're actually pretty funny.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

mewse posted:

Is that this video? Even if not it has some definite :stare: moments in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbCmkFVCs5I

EDIT: Part 2 is even worse. Don't miss Linus using a motorized standing desk as a lift (@ 5:30) while installing their new wifi access points. :catstare: And standing on the server rack at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAI0G2xcD9k&t=322s

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 6, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe I'm not seeing it, but what's wrong with that RAID config? It's like RAID10, but instead of mirrors, it's arrays with parity. It's aptly called RAID50, too.

I think the problem was that it was 05. not 50. If even one of the top level controllers failed, everything was dead. That was what they were afraid had happened before they called actual professionals to fix it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Der8auer has a video of the 8086K up and confirms that it is identical to the 8700K, TIM and all. He tested it on air and L N2 and says it overclocks like a strong 8700K but worse than his best launch samples.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mewse posted:

Or the time he designed and built* a full-office water cooling loop out of copper pipe and the temps were poo poo because the piping was acting as a giant heatsink with next to no radiation surface, so the whole thing had to be scrapped.

*actually got one of his employees' plumber dad to do it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

So to be exact it was a windows storage spaces stripe across three hardware raid 5s, each on it's own raid controller. Then one of the controllers died in a way that wasn't recoverable just by swapping in a replacement, so they lost all the data, until a data reconstruction company managed to rebuild it.

Each controller was a completely non-redundant failure point, with a catastrophic failure mode.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

he tries to be fun and computer janitors despise fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

Is that this video? Even if not it has some definite :stare: moments in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbCmkFVCs5I

Lol yeah.. I just skipped around that video for like 20 seconds and already came across the part where he steps on the goddamn power strip that was powering his entire rack