Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
bottle episode about five, tegan, and nyssa being shanghaied into playing D&D with Adric as DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Actual events.

I can hear Capaldi so hard in that last line.

I am cursed with the ability to mimic actors’ voices and yet the inability to write anything highbrow enough to actually win. :negative:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

I am cursed with the ability to mimic actors’ voices and yet the inability to write anything highbrow enough to actually win. :negative:

Clearly your talents lie in making audio recordings of the different entries

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

Clearly your talents lie in making audio recordings of the different entries

In writing you goober if I could mimic Six I’d be out there doing it and not here posting

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

bottle episode about five, tegan, and nyssa being shanghaied into playing D&D with Adric as DM.

They put the dice into Five's eyesockets because they're constantly rolling whenever Adric talks

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Class is now on UK netflix so I guess I can not watch it there either

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is a CD-buyer from Big Finish, they've announced some changes to how they'll manage physical releases going forward, due to a large drop off of disc-buyers in favor of download-only customers.

The tl;dr is that releases will be stocked on disc for at least 12 months following their release, and past that it will depend on how well they're selling on disc. Anything that they'll take out of physical production will be announced ahead of time on their website and social media such that anyone on the fence has a heads up on how long they have to make a purchase.

Also, certain releases will be deemed as a limited physical run from the beginning; such as the 2 Class box sets.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm seeing hubbub on Twitter that it's been somehow "confirmed" that a few missing episodes are apparently known to be in the possession of private collectors, but they haven't been handed over. Is there a real source for this, or is it just rumours again?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mugabe's old news dude

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Forktoss posted:

I'm seeing hubbub on Twitter that it's been somehow "confirmed" that a few missing episodes are apparently known to be in the possession of private collectors, but they haven't been handed over. Is there a real source for this, or is it just rumours again?

Rumors. The only known missing episode to exist is Web of Fear ep 3, which went missing before it could be returned in 2011.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
All of Nu-Who is up on BBC iPlayer now. Awesome, now do The Classic run too.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Right, now I know what that small-scale Twitter storm was all about. Restoration Team member and missing episode person-in-the-know Paul Vanezis was interviewed on the Radio Free Skaro podcast yesterday, and here's what he said:

Paul Vanezis posted:

There is absolutely no question that there are missing Doctor Who films out there with private film collectors. I know some of these collectors, and at some point they may be interested in handing over their films, but they are not the kind of people you should pressure into handing things over.

So yeah, Mugabe probably, I guess. He specifically says "one or two episodes" that he apparently knows of, though. I don't think we've had this sort of (semi-)official source confirm that collectors are for certain sitting on some episodes before this, or am I wrong?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does the "Robert Mugabe is sitting on a hoard of missing Doctor Who episodes" have a specific origin? Was he known for being keen on Doctor Who or something?

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does the "Robert Mugabe is sitting on a hoard of missing Doctor Who episodes" have a specific origin? Was he known for being keen on Doctor Who or something?

The BBC sold tapes of Doctor Who to countries in Africa in the 60s/70s, including now-missing episodes. Most of the TV archives belonging to those countries have since been checked for missing episodes. Zimbabwe's TV archives were not checked, because Mugabe banned the BBC from entering the country. And so the faint possibility remains that a copy of Power of the Daleks or whatever might be propping up a table somewhere in the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation. That's all there is to it, really.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Honestly that sounds more like Ian Levine

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sinepost posted:

The BBC sold tapes of Doctor Who to countries in Africa in the 60s/70s, including now-missing episodes. Most of the TV archives belonging to those countries have since been checked for missing episodes. Zimbabwe's TV archives were not checked, because Mugabe banned the BBC from entering the country. And so the faint possibility remains that a copy of Power of the Daleks or whatever might be propping up a table somewhere in the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation. That's all there is to it, really.

I prefer to imagine him sitting on a pile of tapes like Smaug...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Or, more frighteningly, there's some private collector/fan who is an even bigger douche than Ian Levine, sitting on episodes. Maybe multiple fans.

But you'd think if they were true fans, they'd want to share these episodes with the rest of fandom, not get off in being the secret owner of the only copy of The Myth Makers or whatever, and not even being able to tell their closest friends...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
anyone who witholds missing episodes should be subject to the guillotine

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Bah, you bleeding heart liberal. You probably think drawing and quartering is 'inhumane'.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Astroman posted:

Or, more frighteningly, there's some private collector/fan who is an even bigger douche than Ian Levine, sitting on episodes. Maybe multiple fans.

But you'd think if they were true fans, they'd want to share these episodes with the rest of fandom, not get off in being the secret owner of the only copy of The Myth Makers or whatever, and not even being able to tell their closest friends...

Oh, I think we all know who is sitting on these episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't the two recovered ones change hands a few times before the BBC got them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

It's loving crazy to me that anybody could be a fan of Doctor Who and also think it was somehow fine to bogart missing episodes to themselves. Like the cognitive dissonance is insane.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Narsham posted:

Oh, I think we all know who is sitting on these episodes.

Well that would explain why these six identical tapes have THIS IS A FAKE written across the top.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

It's loving crazy to me that anybody could be a fan of Doctor Who and also think it was somehow fine to bogart missing episodes to themselves. Like the cognitive dissonance is insane.

I imagine the mindset is along the lines of "this makes me more special than anyone else" which is pretty common.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's also the BBC's history of shady practices in the past. At one point they threatened legal action against those who held missing episodes, then there's the stories of them not returning missing films that had been loaned to them. And then there was the Bob Monkhouse incident. Monkhouse, a comedian and entertainer, owned a vast archive of TV and films, had his collection seized by law enforcement in 1979 on charges of attempting to defraud when he loaned a film to a friend. Much of his collection wasn't returned even though the case was dismissed.

If I had a film collection, I'd be wary too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Okay, but seriously

What if BFA let the surviving Doctors pen an audio or two?
I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that creative process

DoctorWhat posted:

Wonder how much money you would have to throw at Tennant and Capaldi to get them to record a D&D session where they play in character as their respective Doctors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Senor Tron posted:

Wonder how much money you would have to throw at Tennant and Capaldi to get them to record a D&D session where they play in character as their respective Doctors.

None, probably.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would Matt be the eleventh-hour arrival who bails them out when they inevitably roll Nat1s against the enemy of the week?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The_Doctor posted:

None, probably.

"Would you be interested in recording a D&D session in character for twenty thousand pounds?"

"Uh... well I don't have that much on me, how soon would you need it?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

Would Matt be the eleventh-hour arrival who bails them out when they inevitably roll Nat1s against the enemy of the week?

Smith was never a fan of the series before he was cast and by pretty much all accounts he didn't exactly have the happiest time on the show due to all the production shenanigans. I think it'll be a while before he would come back and do anything.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Smith was never a fan of the series before he was cast and by pretty much all accounts he didn't exactly have the happiest time on the show due to all the production shenanigans. I think it'll be a while before he would come back and do anything.

I never heard that. I had heard he wasn't a fan but studied up and became a superfan. I never had heard he was unhappy either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He wasn't a fan in that when they first stitched his body together the lab didn't have access to streaming media or a blu-ray player.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

I never heard that. I had heard he wasn't a fan but studied up and became a superfan. I never had heard he was unhappy either.

He did do a lot of studying for the part, but it seems clear that by the time the Clara season came up, he was a little tired with the way things were being managed, in a generic, non-specific sense.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

He did do a lot of studying for the part, but it seems clear that by the time the Clara season came up, he was a little tired with the way things were being managed, in a generic, non-specific sense.

He was at the point that he didn't sign to do The Day of the Doctor until like two weeks before it started shooting, and he was pissed-off at the "hurry up and wait" production schedule that had started with the sixth season that he decided he would do that and The Time of the Doctor and call it quits.

He said in a later interview, maybe a year or two ago, that he regretted leaving when he did because he loved working with Jenna Coleman, but he was very much not happy with how things were being run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Boy it sure does sound like Moffat had a great grasp of how the show should be run.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Rhyno posted:

Boy it sure does sound like Moffat had a great grasp of how the show should be run.

He sure did run me away from the show, let me tell you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought he had it sorted once Capaldi came on board. No more split seasons, one episode after the other twelve weeks in a row, writing obviously not affected by behind-the-scenes clusterfucks... then there was no series in 2016 for some reason. The madman did it again

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

He sure did run me away from the show, let me tell you.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
man, that hiatus almost destroyed my interest in Who. and then The Return of Doctor Mysterio came out, and it was....kinda equivalent to a lovely RTD era special.
Fortunately s10 was mostly decent, if sort of superfluous, like anything Moffat hadn't managed to say about the Doctor in the Smith years, he got out in 8/9. So season 10's kinda an "ugh, nobody's ready to take over for me? I have to make another season? gently caress. Okay." and for whatever reason he thought it would be a good idea to bring back the guy who wrote In the Forest of the Night. To be fair, Smile comes across as a decent episode that needed another script pass. And then it's Harness and Whithouse who really let him down instead. lol. I'm imagining an alternate series 10 where the Monks three-parter actually works. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Am I the only person who really liked The Return of Doctor Mysterio?

• Locked thread