Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's actually a trick to avoiding these scripted events: Play New Vegas instead.

But seriously, even though you're totally correct in what you're saying I still feel like Fallout 4 is a step in the right direction because it DOES manage to be less scripted then Fallout 3. In Fallout 4 you can at least choose a faction, as opposed to Fallout 3 in which you could either side with the brotherhood or go gently caress yourself.

I really do think Bethesda listens to feedback and does try to make improvements in the areas people complain about, with mixed results. Case in point: when the game first came out lots of people were complaining that you couldn't side with the raiders because they seem like they could be an interesting faction. Lo and behold, along come a DLC pack that lets you lead a bunch a raiders. You can't get an ending with them and they don't really integrate into the main plot and the raider settlement system is set up in kind of a dumb way, but it DOES exist! Progress!

At this rate Bethesda should be able to make the perfect Fallout game in a mere 60 years.

i have over 200 hours in new vegas and every cheevo except May My Hand Forget Its Skill because even tho ive done a legion playthrough i couldnt do something as foolish as evacuate zion

last playthrough i found YET ANOTHER way to kill benny: you can machete fight him in the gladiator pits in caesar's legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

chaosapiant posted:

I think Fallout 3 and 4 are both on par with each other. They both do things better and worse than the other game. And both worse than New Vegas by a wide margin.

Fallout 3 will always have a more special place in my heart because of Stealing Independence, the best quest in any Fallout game not named New Vegas. "Give my regards to Sally" is probably the best single line Bethesda's ever written.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Azhais posted:

Do the minutemen have to take over sanctuary? Can you just leave them in the museum forever?

No and yes. Sanctuary is nothing more than a place to grab settlers anytime I visit the gas station outpost.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

They should have had deacon be shaun and have the father thing be a red herring.

I forget its name, but there was a game where you play a prisoner convicted of murder, and at the end it turns out that you're innocent or guilty depending on if you helped people or were a psychopath.

What I'm getting at is, what if the identity of your son was dependent on your karma and faction choice? Negative karma = endgame confrontation where your son is in the faction opposing yours, good karma = turns out your questgiver was your son all along!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

You were your own son. The baby died in the cryochamber but they transplanted the baby's brain into the parent to keep it alive

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

I forget its name, but there was a game where you play a prisoner convicted of murder, and at the end it turns out that you're innocent or guilty depending on if you helped people or were a psychopath.

I think that was the first The Suffering

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Azhais posted:

Do the minutemen have to take over sanctuary? Can you just leave them in the museum forever?

They don't, but you'll never get Codsworth as a companion and as far as I'm concerned Automatron mostly exists to make him a combat-ready death-tank while still enjoying his lovable quips :blush:

You can also turn Sanctuary into a raider outpost, but as far as I can tell its kinda complicated. You have to rescue Preston -> become the Minutemen general -> complete the settlement tutorial Sanctuary quest -> move any essential NPCs (Preston/Codsworth/Sturges) -> make Mama Murphy OD -> (I think) kill Jun and Marcy Long -> make sure none of the generic settlers staying there gave you a radiant quest. Not really worth it just to poo poo that hard on Preston's dream of a better life, especially when you can just send him to some hellhole like that mirelurk construction site settlement and call it a day.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That's why you built up sanctuary for the minutemen. Then you take over any other town for your own. It doesn't help like half of the minutemen don't even do work at the town.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

You work for Desdemona, you could fire Preston :v:

Working for Desdemona activates my Babylon5 nostalgia so I can pretend that I am taking orders from Commander Ivanova.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Marcy, Jun, Sturges and Murphy are the worst NPCs in the game because regardless of what you assign them to do, they will always go wandering off to hammer on a wall somewhere or hog the crafting benches and then complain at you with the same three lines.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Another must have mod the is the one that removes the cap for food, water, and salvage per day. If there's more food than the people or if they already have enough, they don't harvest. If there's water already there they won't add the next days water in the storage. If there's almost any kind of scrap in the bench they wont collect their 1 piece of scrap per day. It's also the reason it seems the salvage tables look like they are bugged.

I'm sure they put the caps there because they knew 16 towns would turn you into a fallout millionaire. But the thing is people already do this but have to dance around this lame cap they placed. It also lets you passively build your towns up.

It also shines a huge spot light that everyone in Boston but the kid in diamond city is a moron that can't rebuild society. Ok I guess there's few settlements actually are building too, that arn't morons.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 6, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

i have over 200 hours in new vegas and every cheevo except May My Hand Forget Its Skill because even tho ive done a legion playthrough i couldnt do something as foolish as evacuate zion

last playthrough i found YET ANOTHER way to kill benny: you can machete fight him in the gladiator pits in caesar's legion

Good, just wanted to make sure you'd experienced the best Fallout.

I approve of your new found Benny way to murder Benny, although the best way to kill him remains the Black Widow way.

Have you also played the Far Harbor DLC? Because even if you got tried of Fallout 4 because of the main plot-line sucks that one is worth going back to check out. It's surprisingly well written. I also recommend Nukaworld, although opinions on that one are more mixed (just like the smooth taste of Nuka-Love).

If you have already played Far Harbor/Nukaworld then, welp, nothing to do but sit back and pray to whatever higher power you believe in that whatever Fallout 76 is turns out to be good.

Edit:

Or do this I guess: https://www.whompcomic.com/comic/fallout-fourhead

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 6, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that was the first The Suffering

Yeah that was The Suffering, a surprisingly creative game and then the second was also pretty neat, but not as good.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Got FO3 started up. Same goal: big guns character. Gonna run around with a minigun and murder nerds at some point. Whats a good starting build or should I just go with the default I'm googling up?

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox360/939933-fallout-3/answers/31643-how-to-build-a-big-guns-character

This sound?

quote:

If you feel a little chessey, any character can be a big guns character. You can get an unlimited number of Big Guns books from a raider in the Bethesda Offices East. Simply clear the place out (and get the book), go outside and wait 73 hours, and hop back in. Do it as often as you like (without the Comprehension perk, you only need to do it 39 times to max Big Guns without spending any skill points) for a +1 (or 2) to Big Guns each time. There are 24 other books.

For a less cheesey approach, it largely depends on what else you want to do.
S7, P6, E9, C1, I4, A7, L6
After bobbleheads you'll have
S8, P7, E10, C2, I5, A8, L7
With Ant Might and 2 Intense Trainings you can have
S9, P7, E10, C2, I5, A10, L7

With a Big Guns-Centric gear set up you'll have
Linden's Outcast Power Armor (+1 S, -1 Ag, +5 Big Guns)
Eugene or Vengence Gatling Laser (Eugene will be easier to maintain and keep ammo for, but Vengence is very powerful)
Lucky Shades (+1 L) and the Lucky 8 Ball *+1 L)
I reccommend Three Dog's Headwrap, as it will allow you to wear the Lucky Shades and gets you a +1 L, +1 C

With all that you'll have
S10, P7, E10, C3, I5, A9, L10

You can tag Big Guns for 15, get the skill books (not cheesy) for 25, Bobblehead for 10, your 10E will give you another 22 for a total of 72, 77 with Linden's Power Armor. 23 skill points will max it for you. You'll also want a high Repair and Medicine. Other skills (lockpick, science, barter, speech) should be raised as usual.

e: I also don't want to do that thing where you hit level 30, get all 9s, then go get the bobbleheads for perfect 10s in special. I'm just looking to have a decent playthrough and then go to NV.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 6, 2018

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

That's a lot of thought put in to a game where you can steamroll everything by picking up the biggest gun you can and putting points in to the big guns skill.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Poniard posted:

That's a lot of thought put in to a game where you can steamroll everything by picking up the biggest gun you can and putting points in to the big guns skill.

I'm nothing without goons to tell me how to play videogames right.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Go for it, but don't feel like you have to rush for those stats and equipment.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Poniard posted:

Go for it, but don't feel like you have to rush for those stats and equipment.

Honestly I just wanna make sure my dude can handle a minigun and not suck at quests. Apart from that I'm not worried about perfection.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Started Old World Blues and had thirty minutes of ham and cheese shoved into my sensory orifices before even starting the quests

God I love the voice acting in the New Vegas DLCs

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Not necessarily Fallout-related (well, not *just* Fallout-related anyway), but Noclip has published the first part of their two-part documentary on Bethesda, which covers their history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKn9yiLVlMM

The second part will be a deep dive on the development of Fallout 76 and will come out after the gameplay reveal at Bethesda's E3 showcase.

A lot of stuff from that documentary I kind of already knew from various articles on the history of the company, but there's still a lot of interesting insight.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
A lot of goons are talking about being Shaun's father in FO4... I don't get it, the only game mode mine came with was badass 50s mom murdering fools and rockin' liberty curls.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
idk how I've missed this until now but I did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHv0RExQsPQ&t=201s

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What if they had made Strong your son. Your big idiot boy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Strong is possibly the worst fallout companion ever and I’d be happy to gib my son with a railway gun. To be fair I never played fallout 1 or 2 but I’m confident he’s worse than the most generic companion there.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

no, Ian will always be the worst npc follower.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I appreciated Strong in theory. After three games where every super mutant companion is a well-spoken intellectual it was kinda refreshing to tear around with the standard big dumb cannibalistic variety.

Making him lose approval for almost every standard conversation or action you do was not a great design decision, though!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I appreciated Strong in theory. After three games where every super mutant companion is a well-spoken intellectual it was kinda refreshing to tear around with the standard big dumb cannibalistic variety.

Making him lose approval for almost every standard conversation or action you do was not a great design decision, though!

STRONG HATE MODIFYING ARMOR

NO MILK OF HUMAN KINDNESS IN REFLEX SIGHT

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah that and he despises a lot of perfectly normal game actions. It makes sense for characters to dislike stealing or picking owned locks but Strong hates all lock picking. That is an unimaginably stupid game design decision. I can understand if he gets made if you're nice to people but his list of dislikes is just plain stupid.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfsheim posted:

After three games where every super mutant companion is a well-spoken intellectual

???

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

mental illness doesn't detract from the range of tabitha's vocabulary.

also, strong hating everything... if one can ever really discern the mud that is bethesda's narrative... are actions he's too stupid to understand. it's not interesting or fun and doesn't make for a good companion, but it's true to the whole 'stupid thing, smashy-smashy' shtick super mutants are about. except in strong's case, there's some jag-off vault dweller who keeps insisting this poo poo is really important and needs to be done, keeping him from smashing said stupid thing.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
it seems like the sole survivor is being grossly irresponsible by letting strong live

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hi I haven’t checked the thread since the first day rumor of online survival rpg and now there’s a bunch of pages.

Did we get any more info on the project?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hi I haven’t checked the thread since the first day rumor of online survival rpg and now there’s a bunch of pages.

Did we get any more info on the project?

They have a presentation this weekend.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah that and he despises a lot of perfectly normal game actions. It makes sense for characters to dislike stealing or picking owned locks but Strong hates all lock picking. That is an unimaginably stupid game design decision. I can understand if he gets made if you're nice to people but his list of dislikes is just plain stupid.

Oddly enough one of the best ways to raise Strong's opinion is to hang around a settlement with him. He actually likes you helping settlers.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
just finished up fallout 4's campaign for the second time, really enjoyed far harbor and wishlisted nukaworld to remind myself to pick it up during the summer sale.

think i'm gonna decompress with wolfenstein: the old blood and then finally go and play through new vegas all the way. after watching many a true nerd's defense of fallout 3, i'm not sure i'll enjoy it all that much, that video really reminded me why i loved 3 and could never really get into new vegas.

but i'ma give it another shot anyhow!~

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Going through Lily's personal half-quest was pretty uncomfortable to me and the ending card about her outcome made me sad too :smith:. But I guess its safe to assume her children and grandchildren have been dead for a long time anyways.

Also I just finished Nick Valentine's quest and the resolution was pretty good. It was probably the only thing in the game that had an effect on me, maybe second to ironsides. Can I mention for the fourth time how disappointed I am that Captain Ironsides didnt get his own DLC? That was a ton of fun and I had more attachment to him and his ship than MY BABY

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Taerkar posted:

Oddly enough one of the best ways to raise Strong's opinion is to hang around a settlement with him. He actually likes you helping settlers.

that is because East Coast super mutants are all communists.

yes.

all of them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Imo Lily's "ideal" ending is bittersweet; she forgets her dead grandchildren, but now the wasteland has a mentally stable immortal superstrong grandma kindly helping youngsters :3: plus they give you a status-quo ending if you dont want to take that leap; if you tell her to keep half-dosing she remains as-is.

If Obsidian ever gets another shot at Fallout, I really hope we get to see Lily and Tabitha again.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

jfood posted:

no, Ian will always be the worst npc follower.

I think you mean best npc follower.

Sweetest hair, and he's a free special difficulty mode to make the game more exciting, like the JESawyer mod, which that person who asked what mods they should use in NV a page or two ago should always use, by the way.

I ALWAYS give him the first 10mm SMG I find, immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

2house2fly posted:

They've been very patient with building up to that over the lifetime of Fallout 4, so I'm sure it'll pass without issue

It absolutely won't. It blew up in their face the first time they tried it with Skyrim, has had such lovely adoption with FO4 that they have to do weekly 'free' items in the mod section to get usage statistics up, and the sole reason the game is remotely successful long-term is full-conversion level mods.

Trying to go to paid mods only is going to be a huge boondoggle yet again.

Tenzarin posted:

Another must have mod the is the one that removes the cap for food, water, and salvage per day. If there's more food than the people or if they already have enough, they don't harvest. If there's water already there they won't add the next days water in the storage. If there's almost any kind of scrap in the bench they wont collect their 1 piece of scrap per day. It's also the reason it seems the salvage tables look like they are bugged.

I'm sure they put the caps there because they knew 16 towns would turn you into a fallout millionaire. But the thing is people already do this but have to dance around this lame cap they placed. It also lets you passively build your towns up.

It also shines a huge spot light that everyone in Boston but the kid in diamond city is a moron that can't rebuild society. Ok I guess there's few settlements actually are building too, that arn't morons.

It's the kid in Diamond City, Sturges, Hancock, and the ghouls with the swimming pool. that's pretty much it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 7, 2018