Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

LordHippoman posted:

This thread is actually only here to continue sustaining Vilkacis' life force, everyone, I'm sorry I fooled you into thinking it was an LP.

I'm perfectly fine with being used for such a noble purpose!

One thing I liked about Radiant Dawn was the fact that the Lord for much of the game is a magic user. Every previous title had a warrior of some sorts as the main character. I haven't followed the later games like Awakening or Fates, did they ever do this again? MyUnit doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Radiant Dawn was a bold step in that it tried to do many things differently and actually succeeded in quite a few of them. If nothing else, it made the gameplay quite a bit more interesting than a lot of the ones previous just from how different the dynamic of the Dawn Brigade is. However, it definitely failed in quite a few aspects (story pacing, macroscopic writing, gameplay being somewhat less good on replays due to limited team options most of the game), but I still overall like it for at least trying.

Plus the hilarious consequence of a mage-lord getting a rapier equivalent turning her into a horse-and-armor locked nuclear bomb is all kinds of hilarious (even if it meant the derpy consequence of her never getting an upgrade to her best offensive spell until endgame )

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Torrannor posted:

One thing I liked about Radiant Dawn was the fact that the Lord for much of the game is a magic user. Every previous title had a warrior of some sorts as the main character. I haven't followed the later games like Awakening or Fates, did they ever do this again? MyUnit doesn't count.

Celica from 2/15 sort of counts? She can use swords too, but magic is way more useful.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Torrannor posted:

Awakening's lord uses swords (the MU uses magic and swords), and Fates is a little unusual about it; the lord IS the MU, and they start off as a manakete that can also use swords.

Celica's the closest we've come since Micaiah to a proper mage lord, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hopeandjoy posted:

Celica from 2/15 sort of counts? She can use swords too, but magic is way more useful.

Wow, and a FE 15 LP just started yesterday! Thanks for the answer. That's awesome news. And a great time for Fire Emblem LP fans on SA :)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

vilkacis posted:

Ross shouldn't be "amazing", though. Like, he's okay if you train him, but the reward isn't so much an invincible super unit (compared to if you put the same amount of effort into any other Sacred Stones character) as it is seeing him grow from zero to (possibly literally) hero. His expected speed with 50 levels and two promotions under his belt is like... 18.

Fair enough. Perhaps my judgement is clouded by the stories people have of amazing Ross' (Rossi? Russkis? Whatever.) tearing up the countryside. There's something satisfying of seeing Ross turn into this hulking bruiser, but there are plenty of others who can do what he can do.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Torrannor posted:

Wow, and a FE 15 LP just started yesterday! Thanks for the answer. That's awesome news. And a great time for Fire Emblem LP fans on SA :)
Fire Emblem Appreciation Season never truly dies, and apparently this season I'll be able to alternate between a game I've played a bunch and a game I've never played. Neat.

For this LP I have only one class/character voting preference: I want to see the return of Void.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The trainees in this game have really good luck stats and I've found that to more than make up for what other deficiencies they have.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Tearring Saga, a game by the series creator after he left Nintendo, had two armies sort of like this game, and one of the groups was led by an archer and a healer. Though obviously that isn't a Fire Emblem game, it is at least kind of neat.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

When you guys were talking about the obvious Ross option, I thought it WAS Warrior. The way I played Sacred Stones I wanted everyone to be different classes, and Ross's the only Pirate you can get if I remember correctly, so obviously I went that route, and then further into Warrior because a certain other character was already an amazing Hero.

Anyway, can't wait to see more of this LP. As my first Fire Emblem, it holds a place near and dear to my heart.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pirate can promote to Berserker or Warrior, you have to go Fighter to get to Hero

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Well, I didn't say I had the best memory. Either way, Berserker is the route I would have gone with Garcia had I used him, but I think he fell off because I liked Ross so much. I'm pretty sure someone else ended up a Berserker too, though, but I can't remember. Kinda wanna dust off my old copy and see if my stats actually ended up good or if it was just a consequence of playing on normal.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Well, I didn't say I had the best memory. Either way, Berserker is the route I would have gone with Garcia had I used him, but I think he fell off because I liked Ross so much. I'm pretty sure someone else ended up a Berserker too, though, but I can't remember. Kinda wanna dust off my old copy and see if my stats actually ended up good or if it was just a consequence of playing on normal.
I would also like to use Berserker Garcia

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Alxprit posted:

Well, I didn't say I had the best memory.

I’ll say, you’ve got it mixed up again, Garcia can’t become a Berserker. The other Berserker you’re thinking of is a pre-promote we haven’t met yet

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm about to pop open my file right now and remember everything.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Chapter 3: Another Brick In The Wall

Welcome back. We’ve got to hunt down that stolen bracelet, but first, we’ve got a new world map option! From the World Map, you can use the Armories on maps you’ve already cleared. Since I got my shopping done last time, I don’t bother, but hey, it’s there if you need it.

Our real next objective lies to the south.

After that Green Guy!

Eirika cannot ignore her countrymen’s pleas for help. She leads her group in search of the bandits’ stronghold.

“Borgo” could 100% be the name of an early Fire Emblem boss. Fits the criteria.

A few of them saw a lad matching the description of our bracelet thief. It seems a fair guess that the youth is one of these bandits.

“He had blue hair and didn’t look like any of your six stock portraits.”

Bandits…Here in Renais, our homeland. I had no idea… Burning out villages…Stealing from our people with no fear of reprisal?

It wasn’t always like this. The knights used to protect the citizenry… However, with Renais in ruins and her army tattered, law and order are hard to find. It doesn’t look like the Grado army is interested in maintaining order here. If nothing changes, Renais will continue this sad plunge into savagery.

…...

But are you all some sort of...mercenary troop?

Why do you ask?

I told him it was too dangerous, but he wouldn’t listen to me!

Please, you must calm yourself. Start at the beginning, and speak slowly.

All right…Sniff. I’m Neimi. I’m from… I used to be from a village named Lark… Except the village is gone.

Gone? What do you mean?

holy poo poo read the room eirika

The other villagers...the bandits attacked them and…

……

Neimi, what are you doing here?

Bazba’s Bandits… They have a hideout here in these mountains. That’s where Colm… Um, Colm’s my…uh…We’ve known each other since we were kids. He went to steal back something the bandits took from me…

He went alone? That’s a very dangerous thing…

She said that like four lines up, Eirika. Are you paying attention to this conversation at all?

Yes, I know. Th-that’s what I told him, but he wouldn’t listen to me.

Wait, please don’t cry. Don’t worry. We’ll find your friend and see that he’s not harmed.

Really? Really and truly? Oh, thank you! Thank you!!! I...I don’t have much money, but...I’ll do anything to help.

Your Highness? What will it be?

If the thief we’re after has gone to the bandits lair as well… Well, it seems as though we share a common cause with Neimi. She is a citizen of Renais, after all. And isn’t it our duty to defend our countrymen? I’m only sad that we weren’t here to protect her friends and neighbors… So, yes, I feel we must help her.

Very well, Neimi, I trust you can lead the way?

Er, yes...It’s this way.

I feel so… When I was little I used to go hunting with my grandfather. What I mean is I can- I’m not bad with a bow.

Really?

Uh-huh.

I see. You should remain behind and protect Princess Eirika.

I’m pretty sure Neimi could have said she was anything and Seth would have told her to remain behind and protect Princess Eirika.

“Your juggling skills will safeguard Princess Eirika.”

Meanwhile, in the other corner...

: Let’s give ‘em a warm welcome, lads. You see a stranger, stick an axe in him!

So, this is a Seize map, like Breguet’s. We’ll be progressing northeast to the boss.

There’s Bazba, but along the way we’ve got a lot of cronies to dispatch. Including a deadly new foe…

Wall!

Walls are breakable terrain. A unit can deal their Attack in damage to a wall, but you can’t double it. This counts as your attack for the turn. I didn’t actually attack this wall, because I’m going to do something cheap with it.

We also picked up a new unit!

Neimi kinda...struggles on Difficult mode. Her growths, for the most part, are pretty good, with only Defense being really awful. 60% Speed is especially nice. However, her bases are awful, and until promotion, she can only use bows.

Bows are 2-Range only, meaning she’ll get shredded by any melee unit with no chance to counter. Hell, even enemy archers will make short work of her with that awful defense, and upgrading to any sort of heavier weapon will slow her down with a constitution of 5. Neimi can turn out useful, but I don’t find it happening to me very often, and the effort required could be used on someone more reliable. If you really want a Sniper, though, you’ve only got one other choice.

So here’s some information about Ross that I totally managed to forget. As a Trainee class, Ross will gain some pretty massively accelerated experience, until he hits his first promotion at level 10. So killing the boss with Ross last map was actually kind of a waste, since any other unit (except Seth) would have benefitted about as much, and they’re harder to level.

This time we’re going to abuse this by stalling out the map and letting Ross get as many kills over walls as possible with his trusty Hatchet.

Already, results. Not a great level, but it’s something, and any time Ross wants to actually hit Skill and Res is fine with me.

It looks, however, like we’ve got a locked door in the way of progression. Maybe we’ll have to bust that wall down.

The enemies don’t do anything on their turn, and at the end of it, this guy appears.

Ha! And not a soul saw me. These bandits are easy pickings.

Huh. Chests, you say?

He opened the door!

As you probably guessed (or knew already), a quick glance at this guy’s status will tell us he’s Colm. Neimi was looking for him, so let’s let them chat.

I told you to wait for me, didn’t I?

I couldn’t… It’s too dangerous. C’mon, let’s go home.

We don’t have a home! Don’t you get it? Look, just leave everything to me. I can take care of it in a flash, but I don’t need a clumsy oaf like you tagging along.

But...but...

Oh, this is ridiculous. We’ll talk later. Don’t leave my side, Neimi.

I-All right.

And, with that, we recruit Colm to our side.

Much like Neimi, Colm has some pretty nice growths in stats that matter for him. Speed especially. Also like Neimi, he has rough bases, almost across the board, that will hamstring his early game usefulness, without the crutch of Ross’ early leveling ability.

He’s also locked to a single weapon, Swords, even having to work his way up from an E rank. Combat-wise, Colm is pretty unimpressive, at least at the beginning of the game, and he doesn’t really have the great growths to scale into an endgame god most of the time.

That said, Colm is mostly a utility character, and his utility is EXTREMELY good. Want to use him or not, you’ve...sorta got no choice for a while. Thankfully, he's pretty dodgy, so sometimes he'll survive situations he really shouldn't.

Here’s the Colm Problem. Even with that spicy 10 Speed, awful Con and Strength means he can’t even double, or do significant damage, to this generic Brigand. In his defense, this is Difficult mode.

So I don’t do that. Early game walling usually begins and ends with Gilliam or Garcia. Or Seth, if you want to go that route.

Especially when he manages to do stuff like this.

Just assume I’m doing this every turn. The poor Brigand here doesn’t know how to break the wall. :smith:

Now, witness the power of Neimi!

...Archers, you have one gimmick.

Alright fine here comes the big guy again.

Well, let’s check out the reason to use Colm. As a Thief, he can open Chests and Doors. Unfortunately, doing this eats one use of his Lockpick. Don’t worry too much about it, they’re pretty easily replaceable. In fact, they might as well not exist!

...Again, just wait a couple games for them to figure that out.

This isn’t much of a treasure. But it’ll do.

dammit ross

This feels mocking, given the circumstance.

Before we start to move towards clearing this next room, it’s worth noting that the Archer can hit outside the room. So just leaving Colm open there might be a bad idea. I’m sure we can find a way around that, though.

Alright, there we go.

Huh. He had loot on him. Hang on…

What about this guy?

Ooh. Alright, so, if you see an enemy with an item highlighted in green, that means it will drop on death. The Door and Chest keys are consumables that allow you to open a...door or chest once.

One last underwhelming treasure for the road.

We’ve cleared out the west side of the map now, so we’re about to head into the heart of the bandit lair.

To do that, we’ll have to smash down a wall.

Gilliam and Neimi manage fine, and now…

I can just do this poo poo again. Rise, Ross, RISE!

Wait a second! That guy to the east is stealing my wall strategy!

ross please :negative:

Well, two can abuse Wall mechanics.

Franz with the Javelin here should be equipped to lure out that Archer and clear the way for Colm to start his picking.

Bait taken. Unfortunately, Franz missed.

Slowly but surely...but I’d like some Speed. Or Defense.

Now Ross has two keys!

Moulder patches Ross up after that Hand Axe hits.

This time Franz hits.

And the remaining ranged enemies converge on Ross. They are unsuccesful.

Oh thank God a good level my comments are justified now, HE’S GOOD, ROSS IS GOOD FOLKS

Look! He’s even a thief now! Kinda!

Alright, now I’ll stop stalling and move on into the last room. Second to last. Whatever.

Since the nearest enemy is a Thief, we’ll need someone to match his speed, and hopefully hold weapon advantage. Vanessa fits that bill.

With a slim hit on her turn, and swapping to Iron afterwards, Vanessa dispatches her foe.

The level up quality has been rapidly decreasing since that Breguet map.

With two Brigands here, we’ll need a beefy wall to lure them in. Garcia fits that bill just fine.

Ross finishes his career as an amateur thief with...a Javelin. I mean, it’s good, but I’d have preferred something I couldn’t just buy one town over.

I forgot to equip Garcia’s Hand Axe, like the brilliant strategist I am, so I use the Trading trick to make Eirika shove it in his hands.

Also Seth can one-shot a wall. I don’t do it, I just wanted to show it off.

garcia

Garcia.

Alright, change of plans.

GARCIA

Okay, so, this has gotten to be a sticky situation. With Garcia that low, our other units will have to dispatch at least this Steel Axe goon. Franz comes very, very close.

Eirika can sneak around and easily land the killing blow.

:negative: My wonderful, almost perfect Eirika, shattered.

Well, let’s hope for the best.

Whoop! Not bad, Neimi.

Vanessa has no fear of Barrels. Barrels mean nothing when you have a flying horse. Indoors.

Look don’t worry about it she kills the guy. But this last goon seems...suspicious.

He’s not exactly a great Mercenary with that 11 Atk, but I didn’t come here to make fun of him. I came here to scope out that Antitoxin. It cures poison, not a great item, but it makes for a nice demonstration of another mechanic.

It won’t drop on death, but I still want it. Let’s see if we can make that work.

First we lure him out.

Then Colm heads in. Here’s the Steal command.

If an enemy has an item, not a weapon on them, and Colm’s speed isn’t lower than theirs, he can take it!

Nice.

Unfortunately, he can’t attack on the same turn that he does this. Moulder can prepare him for a counter, though.

And that’s the end of the map’s last minion. Now for Bazba.

Unlike Bone, Bazba’s much more powerful than your average bandit. The combination of his Throne seating and powerful weapons makes him a force to be reckoned with.

Thankfully, Franz can still do some damage. I park him next to the Throne.

: Hope you’ve enjoyed your life, cause it’s about to end!

They trade blows, and Franz comes out the worse for wear. Moulder will need to patch him up...but that puts Moulder in some danger from Bazba’s Hand Axe. Let’s help him out, with a little maneuver I like to call the Rescue Shuffle.

Garcia picks him up.

Gilliam takes Moulder from Gilliam.

Then he drops him out of range, safe from Bazba and able to move again next turn. I can pretty much repeat this as much as I want, and it really cheapens most of the non-moving bosses in the game.

If you’re annoyed that I’m using this silly loophole, please imagine two burly men repeatedly hurling a mustached priest around the room, only to repeat the process, and you’ll feel better.

After another turn of this, Bazba’s low, and we can move in for the kill.

With Eirika and Franz combining their attacks, Bazba meets his final end.

I’m getting off of this map because I think it put me back in Shadow Dragon somehow.

But before that, Moulder can patch up some of our injured allies for some HP.

Acceptable enough.

alright gently caress borgo bye

I could’ve robbed these bandits blind on my own, thank you very much.

Getting hit twice by any of them would have left him a smear on the floor.

I was...worried...

H-Hold on! I’m sorry! C’mon! Don’t start bawling!

Aaah…sniff… No more…dangerous stuff… by yourself…

Since this game doesn’t have any like, action markers or asterisks, it’s acceptable to assume Neimi just likes to say “sniff” for no reason.

Fine, fine. I promise. But you have to stop crying all the time. All right?

Uh-huh…

Oh, yeah. Take a look at this.

Hm?

Remember how you cried when we left Lark? You thought you’d lost this. I knew it was your mother’s, and I knew those thugs had taken it. So I went and got it back! See what happens when you give me a job? Guaranteed results!

Hey Wh-why are you crying this time? C’mon! Stop! Knock it off! Please, Neimi…

SURPRISE SETH

I think you’d best return Princess Eirika’s bracelet to her now.

Seth manages to unnerve Colm by leaning in uncomfortably close and looking very sternly at his shoulder.

…… Tell me, boy, is this the path you’ve chosen for your life? If this girl matters to you, you must quit this dark road.

Uh, yeah...Right.

The Renais “Scared Straight” program consists entirely of Seth riding to your house and looking disapprovingly at you.

We’re leaving. Do not expect to be rescued again. Farewell.

…Hey, wait! Let us go with you. You can’t just leave us here.

Pardon?

Neimi and I… We’ve got no home to return to. No matter where we go, there’s just gonna be more fighting. You’re mercenaries, right? Well, then take us with you. I’m a handy guy to have around. I know I can help you out.

I would prefer not, but I’ll agree with Eirika’s decision. Our duty is a grave one however. We’ve no time to waste shepherding you.

Seth, don’t you ruin these free recruits for me!

That’s fine with us.

Here you are, Princess.

Thank you, Seth. You know...Father gave me this bracelet when I was a child. It only has one match in the world, and my brother wears it.

Lady Eirika, you must take care never to lose that bracelet. It is the proof that King Fado entrusted the future of Renais to you, his children.

Seth...what is it you’re not telling me?

It’s nice that Eirika can read the foreshadowing pretty well.

…I apologize, Your Highness. When the times comes, I will tell you what I know. Until then, I…

I see. If you tell me it must wait, then it can wait. I trust you.

Then we should get moving again. We’re safe from bandits for now, but I can’t guarantee for how long.

This… This is just the beginning, isn’t it? If we hope to free out homeland, it will take battle after battle…

About 20 of them.

I’m afraid so, Your Highness. The day you and Prince Ephraim win back the freedom and honor of Renais will come. But I fear it lies at the end of a long and treacherous road.

I know. I must fight for that day. In the names of all those I could not save, I’ll lead us home. Let’s go. My brother awaits!

But before we meet Ephraim, we’ve got to do some peeking in on the VILLAIN ZONE.

Tell me, how fares the campaign in Renais?

Signs of chaos abound. Brigands ride without fear, and the peasant’s cries fill the air.

“so pretty much a success.”

Hmm… If Grado’s troops do not enforce public order, the situation will only worsen. And still, His Majesty has given us no orders. Perhaps, just this once, I should take the lead…

Breaking our long held alliance with Renais–invading without warning… He’s never been this way before. He abhors violence.

……

And have you noticed the recent promotions? Who are they going to?

This is the medieval equivalent of jealous watercooler gossip.

I feel this invasion is the prelude to a much larger war. I feel as though His Majesty is no longer the man we knew him to be.

Glen, it doesn’t matter what any of us might think of our orders.

Careful, Selena, you’re starting to get a little Camus on you.

I know that, Selena. And yet…

That’s enough. Both of you. His Majesty summons us. Let’s hope we can learn a little during our audience.

You are the hammers that drive the nails of the empire’s will… You will continue to operate...without hesitation...wherever I send you.

By your command.

In Your Majesty’s name.

Yes, sire…

…However, I know this… You, my Imperial Three, lack the strength to conquer the remaining nations alone. In the invasion of Renais, certain soldiers performed beyond expectation.

Come.

I know what you’re thinking. Those villains seemed pretty sensible. Well, let’s bring in the hateable ones.

Shadow Wrys.

I am Riev, given the name Blood Beryl by His Majesty. I know I am a newcomer, but I pray for your favor.

...Understood.

Smugman.

Seems I’m to be called Tiger Eye… You’re a fine lookin’ lass, aren’t you? Yeah, I’m gonna love working with you.

Sometimes the blink animation is a gift.

And a familiar face,

I’ll save you worthless dogs from your own incompetence. You’ll thank me later.

Valter… You scum!

Peace, Glen.

A team building exercise is desperately in order.

Selena. Caellach. You will bring me Frelia.

Yes, sire.

Sure. Good as done.

Riev. Duessel. You are charged with the defense of the empire. ...I will speak to you individually with more details later.

Heh heh heh… Understood, Your Majesty.

By your command, Sire.

And me?

Valter, Glen… I have other duties for you…

Yes, Your Majesty?

Renais has fallen, but Princess Eirika still eludes us… Her brother, Prince Ephraim, leads a resistance within our borders. Bring the siblings to me.

Well, I guess we’ll still have that rear end in a top hat to deal with.

Join me next time when we take a hard swerve into a completely different little subplot.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 11, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have any edits for this one :saddowns:

LordHippoman posted:

Neimi can turn out useful, but I don’t find it happening to me very often, and the effort required could be used on someone more reliable. ... This time we’re going to abuse this by stalling out the map and letting Ross get as many kills over walls as possible with his trusty Hatchet.

This is archer discrimination, I'm going to sue :colbert:

I mean Neimi does suck, but it's still funny seeing you go straight from turning your nose up at spending effort on a unit to I'mma use the trainee!

quote:

The level up quality has been rapidly decreasing since that Breguet map.

No, no, I'm sorry but you're going to Fire Emblem jail for complaining about a peg knight level with strength in it.

quote:

If you’re annoyed that I’m using this silly loophole, please imagine two burly men repeatedly hurling a mustached priest around the room, only to repeat the process, and you’ll feel better.

Fanart? Anyone?! Fanart?!?

quote:

Shadow Wrys.

A shameful shadow. Not bald, not as powerful.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had a really great Wil once, but yeah Archers wen't unloved by the GBA Fire Emblem games. I'm starting to wonder if I had the great Wil and bad Hector in the same run now. The true cursed cart.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I think we all know what's happened with the king. FE's stories do get a bit samey.

Fans can be a bit weird, too.

(I just wanted to share these, really)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Neimi and Colm would fit right into FE7 with their growths (considering their starting stats are very similar to Rebecca and Matthew respectively), but they're a little off in this game. One perk for those two is their support, which unlocks immediately. Even without trying, you can get those two to B rank in a few chapters.

I think Neimi is ok. She's no world breaker like Seth, but she's a starting archer so eventually she'll get to shoot a few things out of the sky, right? ...Right?

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 7, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LordHippoman posted:

Gilliam takes Moulder from Gilliam.

Gotta give credit here: Gilliam getting Replicate several games early was one hell of an unexpected move.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Your Garcia seems oddly unwilling to kill.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Sorry for the extremely dirty work, but It's all I could think seeing them like that:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

New Wave Jose posted:

Sorry for the extremely dirty work, but It's all I could think seeing them like that:

:drat:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I will fight anyone claiming Neimi and Colm aren't good. :( I loved those 2 on my playthrough. I think it's the instant relationship that helps. In my game it would basically be Neime and Colm clearing 1 side of the map and everyone else doing a different side of the map. This sometimes got a bit hairy in maps without chokepoints.

Also I can't be the only one who snickers at the simplified portaits in the corner.

I mean look at Franz' excellent derp face. :allears:

I loved Sacred Stones playing through it, though some of the portaits were a bit weird.
Like Garcia who seems to be perpetually surprised.(I stopped using him because of how he looked)
Eirika...I have no idea what she is doing. Her hair seems to imply she's in motion?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Neimi sucks in normal mode as well. Such is the life of a bowlocked unit. If there were some flying units around like FE6 hard mode wyverns riders it would have been a different story, but alas.

Colm on the other hand can at least chip axe users and not get hit. For now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Apparently Neimi was part of my strong promoted units when I booted up my savefile like I said I would. As a matter of fact, she and Ross are the earliest characters I was still using. I mean, of course she's better on promotion... but the Sniper you get later in the game is almost definitely worth using.

Also, for those that aren't aware, thieves that happen to be on the enemy's side can steal your items, too. This was demonstrated to me thoroughly when a few maps later from this one, Colm came across an enemy thief who was faster than he was. The thief took his lockpick and I couldn't get it back.

...That was an awkward next several maps until I got a different thief-type.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

New Wave Jose posted:

Excellent.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I think a key part that makes Neimi and Colm not suck, at least for me, is how fast they support each other and how good their support bonuses are. They've been pretty reliable for me because of that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Neimi doesn't have to be bow locked forever :ssh:

Colm is basically Matthew. Great early game utility, is going to get deployed a lot, but really shouldn't be fed kills or exp because there are significantly better assassin options. Although even Matthew is better off because he's fairly vital in the early chapters of HHM, whereas Colm never really needs to fight, and he's even more replaceable than Matthew late game for reasons I won't get into until it happens.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

vilkacis posted:

This is archer discrimination, I'm going to sue :colbert:

I mean Neimi does suck, but it's still funny seeing you go straight from turning your nose up at spending effort on a unit to I'mma use the trainee!

Oh, I will make no effort to conceal it, I am massively biased towards Ross. I just like him a lot, non-objectively, because I have the good luck to keep getting good Rosses when I'm playing this game and not recording it.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I think Neimi is ok. She's no world breaker like Seth, but she's a starting archer so eventually she'll get to shoot a few things out of the sky, right? ...Right?

There are a few very annoying flying enemies in this game that she can take down well, but they're unfortunately not all that common on every map.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gotta give credit here: Gilliam getting Replicate several games early was one hell of an unexpected move.

I've hidden a second Gilliam in every update so far, and whoever finds them all first will win the deed to my secret Fire Emblem themed chocolate factory.

New Wave Jose posted:

There is no need to apologize, I love it. :allears:

Darth TNT posted:

Also I can't be the only one who snickers at the simplified portaits in the corner.

The Fire Emblem Wiki has a whole gallery of just the corner portraits and I'm sorely tempted to bring back the Art Gallery thing just for that.

XainZero posted:

I think a key part that makes Neimi and Colm not suck, at least for me, is how fast they support each other and how good their support bonuses are. They've been pretty reliable for me because of that.

Neimi's Fire affinity is definitely a pretty big positive for her support partners. Also, yeah, I didn't show it in the update (because it's already like 140 pictures) but Neimi and Colm could support on this chapter, it's a ridiculously fast rate of support gain.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I know people love Snipers, but you get an amazing Sniper handed to you on a silver platter later in the game. I prefer to make Neimi a Ranger, pair her up with Colm, and by mid-game they turn into a whirlwind of crits and death (assuming they aren't stat screwed - nothing saves a unit from that.)

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Darth TNT posted:

I will fight anyone claiming Neimi and Colm aren't good. :( I loved those 2 on my playthrough. I think it's the instant relationship that helps. In my game it would basically be Neime and Colm clearing 1 side of the map and everyone else doing a different side of the map. This sometimes got a bit hairy in maps without chokepoints.

I mean look at Franz' excellent derp face. :allears:

I wouldn't say Neimi and Colm aren't good, but they aren't amazing to me, though they do have some nice promotion options at least.

I also liked the simplified portraits. Eirika's is so :3: to me. Heck, even the villain ones are pretty nice.

Well, most of them...

Alxprit posted:

Also, for those that aren't aware, thieves that happen to be on the enemy's side can steal your items, too. This was demonstrated to me thoroughly when a few maps later from this one, Colm came across an enemy thief who was faster than he was. The thief took his lockpick and I couldn't get it back.

Oh dear god that happened to me too! It was a later map-an outdoors one I think-and there was an enemy thief I wasn't paying any attention to, cause the only thing they do is steal poo poo and run the little fuckers.If I did, I would have known he was faster than Colm. Imagine my surprise-and anger-when he mugged my Colm for his Lockpicks and he instantly became worthless. There was a time in FE7 I think, where I ran into an enemy thief whos speed was exactly the same as my thief, and they just started a stealing war for a while. That was more hilarious.

LordHippoman posted:

Neimi's Fire affinity is definitely a pretty big positive for her support partners. Also, yeah, I didn't show it in the update (because it's already like 140 pictures) but Neimi and Colm could support on this chapter, it's a ridiculously fast rate of support gain.

Certain support options build faster than others. Some you need to work your rear end off to get up, others practically build themselves.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

it's a ridiculously fast rate of support gain.

Not quite. Neimi and Colm get +3 support points per turn, which is high, but not the highest or even unusual (+3 seems to be the standard for characters who are meant to be close and compatible with each other, whereas +4 is reserved for actual or de factor family members).

What they do have is starting with 80 support points with each other. You need 80 points for each support level; thus Neimi and Colm can acquire a C rank support immediately, but they're not actually going to go from C to B any faster than Eirika and Seth, and in fact slower than Ross and Garcia (who have +4 with each other).

They're pretty obviously the tutorial for the support system even if you're not on Easy, as no one else starts with anywhere close to that level of initial support; the next highest starting support points go to Ross and Garcia at 35.

Unfortunately, Colm's support options after Neimi are pretty dire. He really wants another +Attack partner (Fire, Wind, Light, or Anima) but his only other option there is Moulder, with whom he starts at zero points and gains +2 per turn.

Why yes, that is 120 turns of two units with wildly divergent roles on your map standing next to each other. This is actually as bad as it gets, as outside of one exception no pair has a +1 growth with each other.

There's a reason why Path of Radiance changed the support system to "battles deployed with each other". Why they didn't stick with that is anyone's guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Serifina posted:

I know people love Snipers, but you get an amazing Sniper handed to you on a silver platter later in the game. I prefer to make Neimi a Ranger, pair her up with Colm, and by mid-game they turn into a whirlwind of crits and death (assuming they aren't stat screwed - nothing saves a unit from that.)

People want to love snipers, at least. The concept is cool in theory but in practice the complete lack of 1 range options is a significant issue. To my knowledge the only FE that's tried to solve it was FE10, but even then crossbows were too weak outside of nuking fliers in hilarious fashion, and the double bow was so goddamn OP Shinon (or Rolf) could basically solo half the endgame with it. They also gave Marksmen baked in 2-3 range which certainly added some utility but still didn't quite resolve the fact that they're useless during enemy phase, which is when the bulk of killing is done.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I soured on Colm when he got mugged by an enemy thief, too. Although that was partly my fault for under-levelling him. Somehow I could never get Neimi to work.

For supports, the issue for me is that the combat-effective supports are often not the most interesting supports, or the ones that end up with paired endings (because Fire Emblem has more emphasis on shipping than Rule the Waves).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sydin posted:

People want to love snipers, at least. The concept is cool in theory but in practice the complete lack of 1 range options is a significant issue. To my knowledge the only FE that's tried to solve it was FE10, but even then crossbows were too weak outside of nuking fliers in hilarious fashion, and the double bow was so goddamn OP Shinon (or Rolf) could basically solo half the endgame with it. They also gave Marksmen baked in 2-3 range which certainly added some utility but still didn't quite resolve the fact that they're useless during enemy phase, which is when the bulk of killing is done.

Iirc fates made archers in general just plain loving busted.
A Mt and Acc boost across the board for Bows, Bowfaire and the just the innate ability to NEVER, EVER MISS, mean snipers in fates were just busted as gently caress.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

You're going to want to read the Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia LP that also just started then, because Archers are utter monsters there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bow users were better in fates by virtue of nerfing most other options and giving bows a triangle advantage. javelins/Hand axes/throwing swords can't attack more than once and had major speed penalties. Bows had advantage against hidden weapons, the best weapon type in the game. Hoshidian archers also had Quick Draw, a skill that gives +4 attack PER hit when attacking.

The special archer for Hoshido also had a special ability attached to his bow that lets him ignore all terrain movement penalties outside of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Trasson posted:

Not quite. Neimi and Colm get +3 support points per turn, which is high, but not the highest or even unusual (+3 seems to be the standard for characters who are meant to be close and compatible with each other, whereas +4 is reserved for actual or de factor family members).

What they do have is starting with 80 support points with each other. You need 80 points for each support level; thus Neimi and Colm can acquire a C rank support immediately, but they're not actually going to go from C to B any faster than Eirika and Seth, and in fact slower than Ross and Garcia (who have +4 with each other).

They're pretty obviously the tutorial for the support system even if you're not on Easy, as no one else starts with anywhere close to that level of initial support; the next highest starting support points go to Ross and Garcia at 35.

Unfortunately, Colm's support options after Neimi are pretty dire. He really wants another +Attack partner (Fire, Wind, Light, or Anima) but his only other option there is Moulder, with whom he starts at zero points and gains +2 per turn.

Why yes, that is 120 turns of two units with wildly divergent roles on your map standing next to each other. This is actually as bad as it gets, as outside of one exception no pair has a +1 growth with each other.

There's a reason why Path of Radiance changed the support system to "battles deployed with each other". Why they didn't stick with that is anyone's guess.

Yeah PoR's support system was amazing. It screwed Stefan, but the rest was just natural build-up and it was great. If I had to guess, at least in terms of the WAIFU emblems, I think they didn't keep the system there because they ridiculously broadened the support system to allow pretty much any opposite gender pair to support and removed the harsh limits on supports. Since it's a pretty big mechanical advantage, automatically letting them spread like that is pretty excessive. At least they did a lot to shorten the time it takes for support pairs to develop so you'd actually see the supports develop. The supports are pretty terrible overall, but that's a different problem....

• Locked thread